Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargame AirLand Battle

anus_pounder

Arcane
I don't know, I think unbalanced battles could be interesting. Expecially since both players know about the circumstances and then just work with it.

I mean fighting T-80s with the Scandinavian battlegroups is though, but satisfying when you do take some out. Having lost all anti-air while opponent have plenty of planes... you are just put in interesting situations. I guessed you played the fourth scenario, as Nato then I guess you got to gather enough money for that American armour battlegroup, which is pretty much the only real strong one.

If you're talking about us, we played the first campaign of the 4. I was NATO, he was Pact.

Hah, yeah that one is really uneven. Just tried it yesterday. In particular the first battle was a rout.

Yeah. Not sure how many groups Pact starts out with, but I think they get one extra as back up. NATO starts with and has only 2 groups. West Germany group is decent, I'd go as far as saying evenly matched with the Russians. Swedish group is definitely not for a newbie though. Aside from logistics and planes, every sngle unit is a rookie. They get a huge amount of reserve infantry and tanks (100+ and 60+ respectively, I think) but they don't have any AT infantry groups. The most reliable AT unit is their missile vehicle which are pretty costly considering the point disadvantage you start with (55), are still rookies and are limited.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So bros, what's the state of Airland currently? Both patch-wise and multiplayer scene. It's $20 in the summer sale and I'm strongly considering grabbing a copy for myself and my brother.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
The number of simultaneous players online peaks at about 1200 during weekends. Most people, especially newbies play 10v10 exclusively; and there is only one 10v10 map. Not much teamwork going on in pubs, lots of griefing and lots of "lol guize ima bord suicide rush incoming :=DDDD" followed by alt+f4 or friendly fire bomb runs. If you play with a buddy or two you can steamroll pretty much every 10v10 match sans heavy griefing.

There are a few clans with fairly comepetent people and a handful of tourneys around. If you plan to play this without a competitive mindset you will enjoy the fuck out of the game for at least as long as you try out dozens of deck configurations but not sticking to cookie-cutter builds will inevitably upset a lot of teammates and provoke friendly fire "accidents".

Patch-wise Eugen seems to be slacking severely, especially compared to pre-release updating extravaganza. There are bug-fixing and balancing patches but no new maps and the campaign is still basically unplayable in single player mode.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Going through the tutorials right now. Looks pretty interesting. I'm digging that you need to resuply your tanks or they'll run out of pew-pew and wroom-wroom. It might even run at a slow enough pace that my turn-based self could handle multiplayer.

The Danish VO is kinda crap. Some of the lines are decent, but most of the time they come across as trying way too hard for Danes. Although "Hvad venter i på damer!? Morgenmad på sengen!" gave me flashbacks, all right. :P

Destroid

Arcane
The number of simultaneous players online peaks at about 1200 during weekends. Most people, especially newbies play 10v10 exclusively; and there is only one 10v10 map. Not much teamwork going on in pubs, lots of griefing and lots of "lol guize ima bord suicide rush incoming :=DDDD" followed by alt+f4 or friendly fire bomb runs. If you play with a buddy or two you can steamroll pretty much every 10v10 match sans heavy griefing.

There are a few clans with fairly comepetent people and a handful of tourneys around. If you plan to play this without a competitive mindset you will enjoy the fuck out of the game for at least as long as you try out dozens of deck configurations but not sticking to cookie-cutter builds will inevitably upset a lot of teammates and provoke friendly fire "accidents".

Patch-wise Eugen seems to be slacking severely, especially compared to pre-release updating extravaganza. There are bug-fixing and balancing patches but no new maps and the campaign is still basically unplayable in single player mode.

Wow, I thought 3v3 was the standard mode?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, I'm through the tutorials and first campaign. I even did a 3v3 skirmish twice. The first time I built a bunch of tanks and ignored the centre entirely, sweeping aorund one flank and deploying a command vehicle behind the enemy so we could bring in reinforcements behind them. Meanwhile, the AI was engaged in a brutal infantry fight in the city in the middle. We won a narrow victory. Second time around, I built massed artillery and expected to hang back and lob shells into the meatgrinder. No such luck, as this time the enemy AI seemed to be building almost nothing but helicopters. I tried to change gears mid-game, but the requisition I had sunk into batteries of massed death never repaid itself and we had a narrow loss.

So far the game is pretty entertaining. Although I'll need some practice before I'm ready to try multiplayer.

That said, I'd be up for getting my ass kicked in a Kodex Krieg Kampaign at some point. Just as soon as I can reliably handle an AI on Medium :P

If anyone feels like adding me and callign me a flaming retard faggot, name's ulminati in the game (easy to remember!)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I'm through the tutorials and first campaign. I even did a 3v3 skirmish twice. The first time I built a bunch of tanks and ignored the centre entirely, sweeping aorund one flank and deploying a command vehicle behind the enemy so we could bring in reinforcements behind them. Meanwhile, the AI was engaged in a brutal infantry fight in the city in the middle. We won a narrow victory. Second time around, I built massed artillery and expected to hang back and lob shells into the meatgrinder. No such luck, as this time the enemy AI seemed to be building almost nothing but helicopters. I tried to change gears mid-game, but the requisition I had sunk into batteries of massed death never repaid itself and we had a narrow loss.

So far the game is pretty entertaining. Although I'll need some practice before I'm ready to try multiplayer.

That said, I'd be up for getting my ass kicked in a Kodex Krieg Kampaign at some point. Just as soon as I can reliably handle an AI on Medium :P

If anyone feels like adding me and callign me a flaming retard faggot, name's ulminati in the game (easy to remember!)
Anus_pounder and myself played a few matches a month ago, and maybe we can join you in the future, but right now I can't spare time for this game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, I'm still getting my ass handed to me by the computer, so I'm in no paticular hurry.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Alright bros, I picked it up. My name on there is "Koolhan". I'd be up for MP eventually. Do they have VOIP? Haven't checked. Also I get really bad stuttering sometimes, not sure what that is about. Reminds me of real-time Steel Panthers.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, had my first 4v4 and won. I'd say it was due to my crucial contributions, but that's probably a lie.

I went with a Danish battlegroup (obviously). Looking over what we had compared to other nations, it seemed like the danish forte was infantry and artillery. So I built a support deck consisting of all the arty I could cram in, Jægerkorpset mounted in a helicopter for a surgical strike, a ton of Livgarde infantry in APCs, some recon helicopters and a few aircraft. My team raged at me during deployment for plopping down a shitton of arty. Either way, I sent a recon helicopter out to find me some squishy targets and sent my command vehicle along with some infantry to hold one of the flanks. One of my teammates loved suicide-rushing tanks into unscouted cities, so I spent most of my time deploying smoke to protect his reckless advances and shelling the city blocks ahead of his tanks.

Eventually I managed to completely deplete my resupply base (arty is hungry), but I singlehandedly held 3 sectors with my infantry while everyone else did the slogging. Team points were ~2k, ~1.5k, ~1k and me with ~600 points. But otoh I had less than 100pts worth of losses.

I really don't have a feel for this game yet. But raining shells from across the map feels good. It feels right.

The PACT team had about 3k points when we won. My contribution was holding the aforementioned 2 sectors, killing 2 PACT command vehicles, plopping smoke everywhere and shelling the everloving crap out of every forested region in the enemy start zone.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I suck with aircraft. I definitely need to not buy them at all, since they have a survival chance of 25% per strike I order. :P

That said, I'm beginning to develop a fierce, burning love for the danish royal guard infantry. Plop them down in a forest or city and they'll easily slaughter 5 times their worth in points before the enemy takes them out. So far I've stuck to 4v4 matches and gone with a hugely one-dimensional force, hoping my allies will fill in the gaps as necessary. And it's worked. But I probably can't rely on that forever.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I suck with aircraft. I definitely need to not buy them at all, since they have a survival chance of 25% per strike I order. :P

That said, I'm beginning to develop a fierce, burning love for the danish royal guard infantry. Plop them down in a forest or city and they'll easily slaughter 5 times their worth in points before the enemy takes them out. So far I've stuck to 4v4 matches and gone with a hugely one-dimensional force, hoping my allies will fill in the gaps as necessary. And it's worked. But I probably can't rely on that forever.

I am not too great with air either, but I watched some vids and noticed that people who use it well, use it sparingly and specifically. They control planes after "launch", call them off if need be, and always try to clear an area of known AA with artillery or something else. Even an arty barrage that doesn't kill can stun or rout AA. Generally I try to just buy up about 3-4 planes when I have spare resources, and keep them for emergencies. Either targeted strikes on advancing columns or in a combined all or nothing venture. Granted, I am new to this as well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The efficient use of airforce is not easy, you have to look out for enemy AA constantly. Use them for precision strikes against high value targets, but scout ahead before. You can use the anti radar missiles to destroy radar type AA.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I should probably shelve the Danish battlegroup for a while. Besides good infantry, they're woefully lacking in options.
The only infantry they can mount in helicopters are the recon Jægers, their tanks are a bit meh, the only semi-worthwhile plane they have is the F-16. Arty is ok, but they really need a flak gun of some sort. The hawk only has 3 shots before it needs rearming. It's a bit of a shame because I'd have loved to do some sort of viking vs potato match. But we really don't have the units to deal with tanks or air. :(

I guess I'll try out some Kwans or Worst Germany instead. Or maybe some Kwanadians or Cheeseeaters.

Does anyone know of a site that rates the usefulness of the various nations units? My deckbuilding-fu is weak.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Though it grieves me greatly, I tried slackening it to a danish/norwegian/swedish pre-75 deck and ended up with something along these lines:

t01Wj9p.jpg

In logistics there's a resupply base, ground trucks for normal resupply needs and some resupply helicopters if I'm in a hurry. for command vehicles I went with the M113A1 since they were the cheapest option that had armor so it wouldn't get oneshotted by random artillery.

In infantry, I got a solid mix of thingies and stuffies. Sadly, no antitank infantry was available pre-1975.
- The Swedish Kustjägere are intended as my shock troops. They come in helicopters, are highly trained and should be able to take on most other infantry 1v1. Their job will be to rush in and sieze objectives when the oppertunity arrives.
- The LLRaket Hamlet are there for anti-air in case helicopters are annoying and to discourage flybys by bombers going uncontested.
- The Norweigan stormers edged out over the Danish livgarde for heavy infantry to claim urban zones by virtue of having more ammunition in their LMG. The Norweigan geværmenn will be the light infantry, mainly tasked with holding forests.
- Everything but the kustjägere is mounted in APCs with mounted LMGs

The support side was a bit fustrating. I wanted some long-range anti-air, but the options weren't anything to write home about.
- Swedish LVKVs are for hiding in/behind held urban zones. their range is short, but they should be able to handle helicopters at short range.
- Danish M727s bring medium-long range radar guided missiles to handle aircraft. Unfortunately they only get 3 shots before requiring rearming by a resupply truck.
- Norweigan NM106'es are the short-range mortar vehicles. They're fairly mobile, so I intend to use them in 2 pairs of 2 to drop smoke and suppression before advancing
- The swedish BKAN 1A artillery for cross-map bombardment was the hardest choice. It's got a longer range than the danksh SKH M/109G, higher accuracy and a better rate of fire. But it's also a whooping 85 points to the SKH's 50.

For recon, I got a decent mix of ground and air.
- Jægers and Marinejegeer are both mounted in APCs. The Jægers have slightly better gear, but also cost 5 points more.
- The HKP6A helicopter is the only pre-1975 choice. So that's what I went with. I kind of wanted the danish Scout Defender which has better optics and doubles as a tank hunter, but no luck there.

The tank choices were rather crummy.
- The centurion fills the light-medium tank role. Hence why I went with the 85mm over the 105mm version. Its main role will be to take out APCs
- The Swedish STRV 103B is the closest thing the pre-1975 scandinavians has to a heavy tank. They have no turret or stabilizer, but a very respectable 12 frontal armor. If I hide these in a treeline, they should be able to deliver a nasty surprise to enemy tank columns.

In the vehicle section, I tried to make up for the lack of antitank infantry. Both the LARO recoilless rifle and the IKV 91 are squishy but cheap. If they can take 1-2 pact tanks down before they vapourize, they'll have earned their points back.

For helo, there are no units. Because none are available pre-1975.

In aricraft, I had a choice between a great deal of useless shit. I picked what seemed like the least useless of the bunch.
- The danish Draken is my interceptor/tank hunter, armed with radar guided air-to-air missiles and air-to-ground rockets
- The norweigan F5-A is the anti-infantry bomber, armed with cluster bombs.

Pretty much every single unit is veteran or elite. The +80% availability for pre-1975 put to good use.
That said, the deck is woefully lacking in air presence and heavy armor. And no napalm or 1000kg bombs means city and forest fighting will be messy as hell. It probably won't be usable except against other theme decks.

[edit]
For learning the ropes, I also slapped together a Kwanzania deck, since they have the most toys to play around with.

BkMeVWr.jpg

- Logistics are more or less the same, except I didn't spring for a chinook resupply chopper. Dumped the FOB since I won't be using arty. The HEMTT is effectively 3 regular trucks with a little armor to protect them from arty. I expect they'll be used to rearm my anti-air missiles.

- For infantry I went with the Kwan version of the same roles as the viking deck. Light infantry for forests, heavy infantry for towns, 2x elite infantry in helicopters for assaults, flamethrowers, antitank missiles and antiair missiles. The main difference is the transports. The Marines have a light tank and the APC for the light infantry and antitank has antitank missiles as well.

- Support is exclusively antiair this time (no mortars). I-hawk is long-range, radar guided. Chaparral is medium-range infrared. PIVADS is short-range vulcan minigun.

- Tanks are altogether heavier this time around. M1A1 as the heavy tank, M1 as the medium and Patton as the "light" tank. I may have to shuffle those around for an even cheaper tank in the light role. But US armor is expensive.

- Recon isn't nearly as sexy as it was before. Rangers in a humvee to sit in the forest. But the Kiowas come with either miniguns or hellfire. So they can double as anti-infantry/antitank if I'm sure there's no antiair nearby.

- No vehicles, but the anitank is moved into...

- Helicopters! Plenty of hellfire and stingers on the helicopters (but I'll have to remember to fly back and rearm them). I also got some apaches, since they're loaded with so many weapons it's not even funny. I don't expect I'll be using them a lot quite yet though. I have a tendency to not be cautious enough with my units or forget they're there. Losing 155 points has to sting.

- Planes are also a nice mix of roles. Most importantly is the F4-S Phantom II. It comes with motherfucking napalm! Napalm never goes out of style! I got some F-14's to deal with enemy aircraft, although I'm not sure how good I'll be to use them at the right time. If I lose my Phantom (boo!) I have an Aardvark with cluster bombs as a substitute. And if the F14 crashes and burns, I have an F-15A as an air superiority fighter.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ooooh! I found a VERY nice list of 3-minute how-to videos for utter noobs like myself. Copypastaing wholesale:

Basic

#1 Label Types:
http://youtu.be/6z811Emi0sA
#2 Effective Buratino
http://youtu.be/19om_dj2X1Q
#3.1 Unit Selection
http://youtu.be/3vtSX6YcHtA
3.2 Deck Creation Basics
http://youtu.be/j_Ryr_1KqlM
#3.3 Deck Creation Cont'd
http://youtu.be/bS9zNQusndw
#4 Deploying Units on the Battlefield
http://youtu.be/eyymiMUU39s
#5 Aircraft Basics - Fighters
http://youtu.be/QsCLlEUQuWE
#6 Aircraft Basics - Bombers
http://youtu.be/fbxXLAqEe10
#7 Helicopter Basics
http://youtu.be/N0twH4UyKlU
#8 AA Basics/SEAD evasion
http://youtu.be/pV3rK-fvj3o
#9 Infantry Basics
http://youtu.be/1w5lapefScU
#10 Bonus Decks
http://youtu.be/t-PvkLfrMlE
#11 Multiplayer/Opening Engagement
http://youtu.be/LVDu-zio4OY
#12 Grouping your units
http://youtu.be/fbieKem3MNE
#13 Tank Basics
http://youtu.be/OUzzu3W5TI0
#14 Morale Basics
http://youtu.be/w6KdtUrgKE8
#15 Just for Fun
http://youtu.be/qGINocExU5s

Intermediate

#16 Chaos (Controlled)
http://youtu.be/IXNAmzmqLvk
#17 1v1 Ranked (NATO)
http://youtu.be/7gciqk7ADrk
#18 Attacking a Zone
http://youtu.be/XSAudaZA2zc
#19 A Balanced NATO Deck
http://youtu.be/c3ARMeWu-RI
#20 A Balanced Soviet Deck
http://youtu.be/qWmbNyTXTYA
#21 SEAD + ATG Strike
http://youtu.be/g6XvbXX20_c
#22 1v1 Ranked (Pact)
http://youtu.be/Su2IOYyVC9s
#23 Logistics vehicles explosion for dmb
http://youtu.be/2cqB22VSRa8
#25 4v4 Multiplayer
http://youtu.be/-fktYILPJc0
#26 Friendly Fire
http://youtu.be/fTgPx-GyJzI
#27 Losing a Match
http://youtu.be/FuGN_gsW2kY
#28 Learning from a Loss
http://youtu.be/dnk5IPP5zJE
#29 Winning after a Loss
http://youtu.be/oQwvwPvPF-g
#30 3v3 Pub Match
http://youtu.be/a-eHTBVo9R4
#31 1v1 Nato vs Nato
http://youtu.be/3e6d8mgx_VY
#32 1v2
http://youtu.be/IWA52bt2bns
#33 4v4 Both teams on Teamspeak/Ventrilo
http://youtu.be/EbuKmTHKv3I

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The first 15 are basically a game manual going over very, very basic stuff. Although the Effective Buratino video showcases a pretty neat trick. Same with the SEAD/AA tutorial and the rather important info that helicopters won't resupply until you tell them to land. The real juicy stuff is 16-33.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
The first 15 are basically a game manual going over very, very basic stuff. Although the Effective Buratino video showcases a pretty neat trick. Same with the SEAD/AA tutorial and the rather important info that helicopters won't resupply until you tell them to land. The real juicy stuff is 16-33.

Yeah some good bits in there. Dude sounds like he just woke up and has a hangover, kind of hilarious.

DramaticPopcorn

The most fun I had with this game was building decks :oops:

When it came down to skirmishes, I always ended up managing way more than I could handle, I really need some practice with macro-micro

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I got some F-14's to deal with enemy aircraft, although I'm not sure how good I'll be to use them at the right time.
F14 is great for air superiority. Its Phoenix missile has a loooong rage, longer than any other missiles. It will splash bandits before they even reach your base.

You should also micromanage your radar guided AA vechiles. The enemy can take them out easily with their anti-radar missilies (if they are clever) from a long range. So you should turn the radar off, and only switch on if necessary. AA guns without radar are good enough in emergency.

DramaticPopcorn

During one skirmish I deployed ~15 of cheap (each costs 10 reinforcement points) soviet AA guns. Nobody dared to bring Air in that fight :D although those guns are fairly shitty. It's the amount of those icons on the battlemap that scared them :D

Get rid of Dragons (not even worth to exist), Delta Force(worst spec ops in the game) and Riflemen. Take one-two cards of marines in humvees (or one in humvees and one in UH-1Es), another in LAVs and some LAAD in humvees. Other than those american infantry is shit.

Get rid of Pivads. Put in two cards of mortars, preferably LAV-ms. Excellent for sniping AA and killing infantry. Great accuracy.

I wouldn't recommend 60-point pattons to anyone. These things die like bitches to t-55s and 35 point t-72s. Either switch them for MBT-70s (worth it now that they are 60 points) or Super M60s. Consider adding a card of 95 point Abrams or switching one of the 85 points for it. Generally speaking you need all your tanks at least hardened. I've slaughtered hordes of panicked abrams with vette'd t-72as. Never underestimate veterancy for tanks and planes.

Get rid of the 110 point Kiowa. Ain't worth it since you have sea-hawks. Get rid of the Apachee too I'd say. Just a big point pinata for the enemy and it's easy as hell to be hit. OH-58c/s are good for supporting heli copter pushes. Add a card of tow cobras. Far more cost effective than apachees.

I'd also switch the Aardvark for a thunderbolt. Might have shit ECM but as long as you have air superiority (f15s and the tomcats guarantee that, pact air is largely one steaming turd) you are golden with it. Clusterbombs got nerfed to hell they are only good for assasinating CVs now. Plus Thunderbolt has some insane turnspeeds that can troll BUKs (the only good pact AA) to hell and back. Su-27s and Mig21-BM are the only things you have to watch out for but f15s take care of those.

Btw don't even think of getting heavy artillery as Kwanzania. Paladins have an accuracy circle wider than Cleve's skull and are only good for stunning enemy units. Mortars can do that as well. You can get 6 LAV-ms for 150 points and they will allow you to snipe enemy aa, outright slaughter infantry, smoke positions very effectively and stunlock enemy advances. (only rocket artillery, BKANs and AUF1s are better at that but rocket artillery is a huge resource drain with nothing to show for in the end and BKANs and AUF1s come at 1 availability in cat a which kinda lowers their effectiveness unless you go full retard on support)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom