Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Rise of the Triad game!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Multi-headed Cow

Holy fuck the performance is awful. AWFUL for a UE3 game. I can run basically any other UE3 game with 60+ FPS and maximum eyecandy with no trouble, but RotT on the absolute lowest settings idles at 70FPS at best and then as soon as I go around a corner and start shooting it goes under 20. For fuck's sake.

And like Sexbad there says, mouse smoothing is shit and has to be disabled in an ini, and the movement is off. That said the level design looks promising from the few minutes I spent with it. Ran through e1m1 and some of e1m2. Found 6 out of 11 secrets on e1m1 my first time through. Just annoying the game is almost unplayable because the performance pisses me off so bad.

Repressed Homosexual
The movement scheme, though, feels straight out of UDK with no modification. Just running around feels really stiff because there's no sense of momentum; you're just a hitbox that whooshes in whatever direction you want it to. It lacks the smoothness and elasticity that you'd get in something like Quake 3, and similarly there's no bunnyjumping as far as I know, so it's much harder to enjoy circlestrafing and whatnot. The movement scheme is a disservice to any Doom clone imho.

Exactly what I hated in the Painkiller remake.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There are these weird shiny walls everywhere and a lot of drabmurk visuals, halfway to grimdark style pioneered by Quake, only Quake had a visual style and this game doesn't. The quasi-realism is out of place, especially next to all the coins. Levels aren't properly scaled to player movement speed. Looks like a superficial aping of an old-school FPS based on some kind of napkin checklist. Clearly the original ROTT designers either weren't involved or they had a horrible car accident and got amnesia.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Levels aren't properly scaled to player movement speed. Looks like a superficial aping of an old-school FPS based on some kind of napkin checklist. Clearly the original ROTT designers either weren't involved or they had a horrible car accident and got amnesia.
Based on some of the levels, that's not an unfair judgment I think. However, I got up to the third or fourth mission and found the environments to be much more expansive than what came before. It might be able to redeem itself in that respect imho.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Man, one would think that a remake's something easy to do but given the recent streak of remakes that are turning terrible something's odd. Guess we should learn from the film industry.

DemonKing

Arcane
Man, one would think that a remake's something easy to do but given the recent streak of remakes that are turning terrible something's odd. Guess we should learn from the film industry.

I don't see the point in doing remakes - they inevitably seem to piss off the fans who loved the original in the first place because nostalgia is such a powerful thing that nothing can match your memoires of the original and newer/younger players who never played the original are pissed off because they don't understand the appeal of the archaic game designs of ye olden days (the 90s). Added to that most remakes to date seem to be cash grabs that are pushed out the door half-baked causing anyone who doesn't get frustrated for the above reasons to rage-quit anyway.

Not particularly great, but it's pretty fun. Once you set things up (turn off all the superfluous effects, basically), it plays and feels quite good, the first couple of levels that I've seen so far are based pretty closely on the original game (which even back in the day was better known for its over-the-top ludicrousness rather than particular excellence in gameplay or level design) but aren't really identical. I wish the minor healing items would not respawn (at least on hard)* and certain invisible walls (e.g. when rocket jumping) are irritating, but other than that, I think it's really fine for a remake (especially a RotT remake) and certainly not comparable to the Blade of Destiny fiasco.

*They apparently don't, it's just that the game doesn't remember your difficulty setting when you load it (which is not too bright, either).

Multi-headed Cow

Best thing I can say about this thus far is that reloading plays a reloading animation and just wastes your time. Pistols and machine gun have infinite bullets and infinite magazines. Pressing R just makes you feel good and plays an animation, it's never needed.

Best thing I can say about this thus far is that reloading plays a reloading animation and just wastes your time. Pistols and machine gun have infinite bullets and infinite magazines. Pressing R just makes you feel good and plays an animation, it's never needed.

It's a joke. That's precisely the way ammo worked in the original game, except now you have an animation where your character actually puts the exact same magazine back in (or swap them between the two pistols).

DefJam101

Arcane
The first few levels are claustrophobic and weird. After that the level design opens up and you can run around more.

Oddly enough, limited circle jumping is possible, but continued strafe jumping is not.

Honestly the biggest problem with this game is the engine it runs (like shit) on. Otherwise it's a pretty great remake of RoTT. I'm just not sure if RoTT needed a remake.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What the actual fuck. How horribly optimized can a game be? Aiming is fucking terrible. It's a fast-paced game, but aiming on enemies while moving is absolutely impossible. I have to stand still and soak up shots to aim on enemies. The actual performance is pretty shit as well. Especially for a UE3 game.

It's a pity, because the actual game looks really solid.

Apogee, you fucked up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How can you fuck up a run and gun shooter on an old engine?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
ROTT is a fast paced shooter. UE3 has never been good at fast-paced games. It's always been a engine better suited to console games.

This game should never have utilized UE3.

UserNamer

Cipher
The movement scheme, though, feels straight out of UDK with no modification. Just running around feels really stiff because there's no sense of momentum; you're just a hitbox that whooshes in whatever direction you want it to. It lacks the smoothness and elasticity that you'd get in something like Quake 3, and similarly there's no bunnyjumping as far as I know, so it's much harder to enjoy circlestrafing and whatnot. The movement scheme is a disservice to any Doom clone imho.

Exactly what I hated in the Painkiller remake.

Incidentally I recently got into painkiller, I remember hating it but out of boredom I gave the series another try, and I'm hooked.. jumped straight on trauma difficulty and the game is a blast, shame that the art design of the monsters is kinda shitty compared to doom, quake, and ss3, but the variety of locales\gameplay is great.

I tried the remake first, and holy shit did they mess up a lot of shit! The hitbox\collision detection of the enemy attacks is absolutely retarded and not at all implemented, nothing like the precision of the original.. also they removed the feedback to some harmful stuff, like the gas on the scepters of those scepters carrying enemies or more ridicolously the absence of rendered spikes from the giant spike attack. They also seem to have removed special abilities from the enemies, stuff like ninja moving moving at ninja speed or samurai seppukuing, they added pointless invisible walls (like on the trains of the train station), I mean what a fucking failure of a remake! Shame because I dig the new looks especially on the enemies.

Anyway I got into painkiller black and I think it's real fun. It only needs a better enemy art design imho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom