Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargame AirLand Battle

The first 15 are basically a game manual going over very, very basic stuff. Although the Effective Buratino video showcases a pretty neat trick. Same with the SEAD/AA tutorial and the rather important info that helicopters won't resupply until you tell them to land. The real juicy stuff is 16-33.

Yeah some good bits in there. Dude sounds like he just woke up and has a hangover, kind of hilarious.

Russo is in the same TW clan as me, pretty chill dude. Buratino video (before it was nerfed back to reasonable standards) was more of a way to show how absolutely unsuited for 1v1 Highway to Oslo is. 1v1 ranked suffered a shitton in ALB because of small maps and airpower that it dissolved into a recon-arty campfest. During beta when I played a lot of 1v1s it was ridiculous how you could shut down the entire map with one buratino firing napalm at each road access. By the time I reached 80-90% win ratio I stopped with buratinos and 1v1 already although now everyone knows that camping buildings with atgm and having recon all over is the only way to go.

You should also micromanage your radar guided AA vechiles. The enemy can take them out easily with their anti-radar missilies (if they are clever) from a long range. So you should turn the radar off, and only switch on if necessary. AA guns without radar are good enough in emergency.

Yeah, this. Very useful as soviets. Have a 2:1 tunguska buk ratio. Bait enemy air with konkurs infantry or a t-80, shoot those planes down, turn BUK off, watch as SEADs get raped by your tunguskas. 100% guaranteed NATO tears.

Also, never forget to relocate AA and artillery after firing so they don't get counterbattery'd or suicide-clusterbombed. Having your AA in the woodline so planes with ground attack missiles can't get them is also good.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I find that the chieftain series is pretty good for medium cost tanks. They can eat a shell or two instead of insta-popping like most of the cheap stuff. Also, I am pretty sure aardvark and thunderbold serve two completely different roles. Tube artillery like the paladin can actually pop enemies, unlike barrage artillery. I would agree with you though that artillery isn't worth it but if I had to chose I'd go with tube.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I got some F-14's to deal with enemy aircraft, although I'm not sure how good I'll be to use them at the right time.
F14 is great for air superiority. Its Phoenix missile has a loooong rage, longer than any other missiles. It will splash bandits before they even reach your base.

I guess I just need some practice with them. I don't really have a feel for its range and how far back I need to tell it to patrol to be useful. Not to mention its fuel economy. It seems like there's a really small window you can call it in so it'll have fuel left and arrive before bombers drop their load. Also, the last 2 games I had vs the computer it barely used any air at all. :P

You should also micromanage your radar guided AA vechiles. The enemy can take them out easily with their anti-radar missilies (if they are clever) from a long range. So you should turn the radar off, and only switch on if necessary. AA guns without radar are good enough in emergency.
I'm plenty overwhelmed as-is. I'm a turn-based person at heart and I can barely cope with moving my forces around in real-time. Micromanaging radar is waaaaaaaaay above my paygrade. Best I can do is drop radar-based antiair entirely.

The first 15 are basically a game manual going over very, very basic stuff. Although the Effective Buratino video showcases a pretty neat trick. Same with the SEAD/AA tutorial and the rather important info that helicopters won't resupply until you tell them to land. The real juicy stuff is 16-33.

Yeah some good bits in there. Dude sounds like he just woke up and has a hangover, kind of hilarious.

Russo is in the same TW clan as me, pretty chill dude.

I noticed a steam popup saying you were online in one of the game commentary videos. I almost sent you a message. :P

Bunch of kwan optimization advice.

Yeah. Still learning. I can just about consistently manage a minor victory vs 1 AI :P

Implemented most of your suggestions. Off to face the AI

0QtQUW6.jpg

I'm thinking rangers and marines in helos at the start to rush out and hide in forests and buildings I want -- the helos can then fly back to safety and be held in reserve. I dumped the I-hawk in favour of more chaparrals because, frankly, I can't micromanage radar and any attempt on my behalf to do so will end in tears.

Deck optimisation is the first step to removing potato and achieving manboon manifest destiny.

Seriously though, try multi or campaign. You won't learn much from skirmish due to the way the AI is set.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not to mention its fuel economy. It seems like there's a really small window you can call it in so it'll have fuel left and arrive before bombers drop their load. Also, the last 2 games I had vs the computer it barely used any air at all. :P
Yeah, you can't really put them on patrol for a long time. They are best used when your scout sees the enemy is coming, then you deploy the jets.
I'm plenty overwhelmed as-is. I'm a turn-based person at heart and I can barely cope with moving my forces around in real-time. Micromanaging radar is waaaaaaaaay above my paygrade. Best I can do is drop radar-based antiair entirely.
I feel your pain, sometimes (most of the time :D ) I get overwhelmed when there is a huge attack against me, and suddenly I have to manage a lot of my units. Play multiplayer with several people (2v2, 3v3 at least), so you are not responsible for control of the whole map. Just one or two areas.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
My stats say I have 3 multiplayer games and a 100% winrate. :P
But every game I've been way, way behind everyone else in points. All I really did was hang back and hold a point or two.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Seriously though, try multi or campaign. You won't learn much from skirmish due to the way the AI is set.

I learned that one HEMTT has bugger-all supplies and I may as well start calling them in 2 or 4 at a time. I had ~20 units of empty HEMTTs and supply trucks hanging back in my spawn zone by the end of the game.
I also learned that I really, really, REALLY cannot into getting recon in place safely. I couldn't push out because any attempts of mine to get recon close would get shot down (if helo) or nuked by tanks befor eI could get them into any kind of cover (rangers in humvees).

For F15s and F14s, the only time I had any success with them was when I called them in immediately before I called in my A10. If the enemy scrambled fighters, they'd get a few missiles off. But that's pretty much it. Because my recon is abysmal, I never see bombers coming until it's too late to scramble.

I had a 35-minute game vs 1 AI, won 3k to 1.4k. By the end of the game I had emptied all of my HEMTTs and supply trucks simply ferrying ammo for the Chapraals and my sea hawks.

[edit]

HAHAHAHAHAHA DISREGARD THAT!

Just had 3 multiplayer games for 10-15 minutes each. I said 10-15 minutes because at that time, over half my team ragequit in each of the games, and I was stuck with a collapsing battleline spanning the entire map and 3-4 enemies coordinating while I frantically tried to shore up the defenses. After a few minutes of watching everything get crushed, I left as well. Fuck multiplayer, I'll stick to AI.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It might sound stupid, but joining a 10v10 match is a good way to learn. There are many players, so being a bit weaker than the others is not much of a problem. And it is more unlikely that your whole team will ragequit. You also don't have to worry about a big portion of the map, usually just a small area.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah..... no.

If my last 4 multiplayer games are any indication, I'd end up inheriting things all over the map, failing to multitask and have even more people rage and quit once the units I inherited get slaughtered. The game is ok until the point someone leaves. Every game I've played so far, whichever side was the first to have a person leave the team was the side that lost.

If there was some sort of penalty for leaving games, perhaps this wouldn't be the case. But as it stands, the second 2+ people have left my team, I see no reason to continue getting roflstomped.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yeah..... no.

If my last 4 multiplayer games are any indication, I'd end up inheriting things all over the map, failing to multitask and have even more people rage and quit once the units I inherited get slaughtered. The game is ok until the point someone leaves. Every game I've played so far, whichever side was the first to have a person leave the team was the side that lost.

If there was some sort of penalty for leaving games, perhaps this wouldn't be the case. But as it stands, the second 2+ people have left my team, I see no reason to continue getting roflstomped.

Yeah, that's one of the major problems since the craze to rank everybody(and no penalty). People get so worried about stats and too frustrated with "playing to lose". So they quit and start up a new one as quick as can be. Too much of it is about managing hurt feelings rather than playing the game and having fun with it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It also really sucks to enter a game lobby that's half full and seeing 3 lieutenants all on the other team, waiting for newbies to kill.

Doubly so when a captain enters while you're doing a double take, and they immediately kick him from the lobby.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It also really sucks to enter a game lobby that's half full and seeing 3 lieutenants all on the other team, waiting for newbies to kill.

Doubly so when a captain enters while you're doing a double take, and they immediately kick him from the lobby.

Haha, wow. I haven't dived into MP yet, but I'm a fairly good RTS player already(as humble as can be) when I'm focused(rare), so being low rank shouldn't mean much. Also high rank could just mean a lot of battles under their belt(which helps of course).

I like how in one of the videos, Russo explains that some players changed their names so as not to be embarrassed in case of a loss. That is extremely silly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Yeah..... no.

Suit yourself, but I recommend to give it a try at least.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
See? This is the kind of shit I'm talking about:

KaSOORv.jpg

I hung around for about a minute. Every time someone with a rank symbol higher than private or sargeant joined NATO, they got kicked by host.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pretty fustrating first game for my mixed NATO deck. I *think* the enemy team were premade. At the very least, they all had decks with similar names, filled with Best Germany units. And they were all on th epact team with 0 ppl on the nato team when I joined. One of my allies claimed he only had aircraft in his deck; decided to abandon our spawn zone, get his CV killed in a retarded rush on foxtrot, then rage quit.

I contested Hotel as long as I could, but with Foxtrot irrevocably lost, I never dared put a CV into it. I managed to harvest a great deal of points with my Chaparrals and stingers. My main force in hotel was the armored transports for the infantry in Mike. I went with the bigger transports in this deck and they actually held their own long enough to earn back their point cost.

I didn't pay nearly enough attention to Lima this game. First, Mobilizedpanda left it uncapped (the cunt) and I expected someone else to cap it since I couldn't spare 120 points. Then later on, I didn't reinforce it which allowed a small enemy scout force to uncap it and kill my MLRS. In hindsight, the MLRS shouldn't even have been in Lima. I should've left it way down in the corner.

I still need to have a better feel for when I can bring in aircraft. Butthe EF 111A Raven is a thing of beauty. Its a crying shame I eventually lost it because I got careless. That thing needs to go into my kwanzania deck as well.

We had a giant hole in our defenses in Kilo and Lima the entire game. But it took the enemy quite a while to realize this. If their push at 18 minutes had happened 10 minutes earlier, we would've been uttely crushed. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I saw my MLRS had been destroyed. It was quite embarrasing. At least the Super Etanard managed to earn its keep when we pushed back in. I also really should've sent more people onto the right side warly on. I'm pretty lucky they didn't decide to camp my spawn zone.

Don't expect epic wonders from this, but if you want to gawk at newbies vs retards, ves newbie retards, I uploaded the replay here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18263459/wargame/kkkodex2.wargamerpl2

And the deck I used:

lSY8vdO.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

KaSOORv.jpg

I hung around for about a minute. Every time someone with a rank symbol higher than private or sargeant joined NATO, they got kicked by host.
That's just sad.
And pathetic. These people shouldn't be allowed to play games. If they don't want to have a nice fight, but instead they are in for the rape, they should just stay away from the game. I'd kindly ask them that why are they fucking with you.

Solution, you should host the game, so you decide who gets kicked. :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Why did noone inform me Polant was king of Napalm!? :rpgcodex:

My dad has suggested we should play a game sometime -- and knowing him he'll probably want to play NATO. So I took a stab at making a PACT deck to promote glory of Potato. Optimization suggestions are welcome. I'm especially doubting whether or not my Helo choices are worthwhile.

wUmoXzY.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Why did noone inform me Polant was king of Napalm!? :rpgcodex:

My dad has suggested we should play a game sometime -- and knowing him he'll probably want to play NATO. So I took a stab at making a PACT deck to promote glory of Potato. Optimization suggestions are welcome. I'm especially doubting whether or not my Helo choices are worthwhile.

wUmoXzY.jpg
anus_pounder played with a potato deck IIRC. Maybe he could give you an advice.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
KaSOORv.jpg
That's low.

zbec1.jpg

This is how you potato deck.
Fun fact: Use it very often and have never been defeated with it. Not even in a couple of games where I was left in 1v4 situations.
Could do a short LP with it on a replay from a previous match where through microing vette'd t-72 MIs I slaughtered a french top-tier armor rush and then raped Leo 2A4s.

Learn how2tank then go full potatoland armored.

2zi4ga0.jpg

More than half of those pact games were with Potatoland deck and the vast majority of overall games without bros to play with.

CONCLUSION:

: x

Sobieski.jpg

Play Potatoland. Just not in 1v1 and 2v2, you need larger maps where maneuvers don't get bogged down by atgm teams in every orifice.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sounds good! The grudge match vs Ulminati Senior will probably be 1v1, so I'll be sticking to my regular deck there. But massed tanks and arty sounds like a fun alternative to my usual strategy of picking 1-2 command zones, fortifying the shit out of them and turtling until game over. I probably need to learn how to maneuver them around effectively though -- most of my pushes so far have been pretty meh.

But why u no napalm in the air section!? I can't really see any way in that deck to deal with entrenched antitank infantry. A smoke+shells barrage to suppress AA, followed by purging with holy Promethium should be just what the doctor ordered.

Disregard that. I am blind.

DramaticPopcorn

J_C, Ulminati. I'm playing this game again, if you wanna play it in multi, hit me up, i've sent you friend requests on steam (cellardoor)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
J_C, Ulminati. I'm playing this game again, if you wanna play it in multi, hit me up, i've sent you friend requests on steam (cellardoor)
Thanks, accepted it. But I'm not sure I have the time right now to play. But we'll see.

I also added you Ulminati.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom