Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck it, I'm coming out: I actually liked DA2

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Befuddled Halfling said:
(Plato: 'you can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation').

Plato never wrote that.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
moraes said:
Befuddled Halfling said:
(Plato: 'you can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation').

Plato never wrote that.

Not only Plato never wrote that, but Plato did not understand the plays and was the original agent of the ultimate decline of western civilization

... concluding in dis thread, here and now, as I type. Plato is in every word.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Alexandros said:
Pros:

- Kirkwall was a fascinating place with an interesting backstory and various conflicting factions. Towards the end of the game I did feel as though my character was fighting for his town.

Ok. I can give you that one, easily. It's a decent reference.

There is some old history to the real world Kirkwall town off the northern coast of Scotland.

MCA
No surprises there. Afterall, the Greexandros thinks that Alpha Protocol is also a good game.

2q9e1ra.jpg

SoupNazi

Screw you Alexandros. I always liked you because you liked AP too like me, but now I can't take you seriously anymore. My ally is gone.

Achilles

Arcane
Sorry to disappoint you SoupNazi. I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me at some point :cry:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Alexandros said:
That's true. I wonder if there's something wrong with me.

No. :salute: Alpha Protocol 2 is worth Dungeon Siege 3 & 4.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
ghostdog said:
Fuck you all, you retarded faggots ! We may be bankrupt here in Greece but we have relatively good taste in games. Nobody I know liked that piece of shit.

:x

Alex, sorry , you had it coming. :M

Don't worry, Italy will follow soon.

kris

Arcane
Alexandros said:
Now then, for starters the story of Hawke was much more personal than the Warden's in DAO. That was the first thing that made me feel closer to the hero and his plight. You spend a lot of time in Kirkwall, so you get the chance to learn the place inside out, as well as it's people. Every single quest, whether it's part of the main story or not, paints a clear picture of Kirkwall as a place where there is conflict in every part of society. Injustice, fear and corruption are so widespreaded that you can really see the point of the Qunari leader when he wonders how anyone can live here.

Which I felt was totally detroyed by Hawke not being your character, but a uncaring bore that ran errands for people... Often for no real reason whatsoever, with no real motivation.

Personally I would say that caring about helping the city should be connected to interesting characters in it that you learned to know throughout the story.

spekkio

Arcane
Alexandros is one of the best trolls since Skyway.
Have to give him that... :salute:

Do you remember this "japanese games are worse than michael angello" thread?

:bro:

Topic: Who cares?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
kris said:
Alexandros said:
Now then, for starters the story of Hawke was much more personal than the Warden's in DAO. That was the first thing that made me feel closer to the hero and his plight. You spend a lot of time in Kirkwall, so you get the chance to learn the place inside out, as well as it's people. Every single quest, whether it's part of the main story or not, paints a clear picture of Kirkwall as a place where there is conflict in every part of society. Injustice, fear and corruption are so widespreaded that you can really see the point of the Qunari leader when he wonders how anyone can live here.

Which I felt was totally detroyed by Hawke not being your character, but a uncaring bore that ran errands for people... Often for no real reason whatsoever, with no real motivation.

Personally I would say that caring about helping the city should be connected to interesting characters in it that you learned to know throughout the story.

This. Some origins in DAO were quite personal if cliche but Hawke was like charcter from B... No F class movie, acted all the way acording to Geydar moronic scenario, even storyfag like myself coudnot larp him into existence. You betryed the memory of Megas Alexandros and Holy (Codexian) Ortodoxy. αἱρετικός ανάθεμα :decline: :x

Serious_Business said:
moraes said:
Befuddled Halfling said:

Plato never wrote that.

Not only Plato never wrote that, but Plato did not understand the plays and was the original agent of the ultimate decline of western civilization

... concluding in dis thread, here and now, as I type. Plato is in every word.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

:thumbsup:

I really like the Greek philosophers, and I still agree with that.

On the other hand, Plato is often credited with inventing fascism (though he may have been a little optimisitic/arrogant in reckoning that philosophers would be running the show), so that might have some Codexian appeal:).

Oh, and re: Alexandros the OP:

FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!

Thank fuck that some of the other members of team 'out of the closest AP-was-okay-ers' have come out and disagreed with him. For a moment I was worried that the other Codexers who have recently come out and acknowleged that they like AP were all going to turn out to be a bunch of Bioware-romance-loving-DA2 fans. Kind of like when you start your first year at university, and meet a new group that you're having a good time hanging out with...and then suddenly one of them says casually 'that KKK rally sure was fun yesterday' as they all nod along.

MCA
But what's the difference between AP and DA2? You could swap the story and writing between the two and nobody would notice. Actually, DA2 might be even better. At least Hawke doesn't insert silly jokes or memes into every other sentence.

2q9e1ra.jpg

dextermorgan

Arcane
I think that Dragon Age 2 is an amazing game as it has given me hours upon hours of first grade entertainment via only a few clicks of a mouse. I really think this is the way the future games should follow.

Best of all, I didn't buy, download, install, or even play it. But watching the shitstorm around it unfold was the very definition of awesome.

a budda

Arbiter
you mean the shitstorm at bioforums surely
can't remember any here
and yes, it was truely (A)wesome

Achilles

Arcane
And the panning keeps on coming. I have to say I probably deserve it since I consider myself a hardcore gamer but I did enjoy DA2. Maybe the Codex will manage to exorcise whatever demon has me in it's grasp. :)

kris said:

Well it's not really about the characters, more about the city itself. It's a pretty interesting place and over the course of several (in-game) years you get to know it inside out. That breeds a sense of familiarity, at least it did in my case.

Having just completed another playthrough of The Witcher, it became clear that Bioware basically tried to replicate CD Projekt's formula. In some ways they succeded, but overall TW was the better game. Still, I can't help but feel that people are waaaaay too harsh on DA2.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alexandros said:
- I had no problem with the increased combat pace.

:x

There was no increased combat pace. Battles lasted the same, if not longer than DAO.

Achilles

Arcane
I was mainly referring to the speed of the attacks and the decreased cooldown timers. It's true that many battles lasted the same, but that's only because the 'wave' encounter design did not allow for the same amount of cheesy tactics like DAO. It was often the case in Origins where you would see a group of baddies from afar and bombard them with all sorts of AOE spells, ending the battle swiftly.

Encounter deisgn in both DAO and DA2 was sadly sub-par.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alexandros said:
I was mainly referring to the speed of the attacks and the decreased cooldown timers. It's true that many battles lasted the same, but that's only because the 'wave' encounter design did not allow for the same amount of cheesy tactics like DAO. It was often the case in Origins where you would see a group of baddies from afar and bombard them with all sorts of AOE spells, ending the battle swiftly.

Encounter deisgn in both DAO and DA2 was sadly sub-par.

No, what you describe is exactly how trash mobs should be handled. Their only purpose is to let the player think his combat dick is 20 inches. Leave the more difficult battles for more unique enemy encounters.

Achilles

Arcane
I didn't see any sort of meaningful difference between trash mob handling in DAO or DA2. In one case you launch a fireball WMD on them, in the other you chop them to bits within seconds. There was no increase in difficulty between the two games when it comes to trash mobs.

When it comes to tougher fights, though, DA2's battles can be concluded much faster. At least that was my impression from the time I spent playing the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom