Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2

a budda

Arbiter
yes, i also prefer my sex with xt hercules 2x5,25fdd and look down on fancy vga fags

ortucis

Prophet
So I was going to give this a miss but with no other FPS to play I decided to get Crysis 2 today. Installed, launched and was stunned at the fact that I can run this game at Very High on 1920x1080 res on my age old shitty rig.. well, my machine spec:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
RAM 6GB DDR 800 Mhz Dual Channel
9800GTX+ 512 MB

I wasn't sure I would be able to run this game at even Medium but the game selected High be default and I selected Very High with only minor frame drops. Overall the game looks great (esp. after sitting through Homefront) and I am surprised at Call of Juarez like cover system along with whole player body being visible. The action so far has been great as well.

I hated Crysis and Farcry. The story in Crysis 2 is kinda stupid as well along with terrible voice acting (feels forced, or maybe it's just the dialogues). But the action is good, so are the visuals. The only thing bugging me is the small levels. I mentioned Homefront before and even it had huge levels in comparison to what I have seen so far in Crysis2. Seems like I can sprint half way accross the map in Crysis 2 in one breath.

Playing on veteran I am just clocking in and out while running straight at enemies guns blazing while they pretend to be all "AI" and take cover and shit. Kinda funny how I am right in their face shooting them down before they can play slow-ass animation of taking cover (or whatever) most of the time. Also, wtf is with them nading my last known location over and over again?

baronjohn

Cipher
I uninstalled it... not sure how far in. I think I was in Wall St. Ok,

Boring, banal, shit.

MCA
What are the multiplayer game modes? Is there Power Struggle? Are there as large maps as in the original? Vehicles? Optional weapon attachments? Are there game mechanics that promote team play?

Exmit

Scholar
I had more fun with Portal 2 than Crysis 2 , Valves source is much better optimised and graphics look as good to me as Crysis 2.

Waiting on episode 3 now, don't let down Valve.

ortucis

Prophet
Exmit said:
I had more fun with Portal 2 than Crysis 2 , Valves source is much better optimised and graphics look as good to me as Crysis 2.

You cannot be serious. :retarded:

EDIT: One level in Crysis has probably more interaction with environment than any game Valve has created in this life. From turning laptops on and off, to breaking smallest of light sources realistically, so far I have seen it all (and yes, I went around hitting everything I could the first time I loaded the map).

I know this has nothing to do with graphics quality but interaction with environment is something Valve never bothers with. Even Prey demo had more fucking interaction with environment than HL2+Episodes combined.

Exmit

Scholar
ortucis said:
Exmit said:

EDIT: One level in Crysis has probably more interaction with environment than any game Valve has created in this life. From turning laptops on and off, to breaking smallest of light sources realistically, so far I have seen it all (and yes, I went around hitting everything I could the first time I loaded the map).

I know this has nothing to do with graphics quality but interaction with environment is something Valve never bothers with. Even Prey demo had more fucking interaction with environment than HL2+Episodes combined.

Redding is teh hard eh?

I said i had more fun with Portal 2 than Crysis, didn't say a word about interaction.

fun can be just a personal feeling, but that's how i feel about Crysis 2 , it's just banal shit boring.

ortucis

Prophet
Sceptic said:
ortucis said:
TBH that was my reaction to your post ("Far Cry sucks by Crysis 2 is great!!!")

For ME it did. Crysis and Farcry were the shitiest games I have ever played in a long time back then.

Good graphics though. Fanboys almost equal to Valve's level.

Exmit said:
Redding is teh hard eh?

Apparently it is.. :roll:

Exmit said:
Valves source is much better optimised and graphics look as good to me as Crysis 2.

I was commenting on your "looks as good" part. The (EDITED) interaction bit was posted only as a comment on the banal shit dead worlds Valve manages to create game after game. No one was talking about gameplay.

Gerrard

Arcane
I found 2 bugs that are more infuriating than anything I found in NWN2.
Melee key stops working after dying. You need to restart the game to fix this.
Quitting the game makes you lose all/a fucking lot of the nano catalyst shit. And apparently this is a bug that was in the beta.

"Press F not to die"

Also, High/Very High/Extreme settings. If it's the lowest it should not be called "High".

Fucking Turks.

MCA
Yeah, it's a Turkish thing I'm sure. I bet their hotels also rate on a scale between 5 stars and above.

I'm looking at credits and not a single Turkish name apart from the two brothers who own the company.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Crysis 2 didn't really hit the right spot at all. Repeated mission objectives spelled by the suit voice is getting tiring, and the amount of ammo crate at convenient check points is indication that there's never really a threat of running low on ammo.

Hell, at some point when you were disarmed by the plot, you basically wake up next to a bunch of crates containing all weapons you need, rocket launchers, rifles, etc what have you.

And the stealth elements is poorly rewarded, with very unrealistic stealth detection. The moment you step into perimeter and de-cloak the radio immediately notifies the whole area that I'm inside. WTF?

People may say it's a city, but it's nothing more than a corridor painted by buildings that can't be entered. I can't, for example, recall a single section where I actually can fight enemies from the rooftops all the way to the street levels. There's a very linear path going from top, to bottom, then climbing up again, before loading an entirely new level to enter the building from rooftop access. The sandbox experience is lessened. I remember facing a road block of two APC. Looking below, I see the ocean which I could swim in, thinking I might bypass the block by just going below, I stumbled upon an invisible wall and no way up on the other side. Fuck. So the only option is to come back up and stealth past the two APC or blow them up with whatever resources was given to you.

Let's not even talk about it being 'exclusively' made for PC.

Press Enter to Start
Visor mode preventing me from interacting with the environment is an example of why the game isn't made for keyboards. They're just substituting the gamepad buttons with key-strokes.

It's illogical that I have to turn off Visor mode just to pick up some ammunition off crates. It's illogical that I can't sprint while in Visor mode and not being able to fire in Visor mode? Wtf? Why is that so? Is it a suit limitation that the user can't use it to paint target AND shoot at the same time?
And the cover lean? Gosh, I'm behind some huge ass truck and the game won't even let me lean because it's not a 'valid' leaning spot. Just give a the usual Q & E to lean left and right, thanks. Give this kind of cover system to console users if you want, but the PC deserved better.

tennishero

Novice
feels good man

the only reason (idiots) bought a PC for

fapping over crysis grafixs is now dead

why do morons buy high end PC's for

even the archaic keyboard and mouse method is bluetoothable on ps3

J_J_M

Educated
tennishero said:
the only reason (idiots) bought a PC for
The only reason (idiots) buy consoles is because they're brain dead gullible morons who can't afford anything better.
tennishero said:
why do morons buy high end PC's for
Probably because they can afford it, they want more out of their games, and because they realize consoles run on ancient 5 year old piece of shit hardware, and are going to for another 4 years.
tennishero said:
even the archaic keyboard and mouse method
Wait, since when did a better more practical control scheme become "archaic"?

The FPS genre was developed on PC. Mouse is the best 'pointer' device bar having an actual touchpad. It's ideal for pointing and shooting.

Gamepads are all-around mediocre jack-of-all-trades controllers. Every game no matter what genre or style has to be crammed down for the simplistic console controls with their small number of buttons. The analog sticks are inaccurate as shit, which is why they put in retard-helpers like auto-aims, slowed down camera movement, 180 turn insta-buttons in console FPSs. There is no other way you could play these games on a device that was originally designed for fucking Mario Bros platformers in the 80's.

Just as we have seen in cross-platform online games (Shadowrun), console kiddies get their asses handed to them against PC Master Race®. :smug:
tennishero said:
is bluetoothable on ps3
Which no game utilizes, and which no consoletard is intelligent enough to use. Besides, what the hell is the point in making a handicapped PC a step closer to PC when you could just take the real thing? :smug:

Gerrard said:
Also, High/Very High/Extreme settings. If it's the lowest it should not be called "High".

Fucking Turks.

If Crysis 2 actually looked as good or better than Crysis 1 then I wouldn't have a problem with this. Crysis 1's biggest problem was that the "low" for that game was already at the "high" of every other game, but everyone shit on the game because "very high" wasn't runnable along with 64x AA/AF even though just at normal settings it still surpassed almost every game (and was eminently playable).

baronjohn

Cipher
Overweight Manatee said:
Gerrard said:

Fucking Turks.

If Crysis 2 actually looked as good or better than Crysis 1 then I wouldn't have a problem with this. Crysis 1's biggest problem was that the "low" for that game was already at the "high" of every other game, but everyone shit on the game because "very high" wasn't runnable along with 64x AA/AF even though just at normal settings it still surpassed almost every game (and was eminently playable).
Ironically, Crysis 1 on low ran and looked better than any other engine at the time. First time I played it was on a nvidia 6600, which the UT3 games wouldn't even start with.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Baronjohn why do you lie?

UE3 games started with 6600 (that isn't even GT) without any problems. They just ran badly.

baronjohn

Cipher
Oh yeah, they started, but it was a slideshow on even the lowest of low settings that made the games look worse than Quake 2. At least on my good old Celeron D :salute:

MetalCraze

Arcane
So they've started after all?

GoW, ME and UT3 certainly didn't look like Quake 2 on my old Athlon 2500+ and 6600 256 MBs. They were barely playable yes. But definitely not a slideshow on minimum.

Gerrard

Arcane
First Crysis looked like shit on low, don't lie to yourself. I know because the first time I played I played on low with a few options on medium.

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
So they've started after all?

GoW, ME and UT3 certainly didn't look like Quake 2 on my old Athlon 2500+ and 6600 256 MBs. They were barely playable yes. But definitely not a slideshow on minimum.
They did on mine. Very low-res textures that made everything look like shit with maybe 10 fps when nothing was happening and 2-3 fps when there was combat. I base this on BioCock only however. Your CPU was probably a lot better than mine.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioshock uses Unreal Engine 2.5 btw (and it ran pretty OK'ish, as in ~30 fps, on my old system on medium I think)

Gerrard said:
First Crysis looked like shit on low, don't lie to yourself.

It certainly looked like shit with shaders set to low, I agree. But it did look pretty good on medium settings.

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Bioshock uses Unreal Engine 2.5 btw (and it ran pretty OK'ish, as in ~30 fps, on my old system on medium I think)
Well, the Celeron D was a single core, non-HT, tiny cache variant of the Pentium 4, which was itself a royally shitty CPU.

Maybe I should say that Crysis 1 ran and looked OK on a Celeron D when all the UT games (and similar engines) gave me slideshows

My point was that people kept whining that you needed a supercomputer to run Crysis, when in reality it scaled down to coffee machines much better than competing engines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom