Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargame AirLand Battle

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So I prefer Pact, but if I'm doing Nato I might try a French deck(I have a soft spot for Napoleonic era so try to over perform for them in later eras). Any hope for that?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The french have some really good units to build a deck around. Lots of firepower, but they're fairly squishy.

[edit]
I messed around a bit with their stuff, here's what I ended up with:
cMeKkYw.jpg

Logistics:
Pretty self-explanatory. Cheapest armored CV. Trucks. I may end up dropping the FOB for another card of trucks. Not sure.

Infantry:
What the french use to secure stuff. The foreign legion are pretty badass in buildings and forests. The Milans pack a good punch and should make tanks keep the fuck away from your buildings. Since french kind of need to rely on speed and positioning, I mounted a card of AT infantry and foreign legion in helos.

Support:
Plenty of AA is a must. The Rolands are IR AAA, the Roland-2 is radar. The AMX13-AU is mainly there to provide smoke.

Tanks:
Well. French tanks pack and ok punch for their cost, but their armor is nothing to write home about. The brennhus are the "front line" that soaks up damage while the AMX 32's and 40's kill things. The AMX-30's main role is to bait enemies into shooting at it to light themselves up.

Vehicles:
This is where the actual punch of the french deck lies. The AMX/HOT and Mephisto brings a 2625m AP22 punch with 8 accuracy and large magazines to the table. If you position these correctly, they should be able to ruin someones day. Just remember to protect them from infantry and air.

Helo:
Didn't really find much to write home about here. Grabbed an antitank helo card mainly for taking out high-value enemy heavy tanks.

Aircraft:
Ok, here's where things get interesting. The french have a ton of really lovely aircraft at their disposal.
The Jaguar-A is a SEAD aircraft in case your opponent is dumb enough to leave his radar AA on. And you can get 2 of them on one card, contra the 1 SEAD/card the Kwans and Russkies get.
The Super Etendard is a troll aircraft. It fires its payload at long range and turns sharply enough to evac before enemy AA kills it. with 14 accuracy/30 AP, it'll wreck even the heaviest vehicles. One of the best antitank aircraft in the game.
The mirage 2000C is a strong air superiority fighter. It has awesome ECM and a respectable 5600m/acc 12 ait-aircraft missile. You CAN use them against helos in a pinch, but they're no A10s.
The Mirage SF is the anti-infantry plane. With a payload of 8x 400kg bombs they can provide solid suppression if you're about to make a push. Just make sure you have enemy AA locked down before you send them in.

In a team game, dig your infantry in to hold a zone or two, covered by a little AA and a few hidden vehicles. Then look for oppertunities to assist your teammates with your awesome aircraft and terrifying damage from vehicles. You have a pretty cost-effective antitank seclection. But enemy helos are going to be a pain.

Get all tanks AT LEAST Hardened and the atgm vehicles vette'd if you are gonna take that many.

Drop one AMX Roland 1, you only need 1 card really. Take the jaguar at a higher experience level, rookie ones just die and never hit anything.

Also milan F1s are useless. Wouldn't recommend them even if they were worth half their points.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Done. :salute:
I also swapped the legion for RIMA, since they were 5 pts cheaper for -1 accuracy on their rifles and higher suppression.

Legion is offensive infantry, Rima defensive. Keep a card of both I'd say. Legion in VABs, RIMa in trucks. (because rima is used to hold territory so their transports shouldn't be going head to head with enemy fire most of the time)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Legion is offensive infantry, Rima defensive. Keep a card of both I'd say. Legion in VABs, RIMa in trucks. (because rima is used to hold territory so their transports shouldn't be going head to head with enemy fire most of the time)

I'd actually say vice versa because you won't feed the enemy uneccessary points when assaulting a city fe. and you can always put a costly atgm PC into a wood to optimize defense

L'ennui

Magister
So, how many hours must one sink into this before being able to compete with fellow codexers for mastery of potato? Because I have little time, but much interest.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So, how many hours must one sink into this before being able to compete with fellow codexers for mastery of potato? Because I have little time, but much interest.

Depends on your skill in RTS games in general. If you can multi-task and micromanage in real time, and have a cursory knowledge of modern war machines, then you should do okay with a good deck almost from the get go(I say "okay", not good). Also 1v1, 2v2 is a completely different ball game from 3v3/4v4/5v5. In the latter games, a complete newbie can be compensated for.

You also need completely different decks for 1v1/2v2. Those that work there won't work in 3v3/4v4 and vice versa. (unless your opponents are complete idiots and your team has competent players)

The game is clearly not geared towards 1v1 which makes camping + recon the only viable strats.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
You also need completely different decks for 1v1/2v2. Those that work there won't work in 3v3/4v4 and vice versa. (unless your opponents are complete idiots and your team has competent players)

The game is clearly not geared towards 1v1 which makes camping + recon the only viable strats.

Yeah, 1v1 unfortunately turns into trench warfare. Kind of disapointing. They need some different game-modes for that. King of the Hill(call it something more "realistic" if you want), etc.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, 1v1 unfortunately turns into trench warfare. Kind of disapointing. They need some different game-modes for that. King of the Hill(call it something more "realistic" if you want), etc.
I remember our match a few days ago. We didn't even see eachother in the first maybe 10 minutes (apart froma few recons). We were just sitting in our control zones and reinforce our forces.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Current Soviet deck I'm mucking around with. Some guy ran a billion Tomcats and Eagles last game and gave me problems though.
hm2GyAJ.jpg

It is a 3v3 and up deck basically.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
What's the difference between 2vs2 and 3vs3 and 4vs4 decks?

Well, basically when making a deck, you have to consider how much use you will get out of all the things you choose. So if you are making a 1v1 deck, where a game will be decided probably after one side loses 2k points, then you want to have highly experienced units. The higher the experience, the less you can bring onto the battlefield.

So for bigger matches with a lot of points/destruction being thrown around, it's a good idea to bring more units to the fight.

There's more that goes into it, like more specialized/expensive units for 1v1(as long as they can perform well), and more jack-of-all trades, "cover the map" type units for big matches. Like you might not want your infantry traveling in BMP2s in a 1v1, because that's a lot of extra points to lose, but in a 5v5 those BMP2s can get "lost" in the chaos of battle and do considerable damage.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Had a game. Point limit 8000. Our team: 8046. Their team: 7002. ended up as a draw. :x

Also, some twit on our team (Pact) kept complaining that the other team had a "recon trainer" that allowed them to see all his units. My money says he's just bad. He ended up with least points on our team and twice as many losses as points.

Also, for some reason it seems like the best way to win is rush to midway, dig in and place a shitload of AA. BUKs and Tunguskas earn their cost back tenfold. I like hiding a BUK some distance behind 2-3 tunguskas with their radar gun turned off. Nighthawks get lured in by the BUK, then get shot down by Tunguskas before they can get their missile off.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Pretty solid plan there. I've been losing at lot of games, but I come away with a 1:1 K/D so I can't feel too bad. One game ended up being a 4v1(my teammates dropped early or quit late). They only got a minor victory so I don't know why my teammates bailed. Some people only play to win, it seems(or quit in a fit if the settings aren't perfect).

Destroid

Arcane
Does codex have a steamgroup for this or something? No-one I know has it.

After playing a few skirmishes, the micro level is pretty intimidating :eek:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So far, we just talk about playing with each other and nothing happens. :P

Oh, and Kommando Potato are incoming:

Polish Kommandosi:
6544.png

: x

As you may have guessed last week, ALB's first free DLC is well-advanced and should be released ... soon (which is further away in time than "imminent" ;) ).

It will bring to you:
- New Conquest mode.
- Co-op mode for the solo campaigns.
- 5 new multiplayer maps.
- 24 new units (12 per side): 6 planes, 7 infantry units, 9 vehicles/tanks, 2 helicopters.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So far, we just talk about playing with each other and nothing happens. :P

Oh, and Kommando Potato are incoming:

Polish Kommandosi:
6544.png

: x

As you may have guessed last week, ALB's first free DLC is well-advanced and should be released ... soon (which is further away in time than "imminent" ;) ).

It will bring to you:
- New Conquest mode.
- Co-op mode for the solo campaigns.
- 5 new multiplayer maps.
- 24 new units (12 per side): 6 planes, 7 infantry units, 9 vehicles/tanks, 2 helicopters.
:bro:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I despise the way DLC has changed the way we talk about game content.

Couldn't agree more. "First-free DLC", which implies they could charge for it and thank you very much....used to be "New patch coming out".

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Eugen has never charged for a DLC so far. Right now DLC means what it means whereas patch means what it means. I know this is friggin complicated, right??!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom