Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria II impressions.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Yes, you probably don't have a large enough population of soldiers to field more men. I wouldn't recommend such a small country such as Texas for your first play through. I would, however, recommend France or Britain, maybe Russia.

The US is kind of hard in the beginning but sorts itself out after you get a big enough population to tax and enough capitalists to build shit tons of factories.

Topher

Cipher
I'm going to play the US right now but then I'm going back to Texas, it's where I live... I've just got to play it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
You can always start as USA, spend some time helping Texas against Mexico and then just change your country.

Topher

Cipher
Hoaxmetal said:
You can always start as USA, spend some time helping Texas against Mexico and then just change your country.

I thought about that but I'm having fun with the US... even though I feel like I'm a monkey clicking buttons. I'll get the hang of it eventually, it's definitely more complicated then EU3.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
wtf, why does my Vicky 2 crash when starting up in 1.2?

:x

I was minding my own business, playing as the Japs, then when I feel I've done enough for one session, I save then press quit to desktop. I get a motherfucking BSOD with a memory dump! System restarts just fine, but now whenever I try and start Vicky 2 it gets an error message and never starts.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Topher, TX isn't all that rough if you follow the strategy I suggest.

Increase relations with the U.S. -> wait for them to intervene, don't worry if your army gets obliterated, it WILL happen -> focus laborers until sulphur has your books in the green -> focus farmers until you can build a cement factory -> follow it up with a glass factory -> you should be on an even kilter.

Get railroads early and you will be a secondary power vying for greatness by the year 1845. I have ended up with more than a million pounds each game that I've made it past the start. The only real lose condition for TX is letting Mexico get into an alliance with the U.S., you are pretty much trapped if that happens, because the game won't let you start a war against a nation which has you in it's sphere of influence. It won't matter that you have the fifth most powerful army on the planet, that diplomatic clout just prevents you from even bothering.

Do ALL of the tutorials first though, seriously. The basic ones don't cut it, nor do the intermediate.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Mexico ends up a great power in most games that I have played. It's usually ranked 4th or 5th in industrial power.

If anything, they gave it a bj by not representing the numerous civil wars which happened for more or less no reason during the 19th and 20th century. The whole history of Mexico is just a series of long civil unrest really.

Topher

Cipher
I've more or less got the basics of the game now but I think it's bugged. It's only the year 1840 and my map lags when I scroll around, it's very annoying, and every time I load up a game after exiting it seems to cause my economy to crash. I was making positive cash flow and after loading the game it drops to -70 or worse for no apparent reason. I didn't change any settings it just shoots into the negative. I think it's a glitch.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Did you happen to start building more brigades for your military? Because they have to buy all the equipment off of the world market if you don't produce any in country.

Dunno about the lag, mine doesn't start to lag hard core until the 1910's.

Topher

Cipher
Chef_Hathaway said:
Did you happen to start building more brigades for your military? Because they have to buy all the equipment off of the world market if you don't produce any in country.

Dunno about the lag, mine doesn't start to lag hard core until the 1910's.

Nope I didn't do a thing and it happens every single time I load up my game, it can't be a coincidence. Also, my map just started to lag and I can't seem to fix it. I hope this is all because I have a pirated version, that way I won't have to deal with it when I get the proper version but if these are actual glitches then I'll keep waiting for more patches or expansions and just go back to playing EU3.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
From what I remember this always happens at the start when the global economy is set up. But each reload? Perhaps Your game recalculates everything each time but thats odd. You playing with 1.2? My experience comes from 1.1 only.

Topher

Cipher
Malakal said:
From what I remember this always happens at the start when the global economy is set up. But each reload? Perhaps Your game recalculates everything each time but thats odd. You playing with 1.2? My experience comes from 1.1 only.

Yeah, I'm playing with 1.2. If the game recalculates everything then why does my economy go from doing well when I saved to in the hole when I load? I have a pirate copy right now because I wasn't sure if I'd like the game, perhaps that's causing the issue?

Topher said:
Malakal said:

Yeah, I'm playing with 1.2. If the game recalculates everything then why does my economy go from doing well when I saved to in the hole when I load? I have a pirate copy right now because I wasn't sure if I'd like the game, perhaps that's causing the issue?

So, do you like the game?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fucking buy it. Paradox needs all the money to keep producing this stuff.

Anyway, your problem sounds like the classic issue of "reload world market" at start-up. Meaning that the whole world economy is fucked up when you reload and it takes some time for it get back to track. Don't worry if your income is minus thousand on the first/second day after loading a game.

If it's still the same after a week, then there's something actually wrong.

Topher

Cipher
Takeda Kenshi said:
Topher said:
Malakal said:

So, do you like the game?

I do like the game. This is my first time trying out Victoria so I wanted to check it out before putting down the cash. I'm planning on picking it up soon. Now I just want to make sure it will work well for me with the 1.2 patch because I'm having a few problems... like the early game lag, it's definitely not because of my computer.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Definitely try mods they are said to fix the game. If You dont have access to mod subforum then ask someone who has. DEFINITELY worth it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Thus far my best experiences were with Pelleos' rebel/reform fix and military rebalance. I tried POPDemand, which was pretty good.

Though the two major things are still there to be fixed is getting warfare to not be a question of superior technology or superior numbers, and fixing the lategame economy.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Is there a way to get territories in a purely diplomatic manner? It really sucks that you have to start a war with France just to bite off those two tiny provinces to unite Germany. It seems especially ridiculous given the period, as there were land swaps and sells of all sorts in the Americas.

Not to mention, what the fuck do you even end up spending money on after a while? It seems like every game I play, no matter what faction I play, I end up with a million pounds and no better for it. It's also a bit corny that people push for reform regardless of how well their needs are met, how well you manage the economy, or how much you provide them with in the way of social services/education.

I just try to hold onto state capitalism and build as many factories my population can handle, shutting down the numerous ones which mysteriously don't work(explosives, luxury ANYTHING, fertilizer, clothes, fuck almost everything except liquor, cement, steel, wine, and glass), set the spending sliders as high as they'll go, and roll my eyes at how absurd the economy mechanics are at this time.

Those two provinces are to force the player into simulating the Franco-Prussian War, which was incredibly important in the unification of Germany. So yes, there is a good reason why you need them.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
I really don't see why having the option to unify without the Franco-Prussian war is a bad thing. It's one thing for them to allow you to reenact history, but it's obvious from the fact that I can turn Texas into a great power that the game doesn't force you to in all aspects.

Seriously, what the everloving fuck? That is your reason for there not being an economic and/or diplomatic way to gain territory from other great powers in the game? I can only imagine that you didn't read what I wrote from your response. I'm not arguing against the need for those territories to fulfill the unification goal, I'm arguing against the fact that you absolutely have to go to war to get them.

Money doesn't have enough uses, period.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
France would not EVER cede Alace-Lorraine to Germany, not for any ammount of money, it would be political suicide. And their standing on the world scene would deteriorate.

Secondly Franco-Prussian war wasnt fought only for those provinces, it was fought to keep French influence out of southern Germany. Before the war (which was started by France) France had good relations with Baden and Bavaria, something similiar to the ingame sphere of influence, after the declaration by France all southern states united under Prussian banner.

In the age of imperialism and nationalism trading core territories should be impossible. And it shoudl also be greatly limited for colonies since no nation would wilingly cede them if it could keep them.

If You have too much money then lower taxes or build more navy/armies. The less YOU have the more THEY have and the better economy works. Subsidize imports and watch how Your factories earn a lot of money thanks to low imput costs or how Your population quickly rises in class.

It would be cool if you could do more with China instead of just annexing them, like force trade concessions, Open Door, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom