Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2

Destroid

Arcane
Is 10 hours really that bad for a shooter? Deus Ex took me 19.5 hours excluding reloads (so probably 30 hours or so all up) so 10-15 hours doesn't seem to bad for a game with big multiplayer.

Project: Eternity
From what I've played of Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, as well as Far Cry 2: The *only* good thing the Crytek team CAN do is "fucking pretty graphics." That's the only reason I ever beat those games - because they were OH MY GOD SO BEAUTIFUL. So "Crysis 2 has worse graphics" merely means to me "Crysis 2 fucking sucks."

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROSA LOLOLL AT PCTARDS WHO CANT HANDLE CHECKPOINTS

BROS LOOLOOL HIT ENTER AND SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENS IF NOT RELOAD RIGHT AWAY LOLLOLOL NEWFAGS

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLOL PC MOUTHBREATHERS ARE CRYING ABOUT THE GRAPHICS TOO LOLOLOLL

BROS CHECK THE TOILET YOU'RE BRIANS ARE MISSING THEY MIGHT BE IN THERE

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
malko_sundervere said:
From what I've played of Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, as well as Far Cry 2: The *only* good thing the Crytek team CAN do is "fucking pretty graphics." That's the only reason I ever beat those games - because they were OH MY GOD SO BEAUTIFUL. So "Crysis 2 has worse graphics" merely means to me "Crysis 2 fucking sucks."

Far Cry 2 wasn't made by Crytek.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO FACTS ARENT RELEVENT IN A DISCUSSION ABOUT HOW CONSOLEFAG SHIT IS FAGGY

Project: Eternity
ScottishMartialArts said:
malko_sundervere said:

Far Cry 2 wasn't made by Crytek.
Shit, really?
Damn. My mistake then. I apologize for my flagrant violation of sticking to the truth. I just new Far Cry itself was a Crytek game, so I assumed the same of its sequel.
To be honest, I actually kind of liked Far Cry 2 - in a "well, it's different" way, at least. My favorite part about it, I think, was probably being yelled at in just, these... HORRIBLY done "African" accents at breakneck speed, in the same monotone voice. Anyway:
Then my point is actually strengthened, because Far Cry 2 had a few merits, whereas Crysis and Warhead I still believe to be games that relied solely on looking nice. Has Crysis 2 done something new, gameplay wise, that makes it a super great game, without its predecessors' need for graphics whoring-itself-out?

Gord

Arcane
Isn't that the business model for studios that produce their own engine?
Make a game that's just a mediocre FPS but looking great (i.e. a tech demo with the benifit of earning some money) and then sell the engine?

FWIW, CryEngine3 may be able to scale better than CryEngine2, even if it's looking worse at maximum details.
Especially if you are targeting console market this is probably a killer argument.

I can understand the disappointment of the PC crowd here, though. On the other hand, had they pulled of the same thing as with Crysis 1 there would probably be a lot of butthurt because not even dual GTX590 in SLI would put out much more than 35 FPS at max settings.

malko_sundervere said:
To be honest, I actually kind of liked Far Cry 2 - in a "well, it's different" way, at least. My favorite part about it, I think, was probably being yelled at in just, these... HORRIBLY done "African" accents at breakneck speed, in the same monotone voice.

Sounds like great game right there bro.

Then my point is actually strengthened, because Far Cry 2 had a few merits, whereas Crysis and Warhead I still believe to be games that relied solely on looking nice.

And I think completely the opposite. In fact I consider Far Cry 2 to be one of the shittiest games I've ever played. Crysis and Warhead are both much more fun to me, in addition to having outstanding graphics. They actually have some focus and sense of progress at least. FC2 just has you doing the same shit over and over and over and over..

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
LordDenton said:
You can't even save in this shitty game. You only get checkpoints this time.

Perhaps I missed this being mentioned earlier, all my slight interest in playing this is now gone.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've been playing the SP campaign for a couple of hours now.

Plot is either non-existent is akin to HL2's a.k.a. too cerebral and complex for puny people to understand. Only the cream of the crop elite PC gamers are capable of fully appreciating the subtleties throughout the game that explain everything if you put 99% of imagination into the mix. Yeah...

Performance-wise it's much better than Crysis 1, which is a surprise for a game released so many years later and claimed to be the pinnacle of GHRTAPHIX! Given that no developer ever optimizes their engines anymore and that my hardware hasn't magically overclocked itself by 200%, Given that the game runs at 60FPS at all times with graphics only one notch bellow ultra-max-glorious setting, the only logical conclusion is that the game has been severely mangled, graphics wise, to fit on consoles. Also, what's with those fucking awful facial textures and sharp angles? Am I playing an Aurora Engine game all over again? Because even DA2 doesn't have people with sharp foreheads and cheeks.

Yes, Jaesun, there's no quicksave/quickload. Checkpoints ala Farcry are back and this is completely unacceptable in any games for me. Sometimes I just have to stop playing you know? I can't keep going for another 30 minutes to reach a checkpoint so that I can finally shut the game down and so some other important shit or else I lose everything I have progressed in-game that far.

Level design is just as SoupNazi showed us. You travel through a narrow corridor into a big "open" area and you proceed to take down everyone while in stealth mode again and again and again. In Crysis 2 you press E and Mouse1 and something awesome happens! All the time!! You can approach targets from different positions though, like balconies or other elevated areas. But you there are no alternative paths and shit. You're in a big ass city and every street is blocked by debris except the ones that lead to your next objective.

Shitty game is shitty.

Ermm

Erudite
Multidirectional said:
malko_sundervere said:
To be honest, I actually kind of liked Far Cry 2 - in a "well, it's different" way, at least. My favorite part about it, I think, was probably being yelled at in just, these... HORRIBLY done "African" accents at breakneck speed, in the same monotone voice.

Then my point is actually strengthened, because Far Cry 2 had a few merits, whereas Crysis and Warhead I still believe to be games that relied solely on looking nice.

And I think completely the opposite. In fact I consider Far Cry 2 to be one of the shittiest games I've ever played. Crysis and Warhead are both much more fun to me, in addition to having outstanding graphics. They actually have some focus and sense of progress at least. FC2 just has you doing the same shit over and over and over and over..

wut? In Far Cry 2 you have to complete missions to even unlock weapons, no HUD, interesting diamond hunting, tons of safehouses, and weapons were all fun to use. And plot a bit further in the game is actually pretty good. Also, the villain of the game is actually an interesting one.
I almost completed Crysis (but my Windows at that time needed unexpected reinstall) and it was getting stale after a while. Only thing that progressed was a dumb story.

Rasputin said:
wut? In Far Cry 2 you have to complete missions to even unlock weapons

You mean, complete the same few missions over and over and over again? All the while fighting through the same respawning checkpoints over and over and over again? It's not like you had all the best weapons from the get go in Crysis too, right? Every game requires you to progress through it to get new weapons.

interesting diamond hunting

Didn't really find that interesting. Nor bad, it was just there.

tons of safehouses

Who gives a fuck about safehouses? What, there's something to do in them?

and weapons were all fun to use.

Maybe they were, but enemies were not fun to fight anyway, not after respawning a thousand times at least.

And plot a bit further in the game is actually pretty good

Again, who gives a fuck? A plot is important in FPS all of the sudden?

Ermm

Erudite
[quote="Multidirectional"

Again, who gives a fuck? A plot is important in FPS all of the sudden?[/quote]

No, but comparing Crysis and Far Cry 2 plot is like comparing night and day, so Far Cry 2 gets some bonus points.
And I forgot to mention than in Far Cry 2 there are some C&C.

So what, if it's better than plot of Crysis it's actually good now? I don't recall anything impressive about FC2 plot either. Of course, I didn't have patience to finish the game because I was so bored by the actual gameplay.
To me, the only gaming genre where the plot matters is RPG. Don't really care about that in other genres. Of course, if a plot is engaging it's a welcome bonus, but it doesn't really matter when evaluating the actual game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Rasputin said:
Multidirectional said:
malko_sundervere said:

wut? In Far Cry 2 you have to complete missions to even unlock weapons, no HUD, interesting diamond hunting, tons of safehouses, and weapons were all fun to use. And plot a bit further in the game is actually pretty good. Also, the villain of the game is actually an interesting one.
I almost completed Crysis (but my Windows at that time needed unexpected reinstall) and it was getting stale after a while. Only thing that progressed was a dumb story.
The gamebreaker for me was that every enemy is a bullet sponge even at normal difficulty. And then they respawn when you come back.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Plot is either non-existent is akin to HL2's a.k.a. too cerebral and complex for puny people to understand. Only the cream of the crop elite PC gamers are capable of fully appreciating the subtleties throughout the game that explain everything if you put 99% of imagination into the mix. Yeah...

Crysis 2 is about drunk latino dude assimilating with cybernegro, becoming the Prophet of the new, superhuman race.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Non-lethal challenge!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom