Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Rise of the Triad game!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Don't worry guys, it will be shit.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Why are they doing this? It really baffles me. The old fans won't care, don't follow gaming anymore, or won't like it, and the young fans have never played or even heard of the original.

Why reboot these ancient titles?

Multi-headed Cow

I'm wary about the feel of the engine. Huge weapon viewmodels, narrow field of view...I can only hope that stuff is customizable, but then again these remakes can be very finnicky and more locked-down than the originals.
FOV at least will most likely be editable. Uses UE3 engine apparently so there should be .inis to edit if they don't give you the options in the game itself.

Also learned the game will apparently launch at $15 and have 20 levels and use Steamworks for mods/player made maps, have 32 person multiplayer, and have a score system/leaderboards for maps. I just hope those 20 maps are weird and silly as hell.

Why are they doing this? It really baffles me. The old fans won't care, don't follow gaming anymore, or won't like it, and the young fans have never played or even heard of the original.

Why reboot these ancient titles?
I dunno, I care. So long as they don't fuck it up I'd be all for shrooms mode/god mode/dog mode/more rocket launchers than any other weapon in the game FPS. But will we be able to have monk meal hot!?

Kahlis

Cipher
I dunno, I care. So long as they don't fuck it up I'd be all for shrooms mode/god mode/dog mode/more rocket launchers than any other weapon in the game FPS. But will we be able to have monk meal hot!?
It was the priest porridge that you could eat hot.

Cassidy

Arcane
This looks better than near every shooter released since 2000.

Hope it won't be fail, and that it will revive true oldschool shooters as a genre and give a break for the continued stream of popamole shit that infected the genre since CoD2.

But probably neither of them will happen...

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with remaking this type of game. Sometimes you just want to blast stuff in a fast-paced, twitch shooter. Where your only goals are to stay alive, see what the next level and batch of enemies look like. No 'serious biz', regenerating health, cut-scenes and scripts out the ying yang. Just some mindless fun. I don't think they make them like that anymore. I can only think of maybe Painkiller or Serious Sam 3 (which I haven't tried yet). There's got to be a few others but I don't know what they are.

deuxhero

Arcane
This looks like Wolfenstein. Is it the same thing actually, I wonder?

Apparently it was meant to be Wolf 3D 2 at some point in development, hence the vaguely Nazi guards and MP40s. Don't remember why they changed it, but I think they were going to use the classic plot to any game that involves Nazis after Hitler dies: Clone Hitler.

Wonder if this remake will include the female guards that were axed for memory cost purposes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is probably the last game I'd expect to get remade... especially since I have to chime in what has been said already: It wasn't that great.

It did a lot of cool things that other shooters back then had never tried before, but the engine was obsolete by the time RoTT was released.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
:necro:

17 Minutes of Rise of the Triad multiplayer gameplay. I'll embed the youtube link to avoid linking to RockPaperSocialJusticeShotgun

DeepOcean

Arcane
17 Minutes of Rise of the Triad multiplayer gameplay. I'll embed the youtube link to avoid linking to RockPaperSocialJusticeShotgun
You did good, Rock Paper Social Justice League is becoming very annoying lately, I used to used them for news but I don't even want to give a view to them anymore.

Multi-headed Cow

Wish they'd stop showing multiplayer and show singleplayer. Also caused me physical pain how much the guy playing was standing still, and he wasn't even TRYING to strafe jump for extra speed, what the fuck.

(also i never get sick of the apogee logo and fanfare. even this x-treem version of it. i have played too goddamn many apogee games, that company logo gives me an erection like no other. yes it even beats the valve one)

Destroid

Arcane
Wish they'd stop showing multiplayer and show singleplayer. Also caused me physical pain how much the guy playing was standing still, and he wasn't even TRYING to strafe jump for extra speed, what the fuck.

(also i never get sick of the apogee logo and fanfare. even this x-treem version of it. i have played too goddamn many apogee games, that company logo gives me an erection like no other. yes it even beats the valve one)

Strafe jumping might not do anything under their physics model.

Multi-headed Cow

I realize that, but in a fast paced arena shooter it drives me crazy to see someone playing that isn't doing it. Even if it doesn't boost speed it'd be giving him a higher angle to shoot rockets down on enemies and make him a harder target.

Kahlis

Cipher
I realize that, but in a fast paced arena shooter it drives me crazy to see someone playing that isn't doing it. Even if it doesn't boost speed it'd be giving him a higher angle to shoot rockets down on enemies and make him a harder target.
Makes me think of Quake Live. There isn't a single moment where you'll not find me bunnyhopping like a lunatic through the map, but this friend of mine, he...stands still...while shooting! :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bro when I introduced a dude who played nothing but popamole to UT a few years back that's how he tried playing it. Standing still and trying to shoot.

Kahlis

Cipher
The best thing was when my friend couldn't into sniping in Team Fortress 2 because he disliked how you couldn't noscope in midair.

UserNamer

Cipher
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with remaking this type of game. Sometimes you just want to blast stuff in a fast-paced, twitch shooter. Where your only goals are to stay alive, see what the next level and batch of enemies look like. No 'serious biz', regenerating health, cut-scenes and scripts out the ying yang. Just some mindless fun. I don't think they make them like that anymore. I can only think of maybe Painkiller or Serious Sam 3 (which I haven't tried yet). There's got to be a few others but I don't know what they are.

Serious Sam 3 is a masterpiece in my opinion and in many ways superior to older stuff like doom, duke 3d, quake and so on (come at me). But it's actually not mindless if you play it on serious, It's far from it, most of the fights require actual effort.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Thanks for reminding me, one of the few modern games I have an interest in. I heard the beginning is a drag to suck the CoD players in but stays true to form. I'm sure many here remember playing it in co-op, me and a buddy got wasted on two sides of an office after hours and finished all of SS2 I think it was. Yelling at each other across a bunch of empty cubicles. Clearing beer bottles and wiping away the cigarette ashes and taking cabs home in the dark morning snow before the final boss showed up. Good times.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Bunnyhopping/Strafejumping actually makes you an easier target, unless the game's physics model allows you to change direction in midair, like some Q3 mods did.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyone notice the overall lack of hitscan weapons and that most of the guns seem to use projectiles that have different speeds and arcs of fire, thus requiring some actual skill to learn properly? :incline:

Kahlis

Cipher
Reminds me of an article by a Bioshock level designer who recreated Arcadia in Doom. He wrote on how part of the reason the game is so compelling is with attacks being overwhelmingly projectile-based, you're practically playing first-person asteroids. Non-regenerating health means your performance through each fight actually carries over with you through the level and so you feel compelled to actually play as well as possible in order to conserve resources. It's empowering in a way, since you actually have a chance at minimizing damage to your character through efficient shooting or movement rather than all of these hitscan pot-shots that can't really be avoided unless you have twitch reflexes or have simply memorized the location of all the enemies.

This sounds obvious as hell to everybody on here. But believe it or not, I actually know some younger people who prefer regenerating health because they don't like a constant reminder of their shitty play ability following them throughout the level. They actually want every encounter to unfold in the exact same way every time without consideration towards how you were doing earlier, because they get butthurt about potentially not having a "fair" chance like everybody else because they're so terrible at the game! These same people can't into Dwarf Fortress because rather than simply delving into a quickstart guide and looking things up on the wiki as they might present themselves in the game, they grasp frantically for some achievement or cookie-cutter build strategy as reassurance that they're going about the one and only "right" way to play the game! I even knew a person who thought Fallout 1 was too open and without direction! Fallout 1!

:0/5::0/5::0/5::0/5:

Anyone notice the overall lack of hitscan weapons and that most of the guns seem to use projectiles that have different speeds and arcs of fire, thus requiring some actual skill to learn properly? :incline:
Hitscan, sneak attacks and hiding in the shadows are for cowards! Every encounter must develop into a meteoric 1-on-1 projectile dance of death that winds throughout the entire map, with Latin music and montage-friendly camera angles. Although I am quite fond of mid-range shotgun sniping in Quake Live.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom