Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2

SoupNazi

ScottishMartialArts said:
On Crysis 2, does anyone else find the story completely incomprehensible? I'm about half way through the game, and I'm hard pressed to tell you what the fuck is going on. All i know is that there is an alien virus in Manhattan, there are mercenaries imposing martial law who for some reason don't like you, and that there are aliens who may or may not be related to the aliens of Crysis 1.
Not to sound like an apologist (the story is shit, no debate there) but I think the confusion is deliberate. It's all explained towards the end though including why CELL hates you / tries to capture you. The difference between the aliens in Manhattan and on that island from the original Crysis is also explained (somewhat). I think you're meant to feel just like some grunt who's thrown in the middle of something bigger than him without really understanding what's going on.

The story also heavily retcons Prophet's role in the original game which is almost hilariously unbeliavable.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Crysis 2 is a legendary AAA title in every respect. Engine, level design, gameplay design.

After wasting money on Homefront it erased the bitterness from my soul.

There's something liberating about ripping a heavy machine gun out of a car, and walking around with my armor upgrade, ripping apart soldiers who yell "HMG! HMG!" and "He's ... invincible!".

In the fog.

With Predator vision on.

I had to do precisely zero work to tweak the game. In fact, tweaking made things worse, and I went to predefined "Very high" setting.

Also, the Hans Zimmer score is excellent. When was the last time you remembered a music score from a videogame? I hum it. I want to play it in my car, to make every day seem epic.

Multi-headed Cow

Probably. I can play it pretty well with a GTS250, 3 ghz dual core, and 4 gigs of RAM.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS GAME IS TOTAL SHIT NOT WIRHT IT I HAVENT PLAYED THE GAME YET BUT IF I WIL I WILL PLAY IT FIVE TIMES IN A ROMWE

Multi-headed Cow

I am dishonoring my clan. Played maybe 3 hours of singleplayer and then got to rank 10 in multiplayer and haven't touched it since. Been playing a hefty chunk of Global Agenda lately.

tetsuo

Scholar
Unfortunately its not even worth to play the mp for free atm, its buggy as shit and plays like a bad cod clone with almost anyone cheating like there is no tomorrow,they dont even need a cheat programm and can just use some cvars in the autoexec ...

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Jaesun said:
Is it true the single player game is only 10.9 hours?

The singleplayer game feels pretty lengthy for a modern shooter, certainly the longest in my recent memory. 10 hours sounds about right, although 10 hours as in "actually 10 hours" as opposed to an 8-10 hour game that only takes 4-5 hours to finish.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ScottishMartialArts said:
Jaesun said:
Is it true the single player game is only 10.9 hours?

The singleplayer game feels pretty lengthy for a modern shooter, certainly the longest in my recent memory. 10 hours sounds about right, although 10 hours as in "actually 10 hours" as opposed to an 8-10 hour game that only takes 4-5 hours to finish.

I'm just trying to remember how long it was for the first Crysis. I vaguely remember it being fairly longer than 10 - 11 hours... I'm NOT a good FPS player, so typically I end up playing them longer than most (and tend to explore a lot, if we can explore).

Crysis 2 certainly didn't feel shorter than first one to me. Maybe even longer. But that may very well be due to lack of quicksave, which forces you to replay some lengthy sections every once in a while. I didn't really care for exploring in this one either, because I was rushing to get to the next checkpoint all the time. Really, lack of quicksave sucks, I remember I couldn't play Far Cry without quicksave cheat either. It was much harder for me than the first one though because of this. It being multiplatform and all, I was expecting the opposite.

LordDenton

Augur
You can't even save in this shitty game. You only get checkpoints this time. That's enough to keep anyone with more than two braincells away from it.

I liked the original Crysis, but this one is shit every way you look at it. Even the graphics. Yes the graphics are worse than its predecessor's since the Shitbox and PlayShit3 can't handle it.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Hardest difficulty is kicking my ass. Slowly maneuvering around the area, picking off soldiers one by one and the occasional frantic gunfight with one or two is good stuff, but the worst part is getting killed at the last moment before a checkpoint and having to do it all over again. :x

SoupNazi

"LordDenton"

I used to make up usernames like that when I was thirteen.

And yeah it felt fairly long. In fact even longer than the original campaign but Crysis had a lot of replay value in playing custom missions and just messing about in a sandbox.

LordDenton

Augur
SoupNazi said:
"LordDenton"

I used to make up usernames like that when I was thirteen.

What makes you think I'm not you when you were thirteen and found a chance to time travel to 2011. :smug:

LordDenton

Augur
anus_pounder said:
Hardest difficulty is kicking my ass. Slowly maneuvering around the area, picking off soldiers one by one and the occasional frantic gunfight with one or two is good stuff, but the worst part is getting killed at the last moment before a checkpoint and having to do it all over again. :x

That's why I don't even bother with games that lack save anywhere. No matter how good some people (usually console retards) say a game is, if it lacks save anywhere it's not going to be played.

LordDenton said:
I liked the original Crysis, but this one is shit every way you look at it. Even the graphics.

Everyone knows graphics are worse in this one and it has lower view distance, but let's not get carried away. It still looks pretty damn good even without all those high res textures and huge piles of polygons. Actually considering that they said consoles wouldn't even be able to handle first Crysis on medium settings, Crysis 2 is somewhat an achievement if it's true.
I just wish consoles would be capable of turning off that fucking annoying idiotic suit voice, goddamn I was so sick of it by the end of the game I wanted to kill someone. This maybe a small thing to some of you but stuff like that is capable of pissing me off to no end. There is no excuse whatsoever for them not to include that option.

Peter

Arcane
Gotten to the earthquake bridge near the beginning of the game (or so I hope) and, I gotta say, I'm enjoying it so far. I've not played the original Crysis, so it may well be that that game is better than this one, but I'm very much enjoying the Predator style stealth (though I do think that cloak is overpowered), and the game is simply gorgeous (again,Crysis 1 may have looked better, but I have no frame of reference). Playing on Veteran does seem a bit on the easy side though, so I'll probably crank the difficulty up the hardest difficulty (Superhuman or whatever).

However, comparing the level design to that of Deus Ex is a flat out lie. The more open areas do a good job of giving you a couple of different approaches, but they're still linear. And yeah, a large part of this game really is corridor shooting. I don't find that to necessarily be a problem, though. Not every game has to be Deus Ex, and Crysis 2 sure as hell isn't pretending to be.

JrK

Prophet
Why is everyone complaining about dumbed down graphics compared to 1? Even Skyway the self-styled "quallity" guy... Who cares if the textures are one unnoticable blip less sharp if it runs twice as good?!

Don't we play way more ugly games like Doom and Darklands and you know... appreciate them because gameplay > graphics?

genci88

Educated
JrK said:
appreciate them because gameplay > graphics?

But gameplay is shit too. They dumbed it down in order to please console mouthbreathers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom