Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2

Wulfstand

Prophet
Peter said:
Just completed it. I agree that the atmosphere is nice. Even with the nanosuit and your importance to the plot, you feel like a small pawn in this huge event. And the plot, while Hollywood shit, is well presented imo. Kept my interest throughout the game. Overall, I had a ton of fun with it (haters gonna hate).

Off to play Crysis 1 now.

Just play Warhead, Crysis 1 is fucking boring.

Suchy

Arcane
Ok, so I gave it a try yesterday, played for about an hour.

The bad:
- boring and uninspired corridor-like maps
- typical popamole gameplay with regenerating health, just waiting for enemies to stick their heads out of cover to snipe them out
- bad graphics
- retarded story yet again
- dumb AI (find a room with one exit and they all will come to you, just to be shot in the door frame)
- terrible FOV, everything looks like in constant zoom
- No advanced settings available in game, everything needs to be set up in .cfg files or with the help of external tool (I was able to fix the FOV, disable retarded blur on everything, and improve overall visual quality)

The good:
- native support for 3D gaming (runs perfectly smooth on my iZ3D with maxed settings, and the added depth made me stop noticing shitty textures and low poly models)
- atmosphere
- sound

Overall:
- uninstall.exe - same gameplay we've all seen a thousand times, there's nothing that would make me want to play it.

The funny thing is that despite all its blandness, the popamole combat looks better than what Deus Ex 3 has to offer. No sticky cover, you have a form of leaning, and it doesn't throw you out to third person every time you crouch behind something.

Ausir

Arcane
I asked Peter Watts and he replied:

Richard [Morgan] was constrained by the fact that various levels, monsters, and boss fights had been set in stone before he ever came on board; he wasn't entirely free to build his own narrative. Also, some scenes from the book are based on scenes from earlier iterations of the game that didn't make it to the final cut; those would be Richard's. Alcatraz's backstory, the tech reports and transcripts, all the third-party stuff and the retconning of, yes, plot holes, was mainly mine.

It would be nice if more developers involved writers earlier in the development process instead of having them write the story to tack onto a nearly ready game.

Peter

Arcane
The grafix whore within me is not satisfied with Crysis 1. While stuff like the water and lighting are fantastic, the AA on foliage is real shitty, even though I'm using 16AA and everything is on max settings. What is 16Q, btw? That lags like a motherfucker for me. Texture work on rocks especially seems a bit shoddy too.

The fuck? You can play Crysis on Very High AND 16xAA? Bastard. Anyway, 8xQ AA is usually better than plain 16x, you might try that one. What video card do you use, if I may inquire?

Peter

Arcane
GeForce GTX 460. Got a gaming rig about half a year ago.

Gord

Arcane
Crysis Tweaking Guide said:
Crysis uses a special rendering method for its foliage (grass, leaves, bushes), which means that regardless of your level of Antialiasing applied, these will remain quite jagged-looking.

Morgoth said:
Crysis 2 looks better than Crysis 1.

Perhaps, if you prefer overblown shader effects. I prefer more naturalistic look of Crysis 1. It also has better textures and character models. Water is also very obviously better looking in Crysis 1.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Multidirectional said:
Morgoth said:
Crysis 2 looks better than Crysis 1.

Perhaps, if you prefer overblown shader effects. I prefer more naturalistic look of Crysis 1. It also has better textures and character models. Water is also very obviously better looking in Crysis 1.
No. Crysis 1 was just trees everywhere, it got really boring very fast. No variety at all. Also the character models in C1 look worse and were badly animated. Water looks the same.

C1 was just a tech demo, while C2 is actually a game.

Morgoth said:
Also the character models in C1 look worse and were badly animated. Water looks the same.

Sorry but no, just no. Characters and water have a lot more detail in Crysis 1. I'm not one of those people who complain about graphics in console ports, even Call Of Duty games look good enough to me, but credit must be placed where it's due.
I launched Crysis 1 just after finishing Crysis 2 to make sure of these things. And I was made sure right away. I won't argue very hard if gameplay is better or not, if you prefer faster paced gameplay of Crysis 2, so be it. I'm fine with slow pace in Crysis 1 myself, scouting out enemy camps and taking my time to think of random cool shit I'll do when I'll get there. Also, I prefer the way suit powers are handled in Crysis 1, one power at a time approach suits me better. Being able to (somewhat) combine them in C2 didn't work for me because of how fast energy depleted. I was ducking behind cover and recharging a lot more in Crysis 2 which got boring very fast. Also, everyone complains about ending segment in Crysis 1. I found ending fights in Crysis 2 a lot more tedious. But yeah, I can see that Crysis 2 seems a lot more.. focused and directed, maybe that's why some people prefer it. Fun factor in Crysis 1 and Warhead is a lot more dependent on the way player chooses to approach them. Plus, being able to go prone and lean properly means a lot to me.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Finished it myself, and I want more. I want to see what happens with the whole Alcatraz/Prophet symbiote, I want to see fucking Psycho, and I want more of that goddamn music. Hope they'll do another Warhead with Crysis 2, I'd really like to play some more.
Can't be bothered to play the multiplayer, since I seem to suck at it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS OOLLOLLOL HERE ISA BIG SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT CONSOLEFAG SHIT DONTPLAY CONSOLEFAG PORTS LOLLOLOLL THIS TAKES MORE BRIAN THAN MOST HERE HAVE

a budda

Arbiter
ok, time for a shooter came and i tried this pre-realese build,
downloaded earlier but after a minute and noticing 3D is fucked up i just quit
so, now i thought maybe new drivers will do the job
great, now they say "some objects draw incorrectly"... and they do, the game is unplayable in 3D... there's a fuckton of 3D options but the game simply doesn't work with them, why do they put some console options in my pc biuld?
and where's the fucking gfx menu?
well, juzt came here to post a screenie that reminded me of glorious DOOM times...
hardcore gfx settings...
8f6f0e0fc4726780.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
Finished the game today.

In fact if one liked the first game, he may like the crysis 2 as well, since gameplay is exactly the same. there are differences in the powers of the suit, but more related to controls.

It is more acessible, obviously because of consoles, but it reminded me how they modified the jedi powers in jedi knight 2 compared to jedi knight 1. I remeber you have to select force jump in JK1 and press the "use force" key, while in JK2 you would automaticaly jump higher if you hold the jump button. That's how i felt playing crysis 2. Of course, I missed the "power" mode as an active power. They could maintain the passive, but maintain a possibility of activating it.

But now you can grab an enemy and toss him upwards just by holding mouse button 1, instead of changing the powers with mouse wheel. Stealth/cloak work the sameway as in the first. Even AI behave the same way, and since it's the way I play the most...

I hated the fact that using laser sight you can't use ironsight like in the first one. Oh, and there are some QTE, though they're so minimal and appear only in cutscenes, and the game waits a lot of time for you to press the keys, and I even doubt they were really timed.

Graphics-wise, I used maximum settings with that unofficial utility (set FOV to 75, since original game was too zoomed in)), and in fact it looked quite good. the disappointment is that it's a time where the engine gets an update that makes it look the same way it looked before, but with details that looked worse that the first one. Years ago, a new engine would be liht years ahead of it's predecessor, now, they look the same.

The details that were most noticeable are the water, witch has almost the same textures as the first game, but had no realtime reflection of gameworld objects. And pudles' reflexes were just a picture of the background. The same technique HL 2 did in 2004 for waxed floors. Crysis 1 reflexes were realtime. Oh, there are invisible walls.

Most of the textures were high resolution, and level detail is great anyway, the visual overal is really on par with the first game. So as long you're playing, it really looks nice. It really feels like a NY in ruins, and destruction effects are really well done, like the bridge falling. Models are not better or worse than in crysis one, they're on the same level. But there were some blurry textures too. I liked the background cars, they at least didn't look like those junk in other games.

About the plot, the plot holes didn't botter me, and in fact I don't think there was to much retconning. What bother's me is contradiction, and in fact there's not too much. Hole can be filled with imagination or just ignored. Contradiction, on the other hand are contrary facts and bothers me a lot, and I did not find to many of them.

But what really bothered me about the plot is how much a rip-off of halflife story line it is, and the feeling you're playing the first crysis all over again.

NY city is city 17 all over again, and hargreave is dr breen all over again. Tara would almost become an alyx, but you meet her only a few times. Gould is Eli vance. There's even tripods. Alcatraz is a silent protagonist, is caught in a word where he does what he is told to do, and has no clue on what's going on. In fact, the alien ship in crysis one, considered the worst part of that game, mirrors now Xen in HL1, the worst of that game. The evacuation of NY, on the other hand, felt like the evacuation of linghshan on the first game (which had an all new Iced enviroment that no one seems to remember, as they say it's all jungle).

The aliens, the Ceph, I liked how they looked different from the first game, but had some similarities. And the nanosuit being alien technology is cliché, but not so contradicting. The great contradiction was that koreans had suits in the first game, but they had an alien crash on their turf and its possible they could make suits themselves.

Last thoughts, I hope they bring back Psycho again. bik cutscenes had a bad quality, and I didn't like the way each level conected to the next. I'd like there would be no jumps between them. Oh, and in the ending, when the alien mothership explodes, NY is frozen too, which I missed from the first game, but since it exploded with all goodness from alcatraz, the sun melts it in one day.

The plot is just an excuse and they're not supposed to be magnificent, and the game can be fun if you're into FPS. But the things that came from consolization that made me rage were:

-No savegame (funny thing because I played the first crysis using only checkpoints because I thought it was like farcry, and only dicovered that I could quicksave by pressing f5 or f6 accidentally).
-The nanocatalys bug, which you would lose if you restarted the game).
-The first screen after installing the game being a brightness configuration that supposed I was using a TV instead of a monitor.
-Collectibles, though they're very few and easy to find.
-No advanced config mode.

baronjohn

Cipher
I just got done with the Lab Rat helicopter room clusterfuck and I feel like I've already filled my noise quota for the year.

God damn this game is LOUD. The sound, the music, the effects, the colors, the shadows, the enemies, the sun, the objects, the textures EVERYTHING IS JUST FUCKING LOUD!!! AND IN YOUR FACE!!! It's like Crysis 1 plus Call of Duty, on steroids, AND THEN TURNED UP TO 11!!!

Also I hate it how much work it is to sneak around. There's a magic distance beyond which enemies don't even respond to gunfire, but within radius, you can be exposed even just one pixel for a nanosecond and they'll all instantly be sure it was you and start firing in your direction. Fuck Crytek for making me fight through every damn encounter to make the game longer.

Suchy

Arcane
The funny thing is, if you cloak and sneak close to enemies, then hide somewhere where there's no chance you could be seen - enemies will still start screaming about you breaching the perimeter as soon as you disable cloak.

Also it seems they managed to streamline the streamlining.
Hold F to look
Seriously, what the fuck...

Jaz

Educated
this game is like a bruckheimer movie - stupid as fuck but there's always something going on. and it's long.

a budda

Arbiter
ok, they're fucking joking, acquired a proper copy of the game as pre-realease was fucked in 3D

it DOESN"T FUCKING WORK in 3D!!!!!!!!!!1

seriously, what's wrong crytek, do you shit on PC now?

it even has a useless 3d options menu, which does what the nvidiia hardware does (on/off, depth)

but it's not "real" 3D, it looks shit, must be the same trick they do on consoles... draw one frame and moved it left-right and use a few planes for different stuff... all in all it looks like a 2D game only drawn 20 cms inside my monitor... thanks, i can move it back with my fucking own hands...

and why do they call it 3D? maybe consoleturds are happy, i'm a bit angry... cheating me in my own PC, fuck you crytek, you're just being assholes

and why the fuck can't they do like any other company (don't care or just check if it works), no, they have to invent thei'r own better way to tell pc fuck you... well, fuck you too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom