Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Rise of the Triad game!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I read some stupid excuse about building stuff (that are made of a single piece\mesh in other properly designed games) in multiple parts to encourage modding or some really stupid excuse like that.

Even if it was true, what is the point of sacrificing performance so much for the modding scene of a minor, indie game? Did they expect the game to become the next quake or doom? Whatever
It doesn't even make modding the game easier. In fact, it makes it harder. What sounds easier to you: put down 1 tower model and then add a few props for detail, or build a tower out of 20 Lego bricks by hand, sorting through all the individual meshes included until you've learned what goes where, and then add detail?

retardation

Learned
Read between the lines - they did that in order to shorten the time needed to finish the game (for example, reusing and combining the pieces instead of creating entirely new architecture parts). However, they don't want to optimize the game by manually combining the smaller meshes into the larger ones. They want players to do it, in the level editor when it's released. Hence the "modding friendly" talk.

UserNamer

Cipher
in other words, pure shovelware. Yet I have the impression too many people out there are praising the game because you move fast and it's "hard"

dunno lah

Arcane
Haven't looked at this till right now. Apparently, quite a few updates have been made, like gameplay tweaks, new weapon, new maps and quicksave function. Wish I could play it though.(My PC is at 2006-level performance). Any codexers out there who hated this, could you give it another whirl and see if it's better now?

Forgot this too,

:necro:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I plan to really play it now that it has quicksaves. You have to give them a hand for fixing what they said they would fix and then putting it on sale for $3 not long after.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Unfortunately it still feels like a UDK game in the extreme. Movement is so jagged and I still get bizarre framedrops on a 7870.

Bring on Wrack imho. Moving in the Wrack engine feels just like zDoom or Quake 3, and it's great even though I don't find the rest of the game that vibrant so far.

otsego

Cipher
Anyone think this is worth the $3?

It was worth the retail price. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite its glaring flaws.

I think I've said earlier in this thread that it's got enough ROTT in it to please a fan despite said flaws.
And the soundtrack... good stuff.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah probably not. It's too flawed and annoying to really play.

If you're super forgiving and dying for an old school experience it will give it to you, however. Not many super forgiving folks on the Codex however.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I haven't been following the game really, so I can't appreciate the minutiae, but the patch released today sounds like they've fixed a lot of things. What are the core complaints with the game?

1.4 Patch Notes said:
Rise of the Triad v1.4 & the DOOMSTICK are now LIVE!
It’s FINALLY Here!

Rise of the Triad v1.4 featuring the DOOMSTICK!

We’ve been hard at work thanks to all the fan feedback, requests and our own insane ideas! And now we're proud to release ROTT 2013 v1.4! This update not only includes a ton of new changes, tweaks, optimizations, features, cheats and achievements - but also includes a brand new weapon. The DOOMSTICK! A semi-automatic Ludicrous shotgun from Hell!

1.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Rise of the Triad - Version 1.4 - DOOMSTICK Trailer
Views: 61
ROTT v1.4 is here and with it comes the DOOMSTICK and 6 new multiplayer maps! GET LUDICROUS NOW! http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/217140/

BUT WE'RE NOT DONE. This update also includes 6 new community maps bringing the grand total of maps in the game to 21! BLACKJACK, BABY!

What are you waiting for? Get in there, and get Ludicrous!

Changelog (Subject to change)

* DOOMSTICK shotgun added to single player campaign and multiplayer maps
-Pickup VOs added for all HUNT team members

* 6 new community maps added to base game
- Danger Canyon (DM)
- Spry (DM)
- Tepidus (DM/TDM)
- Templus (DM/TDM/CTF)
- Virgus (DM/TDM)
- The RoTTest Yard (DM)

* New and optimized particle effects added for all weapons and explosions
- Pistols
- MP40
- Bazooka
- D.R.U.N.K Missile
- Firebomb
- Flamewall
- Heatseeker
- Splitmissile
- Dark Staff
- Excalibat
- DOOMStick

* New and optimized blood effects added (Ludicrous gibs unchanged)
* Online single player campaign saves will now be cached for use in offline mode
* PhysX now OFF by default
* “Enable PhysX” setting in launcher now stays activated when you select “accept settings”. (derp)
* Clicking “Restart Checkpoint” before the first checkpoint of the level no longer respawns the player with only a pistol.
* Pressing your quickload button while in a loading screen will no longer yield a constant loop of loading .
* Pressing quicksave after pressing resume game, in the main menu, then loading said save while in game, no longer causes the map name to be replaced with garbage.
* Quicksaving on any of the secret levels no longer breaks the level. Quicksaving is disabled on all secret levels.
* (Lo Wang’s) multiplayer one-liners on health and weapon pickups no longer overlap
* The god mode pickup no longer plays the entire singleplayer pickup sound in multiplayer.
* The new Community Maps from 1.3 and 1.4 are now supported by the LDK Dedicated Server tool.
* Big John now has multiplayer VOs (You’re welcome)
* Lo Wang’s mercury mode duration has been fixed.
* Trying to log in with a non-existing account no longer gives the wrong error message
* Error message upon version mistmatch has now been corrected.
* No longer possible to break the kill statistics.
* Armor is no longer disappearing (visually) from HUD when reloading a checkpoint.
* Entering a secret exit will now unlock 100% completion achievement.
* Coin counter added to ESC menu in SP
* Steppin' Razer Achievement kill count increased to 50
* Fixed posthumous firebomb kills now register properly
* Fixed achievements
* Numerous numerous Quick save fixes
* Added 'Ding' + 1995 VO sound when player gets 100% on a level (Best feature)
* Removed 17 achievements (they weren't good ones)
-Yolo Swag JK LOL
-You're Amason
-The Feiner Things
-Got Head?
-Fast Food
-Bullet Time I-IV
-The LAW I-IV
-No Payne I-IV
* Added 3 new achievements
- Knife Party
- This is My Doomstick!
- Shop Smart, Shop S Mart
- The game now has 95 working achievements!

*Added 2 new cheats
-BOOMSHAKALAKA (Spawns the doomstick)
-ImGangsta (Toggles gangsta mode)

* All community maps now have the [CM] tag
* Muzzleflash work for the second (left) pistol when dual wielding.
* Fixed El Oscuro phase 2 ragdoll in rare occasions
* E2L5: Quickloading- and Saving no longer breaks Sebastian Krist Boss Battle
* Balistikraft no longer becomes invulnerable to traps after quickload
* Armor/ health % / weapons and level stats are now saved at 3rd checkpoint after starting to play through a map from 2nd checkpoint from overworld

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I really tried to like it, but it was brought down by the engine for me. The performance was flaky as fuck, which for a twitch shooter of this type rendered it basically unplayable.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So pacing, level design, etc were fine it was the performance?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So pacing, level design, etc were fine it was the performance?

Roughly speaking, yes. The game did not feel fluid and fast, even on low settings, which is a killer for this style of old school FPS. If they improved all that then it could be decent.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I think the game itself would be alright if they just sorted the issues out. I haven't actually played since it came out, so maybe they already have, but it was a total mess at release. I had to play it on low and even then it wasn't playable. I remember I struggled to aim accurately due to the poor performance and mouse smoothing being enabled by default with no option to turn it off.

I'll download it sometime and try it on my new PC.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Say what you want, at least the studio head actually got into game development, while 5 or 6 years ago he was nothing but a humble modder with a big dream.

And unlike 99.9% of you cocksuckers, he actually goes for it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

What does that have to do with anything? :?
I'm just trying to act pompous. Now carry on, nothing to see here, you still got that copy of The Quest to play around with.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If DalekFlay doesn't like it chances are it's fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom