Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargame AirLand Battle

Destroid

Arcane
Ok so I've played a few skirmishes and can win them pretty handily, now to try online. Is there anything glaringly retarded in these lists? They have a lot of aircraft, I find them fun to use.

1sVcovr.jpg

56bA0Sh.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You want to swap out your CVs. Just get something with at least 1 armor everywhere. This'll save your bacon from artillery strikes. The AI doesn't use them, but players will if they guess where you're at.

Jews is the real expert on this stuff, but you may want to check the guides section on the official forums. They have some good primers on deck construction. Also, not enough napalm. Napalm never goes out of style.

Oh, and you have way, WAY too many planes. Those things are expensive and most players get plenty of antiair defenses. You're just going to end up feeding them a shitload of points. Especially when you have practically no tanks to do a ground-based push to take out AAA. Pretty much every game I win, I identify which of the opponents is the idiot who bought a bunch of planes, and then I dedicate myself to shooting them down.

Destroid

Arcane
You are quite correct, just ran that Soviet deck in 4v4 destruction and was too afraid to send my jets in.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Drove my poor WILKs into a Chimera ambush yesterday. Nerf Canada! :mob:

Patch changes overall are pretty interesting. Although I really wish they'd give Denmark some AAA that wasn't radar-based. Especially now that Norway got a HAWK that is more accurate and has longer range than the HAWK and I-HAWK. Doesn't affect me too much though, as 9 games in 10 you enter the NATO side is full and PACT side empty. I mostly get to use my Stalin's Schoolgirls and Ziemniaka decks, with Bacon, IKEA, Baguette and Kwanzania being relegated to skirmish vs AI.

Conquest mode looks interesting. But I'm more of a support player, so I'm kind of terrible at attacking.

Mortmal

Arcane
Just noticed konkurs hit tanks at 2600 m when most tanks cant only hit at 2400 or less ,cheap infantry wrecking the most expensive tanks like nothing nerf russia ! I dont understand why pact side is empty when you can rape with a category C deck. Really , it takes 5 min to undetrstand how to move your stuff, but to be okay it requires many many hours and i am still not good at using planes , its really a deep and complex game . I just found an excellent guide, a text guide, i dont like video guides its taking too much time and you cant skip to the important parts :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-uURrYRBWlOFHMbZRSjCE0A6p9FGj2EhKD9SjvUmeug/edit#

Disgruntled

Savant
ugh. I wish i kept playing this game.. in the same vein as I wish I was a brilliant army general.
The difficulty is knowing the basics but not having the time and margin of error to make use of your forces. The best I could do before quitting was to put up a defensive line with all the appropriate counters.. and then oversee it for the duration of the round hoping that the scores ended up in our favor.

Going on the offensive against competent players is depressing. Something as simple as forgetting to micro at the right second or moving one unit to the sub-optimal position can scupper everything. Or sending in 5 recon units who invariably get killed in the spots you most need them to plan an attack.
Being a slow multi-tasker and not having a natural background in multiplayer rts does me in.:(

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So what do you guys think of conquest mode? I've had some really good battles where the losing side was forced to make sweeping attacks in the final minutes(and loss of forces is no concern so some massive awesome battles ensued) to gain ground, but also some matches that were over in a few minutes if one person dropped and couldn't hold a vital cap point and a steady march to defeat.

Also noticed some areas just turn into "hunt the cv" with planes/artillery/helicopters, and that got pretty damn annoying. Hard to balance I guess, one aspect of Company of Heroes that seemed to get it right.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anything is better than the default game mode. Now they just need to make planes less OP and the game would be almost playable if it weren't for the absurdly shitty UI.
The planes are not OP at all. They fall like flyes if you don't watch out for AA. Actually it is quite hard to play with planes well, because they can't take any beating. Yeah, they hit hard, but they fall fast.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
No plane is OP in itself. The gimmicky ridiculousness comes from the unstoppable, voice chat-coordinated carpet bombing raids where, in a blink of an eye, jets blot out the sun and provide instant air/land superiority while wreaking havoc to any spotted units - a move that cannot effectively be countered by any in-game mechanics. It can be emulated by opposing forces, though, provided the opponent is similarly well-coordinated.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What he said. Swarms of cheap bombers, launched simultaneously by 2-3 players to the same area beats the everloving crap out of AAA. Sure, you lose a bomber or two doing so. But everyone else can come back after a refuel since the AAA just all blew up.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Man, this community seems pretty shit, or is it just me? I've played my fair share of RTS and normally it's a mixed bag, but the Wargame crowd is either always trying to game the system by stacking teams or whining afterwards. Just beat a team in a 2v2 Conquest, by 500 to 23 or so points. I asked why they were so tame(they only attacked a CP maybe twice) since they were down on points the whole game. Response? "Well aren't you the gentleman you fucking noob".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man, this community seems pretty shit, or is it just me? I've played my fair share of RTS and normally it's a mixed bag, but the Wargame crowd is either always trying to game the system by stacking teams or whining afterwards. Just beat a team in a 2v2 Conquest, by 500 to 23 or so points. I asked why they were so tame(they only attacked a CP maybe twice) since they were down on points the whole game. Response? "Well aren't you the gentleman you fucking noob".
Ah, there is nothing more pathetic, than calling the gamer you lost to a noob. Don't people know what noob means anymore? :D

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If anybody wanted to check out this great, slower paced(relatively) RTS, it's currently on sale for $13.59 on Steam, for the next 24 hrs.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
That and second free DLC with new units, maps and massive balance changes is "imminent".

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
ALB and EE are together as a bundle for $21.99 on steam, ALB by itself is 50% off at $19.99.

The new patch also just came out a few days ago, so there is sizable influx of people to play with too.

Mortmal

Arcane
The bridges on gjoll map are bugged, and the lag makes it unplayable except that the units are nice additions.Poland has SEAD now.Balance is a bit of, i am tearing apart nato tanks with just cheap east germany T72 , i dont remember them to be that good.The crap pact tanks suddendly shinses while the french tank have no longer superior accuracy . Harsh supply nerf too, you are supposed to micro supply lines now, while air supply is still untouched.

Air supply was always largely useless so it doesn't matter. Supply nerf was needed as you could spam trucks without care as was medium tank buff, since 70% of all tanks were useless before it, which made no sense, game or history wise. Now more decks are viable and the game doesn't consist of a few, high end units duking it out.

Heavy tanks are now useful in spearheads or when falling back. And the east german T-72 MI is a very cost effective tank and a very needed addition to their arsenal, since they had no armor or ATGM capabilities to speak of. Same with Czechs and their T-72B variant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom