Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Rise of the Triad game!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

UserNamer

Cipher
I always assumed regenerating health and all the other popamole mechanics were just a result of developer laziness. After spending million in marketing and cutscenes, why waste time with stuff like enemy and resource placement?

Anyway, who cares if big developers are not interested in doing games with actual game mechanics that are fun and challenging- serious sam proved potatoish developers can deliver, and deliver with truly spectacular technology. I don't know about this new rise of the triad but for the moment I think that gibbing people with the pistol is a little bit retarded

Roderick

Savant

that looks really good. and that's just the first levels.
apart from rise of the triad it kinda looks influenced by brutal doom.
I can't believe it a first person shooter with some balls these days!!

Multi-headed Cow

First good thing I've seen from E3, given that I've paid 0 attention to E3 and only have seen what people have thrown at me. It looks faster paced than proper RotT but still looks like it should be fun. And I'm glad they've got the "Ludicrous gibs!" random happening, complete with eyeballs. Only two though, a good ludicrous gib should have multiple skulls and shit.

Also glad the developer pronounces it "Jib" instead of "Gib" as in give. AS IS PROPER.

Edit: Wait what the FUCK. WHEN HE'S IN GOD MODE HE DOESN'T MOAN. GAME RUINED.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It does look fun but I sure hope it's possible to tone the speed down, else I won't be able to play it :?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, you know how Morgoth D1Ps stuff? I preordered it a month in advance, making it a -30 day purchase.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
im thinking of buying a 4 pack, 1 for me, 1 for my brother, and 2 to give to people. not you guys, some of my RL friends of course. you guys dont deserve free games.

all the old weapons, and multiplayer. the original ROTT was the first FPS to feature a traversable up/down and some truly creative weapons that i just loved. plus all the multiplayer modes kicked ass with all the options you could set.

i fucking loved the original ROTT.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll pre-order on GOG a few days before it comes out. Could end up a waste of money but there are worse ideas to support than bringing back this insane shit.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
i fucking loved the original ROTT.
While RoTT was an interesting game when it came out, maybe even the first game I can recall to break from the cartoony-FPS mode, it had problems. That game had notorious problems with sync errors and such. It may have had style and creativity, but it was a niche game at best with very poor multi-player. The fact that they are coming out with a sequel after all this time is more indicative of just how shitty the FPS market is than how good or well known RoTT was. RoTT was pretty average at best.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
i had a premise license, and we used to play it after school in the computer room with 4-5 of us.

it was awesome playing with all the modes and maps. not sure what game you were playing, but it was not the same i was playing. or maybe my friends at the time was better than yours.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
it looks like the graphic violence needs more work, and there's something about that default ue3 headbob that makes me want to claw my eyes out, but it looks like it actually has some over-the-top ideas behind its gameplay that could make it a hell of a lot of fun anyway. i may try to jew a review copy out of that dave oshry fellow.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I pre-ordered yesterday. If the game turns out to be shit, at least I got the Apogee pack for free. Blake Stone looks interesting.

DefJam101

Arcane
Pre-ordered as well. After speaking with a couple of the developers themselves (and their amazing marketing guy) I can tell you this definitely ain't no cashgrab remake of RoTT95. These guys work fast and hard and don't fuss over bullshit.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm also all preordered-up. Got relatively high hopes for it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with remaking this type of game. Sometimes you just want to blast stuff in a fast-paced, twitch shooter. Where your only goals are to stay alive, see what the next level and batch of enemies look like. No 'serious biz', regenerating health, cut-scenes and scripts out the ying yang. Just some mindless fun. I don't think they make them like that anymore. I can only think of maybe Painkiller or Serious Sam 3 (which I haven't tried yet). There's got to be a few others but I don't know what they are.

Serious Sam 3 is a masterpiece in my opinion and in many ways superior to older stuff like doom, duke 3d, quake and so on (come at me). But it's actually not mindless if you play it on serious, It's far from it, most of the fights require actual effort.

This caught my eye, and must disagree on the Serious part being "not mindless". Except for a couple of battles, SSam3 on Serious is pretty much the same as SSam3 on Hard. It really didn't bother me that much. Note that I am talking about Singleplayer.

Now SSam: SE HD on Serious, that's a different story. I've had a couple of tries at it, and still haven't completed the first level. The difficulty ramps up considerably.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2045...-triad-is-so-hard-your-head-will-explode.html

The game seems to look at the way I’ve let my circle-strafing skills atrophy over the last decade and sneer. I'm not being dramatic—it actually mocks me. “Stick to a gamepad,” the voiceover taunts and I hang my head, all too aware of how piercing and knowing the insult is.

:incline:

:hero:

Also

This is a game for people who remember Wolfenstein 3D, who flip dual middle fingers at the thought of tactical shooters, who cackle at the mere thought of controversy surrounding violence in games, who consider regenerating health a ruinous gimmick, and who lament that “rocket jump” has slipped from our cultural lexicon.

I wonder where someone can find such people+M

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I caved in and preordered it at the last minute because I had 10 $teambux from trading card idling. It's mechanically pretty solid and the level design is nice, even on the first level, but on a technical level it is pretty terrible so far. I say wait for a sale or until the 10 patches come out, whichever happens first. Fortunately, statistically speaking, the facts that it's almost indie, a PC exclusive and a really fucking odd game mean the devs are likely to be willing to patch it quickly. For now...

Even on the lowest settings (where it looks pretty bad), it eats my 5770 for breakfast. Also, by default, and there's no menu option for this, UE3 mouse smoothing is on. I had to actually add the mouse smoothing variable to an INI file to turn it off. After that, it felt much better, even with the performance problems.

The movement scheme, though, feels straight out of UDK with no modification. Just running around feels really stiff because there's no sense of momentum; you're just a hitbox that whooshes in whatever direction you want it to. It lacks the smoothness and elasticity that you'd get in something like Quake 3, and similarly there's no bunnyjumping as far as I know, so it's much harder to enjoy circlestrafing and whatnot. The movement scheme is a disservice to any Doom clone imho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom