Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria II impressions.

Erzherzog

Magister
Seems that Mexico got shafted too. Weaker military, economy and tech, no more parity with the USA!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I started playing for the first time and at first glance it seems very uneventful compared to EU3. I started a game as Wallachia, which it turns out is incredibly limiting because there aren't any choices for me to do with me being a satellite state.

Essentially, all I can do is build up techs, wait for my population to grow, build factories and support craftsman to work in them. All this only for money, which is literally useless to me as I have nothing to spend it on. The only thing was building forts, which I built in every province already. Even with all this, I still managed to get to 18th place for a brief period. :lol:

Now this could all be fixed by me breaking free from the Ottomans, but unlike in EU3 where a vassal can revolt, there's nothing I can do here. It didn't really bother me at first because I expected realism, so I waited for some kind of historical opportunity, like the European Revolutions of 1848, but that year came and went and now it's 1855 with no prospects of freedom in sight. Maybe the Crimean War, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm gonna try playing as Japan for my next game. A bit of warmongering shouldn't hurt!

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
It seems that some factions are entirely unplayable. Texas goes bankrupt no matter what I try to do. Even disbanding the better part of the military seems to do little to no good. Taking out a loan just staves it off for a whole month...

Granted, I might just not have any clue wtf to do. I sat through all of the tutorials and read rather carefully, but it still seems like a big clusterfuck.

Erzherzog

Magister
I played about a quarter length game as Britain and loved it. Vic2 is much easier to control than 1, which means Britain and France are fun rather than annoying.

Colonizing Canada, occasionally beating back the Dutch, fighting to keep my SoIs.

Dirk Diggler said:
It seems that some factions are entirely unplayable. Texas goes bankrupt no matter what I try to do. Even disbanding the better part of the military seems to do little to no good. Taking out a loan just staves it off for a whole month...

Granted, I might just not have any clue wtf to do. I sat through all of the tutorials and read rather carefully, but it still seems like a big clusterfuck.

Texas before the patch was pretty much impossible to play. I'm not sure how they are now.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Erzherzog said:
I played about a quarter length game as Britain and loved it. Vic2 is much easier to control than 1, which means Britain and France are fun rather than annoying.

Colonizing Canada, occasionally beating back the Dutch, fighting to keep my SoIs.

The only thing I do not like is how Britain raises these huge ass colonial armies, seriously, why? Just make it so the colonials can only be militia or irregulars or something. As it is now, it is pretty much impossible to beat Britain in a land war.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
UK did raise millions of indians for WWI so thats realistic. Some even were used in Europe. But TRANSPORTING and supplying millions of troops is way too easy and should be somehow limited. Otherwise indians swarm Europe and British chaps attack China.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Otherwise indians swarm Europe and British chaps attack China.

That is exactly my complaint. You get into a war with Britain and suddenly there are 10 million Indians in your country, while the actual British Army just sits around on the home island.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Chef_Hathaway said:
Otherwise indians swarm Europe and British chaps attack China.

That is exactly my complaint. You get into a war with Britain and suddenly there are 10 million Indians in your country, while the actual British Army just sits around on the home island.

They limited it now but without more advanced supply and transport system I dont see it changed much...

Topher

Cipher
You can play as Texas... I am so getting this just for that. I don't care how broken it is.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Chef_Hathaway said:
Erzherzog said:

The only thing I do not like is how Britain raises these huge ass colonial armies, seriously, why? Just make it so the colonials can only be militia or irregulars or something. As it is now, it is pretty much impossible to beat Britain in a land war.
Yea, it's pretty straightforward. Maybe we should do a Codex Improvement Pack for the MP game, iron out stuff like this. Colonial pops = Irregulars is obvious, but personally I think the rebel system needs to be looked into as well, see if it's on the level (seriously, in 1.1 militancy skyrocketed from just about anything and dropped only when you pass a reform). Oh yea, and something needs to be done about the damn Artisans if they're still essentially nothing but rebel spawn points.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Chef_Hathaway said:
Erzherzog said:

Yea, it's pretty straightforward. Maybe we should do a Codex Improvement Pack for the MP game, iron out stuff like this. Colonial pops = Irregulars is obvious, but personally I think the rebel system needs to be looked into as well, see if it's on the level (seriously, in 1.1 militancy skyrocketed from just about anything and dropped only when you pass a reform). Oh yea, and something needs to be done about the damn Artisans if they're still essentially nothing but rebel spawn points.

Sorry, but Indians, Australians, etc were excellent soldiers, trained and equipped to the same degree as the regular British army. They should get some sort of supply limiter instead.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GarfunkeL said:
Unless you implement the supply&logistics model from HoI3, the problem won't disappear.

Problem is not connected to supply and logistics any more than it is to troop transportation, small costs for fleets (esp transport ones counting thousands of ships IRL) and instant teleportation of reserves and reinforcements from their POPs to armies.

So the current state of affairs is a necessary abstraction I'm afraid. Even allowing non national POPs to only be irregulars wouldnt solve the issue - in Vic 1 all armies were made of irregulars cause they were 1/10 as expensive as regulars and not that much worse. Making them much worse would be imbalanced for uncivs and create unrealistic results too...

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Ok, as of now, Britain has a standing army of over 7.3 million men in 2500+ brigades. 5.5 million of that is in India right now, with another 1.8 million men of all types spread around the world, mostly in Canada and South Africa.

Now, with those numbers in mind, the largest Indian army under British control, historically, was not raised until WW2, which was 2.5 million men. In WW1, it was 1.3 million.

In my game, they have a standing force of over 5.5 million Indians in 1899. Just a wee bit ridiculous.

Erzherzog

Magister
Perhaps manpower should be on a curve that the higher it gets the harder it is to raise a new brigade.

Basically, raising a 2nd division when you have only 1 division costs less manpower than raising a 92nd division when you have 91.

It's not necessarily all that unrealistic, with the further needed supply corps and administration.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But that might still end up working in advantage of the British, since they've got one third of the world population by mid-game in most campaigns.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Erzherzog said:
You think so? It restricts them more than than anyone else though

China? Russia? Those usually have large populations too, especially China. When China mobilizes its impact can be seen even on game performance...

Anyway the best solution would be limiting wrong culture wrong continent mobilization and increasing the cost of maintaining standing armies. Then UK wouldnt field as much as it does now.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Malakal said:
Erzherzog said:
You think so? It restricts them more than than anyone else though

China? Russia? Those usually have large populations too, especially China. When China mobilizes its impact can be seen even on game performance...

Anyway the best solution would be limiting wrong culture wrong continent mobilization and increasing the cost of maintaining standing armies. Then UK wouldnt field as much as it does now.

And assimilation rates, nothing like seeing Italy become 60% German in 5 years.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, partly that is the endless tuning, which is why many games allow you to alter much of the stuff in them, to suit your version of "reality" or "balance".

HoI3 supply model would actually restrict Armies pretty efficiently, just need to get little more micro in there that instead of building supplies offscreen, they are now produced automatically as your canned food/ammunition/etc stores grow, creating a hard cap on the amount of forces you can supply. Then allow colonial troops to draw fewer amounts than regular troops, to help maintaining peace in large empires and to simulate living off the land. Finally, make the supplies run from the capital literally like in HoI3, so that brigade in that distant hell-hole behind mountains and oceans is only barely supplied during a good month.

Could make supplies a resource on their own, requiring a specific building which doesn't give you money, only spends it, as it has to buy canned food, grain, oil, ammunition, small arms, cannons, etc, then pay its workers, only for you to lose part of the output thanks to attrition in long supply chains.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Okay, I was mistaken, Texas is actually quite playable.

But it's a little weird...

If you want to live, you must do the same thing at the start of EVERY game. Increase relations with the united states, get your ass kicked, and hope they intervene.

If they do, you can go all the way on to great power.(cement and glass factory lol)

If they don't, you lose really fast.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You know they won only because of amazing coincidences and luck, odds were about 1 in 100 at best. If AI manages to sometimes win with Texas (ie to keep independence) then those odds are kept.

Topher

Cipher
Ok, so I'm new to the series. How do I build armies??? I'm playing Texas, can I just not support and more units? I tried playing the US for a bit but I couldn't sort it out with them either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom