Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2

Multi-headed Cow

So multiplayer works with the not removed from inventory version if you bros have a burning desire for some CoD-like MP with floatier combat. Been playing a little. The SP isn't too bad (Maps are pretty linear, but they were in Crysis 1 for the most part too. There are alternate routes like sewers/rooftops/through buildings to sneak a bit) and the MP as I mentioned is kind of clunky CoD.

Three parrots out of five for the price. :M :M :M

I think that the multiplayer is pretty damned good, but then again I never bothered with Modern Combat or any other of those grimdark "WE ARE THE UNITED STATES VS COMMIE PIGS" style of "modern" shooters... except Bad Company 2.

Crysis 2 is good for what it is, despite the singleplayer story being derpier than Kingcomrade is while he's not taking Ritalin.

Multi-headed Cow

Stereotypical Villain said:
despite the singleplayer story being derpier than Kingcomrade is while he's not taking Ritalin.
That's definitely worth mentioning. Crysis 1 didn't really have much of a story, but 2 seems even stupider. It's impressive.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Still downloading this right now. Stupid shitty internet connection. I rather liked Crysis 1, so even if this is the consolized CoD-clone version I still have some hope for it.

Multi-headed Cow said:
despite the singleplayer story being derpier than Kingcomrade is while he's not taking Ritalin.
That's definitely worth mentioning. Crysis 1 didn't really have much of a story, but 2 seems even stupider. It's impressive.

And in the end that tool Alcatraz says: "They call me Prophet" kind of like the suit turned him into Lawrence Fishburn throughout the game. :lol: They also took the liberty of remaking the canon of the suit: Now it's a piece of alien tech created from stuff some 140 year old guy created from stuff which crashed down in Tungasta :lol: :lol: :lol: :M :lol: :lol: :lol:

How the fuck could the Koreans have nanosuits in Crysis 1 then, eh? PLOT HOLES. And now the suits are symbiotic. :lol:

Wow, I feel like my IQ dropped by merely trying to understand the damned story :retarded:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Multi-headed Cow said:

And in the end that tool Alcatraz says: "They call me Prophet" kind of like the suit turned him into Lawrence Fishburn throughout the game. :lol: They also took the liberty of remaking the canon of the suit: Now it's a piece of alien tech created from stuff some 140 year old guy created from stuff which crashed down in Tungasta :lol: :lol: :lol: :M :lol: :lol: :lol:

How the fuck could the Koreans have nanosuits in Crysis 1 then, eh? PLOT HOLES. And now the suits are symbiotic. :lol:

Wow, I feel like my IQ dropped by merely trying to understand the damned story :retarded:

About the prophet line.
You can hear Gould talk about how you have multible broken ribs, smashed organs and you are only alive becaus the suit is more or less merging with you growing into your wound's.

So chances are when you got hit by EMP before you "meet" with Hegrew it more or less fried a bunch of your brain and the only reason you where able to get back control was becaus you either.

1. Merged with Prophet
2 Prophet took over.

Any who it was a entertaining game and the suit powers are way better now then before.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's quite impressive how much shittier this one is than its crappy predecessor.

Nothing but linear corridors with shittons of terrible cutscenes, retarded QTEs

In fact for gamepads they had to dumb down aliens. Whereas in Crysis1 you were fighting fast flying ones so you had to be constantly on the move to not get killed - in this one the only difference between humans and aliens is that the latter ones need more bullets to die. Yes they are now exactly like humans gameplay-wise, walking on two feet. Even use ugly looking preplaced cover like humans. Obviously this was done so consoletards who can barely play shooters in two dimensions, let alone three would stand a chance.

And if that wasn't enough they dumbed down AI that was already mediocre at best. Whereas in Crysis1 they at least tried to run around you to not get shot - here they barely move, prefering to stay in one place even when you are stuffing them with bullets point blank like complete retards. Again so poor dumb consoletards will at least shoot them from time to time.

And graphics - game now looks barely better than CoDMW

Finally you have the retarded regen once again that ruins what's left.

Amazing.

Ermm

Erudite
Why does every ubertech grafix demo needs to be about aliens vs marines? Is this some kind of subliminal message that for making their ubergrafix, they use alien technology?

I kind of was pretty far in Crysis, but when I got to the alien spaceship, my PC unexpectedly needed a Windows reinstall, so I never bothered to play it again.

SoupNazi

There are QTEs in this game? That's funny I beat it and I didn't notice any "Quick Time Events". The original Crysis also had health regen so suck on that as well.

But the thing is that other than Skyway being Skyway (i.e. an idiot) about the different game aspects, he's right overall in that it's a much worse game than the original. While it's still a pretty fun FPS game (better than any CoD at least), it lacks so much of the advantages that the suit had and what made the original game fun. In the original game the world was clearly built for normal people, the levels were easily scalable without the suit. Which is what made the player feel great when they could jump on a rooftop and then smash their way in with their own fucking fists, killing everyone inside.

This is gone not only because of retarded level design that makes the suit feel more like a gimmick than an instrument of awesome - i.e. you constantly have to jump abnormally high to get further, the speed is no longer fast it's basically just a sprint, also lack of fists weapon - there is melee ala CoD i.e. press a button and smash your gun into the enemy, but it's retarded. But what's even worse is that even the destruction is gone. Now I don't think anybody expected New York itself to be in any way destructible but oh my god couldn't they have at least kept fucking trees? I was so pissed off when I fired a tank round into a tree and it didn't budge. Fucking retarded.

The AI is still pretty good on the highest difficulty (Skyway probably plays on Easy) and it can be fun outsmarting them in the "action bubbles" (the way levels in Crysis 2 work is just that - walk through a corridor, get into a bigger, open area, then corridor again, etc) but because you can't actually mess with them and do stupid shit like you could do in the original Crysis, it sort of sucks. Because there is no strength mod so for example you can't really toss burning explosive barrels into enemies, watch them collapse on the ground and then explode gloriously.

The aliens were "dumbed down" not because of console players but because everyone hated the aliens in the original and like some significant number of players apparently didn't even finish the damn game because of the aliens. The truth is that the original Crysis was fun to play with the human enemies that you could mess with, aliens turned it into a generic shooter.

And who cares about the story in this game, honestly if half the cutscenes weren't unskippable then I wouldn't have known what's it about at all. Who gives a fuck, this is Crysis.

I played the multiplayer demo and it's pretty fun to outsmart your enemies through clever use of the suit and what's even better is that they can do the same. I was surprisingly good at it too so I might go back to it somewhere down the line.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There are QTEs in this game? That's funny I beat it and I didn't notice any "Quick Time Events".

Shit like LMB, RMB, LMB, RMB, Space, F, Space, LMB to just crawl two meters forward - otherwise you fall into some shit is not QTE since when?

The original Crysis also had health regen so suck on that as well.
REALLY?! And I probably said it didn't!

The AI is still pretty good on the highest difficulty (Skyway probably plays on Easy) and it can be fun outsmarting them in the "action bubbles"

The AI in the game is extremely retarded. It just watches the only possible corridor from which you come and then shoots at you with everything it has. If engaging Cloak Mode which was made even more overpowered in Crysis 2 and then attacking stupid enemies from the rear is what you call "outsmarting" I can't imagine how you play games that actually have some kind of AI.

Much like Crysis 1 Crysis 2 is just that - engage cloak, regen health, kill enemies from the rear, engage cloak, regenerate health, kill enemies from the rear, engage cloak, regenerate health and so on so forth. Except with cloak mode lasting much longer now and AI not moving anywhere from within 5 meters it was told to stay in by the script the game is even more piss easy than ever before.

"Outsmarting" my ass

The aliens were "dumbed down" not because of console players but because everyone hated the aliens in the original and like some significant number of players apparently didn't even finish the damn game because of the aliens. The truth is that the original Crysis was fun to play with the human enemies that you could mess with, aliens turned it into a generic shooter.

Yes they hated aliens so much that you fight aliens once again, except this time they are slow as hell.

Destroid

Arcane
Rasputin said:
Why does every ubertech grafix demo needs to be about aliens vs marines? Is this some kind of subliminal message that for making their ubergrafix, they use alien technology?

I kind of was pretty far in Crysis, but when I got to the alien spaceship, my PC unexpectedly needed a Windows reinstall, so I never bothered to play it again.

I've often wondered this too. Is the USMC so ingrained in USA culture that it makes sense for every single hero in every shooter to be a marine? Is the USMC slipping cash to all the devs?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Actually, I've found a pretty fun way to play this game.

Originally I started on what equates to normal difficulty (second easiest) and got pretty bored with it pretty quickly just running and gunning.

So I set it to the hardest (post-human warrior or whatever) and restarted the campaign. Now, unarmoured 1 or 2 shots kill you, or 3 or 4 with amour up (armour mode is pretty much useless now - never use it). Enemies seem a bit faster and more intelligent also, but that might be an illusion.

I'm now playing it as a stealth game, utilising the environment much more and keeping cloak up as often as possible. Both my pistol and rifle are silenced and the assault rifle is set to single shot. I made crouch a toggle, and crouch move everywhere (which also allows cloak to stay up longer). Lots of silenced head shots and stealth kills. If you're spotted out in the open, it's pretty much game over.

Have to say, with the multiple paths and tactical options through the levels, it's pretty damn fun played this way.

Multi-headed Cow

Destroid said:
Is the USMC so ingrained in USA culture that it makes sense for every single hero in every shooter to be a marine?
Kinda, yeah.

FatCat

Educated
About as good as the first , AI is still very shitty pretty much what Skyway said + they some time do retarded tactics like charge you but before engaging you in melee turn around and run back.Sometimes AI can see you trough walls.Playing on post human warrior difficulty is annoying because everyone becomes bulletsponge , Veteran is most balanced one imo. Lack of graphical options is annoying as fuck , tough who am i to complain game runs great.

ortucis

Prophet
So is SP better and longer than Homefront's? I don't want to waste money on another shit SP after DA2 and Homefront.. esp. since on my connection I won't be getting it for MP.

FatCat said:
Lack of graphical options is annoying as fuck

Advanced settings tool. Used it to turn off SSAO, blur and shitty edge AA. Now it runs perfectly on my GTS250 and even looks a bit better I think. Still not as pretty as the first one, but I gotta admit it looks pretty damn impressive for a console game. Don't know what's this about linear levels, any fights that don't take place inside buildings provide pretty fair amount of freedom. I'm not far into the game though. AI is pretty decent too. It has its quirks but I find this true for any game that has open levels. Didn't really have that problem with them standing in one place, they are actually pretty good at pursuing me, sometimes even surprising me after I thought I lost them.
It's worse than Crysis 1, no doubt in my mind, but funny thing is it's still likely to be an incline for COD crowd and console shooters in general if they end up liking it.
One small yet very annoying thing.. Apparently consoles couldn't handle the option to turn off that idiotic suit voice. Now I have to hear that shit all the time. I don't even blame Crytek for wanting to make money and producing worse looking game with less control options. But why the fuck remove any customization first game had? Also, I wish it had a quicksave, checkpoint system only works for corridor shooter. It's fun to experiment with some crazy shit in this kind of game and checkpoint system discourages this.
One thing they certainly borrowed from COD is the spectacle. There are some pretty cool scenes involving the destruction of NYC. I just wish I could participate in that destruction myself instead of only witnessing it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I've been playing a bit Crysis 2, and I must say I'm very impressed. Technically abolutely outstanding, both graphics and sound and music, art direction miles better than the predecessor, and gameplay and level design feel very challenging and invite you to utilize all tools and tactics at your disposal. The level design is semi-linear, still allows you to approach bad guys in some different ways. I especially like sneaking upon some CELL guy and stealth kill him. Kicking cars is also fun. Opposed to some reviewers, I think the AI is one of the better ones. Overall it's much better than Crysis 1.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
FatCat said:
Playing on post human warrior difficulty is annoying because everyone becomes bulletsponge , Veteran is most balanced one imo. Lack of graphical options is annoying as fuck , tough who am i to complain game runs great.

Not if you shoot'em in the head, see my previous post. Human warrior + stealth kills + silenced headshots FTW.

As for graphic options, I downloaded a user made utility that lets you play around with the graphic options - can't remember where I got it, just google it. It just creates an autoexec.cfg file in the game's root directory.

Yes, it's much better optimised than the first game (had to be for consoles). Still looks pretty damn good maxed out. The lighting is particularly impressive.

A few more levels in and I'm having a blast playing this as I mentioned above. Crysis 2 is a better stealth game than any of the last few Splinter Cells.

tetsuo

Scholar
ortucis said:
So is SP better and longer than Homefront's? I don't want to waste money on another
shit SP after DA2 and Homefront.. esp. since on my connection I won't be getting it for MP.

Well considering that Homefront was total crap and the SP was ridiculous short...
yes its better and mutch longer. Im not really a fps player but i like the game so far.
I didnt really like crysis 1 or warhead (far cry was great imho) but this one somehow manages to entertain me. I heard its a little similiar to the latest cod games but i dunno i never got far in this games the setting and gameplay bores me to death.

FatCat

Educated
Morgoth said:
I've been playing a bit Crysis 2, and I must say I'm very impressed. Technically abolutely outstanding, both graphics and sound and music, art direction miles better than the predecessor
Can't say it's not better than Cry1 , but definitely not miles away.
Morgoth said:
and gameplay and level design feel very challenging and invite you to utilize all tools and tactics at your disposal. The level design is semi-linear, still allows you to approach bad guys in some different ways.
Yeah right go guns blazing with armor mode or cloak snipe cloak snipe
Morgoth said:
I especially like sneaking upon some CELL guy and stealth kill him. Kicking cars is also fun. Opposed to some reviewers, I think the AI is one of the better ones. Overall it's much better than Crysis 1.

Pointlessly kick cars and and do same booring stealth kills , while another enemy standing just few meters aways doesn't see you.

No way this game is better than Crysis 1 considering year it was made.

Multidirectional said:
FatCat said:
Lack of graphical options is annoying as fuck

Advanced settings tool.
Ačiu

AlaCarcuss said:
Crysis 2 is a better stealth game than any of the last few Splinter Cells.

"Last few" would involve Chaos Theory too, so no. And even Double Agent had its moments. I would agree if you only used "Conviction" in there though.

FatCat said:

Ooh, a fellow hitman. Well, prašom. By the way, it's "ačiū". :smug: Most hitmen can't spell for shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ortucis said:
So is SP better and longer than Homefront's? I don't want to waste money on another shit SP after DA2 and Homefront.. esp. since on my connection I won't be getting it for MP.

No. It's an absolutely linear corridor shooter with a very repetitive gameplay based around you constantly using cloak to kill braindead enemies - even more than in the predecessor.

Everything is consolized too. Take for example your Q/E leaning you see in your typical PC game
Here you need to find a sweet spot by the edge of the wall (which is pretty damn hard and extremely uncomfortable when you are being fired upon), then you need to hold RMB and move your mouse forward which isn't leaning at all but rather a turn around the corner which is disorienting. And to fire you need to hold LMB while holding RMB. For fuck's sake.

If a game that is more boring and slower than even CoDMW interests you - then go ahead. Crysis 2 is much worse than Crysis 1 where you at least had a more or less free approach to your objectives not a single possible corridor at all times.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You do know that all levels are unlocked in beta and you can start from whatever point you wish, right?

I guess we need a DLC pack with the game itself because "tutorial" section didn't end even when credits started rolling

So stuff your "you haven't played the game enough!!1" up your butt

Well if you actually saw everything it has to offer and still think it's not better than Homefront and more boring than CoD, with a "single corridor at ALL TIMES" then... Uh.. fuck it, I'm not edgy enough to even begin to describe this mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom