Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News [Unconfirmed] The Elder Scrolls V in the Works

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

<p>... as a direct sequel to Oblivion, <a href="http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/2010-11-22-the-elder-scrolls-v-paa-vej" target="_blank">reports Eurogamer.dk</a>. <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&amp;sl=da&amp;tl=en&amp;u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.dk%2Farticles%2F2010-11-22-the-elder-scrolls-v-paa-vej" target="_blank">Here's a google translation</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>He not only confirmed the role of the game's current production, but also spoke briefly about the content - that is part fantasy scintillating words of like Dragon Lord, anything with Blades, and voice acting for the characters in the game is on in these weeks.</span></p>
<p><span>The same source confirmed with official game documents in hand, this will be a direct sequel to The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16 years old Elder Scrolls saga and of itself one of the last years of better RPG for PC and consoles.</span></p>
<p><span>We convey thereto just what we've seen and heard, and respecting of course, that there is an NDA agreement for all involved, why we have chosen not to clarify details about either fly trip geographic details, case writer or the identity of the source of these sparse facts about the first game.</span></p>
<p><span>But the sequel to Oblivion comes, we can confirm without hesitation.</span> <span>It is true also of being a long time ago we wrote 2006, is not it?</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Of course it is.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100507-unconfirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-is-a-direct-sequel-to-oblivion.html">GB</a></p>

Vibalist

Arcane
Great translation.

And are these news really surprising? of course they're gonna make a sequel.

CrimHead

Scholar
that is part fantasy scintillating words of like Dragon Lord, anything with Blades, and voice acting for the characters in the game is on in these weeks.

899db8e5.gif

CreamySpinach

Educated
This is stupid. Where is this man's loyalties? I want a Fallout 4 before, or during an ES.

Bethesda did only 1 Fallout. How many ES Obsidians and MarrowWinds do their fans deserve? For real?

I just visited their forum. They have Three Moron Winds? How the hell!

And four Oblivinons! As far as I am concerned, you still owe me more DLC for Fallout 3. You could at least be working on Fallout 4 even if it won't come out for a while.

Edit: Also what clever Hungbats overlook the fact they have Fallout Tactics? You have to expand on that too! If you are who you say you are, you will.

CreamySpinach

Educated
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>... as a direct sequel to Oblivion, <a href="http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/2010-11-22-the-elder-scrolls-v-paa-vej" target="_blank">reports Eurogamer.dk</a>. <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.dk%2Farticles%2F2010-11-22-the-elder-scrolls-v-paa-vej" target="_blank">Here's a google translation</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>He not only confirmed the role of the game's current production, but also spoke briefly about the content - that is part fantasy scintillating words of like Dragon Lord, anything with Blades, and voice acting for the characters in the game is on in these weeks.</span></p>
<p><span>The same source confirmed with official game documents in hand, this will be a direct sequel to The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16 years old Elder Scrolls saga and of itself one of the last years of better RPG for PC and consoles.</span></p>
<p><span>We convey thereto just what we've seen and heard, and respecting of course, that there is an NDA agreement for all involved, why we have chosen not to clarify details about either fly trip geographic details, case writer or the identity of the source of these sparse facts about the first game.</span></p>
<p><span>But the sequel to Oblivion comes, we can confirm without hesitation.</span> <span>It is true also of being a long time ago we wrote 2006, is not it?</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Of course it is.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100507-unconfirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-is-a-direct-sequel-to-oblivion.html">GB</a></p>

What is an NDA?

No Don't Ask.

you need an NDAT.
No Don't Ask Tell.

wait nope...

NDA is No Decision Announced

Relay

Educated
Am I the only one who feels sad that the TES setting died with Morrowind ? Oblivion felt like a huge slap to the face to anyone who played and liked both Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Morrowind was shit and Daggerfall was mediocre with only a few glimmering moments of awesome. Fuck The Elder Scrolls. I can't believe anybody here gives a fuck about it.

edit: This is awesome, btw:

The same source confirmed with official game documents in hand

AND THUS THE LORD SPOKE, KINGCOMRADE IS A FAG AND BEHOLD THERE WILL BE ANOTHER SHITTY ELDER SCROLLS GAME! SO SAYETH THE PROPHECIES WRITTEN BY PETE HINES!

KalosKagathos

Learned
Ancient said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
direct sequel to The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion,

wait...what?
Hey, it's not that bad of an idea. With the royal bloodline severed, there's bound to be a fun and messy struggle for the throne. You could make a great branching RPG that allows you to support various factions or play them to your own ends, leading to vastly different conclusions. Throw in good dungeon design, a flexible-yet-balanced character development system and fast-paced combat that punishes random button mashing and allows for multiple approaches, and you have a very promising RPG.

Wait, it's a Bethesda game. Never mind.

Achilles

Arcane
How would you guys feel if Bethesda kept TES for themselves and permanently appointed Obsidian as the ones in charge of all things Fallout?

KalosKagathos

Learned
Alexandros said:
How would you guys feel if Bethesda kept TES for themselves and permanently appointed Obsidian as the ones in charge of all things Fallout?
I'd be pissed that the franchise just can't die, despite there being nowhere for it to go. Advance the timeline further, and it's no longer post-apoc. Change the location to another continent, and the series will have to drop its trademark look, unless Vault-Tec is retconned into an international corporation. More spin-offs are possible, I guess, but I don't think the setting lends itself well to that many gameplay styles. Another tactics game or a strategy game would probably work, but there's only so many of them you can make before they get old.

EDIT: Oh, you can do what everyone does and make a prequel, but that's like admitting you've run out of ideas.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alexandros said:

Actually I'd prefer it the other way around, but that's because I like the (pre-Oblivion) TES setting more than Fallout. :oops:

On the other hand, they've proven that they can do good stuff with Fallout, so yeah, not a bad idea. Best would be for Obsidian to buy out Bethesda but... well yeah.

Achilles

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Actually I'd prefer it the other way around, but that's because I like the (pre-Oblivion) TES setting more than Fallout. :oops:

I do too. There will be no shame :bro:

deuxhero

Arcane
Fake or someone along the reporting line is an idiot (though this is post-Oblivion Bethesda, so number 2 isn't unlikely).

The one thing we know about the game for sure is it takes place far in the future (it was mentioned in the news for one of the novels). It is impossible to be a "direct" sequel (continues the plots and characters, rather than just being in the same universe).

deuxhero

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Alexandros said:
I'd be pissed that the franchise just can't die, despite there being nowhere for it to go. Advance the timeline further, and it's no longer post-apoc. Change the location to another continent, and the series will have to drop its trademark look, unless Vault-Tec is retconned into an international corporation. More spin-offs are possible, I guess, but I don't think the setting lends itself well to that many gameplay styles. Another tactics game or a strategy game would probably work, but there's only so many of them you can make before they get old.

EDIT: Oh, you can do what everyone does and make a prequel, but that's like admitting you've run out of ideas.

J.E. Sawyer has said for quite a bit he would like to do somethiing covering the Resource Wars in Europe.

Andhaira

Arcane
If they drop (or DRASTICALLY reduce) the level scaling this could actually be fantastic news. A huge open world rpg in the vein of Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind by the same people who made those games.

All we need to pray for, is that they drop the level scaling. That alone is what made Oblivion suck in part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom