Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News [Unconfirmed] The Elder Scrolls V in the Works

flushfire

Augur
Blackula said:
but then they'd end up with Oblivion with guns AKA Fallout 3 :)

seriously though, it's ridiculous that there aren't any ranged weapons except bows in oblivion.

Dantus12

Educated
DraQ

All right, show me a superior looking RPG from 2006, un modded.
I mean Company of Heroes looks better, HlL looks better.but cant remember a RPG.
What do effects of never seen spells, example as a warrior have to do with say a forest or house?
Damage? Again unrelated , exploding limbs don`t add to my experience, neither do holes in walls, the general look of effects is vastly unimportant to me, simply because I have nothing against games without special effects, massive amounts of blood or spectacular
physics.

For Your so superior view on individual things like atmosphere, which Bethesda games have none, you might try other games.
Bloom? This can be solved, seen much uglier,in much more over hyped games, that received lots of praise even on this site. Again, gameplay mechanics, dumbing down, the killing of the franchise, the shitty ARPG, casualisation, retards like my self aside, I just said that I, and lots of other people, including other gamers, critics, previewers and reviewrs, liked the general looks of the game.
Same apply`s to Morrowind, and the biggest graphical shit yet to come is Two Worlds`s 2 unless they do a complete overhaul till the US market gets the game.

Gerrard

Arcane
Speaking of JC2, they should just get that engine. At least the forests would look good.

Dantus12 said:
All right,show me a superior looking RPG from 2006,un modded.
Dark Messiah

Which coincidentally is not only better looking but also a better RPG than Bolivion. And with better gameplay.

Dantus12

Educated
Drakron,Gerrard

In FFXII -great animations, lots of fantastic Cinematics, interesting special effects ,good models, but in real time-no, at least for me, speaking only about environments.

Dark Messiah, hated the skies and environmental textures, but fantastic models , might be because the game had performance issues, and lots of bugs, was running on lower settings for me, so to each his own. The gameplay , I found it boring as much as Oblivion.

Raapys

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
Gothic 3 came out in 2006. It looks about ten times better than Oblivion.

Drakron

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
In FFXII -great animations,lots of fantastic Cinematics,interesting special effects,good models,but in real time-no,at least for me,speaking only about environments.

You said "superior looking" and I said FF XII that is a superior looking game, dont try to sidestep.

Environments is one of the areas were Square usually shines, Oblivion have good cities but considering the concept art was offsourced is not really a strength of Bethsoft as they also did not implemented it that well (especially the cut/paste dungeons) as FF XII does a remarkable job of making different environments that are unique, after all ... were are the deserts in Oblivion?

Point is Oblivion was a good looking sandbox RPG but that was it, it suffered from too many issues and the only thing Oblivion was worth was for mods.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oblivion vs Final Fantasy XII. There's a tough one.

Dantus12

Educated
Raapys said:
Dantus12 said:
Gothic 3 came out in 2006. It looks about ten times better than Oblivion.

This.Got the game mid 2007,but the world was amazing.Definitely better environments than Oblivion.Agree absolutely.

Dantus12

Educated
Drakron said:
Dantus12 said:
In FFXII -great animations,lots of fantastic Cinematics,interesting special effects,good models,but in real time-no,at least for me,speaking only about environments.

You said "superior looking" and I said FF XII that is a superior looking game, dont try to sidestep.

Environments is one of the areas were Square usually shines, Oblivion have good cities but considering the concept art was offsourced is not really a strength of Bethsoft as they also did not implemented it that well (especially the cut/paste dungeons) as FF XII does a remarkable job of making different environments that are unique, after all ... were are the deserts in Oblivion?

Point is Oblivion was a good looking sandbox RPG but that was it, it suffered from too many issues and the only thing Oblivion was worth was for mods.

This is a Forum. A place for opinions, POV`s, and different ideas, I dont take it seriously enough to sidestep .But FFXII- no on the environments, I dont need a desert in Oblivion if it`s not a part of the lore. Gothic 3 had a desert, a great looking one, still I prefer Nordmarr.

The copy-paste dungeons, well that`s mainstream, this I see in every genre, somehow I don`t notice it anymore.
The thing with opinion`s is that they are different, like preferences are.
The discussion was about a better looking environment, this we have now-Gothic3, the game didn't even occur to me, because I read gamers view`s on a game, rarely previews or reviews, otherwise I would be a EA fanboy, and I got the game late, broken as it was, not even the Community patch fixed the game for me. And I actually prefer playing my games, instead of dissecting them. And as you pointed out Oblivion was a sandbox game.

Luzur

Good Sir
ArcturusXIV said:
I pray for an MMO. The dialogue will be more witty than standard Bethesda fare!

i got it, why not a singleplayer RPG but the dialogues are online MMO? people from all over the world can login and speak with you through the NPCS while you quest in singleplayer mode!

fucking awesome! GOTY! 10/10 on gamefaqs etc etc

1134695493_73.jpg

1280417554923s.jpg

Glorious.

Black

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Put a fucking space after your punctuation marks.

He's probably typing his posts from his ps3, as it does not have games :lol:

Rhalle

Magister
Andyman Messiah said:
CrimHead said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I hear the fighter's guild are recruiting again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:
:x :x :x :x :x :x

Lol. Why is there so much hatred for the random flavor-text that sometimes points the player in the right direction when they overhear it? It's like the mudcrab business-- it's not like the filthy creatures are the end-boss of the main plot or something.

DraQ

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
This is a Forum.A place for opinions,POV`s,and different ideas
This is RPGCodex. The place where your opinions, POVs and ideas will be assumed worthless and dismissed right away without reading by many, if cursory examination reveals at least one stupid argument. Or if cursory examination reveals that you're too fucking dense to grasp that having placed a punctuation mark in your post you should also place a space after it. Because not only are we elitist and full of contempt, but also lazy to the point of considering chances of finding anything interesting in your post to be completely offset by extra effort required to trudge through badly formatted posts in search for lost meaning.

Fortunately it should be easy to rectify by anyone intelligent enough to grasp find&replace function of modern text editors (80 IQ should suffice), so if you have anything to tell us and are smart enough for it to be possibly worthwhile, fix your posts, and we may talk.

And I actually prefer playing my games,instead of dissecting them.
Me too, except you should replace 'dissecting' with 'LARPing'.
And as you pointed out Oblivion was a sandbox game.
As much as a cardboard replica of a car you can sit in and make engine noises can be considered a sandbox car.
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom