Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria II impressions.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Malakal said:
If You have too much money then lower taxes or build more navy/armies. The less YOU have the more THEY have and the better economy works. Subsidize imports and watch how Your factories earn a lot of money thanks to low imput costs or how Your population quickly rises in class.
My budget screen on the latest game:
rsz_budget.jpg

As you can see, my middle class has all of their LUXURY needs fulfilled in spite of having the highest tax burden. The lower class often looks the same way, with the upper class not managing to fulfill their needs even when I drop the taxes to as low as the ruling party will allow. Also notice that all of my spending sliders, including military spending, are at 100%.

And how do you subsidize imports? Subsidizing a factory only allows you to pay for input when they go into the negative on the books, at least, that's what the tooltip indicates.

France would not EVER cede Alace-Lorraine to Germany, not for any ammount of money, it would be political suicide. And their standing on the world scene would deteriorate.
Why are you guys not capable of seeing how what I mentioned is an EXAMPLE? Purchases were made in the Americas during this period ALL THE TIME. Even if it doesn't make sense in this particular instance, that it isn't an option at all strikes me as a flaw.

In all honesty, this game is just a lot less hardcore than I had originally expected, to the point of being easy even. At least, that's how it feels on normal difficulty.

There's a huge difference between selling ancestral lands to your enemy and selling land an ocean away to (at that time) a minor power. Not to mention in previous incarnations of Paradox games that was an option, and the PC could exploit the AI. So yeah, considering you already think the game is easy it would make it even easier.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Dirk Diggler said:
And how do you subsidize imports? Subsidizing a factory only allows you to pay for input when they go into the negative on the books, at least, that's what the tooltip indicates.

Move the tariffs slider below 0.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Takeda Kenshi said:
There's a huge difference between selling ancestral lands to your enemy and selling land an ocean away to (at that time) a minor power.
Yet neither is allowed.
Not to mention in previous incarnations of Paradox games that was an option, and the PC could exploit the AI. So yeah, considering you already think the game is easy it would make it even easier.
Seems like they threw the baby out with the bathwater, because now it isn't even allowed in multiplayer.
Muty said:
Dirk Diggler said:

Move the tariffs slider below 0.
TY.

Well the good news for you Dirk is the fact that Paradox games are extremely mod-able, so perhaps in the future someone will put this into the game. I'm glad it isn't in the core game because it's incredibly gamey. Regarding America's land purchases, I'm fairly certain there were events in the first Victoria that allowed you to purchase land (Gadsden Purchase comes to mind immediately.)

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Dirk Diggler said:
Malakal said:
If You have too much money then lower taxes or build more navy/armies. The less YOU have the more THEY have and the better economy works. Subsidize imports and watch how Your factories earn a lot of money thanks to low imput costs or how Your population quickly rises in class.
My budget screen on the latest game:
rsz_budget.jpg
Is inflation not modeled in the game? Or does setting spending sliders to the maximum right slowly increase it?

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Not too well, I wish it would adopt a HoI-ish combat system after front lines become much more spread out. As it is now, it's way too easy to force a breakthrough and surround the majority of the enemy's army.

Biggest detractor in my eyes, though, is the lack of unit types. No subs, aircraft carriers, bombers, colonial militia, marines, etc., etc.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Does tax rate affect emigration and population growth, or is that only based on need fulfillment?

Destroid

Arcane
I guess they would need to make some kind of unified game that had the military detail of HoI and the domestic management of Vic.

I'm playing EU3 for the first time at the moment, but I think after a couple of games I'll go for HoI3 - the military aspects of the game are really the most interesting to me and HoI has the most detail in this area, although its certainly much easier to get your head around battle in EU3 than in HoI. In fact, EU seems much simpler in general.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I personally love that their different games have different priorities. Finally got my hands on Semper Fi for HoI3, let the world domination begin!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom