Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargame AirLand Battle

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Accepted you both. I may be around a bit later. At the moment I'm pingponging back and forth between the kitchen and the computer, cooking fancy food. :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Corporate_Jew_Master, J_C, DramaticPopcorn

I'll be in-game for the next 3-4 hours, looking to try out my potato or kwanzania decks If you guys wanna do some 2v2/3v3/4v4 kkkodexia vs randoms I'm game. Although given jews 109-19 W/L ratio I wouldn't want to be on whatever team he isn't on. That shit's scary. :eek:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Add me on Steambook or in-game as well ( Koolhan), though I won't be able to play until early next week.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Corporate_Jew_Master, J_C, DramaticPopcorn

I'll be in-game for the next 3-4 hours, looking to try out my potato or kwanzania decks If you guys wanna do some 2v2/3v3/4v4 kkkodexia vs randoms I'm game. Although given jews 109-19 W/L ratio I wouldn't want to be on whatever team he isn't on. That shit's scary. :eek:
Sorry, no time for it today. Maybe on the weekend.

we should make a one large codex battle
What's your Steamname Konjad? I'll add you.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Careful, Matt... You just suggested allowing Konjad to contact you whenever he feels like it. Down that road lies madness!​

Also, my potatodeck just won its first 1v1 on highway to Oslo!

Recon flies over to see where AA is, evac soon as it fires. Follow up with artillery barrage and napalm, then send in the tanks! Rinse and repeat.

WWMoA1V.jpg

: x

au5yMB0.jpg

So what do the experts think about my deck? I may have copied Corporate_Jew_Master a bit, well just a little bit... I could have like everyone else just do pure soviet deck with all the expensive toys but then I'm not big fan of putting all eggs in one basket so instead of one mi-28 I'd rather get 2 mi-24v etc. I'm still deciding if I like Su24MP more than napalm drops. Also I'm not sure if my vehicle section is worth bothering with. Afghanskis arent much of AA. Way too short range, most of the time they wont even stun unless you buy way too many and helicopters are covered by BMP's an Strelas and Mi-2.. and mi-24. They do kill infantry good.. but then what doesn't? Sdkfz as far as recoiless guns are considered is pretty nice but I'm not sure if getting more atgm wouldn't be just better. I like opening with a couple or more strelas for my AA. Most NATO players I face in pubs try sending sead right away to start chipping my aa and end up loosing their planes without killing anything. Once I'm confident sead planes won't be a problem I call in buks (or I dont if there is no need). I would like to have some mortars for nice smoke covers but then my support section is pretty crowded already.

So you suggest getting some konkurs instead of one section of motostrelki? As for tanks 14 front armor and 6 acc 16 ap 7pm tanks are bad? Sure not as good as leo 2's but then 60 points. Best tanks I can get are I think T64bv and T80bv which are 135/130 a piece. They have 3 more armor on front, better gun (really good gun in case of t64) and get atgm's (but that's what for second line of bmp's is for). However I get 2 T72M1 for lower price. I dunno man. Wait or is it about regular T72? Well they aren't very accurate that's for sure, but these guys are more of a cannon fodder for risky flanking manoeuvres. I'll be putting them on field in larger numbers only when game goes for so long I'll run out of better tanks. Hmm.. I suppose I don't need 2 sections of them.. So what would you suggest?

Lacks recon infantry? I got 2 sections! As for manpads, assuming I'll switch out one motostrelki for konkurs teams and then switch one for manpads, I'll be running a bit thin on infantry with just one section.. Not to mention where possiblly could I get more infantry in choppas? Well I do have Czech special forces in helis, just 6 of them though.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Lacks recon infantry? I got 2 sections! As for manpads, assuming I'll switch out one motostrelki for konkurs teams and then switch one for manpads, I'll be running a bit thin on infantry with just one section.. Not to mention where possiblly could I get more infantry in choppas? Well I do have Czech special forces in helis, just 6 of them though.

Yes, you need more than 3 stacks of infantry. Baseline is one stack of MANPADS + one stack of AV + 2-3 stacks of general purpose infantry + one stack of infantry for helicopter dicking = 5-6. If you're on an armor doctrine with limited infantry, well... then your infantry is limited. You still need the MANPADS and the AV though.

Spesnas isn't recon but a speciality unit (anti infantry infantry). Look for some recon infantry with very good optics and a helicopter.

Talking about T-72, I ran a T-72 deck and the standard T-72 is very very bad. The higher tier units of that series perform a lot better though, so YMMV. The ones you took are all shoddy, though.

You definitely want some high performance tanks (130+) accompanied by decent spamtanks (50+). Either/or does NOT work. Personally I'd recommend T-80B accompanied by T-62M-1.

the t-72 series is pretty bad. T64 and T80 are go

Couldn't have been more wrong.

T-72 is the only way to go for an offensive tank as pact. T-64 Bs and BMs are good on the defensive and open fields due to atgm and gun accuracy/rof. Any T-80 other than T-80A and T-80U are pretty much a waste of points unless you go Cat B armored and spam T-80Bs. (not recommended)

T-72 BI is the equivalent of the Abrams only it shits on every Abrams but the 135 point one from great height. T-72 A is an excellent tank for it's price with good armor, somewhat decent AP and a Stabiliser which makes it very useful for offensives.

T-72 MIs and Ms are also useful as pact minors. MIs are especially brutal. If vette'd they will take out tanks with twice their price tag, especially after the patch. (they have 16 ap and the east german ones have 18 ap)

The trick is to get them closer and use them in conjunction with artillery/smoke where their mediocre accuracy won't matter. (if they are veterans accuracy won't matter much anyway)

Even the stock t-72 is very good for 35 points when you need a meatshield tank that doesn't die the moment something spots it although I wouldn't recommend them for soviet decks when there are so many choices for better tanks.

never deploy without MANPADS.

As soviets you don't even need them. Get 75 point tunguskas, Buk-Mi that you can juggle on and off the moment a SEAD appears (which are fodder for said tunguskas) and MT-LB Strellas that fire on the move, have an insane ROF and can shut down airlanes like nothing else.

When going for armored soviet I just take Strelkis in BMP-1D, Konkurs infantry then either Spetznaz for napalm launcher or Strelkis in BMP 2 obr 1986 (best atgm vehicle in the game)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

Sorry, but polish T-72 is shit tier, as well as standard T-72. T-72 A/B all well and good but below that it's just popping moles for any halfway decent NATO player. And let us not forget that T-72B performs absolute shit for a 120CP tank.

Edit: The T-72M Jaguar isn't actually too bad. The more you know... Still, I'd get rid of the standard T-72.

Sorry, but polish T-72 is shit tier, as well as standard T-72. T-72 A/B all well and good but below that it's just popping moles for any halfway decent NATO player.

Edit: The T-72M Jaguar isn't actually too bad. The more you know... Still, I'd get rid of the standard T-72.

Pact minor stock t-72s are actually better than the soviet ones...a couple of stats are higher.

Still a pretty good meatshield tank when you don't wanna sacrifice IFVs.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Regarding MANPADS, that's a religious thing. I always take them, because I don't trust the swiss army knive of Soviet AA to hit a garage door if it was in front of it. MANPAD accuracy for some reasons is just leagues ahead of any stationary.

At least when I play them. Then comes along some level 1 noobs and one shots thunderbirds with his tunguska.

Edit: looks like i have to update my unit stats database again *sigh*

Soviets have the best AA in the game. 3 Tunguskas and 1 BUK will keep nato tears flowing as their BRRRRRTs keep crashing down without accomplishing anything. Never had an issue with it.

Try spreading them in a net. 2 Tunguskas up front, BUK in the back and one tunguska on it's side.

Spesnas isn't recon but a speciality unit (anti infantry infantry). Look for some recon infantry with very good optics and a helicopter.
Both Spetsnaz VMF and Czech SF have very good optics, additionally mothertruckers do 33km/h so I can move them up and scout ahead rather effectively.

So I guess I'll be getting some better armor instead regular t72 (frankly I ended up not using them much anyway), are T64bv and T64BM ok? I also think I'll get Dana's instead of Malka's, they are really nice but you'd need to compliment them with some mortars imho. I'll be switching Infantry to:
When going for armored soviet I just take Strelkis in BMP-1D, Konkurs infantry then either Spetznaz for napalm launcher or Strelkis in BMP 2 obr 1986 (best atgm vehicle in the game)
BMP-1D is nice for assaulting postions with its grenade launcher and bit of extra armor and it's not like regular bmp would get to use it's atgm much in this situation. Dunno why I didn't include it before, slipped my mind. Can't get the 1986 BMP though, it's prototype. Well this means infantry in trucks goes out. I liked having them but I guess I can't be picky with 3 slots..

That wargame guide you posted is pretty nice, kinda on obvious side (infantry in buildings is super effective etc.) but that's expected from a guide. Well I'm not even halfway through so chances are it gets better.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So what do the experts think about my deck?

I'm by no means an expert. But I'd drop the FOB for another card of Urals. Or just drop it entirely. The only time you really need the 10k supply in a FOB is if you're planning to do massed cross-map artillery. Otherwise it's 100 points you may as well use to have another tank or two at the start, and 100 points your opponents can score off of you once they know where the FOB is at. It also locks down your artillerys position somewhat. It's way, WAY more micro-intensive to send trucks back and forth between your FOB and the front than simply calling in more trucks and sending the empty ones off to wherever.

Since you're doing a mixed pact deck, I really, REALLY recommend you get one of the Polish SU7-BKL. Why? This is why:

Napalm never goes out of style. Best way to deal with infantry entrenched in buildings.

For antiair in a mixed pact deck, Tunguskas are pretty good. Just be sure you turn off their gun and keep them at missiles only until you're certain the enemy SEAD planes are gone. The missiles are infrared but the gun uses radar. BUKs are also pretty solid, but suspectible to SEADs. Basically you want long-range radar AA to take out bombers, medium-range infrared AA to take out fighters and short-medium range infrared or minigun AA to deal with helos.

Spetsnatz is way overkill for recon. They are - as others have said - anti-infantry infantry. Just get regular people with very good+ optics. Their job is to stay hidden somewhere, not to go toe to toe with enemies.

You need a proper heavy tank. Yes, they cost 100+ points, but noone says you're spamming them. They're your front-line tanks you use to advance once you're sure the flanks are safe (side armor is a lot thinner). They'll absorb the first salvo of ATGMs from the front and laugh while the rest of your tanks unload the rape.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If anyone needs another good guide video, take a look at this:

The first 20 minutes is all about decks, might be interesting for you.

I'm by no means an expert. But I'd drop the FOB for another card of Urals. Or just drop it entirely. The only time you really need the 10k supply in a FOB is if you're planning to do massed cross-map artillery. Otherwise it's 100 points you may as well use to have another tank or two at the start, and 100 points your opponents can score off of you once they know where the FOB is at. It also locks down your artillerys position somewhat. It's way, WAY more micro-intensive to send trucks back and forth between your FOB and the front than simply calling in more trucks and sending the empty ones off to wherever.
Since you're doing a mixed pact deck, I really, REALLY recommend you get one of the Polish SU7-BKL.
FOB however is cheapest in points and I use it up anyway (unless game is really short due to one side getting steamrolled), you can resupply gunships too since they're fast enough to make trip. Besides it isn't THAT micro intensive, just move fast empty trucks to fob and bring them back whenever you need them.
I had napalm planes there, just testing new stuff.
As for spetsnaz. Here is question, what happens when my guys run into regular recon units? Which isn't unlikely scenario. Also you can hunt down atgm teams hiding in forests and generally be a nuisance to the other guy.

EDIT: Yup, SF for recon is fantastic, just got out of game where I killed 2 cv's and about 4 to 5 rolands with them. As long as there is enough places on map to sneak about you can be real pain in the ass with these guys. You know like killing CV hiding in treeline before assaulting reinforcement point, whoops can't bring reinforcements any more. I'll be switching bomber for napalm drop, they are really nice, fast, very good ecm but napalm will be simply of more use to me. Also I'll be testing czech 120mm mortar PRAM, for that calibre fuckers fire pretty fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom