Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria II impressions.

Eyeball

Arcane
Got this game - It's a lot of fun, but ultimately also broken as fuck. If you ever needed an argument against capitalism, this is it, as capitalists are fucking retards who decide that the best way to make a buck is to build factories producing the most crappy and unnecessary good available, causing their factory to go bankrupt in a matter of months and wasting all that time you spent coaxing them into building something worthwhile.

I've shelved this for now - hope the next patch will de-stupidify the game a bit.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Looks like the 1.2 patch will be out before the end of September.

:love:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There also needs to be some kind of balance for supply and demand. The way it is now, everyone except the prestigious are boned due to vast oversupply in everything (except grain and late game goods, but no one buys any of them except electric gear, radios and telephones) by mid-game. But it really can't be undersupply either, since that'd bone lesser nations equally. And there needs to be a real raise in the money pops make for themselves as tech advances. I mean, they're obviously supposed to make more money so they can buy more and expensive stuff.

Oh yea, and radio building needs to be moved to a tech that makes sense, and a lot of tech paths need to be buffed so they aren't retardo choices. Stuff like cultural prestige techs are absolutely useless (ie, Art & Design is only barely worthwhile if you get the first position for each invention, Psychology or whatever the fuck it was is simply wasting your time).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Got any links for a good strategy guide? I've had lots of fun with Vicky2 but many things still aren't clear to me.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ahh btw could some kind soul that already registered game on paradox forums upload some mods outside of them? Namely the Rebalance and Economy ones (two of them).

Erzherzog

Magister
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
A question: Why aren't we Codexers playing Grand Strategy together? Paradox games are somewhat buggy, but I think it would be cool to play with the Codex.

A normal game of Vicky 2 or EU3 would be good. How both are for multiplayer?

Also, a good idea would be a Grand Campaign game though CK 'til HOI2. Is it possible? I know for sure it would be hilarious to see Codexers fucking up with history.

Pity we will need to wait the EU3 to Vicky2 converter, along with the Vicky2 to HOI3 one. Only then we will be able to play the newer games in a Grand Campaign.

I've been thinking about organizing a Codex Paradox MP, but my video card is broken so I can only play the pre-Clausewitz ones and even then they crash after a couple in-game years.

I'd be down for some MP, I suppose. Vicky 2 has probably too many problems as of right now for it, but after the patch it should be better.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Muty said:
Malakal said:
I read that later in the game You are going to face great economic depressions coming from overproduction of goods and not enough demand. But yes, seems ratehr easy. Play weaker nations - Denmark is hardcore.

We played a multiplayer game with 8 ppl this morning and exactly this thing happened to me as gb. I was getting millions of factories built when I reached the point where I was producing a lot more shit then what as needed. Factories started loosing money, I had to close many of them and my production plunged , pops became jobless and started revolting. I took me maybe 5 years the stabilize that shit.
Awesome.

:love:

Zed said:
I want to like these epic 4x games so much but I just can't. I tried Victoria II. I played the tutorial. Then when I load up a scenario I have no fucking idea what I'm supposed to do. I normally love freedom and empire building. And management and warfare. But I feel no sense of direction at all. Same thing when I tried to play Crusader Kings. Oh well, can't like everything I'd like to, err, like, I suppose.
Honestly, it just takes a lot of practice. Starting a game, trying different things out (different nations, strategies, policies), quitting when your feel that you've run out of steam (à la Dwarf Fortress), and doing it all from the beginning again to see if you can improve; that's the ticket. It also helps to peruse through some AAR's on the Paradox forums. A good measure of luck is important, though, when it comes to your AI colleagues ;)
Anyway, from my experience, generally, playing on anything higher than normal difficulty results in bizarre AI behaviour like exaggerated aggressiveness and wonky deal-making.

Zed said:
I think one of my problems with Victoria and most (all?) paradox games are that you have your land predefined. Sure you can conquer enemy territory but you can't build your own cities and stuff. I want to start with a capitol or just a worker and then create my own empire. Guess I should stick to Civ4/Elemental.
Hehehe. But what you can try is to start in either Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis 3 with a small state and take them through to the end HoI 3 (or HoI2) in a "grand campaign". There are save-game converters out there that allow you to port a save-game from one game to the next. I've done it before as Sultanate of Aceh and Wales. Searching 'savegame converter' in google should come up with results for Paradox games. It's been a while since I've downloaded one, though. There are probably better iterations floating around.

Monsieur Yaourt

Educated
Playing with this mod. Just read the changelog, lot of stuff fixed.

A MP game would be very cool, maybe after the 1.2 patch?

Yeah, waiting for 1.2 is a must. I don't want to spend 60 years chasing down Jacobins.

Edit: And Zed, a couple of things regarding what you said. There is a pretty steep learning curve, but once you figure out the game mechanics, the game really isn't very difficult. Victoria 2 is definitely less newbie friendly than EU3 (especially with pops and stuff), but after you play a few games, you'll get it down. Same thing with the other Paradox games, they just take awhile to figure out. I was never got the hubub about them, but once you start, other Grand Strategy games seem pretty bland in comparison (Total War, for example). With the modding community and the good post release support from Paradox, getting into their games is a worthwhile endeavor.

Opposite experience to me. My first games of TW I found really easy, and quickly began looking for mods to make it harder. My first two or three games as EU3 I was getting carved up as France and Castille fairly early. I mean, after you get EU3, it's not difficult anymore (unless you start as a minor, but then it's only difficult in the beginning). If nothing else, though, Paradox games are a lot more in depth with a lot more things to juggle... if you're not good at the War part of Total War you may have a problem, but you'll never run your country into the ground.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
1st GP as Japan, this game is superb!

I was surprised that it took ~20 years for Russia and China to attack me (had infamy of 300 or so).

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
You can count me in :).

No need for hamachi btw, it works better by just connecting directly by ip.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Start your own thread niggers

And be sure to take screenshots and post them for great construction of value

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom