Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This FF8 LP is totally dead.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Closed for good.

firstpage.jpg

Welcome to another trainwreck.

Update 01: The epic intro movie and the first update
Update 02: The second update
Update 03: The third update
Update 04: Actually the second update
Update 05: Another dog
Update 05 part two: Update 06
Update 07: No, I'd love to dance but then who's gonna hold up this wall, huh?!
Update 08: Who cares?
Update 09: Let's ride the fucking train!
Update 10: Fucking shit
Update 11: Even more fucking shit
Update 12: Even even more fucking shit
Update 13: I can't hold up this facade any longer
Update 14: TV Time at the TV Station
Update 15: Let's get the fuck out of Timber!
Optional Shit #1: Optional Shit #1
Prelude to Update 16: Prelude to Update 16.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
STUFF YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW!
(aka stuff you don't care about)

What's the deal with you and this game?
I like FF8. I won't argue that it isn't stupid but it is definitely the best in the series. I think it's fun and Squall is one of the two characters in the entire series I don't hate or mildly dislike.

Your feelings on "Squall's dead"?
Very cute.

Will you finish this?
Yes.

Will you break the game?
Yes.

Are you really a horse?
Ever seen a horse play video games? Of course you have.

FABULOUS BONUS CONTENT!
(aka comic book scans people spammed in the middle of updates)

Aarne and Alan Grant sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g!
Swamp Thing vol. 2, issue 48: "A Murder of Crows"
Swamp Thing vol. 2, issue 21: "The Anatomy Lesson"
Swamp Thing vol. 2, issue 22: "Swamped"
Swamp Thing vol. 2, issue 23: "Another Green World"
We3, issue 1
We3, issue 2
We3, issue 3
Swamp Thing vol. 2, issue 24: "Roots"

Radisshu is a nightmare to all the french fries in the world!
Preacher, issue 13, page 17: "Came A Pale Rider"
It's a bearded shirtless man with a cellphone camera.
A picture of Cloud and Sephiroth that is also not hentai.

Spekkio likes graphics!
Cute witch Deneb explaining how to set shit up!

GarfunkeL, the lionheartiest lionheart of them all!
Pride of Baghdad
More Pride of Baghdad

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Update 00: The epic intro movie

ff8-intro01.jpg

ff8-intro02.jpg

And that's Final Fantasy 8's epic intro movie! Hope you liked it.

Update 01: The first update

Following the epic training fight, (detailed in the uncut epic intro movie) where Squall and Seifer pretty much tried to split each others heads open, we find Final Fantasy's first foray in the "story begins with hero waking up"-cliché.

update1-01.jpg

(A cliché that actually isn't much of a cliché if you've played more than just Chrono Trigger and Terranigma.)

This is Squall Leonhart. He's seventeen and a mercenary-in-the-making. He takes his job very seriously, doesn't like to talk all that much and apparently also fails to realize he's living on a tropical island. I mean, dude, what is up with all that leather? Nevertheless, he's actually a pretty cool guy and his outfit is one of the least horribly designed in jRPG history. Simplicity. Right next to godliness.

update1-02.jpg

I'm actually entirely willing to contend that he might just be one of the best protagonists in the entire Final Fantasy-series. I know them's fighting words, but I have several excuses and I would even consider two of them to be kinda sorta really y'know good, but they're all pretty much stemming from the two facts 1; I don't like Cloud Strife and 2; Squall's not Cloud. Seriously, fuck Cloud. You wanna see an annoying emo jerkwad idiot fuck? Cloud's your guy. Squall's actually pretty chill compared to that guy, and over the course of the game I will prove this with more than just a severe manhandling of the english language. But for now, though, you may write flattering descriptions about my penis and/or how wrong I am when it comes to exactly everything.

The doctor's name is Doctor Kadowaki, I think. We're not going to see her too much other than for y'know plot and hey cards. It'll be great. For now though let's get out of bed.

update1-03.jpg

So while Quistis hurries to our aid, Squall seem to ponder the situation he's in.

update1-04.jpg

NOT EMO. SCAR HURTS. Got that?

Oh hey it's some random girl. Hey, random girl.

update1-05.jpg

What?

update1-06.jpg

Uh, okay.

Hey, there's Quistis.

update1-07.jpg

Meet Quistis Trepe. Not exactly Van Halen music video material but I suppose she'll have to do. She's eighteen and our “instructor”. She carries a whip and have creepy stalkers called "Trepies" all over the school. People really like the sigh she makes upon seeing Squall in bed. Many fanfics have been generated because of it and I have masturbated furiously to them all. I am not at all ashamed to admit this.

update1-08.jpg

Yeah, Squall and Seifer have a reputation. So what? Everyone loves a bad boy. Don't tell me you don't get off on it, lady!

update1-09.jpg

Another jRPG cliché: it takes a woman to get the protagonist out of bed. (Again, counting at least Chrono Trigger, Terranigma and this game.)

Texting tutorial complete! We now know how to push [X] in order to make the text disappear! Following is a walking tutorial.

update1-10.jpg

Press [DOWN] to walk together with Quistis!

update1-11.jpg

update1-12.jpg

Press [DOWN]+[X] to dodge infuriating questions while walking!

update1-13.jpg

Get laughed at (automatic, no button) not just by Quistis but also by the two girls behind her. That is so not cool.

squall.jpg
What's so funny?
quistis.jpg
Funny? No, no, it's not that! I'm just happy. I feel like I'm beginning to understand my student a little. That's all.
squall.jpg
I'm more complex than you think.

Aren't we all? Anyway.

quistis.jpg
Then tell me. Tell me more about yourself.
squall.jpg
It's none of your--
quistis.jpg
Business!
squall.jpg
*sigh*
quistis.jpg
*hahahahaha*

update1-14.jpg

Man, what's the problem with you girls?! No wonder homosexuality was invented. Fucking bitches!

So hey, this is Balamb Garden.

update1-15.jpg

It's pretty cool.

update1-17.jpg

I'd give you a tour but Squall's about to do it in a few, so...

update1-19.jpg

Yup.

Welcome to Squall's classroom. It reminds me about a classroom I had. Once.

quistis.jpg
Let's start with today's schedule.

Oh yes, let's.

quistis.jpg
There seems to have been some rumors flying around since yesterday... Yes, the field exam for SeeD candidates will begin later this afternoon.

Crap!

quistis.jpg
Those not participating and those who failed last week's written test are to remain here in study hall. Field exam participants will have free time until the exam. Just be sure you're in top condition. Meet in hall at 1600 hours. I'll announce the team assignments there. Any questions?

update1-20.jpg

update1-21.jpg

update1-22.jpg

update1-23.jpg

Seifer is so mad he heils at her!

quistis.jpg
Field exam participants, I will see you all later.

update1-24.jpg

Fuckcock! What did we do now?

update1-25.jpg

Anyway, freedom! We can finally move around on our own, access the menu and... sit down and take a look at the school computer. Quistis can wait. She's busy getting her ass harassed by those creepy Trepies. Don't use the whip, girl! They like that!

So computer, whassup?

update1-26.jpg

I understand completely.

This is the Balamb Garden Network. I'll say this right away that it's not at all important that you ever look at this, like ever, but I'll cover it anyway.

update1-27.jpg

Tutorial unsurprisingly teaches you how to play the game, but later on the menu will become important for the sake of getting money. Logging in here for the first time gives you your first two Guardian Forces (but Quistis'll give them to you anyway so don't bother).

The Basics, About Garden & A Message From Garden is all lore. You can read up on the history of Balamb Garden, find out how magic works, what kind of rules you must follow in the Garden, how old you have to be in order to enlist and stuff like that. Depending on how cool you are, chances are this might not be very interesting. I have a feeling it's more useful to have this information if you're going to write fan fiction or something. The very few important things listed here will be explained as you play the game, but I'll transcribe it all if you guys want to read it for some reason.

Garden Square is Balamb Garden's very own general discussion where people discuss how delicious it is to eat hot dogs everyday. I wish we could have discussions like that. Oh wait, no I don't.

The School Festival Committee is hilariously abandoned since it turns out noone wanted to work on some stupid school festival bullshit, but this is going to change in just a few updates. Later in the game this section will be sort of interesting.

Anyway, that's it. Now let's turn off that godawful computer and save Quistis from her godawful fans.

update1-28.jpg

quistis.jpg
You won't be able to take part in today's SeeD exam if you don't pass this prerequisite.
squall.jpg
(I was gonna go this morning, but Seifer...)
quistis.jpg
Hm? Do you have a good excuse?
squall.jpg
Not really.
quistis.jpg
Then let's get going. I'll be waiting at the front gate, so come down when you're ready.

Hell yeah! What do you think about that, groupies?

update1-29.jpg

...right.

update1-30.jpg

Uh huh.

update1-31.jpg

It should be said he ends this pitiful dialogue box by stomping and snapping his fingers.

update1-32.jpg

Too bad it wasn't retardiness.

Strolling down the hall, Squall hears a female voice announce how late she is.

update1-33.jpg

As pictured above.

A few seconds later, he can also see that very someone announce how late she is.

update1-34.jpg

As pictured above.

He decides to do the right thing by blocking her way.

update1-35.jpg

As pictured above.

She bounces off of him.

update1-36.jpg

As pictured above.

And falls on her ass, which prompts Squall to do the right thing; asking if she's alright.

update1-37.jpg

As pictured ab- ok I'll stop.

update1-38.jpg

This is Selphie. She's the first outright annoying (main) character in the game, and unfortunately Square decided that she would be excellent comic relief, as you guys just saw. Wasn't that just hilarious? We're gonna laugh even harder later in the game, just you wait!

Anyway, turns out she got lost inside this BIG MAZE that is Balamb Garden so she asks us to give her a tour. What the heck. Anything for pussy.

update1-39.jpg

Okay, maybe not anything.

update1-40.jpg

I'll take you to this big, (almost) entirely unmissable map we have at the entrance. Why does this remind me about Caius Cosades?

On our way to the elevator we stop to talk some random guy. He's giving away some cards he got from his brother. Final Fantasy 8 continues the tradition of minigames by introducing Triple Triad, a card game that would see action at least one more time (in 9). Hey, another reason why FF8 is one of the better Final Fantasies; only one minigame, and it's entirely optional too!

Oh well.

update1-41.jpg

I don't even want to know how you missed it.

update1-42.jpg

squall.jpg
Balamb Garden is pretty big. It's a good idea to check where you want to go, and select it here.
selphie.jpg
I have a question!

No, you do not. Consider yourself overruled.

squall.jpg
You'll find the dormitory to the north. A majority of the students live in the dorms. There aren't too many students who commute.
selphie.jpg
Yeah, I'm in the dorms too!
squall.jpg
You can rest and change in there. West of the north block is the cafeteria. There's always a big rush for the hot dogs. You better get used to waiting in line.
selphie.jpg
Got it!
squall.jpg
East of the north block is the parking lot. We usually take the Garden car when a mission comes up.

lookoutitsthegardencar.jpg

squall.jpg
The front gate is located to the south... (That's right, I have to go meet Instructor Trepe at the front gate.)
selphie.jpg
Hm? What's the matter?
squall.jpg
Nothing. Next, we have the Quad. Located in the west block. There's an event being planned there...
selphie.jpg
I know! I know! It's the Garden Festival! It's going to be great! I'm planning to be on the committee. You wanna help out too!?
squall.jpg
Let's just continue. South of the west block is the infirmary. This is where you get treated for injuries, but a lot of students just come here for advice. On the east block, there's the training center. It's the only facility open at night. It's used for training and they have real monsters running loose there. If you don't take it seriously, you may end up dead. Be careful.
selphie.jpg
(gulp) ...okay.
squall.jpg
South of the east block is the library. There's a lot of material you can look up there, but the terminals in the classrooms are a lot more efficient. And you already know about the classroom on the second floor, right?
selphie.jpg
Yeah, I remember!
squall.jpg
Alright. By the way, the headmaster's office is located on the third floor. You need permission to get in. His name is Cid Kramer. There's a rumor going around that he was an astronaut in an earlier life.
selphie.jpg
Cool!

update1-43.jpg

squall.jpg
Yeah.
selphie.jpg
Then maybe I'll see you again, later. I've already finished my training at my previous Garden. I'm taking the SeeD exam today. Good luck to both of us, huh?

update1-44.jpg

Fuck you.

In the next exciting episode, we take a closer look around Balamb Garden before finally meeting Quistis at the front gate for a quickie inside a cave.

spekkio

Arcane
(Posting in epic thread)

Fuck the haters! FF8 was soo good that 99% of FF fans hate it to this day! That's how great it was!

Also: is it PC version or PSX + Pete's plugin, Andy?

pipka

Savant
Posting on the first page of epic thread.
Can you change PC names like in previous titles?
It was funny when I tried to play FF7(long time ago, never finished) with Cloud as Faggot, Barret as Nigger, etc.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
spekkio said:
(Posting in epic thread)

Fuck the haters! FF8 was soo good that 99% of FF fans hate it to this day! That's how great it was!
Hell yeah!

Also: is it PC version or PSX + Pete's plugin, Andy?
It's emulator. We all know everyone who bought the PC ports of Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are in Al Qaeda now. (Including me! Allah Akbar, etc.!!) I'm running Pete's software plugin.

pipka said:
Posting on the first page of epic thread.
Hell yeah!

Can you change PC names like in previous titles?
You can with Squall, Rinoa and Rinoa's dog Angelo. The rest remain as they are, which is too bad since there's a plethora of fitting names for Zell. I'm not a big fan of renaming characters though.

Turok

Erudite
Right now i am playing the lost Odyssey and i can say that this game is much better than any FF i have play soo far, miles ahead, the game got good critics but i never see anyone talking about it, weird.

FF8 sux. Is pure cheesee for any adolescent.

Gerrard

Arcane
spekkio said:
(Posting in epic thread)

I'm pretty sure 99% of Bolivion fans wouldn't touch PST even with a stick. :smug:

I liked the first quarter of the game where you were just a learning merc going on missions, goofing around in the academy, and taking tests to raise your rank.

Then all of a sudden the world needed saving, and meh.

One play-through I spent so much time training, playing cards and messing around in the early academy bits that the first time you could leave and freely travel around (when you rented a car), there were T-Rexasaurs spawning in the goddamn bushes. You want to talk level scaling? FF8 has level scaling that wouldl make Oblivion weep.

Though that does motivate you pretty quickly to improve your tactics.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
One play-through I spent so much time training, playing cards and messing around in the early academy bits that the first time you could leave and freely travel around (when you rented a car), there were T-Rexasaurs spawning in the goddamn bushes.
You'll encounter T-rexes at level 7 (starting level) too. Stay out of the bushes, people.

I've watched all his videos thoroughly in preparation for this, I assure you. In the next update I'm going to put on a labcoat and draw every available magic a hundred times each and then I'm going convert that magic into more powerful magic and repeat this until I have a hundred of every magic. Then I'm going to card everything and get Squall's ultimate weapon. All that, and wearing a labcoat. It's going to be awesome. :cool:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Shit, I bought and played this one back in the day. The constant random battles, dull grind, long boring dungeons and silly characters killed it for me. Is there an actual FF game which is, like, fun?

FF8 was an easy game to exploit and power-game in. Play up to the point where you can condense large amounts of lesser magic into greater ones, and card enemies you can use to buff your decks, and you have everything you need to break the system horribly.

Andyman Messiah said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
One play-through I spent so much time training, playing cards and messing around in the early academy bits that the first time you could leave and freely travel around (when you rented a car), there were T-Rexasaurs spawning in the goddamn bushes.
You'll encounter T-rexes at level 7 (starting level) too. Stay out of the bushes, people.

Yeah, but these were the 100,000 hp variety that you ony get when you spent way too much time power ganking Grahts in the training area and messing around with cards.

Fortunately I'd recently broke down one of my cards into a couple items that allowed you to instantly hit Limit Break, and used several of my strongest ones in rapid succession to end the fight. Without weapons and items usually available to you later in the game once you're at this level, some scaled enemies can be a challenge. But it's satisfying taking them down when you'd normally be nowhere near this powerful.

Elzair

Cipher
Hell, you can get Squall's ultimate weapon (i.e. the one that lets you do the Lionheart limit break) on Disk 1!

Selphie's limit break cheesiness= Get Diablos as soon as Cid gives him to you (at least, the lamp he's stuck in) = get skill that avoids random encounters, very early in the game= be able to keep scaling under control

edit: why do you people bother getting weapons? Junction alone is more than enough to make some living gods

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Elzair said:
Hell, you can get Squall's ultimate weapon (i.e. the one that lets you do the Lionheart limit break) on Disk 1!
Yeah, I'm still thinking if I should just break the game.

Trash said:
Shit, I bought and played this one back in the day. The constant random battles, dull grind, long boring dungeons and silly characters killed it for me. Is there an actual FF game which is, like, fun?
I hear Crisis Core is p. fun. You should lp it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom