Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargame AirLand Battle

NOTE: Nevermind what this scrub says about planes, been playing lotsa games with Soviet, Czechoslovak and French Battlegroups without using any planes and winning with astronomical w/l ratios. That could be because no one knows how to use them yet, although some weird tactics such as using Czechoslovak smoke bomb planes to mask your infantry movements as they go to machete rape their tanks are very successful.

For those of you who played European Escalation, you are gonna be pleasantly surprised with the graphics and unit cohesion. Even though it's still in beta your tanks don't turn their backs and sides to the enemy everytime they move nor become full fodder for overpowered ATGMs that end up making the game a grindfest.

Gameplay is much more fluid and mobile, what with the introduction of airpower and all and digging down your anti tank and anti air units won't guarantee you victory. Micromanagement is as equally important as in pre patch European Escalation as well as positioning and flanking. The balance between attacker and defender is pretty much equal. It is impossible to fortify the entire sector by spreading out 10 units of Fagots/Milans and destroying every mechanized force coming your way. Misdirection and a fluid defence are back in the game.

Now the problem with it being beta is that they have for the moment only some battlegroups (each with totally different units) per side available. Those are:

NATO:
US Marine Corp (infantry focused, cheap and weak tanks for taking care of enemy infantry)
British BG (only tanks that can go toe to toe with the soviet T-80s but go slower than death)
French BG (fast tanks with titanium armor up front and wet paper armor everywhere else, also fast badass infantry, very well suited to attack and flanking, my favourite nato bg)
Danish BG (good all around)
Swedish BG (never played them, told they suck balls)
Norwegian BG (never played either, also infantry focused apparently)
West German BG (good medium tanks, no atgm infantry, lots of infantry cannon fodder)

PACT:
Soviet BG (heavy tanks and BMPs, strong all round, best AA in the game, kinda op in the right hands)
Polish BG (medium to bad tanks, very good infantry : x )
Czechoslovak (good medium tanks, best close quarters anti tank infantry and my favourite artillery unit, the DANA)
East German BG (zerg. cheap everything, works wonders when supporting a soviet battlegroup push)

It goes without saying that they are adding in new units by the shovel and that decks will make an appearance later on. Campaign is not available at the moment but it will be set in Scandinavia.

All in all I am very satisfied with this. Wargame EE was my best purchase of last year, have a feeling this is gonna be the same.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What about the single player campaign? any word if it's going to have a bit more production value than a bunch of single scenarios cobbled together?

No idea. The campaign in EE was a bunch of semi hard missions with harder side missions to gather stars for multiplayer.

I'm just waiting on the decks to be activated.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
New trailer is out:

Although it is not showing much, it looks amazing for an RTS. I'm a sucker for modern military tech, especially for aircraft, so I have to say: ME LIKE MUCH!

Holy nigger, the british are rapists. Turned an entire game around after the other player in my team fucked up royally and left. Challenger + Rapiers + Milan ATGMs = remove T-80 and Sukhoi

And the Norwegians are shittier than the Danish who are apparently shittier than the Swedish.

Luzur would be vindicated with this early beta scandinavian battlegroup formation.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bought European Escalation, had never heard of it. On the second mission right now, I'm terrible.

Luzur

Good Sir
Holy nigger, the british are rapists. Turned an entire game around after the other player in my team fucked up royally and left. Challenger + Rapiers + Milan ATGMs = remove T-80 and Sukhoi

And the Norwegians are shittier than the Danish who are apparently shittier than the Swedish.

Luzur would be vindicated with this early beta scandinavian battlegroup formation.

well, Sweden has had its own military industry and tactical schools since the late 1500's, while the danes/norwegians bought their guns from others/us, plus they lost all wars they ever had with us.

not to mention Sweden has dominated Scandinavia thanks to all that since Denmark lost that position after the Kalmar Union.

so yeah they are shittier then us.

Just to say after my strategy in Telemark succeeded, bled the british dry and painted the glorious flag of Czechoslovakia with their fatcat capitalist blood, we held enough territory and reinforcement points to end the game however we liked. So me and a bro decided to bring in as many tanks as we could, since I had completely run over the enemy on my end with few losses and had my support units (anti air, atgm infantry, recon and some artillery I brought in half way into the game) intact.

Sufficient to say there was a huge tank battle with more than 25 tanks on each side blasting away and moving through burning fields as my 3 Danas fired shells overhead. It ended quite abruptly as my FAGOT ATGM teams I sneaked up a ridge rolled over their heavier tanks and the rest routed by the shells. Poor ATGM teams were slaughtered by an airstrike though and fucking Corsairs have ECM so my anti air missiles didn't get many of them. True czechoslovak patriots.

:salute: It would make Commie and Cassidy try tears of judeo-bolshevist pride.

But yeah, airpower lends a whole new dimension to the game and the ATGM nerf brings back all sorts of viable strategies. I've seen a dude with a soviet deck bring in only a couple of tanks and AA and give us a really hard time with his infantry cover and mass airpower. I will take some screenshots later on.

Better gameplay sample. I'll try to record my next battle.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Because it is shit. They couldn't even take anything else that's better and what's worse, they recorded it with gay parade singers, who were fucking eachother during the recording. You make me sick.

Decks came out today. Spent an hour making different theme decks. It's far better organised and balanced than in EE. Let me explain. Btw, unit selection is fucking huge. Many diverse units, from sappers and mid range ATGM assault infantry to smoke bomb planes.

After choosing the side (NATO or Pact) you have the following option:
1. Restrict it to 1 country. You get that nation's prototype units (such as T-80 U Baneblades for soviets) and 3 extra activation points for your deck (more on those later)
2. The type of your deck. Armored, Infantry, Mechanized, Airborne and lots of others. Restricts you in one area with less slots , grants exp in the chosen area (ie armored deck-tanks have more exp) and increases activation points in that area.
3. Restrict it to a time period. Limits unit selection, gives activation points.

So, to the activation points. Each deck has a set number of activation points that you can increase with the choices I mentioned above. You have 10 slots for each unit selection, one section restricted if you go choice 2. With each unit selection in each area you lose 1 activation point. After 3 units the point cost rises to 2, then to 3. So having 3 support units costs you 3 points, but your fourth will cost 2 additional points instead of 1.

If you go, for example, armored deck, the first 6 selection slots in your tank section cost 1 activation point, the other 3 cost 2 points and the last one 3 points. So you can spare 3 activation points which you can throw on some air support for your Baneblades.

Also, funny note. In the lobby people can see the name of the deck you are using. Surprisingly, according to a friend's testimony, there are idiots who set up their entire army depending on the name of their deck. He named his british armored deck 'US Airforce' and was met by an infantry and AA spam.

:troll:

Beta is starting to look bright.

Played and won my first battle with my soviet armored deck. A wide range of tank selection, BUKs and those BMPs work very well in conjunction. Might even delete my airforce if I keep winning like that. Mi-24s and the Buratino came in pretty handy as well, when he tried to sneak those ATGM infantry in the woods behind me away from AA cover. Buratino did wonders at stunning the enemy infantry in the town before my Motostrelki stormed it.

Only issue I've yet to solve is that in the armored deck the Konkurs ATGM infantry are only available in trucks, which makes them artillery fodder. Will have to keep those very mobile and load unload them a lot. Will probably rely on my 64Vs and BMPs for atgm support since SHTURNs aren't available in armored decks.

TripJack

Hedonist
does this one come with a complimentary starforce infection like the first one did?

Noticed today, Buratinos now fire napalm and can rape even Leos 2A4s. They pretty much burn everything and the smoke and fire make it really hard to see your units.

Coupled with the best AA (both in range and HE), tons of good ATGM and the best medium tanks, PACT is pretty overpowered. Switching over to NATO now.

anus_pounder

Arcane
So, any one (in Europe hopefully, because time zone) want to try the game and play with a newbie like me? I have a free gift copy of the game in my inventory. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom