Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News [Unconfirmed] The Elder Scrolls V in the Works

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Rhalle said:
Andyman Messiah said:
CrimHead said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I hear the fighter's guild are recruiting again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:
:x :x :x :x :x :x

Lol. Why is there so much hatred for the random flavor-text that sometimes points the player in the right direction when they overhear it? It's like the mudcrab business-- it's not like the filthy creatures are the end-boss of the main plot or something.
Hello.
Yes?
Goodbye.

Dantus12

Educated
DraQ said:
Dantus12 said:
This is a Forum.A place for opinions,POV`s,and different ideas
This is RPGCodex. The place where your opinions, POVs and ideas will be assumed worthless and dismissed right away without reading by many, if cursory examination reveals at least one stupid argument. Or if cursory examination reveals that you're too fucking dense to grasp that having placed a punctuation mark in your post you should also place a space after it. Because not only are we elitist and full of contempt, but also lazy to the point of considering chances of finding anything interesting in your post to be completely offset by extra effort required to trudge through badly formatted posts in search for lost meaning.

Fortunately it should be easy to rectify by anyone intelligent enough to grasp find&replace function of modern text editors (80 IQ should suffice), so if you have anything to tell us and are smart enough for it to be possibly worthwhile, fix your posts, and we may talk.

And I actually prefer playing my games,instead of dissecting them.
Me too, except you should replace 'dissecting' with 'LARPing'.
And as you pointed out Oblivion was a sandbox game.
As much as a cardboard replica of a car you can sit in and make engine noises can be considered a sandbox car.
:smug:

Wow, so that`s what Mikayel was talking about. I read my posts during editing. I used a external editor because English is not my first language, so I`m having translation tools as well. According to Google , still don`t know what it is, it`s about the font size, the editor one or the system one, that after copy-paste everything gets squeezed .

So thank you for pointing this out. Mikayel did not mention who He means,
so I didn't read my posts to notice the squeezing.
Will try to edit the post from my Profile.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Because not only are we elitist and full of contempt, but also lazy
DraQ said:
wall of text explaining why we are lazy
I see you didn't mention we're also an exquisite paradox :smug:

And as you pointed out Oblivion was a sandbox game.
OBLIVION IS NOT A SANDBOX GAME :x It's an "open-world RPG game".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Oblivion was a sand box with half the toys missing while the other half were all broken.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lyric Suite said:
Oblivion was a sand box with half the toys missing while the other half were all broken.

This is the best description for Oblivion I've ever read.

Hegel

Arcane
Xor said:
Lyric Suite said:

This is the best description for Oblivion I've ever read.
It's incomplete, he forgot to mention the part where others children age changed according to yours. :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Pretty much this. An open world game is like walking into someone else's sandbox where every single castle has been cast in cement. In Oblivion's case, add what Lyric Suite said.

Elzair

Cipher
In how many hours is the deadline? There is a short story I want to submit that I haven't had time to polish.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

DraQ

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
Wow, so that`s what Mikayel was talking about. I read my posts during editing. I used a external editor because English is not my first language, so I`m having translation tools as well. According to Google , still don`t know what it is, it`s about the font size, the editor one or the system one, that after copy-paste everything gets squeezed .
Wait, where the hell are you from?
:/

As for oblivious, you can find most of the reasons why it sucks here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=142
http://sites.google.com/site/damicat/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 781#433781

Dantus12

Educated
DraQ said:
Dantus12 said:
Wow, so that`s what Mikayel was talking about. I read my posts during editing. I used a external editor because English is not my first language, so I`m having translation tools as well. According to Google , still don`t know what it is, it`s about the font size, the editor one or the system one, that after copy-paste everything gets squeezed .Wait, where the hell are you from?
:/

Retardo Land apparently, there wasn't even a preview window till I uninstalled the translator with the cursed toolbar.:oops:

I guess that I mostly liked the length of the game, and the Shivering Isles expansion I never said it was the pinnacle of RPG`s.

The really impressive thing about the game was the fact that it worked for me out of the box, without any problems.

The traumatic memories of Morrowind and the frequent sleeping for 3 days to reset the dead Cliff Racer`s, to actually continue playing the game without CTD probably added to that impression.

I absolutely agree with your views of the quest line and gameplay. I like class variety in games for example but played the game only once, probably the biggest problem for me was loosing interest , mostly because of the main quest line, it`s hard to describe but - no replay value.

-

Dantus12 said:
probably the biggest problem for me was loosing interest , mostly because of the main quest line, it`s hard to describe but - no replay value.

:x

If you're learning english don't pick up this misspelling, it's fucking everywhere taking over!

loose: My pants are too loose

Lose: How could I lose my pants!?

Because they were too loose you fuckin fag.

kris

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
And I actually prefer playing my games, instead of dissecting them.

Playing a game is dissecting it, unless you somehow lack intellectual capacity. UI, gameplay is dissected by using it, graphics is dissected by watching it.

DraQ

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
Retardo Land apparently, there wasn't even a preview window till I uninstalled the translator with the cursed toolbar.:oops:
:lol:
:salute:

I guess that I mostly liked the length of the game, and the Shivering Isles expansion I never said it was the pinnacle of RPG`s.
SI was actually decent, as in "possible to play while having fun", but it owed it entirely to the atmosphere and environs. It was still marred by terribad mechanics and such, though inane dialogue wasn't nearly as glaring in SI due to most NPCs being fucked up in one way or another.

The really impressive thing about the game was the fact that it worked for me out of the box, without any problems.
That should be a bog-standard thing rather than something impressive, and, in any case, it's just blatantly false.

Here's why.

Morrowind had it's share of bugs, but I haven't seen any that would be this damaging.

The traumatic memories of Morrowind and the frequent sleeping for 3 days to reset the dead Cliff Racer`s, to actually continue playing the game without CTD probably added to that impression.
You can always remove bodies manually. While Morrowind is very crash-prone, it wasn't really much of a problem for me. Actually, I was pretty impressed when I played vanilla, when the game discovered it was about to crash, and automatically created separate save file before dumping me to desktop.

I absolutely agree with your views of the quest line and gameplay. I like class variety in games for example but played the game only once, probably the biggest problem for me was loosing interest , mostly because of the main quest line, it`s hard to describe but - no replay value.
I don't think it's hard to describe. The game just doesn't provide meaningful distinctions between characters in terms of what they can do. While the problem also existed in Morrowind, it was much less prevalent, as the only practical way to overcome class limitations was buying training, while in oblivious not only you couldn't fail, which meant extremely rapid and safer developement of misc skills, but you were encouraged to work around your class by aggresive level scaling. Plus, there were no stat requirements anywhere, while in Morrowind you had guild requirements, and even rare dialogue stat checks. Finally, Oblivion had serious viability problems for many builds thanks to complete uselessness of many skills combined with aggressive scaling. In Morrowind I could make a peaceful diplomatic character and have little problem playing the game, even though character interaction was less than rewarding. In oblivious it would be a suicide.

Finally, oblivion just raped the setting, magic system, material lore and had barely any content when compared to TES2 or 3.

If it was titled Arena 2 I would probably be more accepting, but as a proper TES game or an attempt at proper RPG it was just vile.

You don't need to dissect game to notice all that. It's just obvious when you're playing it, especially if the game is supposed to be an open world game, rather than a rail shooter which, as it was demonstrated in another thread, can have most of its gameplay replaced with a cutscene.

racofer

Thread Incliner
MIND RAPING TIME!!!

TealcBest.jpg

SG-1TEAM-1.jpg

Stargate.jpg

NatalieBreton.jpg

AmidalaStock.jpg

LightSabre.jpg

A4-1.jpg

SandraPortrait.jpg

SirHouse4.jpg

HOUSEBlueEyes.jpg

H4.jpg

Broom4.jpg

RIDDICK2.jpg

RIDDICK.jpg

SirVin2-1.jpg

SirVin4-1.jpg

SirVin.jpg

DF4.jpg

DF5.jpg

Snow1.jpg

Snow3.jpg

Snow4.jpg

Frodo4-1.jpg

GS3.jpg

LindsayVer1c-1.jpg

4431-1-1225722976.jpg

27966-1-1257127262.jpg

Uma987.jpg

BradPortrait2.jpg

And the best for last:

MJPray1.jpg

MJPray2.jpg

Michael3-1.jpg

For Crispy, with :love:

15591-1-1206440267.jpg

15591-5-1204194070.jpg

15591-4-1204194070.jpg

15591-1-1217312106.jpg

15591-1-1217311705.jpg

15591-1-1217311949.jpg

15591-1-1206500804.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom