Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes there is a single corridor at all times. Or are we taking Desu Ex grade of dumbfuckery with "ololo you can go to the left of the box or to the right of the box" as a non-linear free approach design in 2011?
Because you know CoDMW also had 100m x 100m areas which didn't make them any less of a scripted corridor.

FatCat

Educated
MetalCraze said:
No. It's an absolutely linear corridor shooter with a very repetitive gameplay based around you constantly using cloak to kill braindead enemies - even more than in the predecessor.
No it's not linear it is like traveling from one open map to another.Unless you mean lil parts of the game when you are in building. Who cares if it is repetitive , it isn't long enough to get bored.

MetalCraze said:
Everything is consolized too. Take for example your Q/E leaning you see in your typical PC game
Here you need to find a sweet spot by the edge of the wall (which is pretty damn hard and extremely uncomfortable when you are being fired upon), then you need to hold RMB and move your mouse forward which isn't leaning at all but rather a turn around the corner which is disorienting. And to fire you need to hold LMB while holding RMB. For fuck's sake.
Unless you have some sort of disability it work's fine.Tough of course q/e is better.I doubt it was made because of the consoles , but instead to make player feel more interaction with the game world.

MetalCraze said:
If a game that is more boring and slower than even CoDMW interests you - then go ahead. Crysis 2 is much worse than Crysis 1 where you at least had a more or less free approach to your objectives not a single possible corridor at all times.

Stop playing on easy and learn to jump and climb :P

FatCat said:
Tough of course q/e is better.I doubt it was made because of the consoles , but instead to make player feel more interaction with the game world.

No it's definitely made because of gamepads. Q/E leaning provides exactly more interaction with gameworld because you can lean anywhere, not just in few select places.

MetalCraze said:
Yes there is a single corridor at all times.

Whatever, I give up. Keep hallucinating all you want. Unless you are genuinely surprised there's less freedom of movement in a city than it is on tropical island. Oh no, where do these walls come from??

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Hang on a second, crysis 2 is so horrible skyway played through the entirety of a broke ass, janky as fuck beta with missing map triggers, textures, geometry and stu stu stuttery performance. AND he went through kotor 7 times...what a fucking trooper, what a BRO.

JrK

Prophet
My impressions so far:
- Normal graphics look like shit, HOLYBLOOMBATMAN and doesn't run that well on my pc.
- Get the advanced video settings thing and tweak it. Then it suddenly looks awesome and runs extremely well. I'm surprised by this... Crysis1 did far worse at uglier settings (I ran it at medium). But seriously, get the advanced settings program, otherwise you are stuck with motion blur that's over the top (and nausea inducing) and bloom rivaling Oblivion's mess. In my opinion performance > pretty graphics and I needs me some 60 fps.
- Hardest difficulty is fucking hard. Screw up stealth and you DIE. I'm currently stuck at... the second fight in the game. Where you have to infiltrate this camp. :salute:
- Cloak isn't a save-all button like it was in 1 either. You can and will be spotted if you use cloak in the open and not in conjunction with cover.
- No quicksave apparently. :x
- Mentioned lean function is pretty brilliant. I always hated Q/E (or in my case W/R) leaning because it is two keys better used for other stuff, like the many controls you have in these type of shooters. Holding right mouse (if you didn't put toggle ON) will "stick" you to cover, and the mouse can be used to control how far you stick out for side leaning. Much better imo than the "I sit behind a crate and bend my upper body to the side" leaning you get in stuff like STALKER. You can also POP OUT behind low walls by just holding right mouse (again toggle...). Games should have this kind of smart interaction, why is this only happening now? Makes me wonder how that BRINK button will work.
- Enemies seem to have 360 vision, I couldn't sneak behind someone without cloak. :?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
ortucis said:
So is SP better and longer than Homefront's? I don't want to waste money on another shit SP after DA2 and Homefront.. esp. since on my connection I won't be getting it for MP.

No. It's an absolutely linear corridor shooter with a very repetitive gameplay based around you constantly using cloak to kill braindead enemies - even more than in the predecessor.

Everything is consolized too. Take for example your Q/E leaning you see in your typical PC game
Here you need to find a sweet spot by the edge of the wall (which is pretty damn hard and extremely uncomfortable when you are being fired upon), then you need to hold RMB and move your mouse forward which isn't leaning at all but rather a turn around the corner which is disorienting. And to fire you need to hold LMB while holding RMB. For fuck's sake.

If a game that is more boring and slower than even CoDMW interests you - then go ahead. Crysis 2 is much worse than Crysis 1 where you at least had a more or less free approach to your objectives not a single possible corridor at all times.

Skyway, you should just post "My usual drivel..." in every thread. We'd know what you mean and your contribution to the codex would remain the same.

How the fuck could you call this a corridor shooter? Are we playing the same.... oh I see... we're not...

The levels are a series of connected open areas with multiple paths through each (Deus Ex style). You can go all guns blazing (not really an option on hardest difficulty), stealthily or some combination thereof. I've already replayed quite a few, and used different paths/tactics each time.

And fuck, you mention the cover mechanic - which was going to be the topic of my post. I was going to say something along the lines of - finally a cover/leaning mechanic that works well and is intuitive. For a start, you don't need to hold the right mouse button, you can set it to toggle. Just creep up to a wall, hit RMB to pop up and you can even press W to go higher - same goes with the lean - you can lean with RMB and then lean further if necessary. No fucking buttons to go into 'sticky' cover and again to 'unstick' yourself. I works and works well IMO.

The game is no classic FFS (it's just a fucking FPS after all), but the more focused approach seems to have helped. This is a better game than the first one. In fact the campaign is better (and about twice as long) as the last 3 CoD's and most other recent FPS I can recall (which you'll have trouble disagreeing with, because you hate them all).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Multidirectional said:
Used it to turn off SSAO, blur and shitty edge AA. Now it runs perfectly on my GTS250 and even looks a bit better I think.
Wait, it looks better with AA and SSAO turned OFF? :retarded:

How the hell did they do this?

Oh and thanks for the app. I absolutely wanted a way to turn off the shitty blur. Downloaded the game a few days ago but haven't had the time to try it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FatCat said:
No it's not linear it is like traveling from one open map to another
No it is linear. You always come from the same door and exit through the same door. Where is the non-linearity? The room you enter being a bigger one allowing you to kill all enemies from the right wall or the left wall?

Far Cry = non linear. Some maps are so open you can go around them and reach whatever point you wish apart from the hills artificially bloking some parts of the map.

Crysis 2 = linear. A long linear corridor with zero freedom of approach.
And yes I understand that in your next-gen world non-linearity is everything but moving totally on rails in half a meter wide ventilation system.

Unless you have some sort of disability it work's fine
No it doesn't. Q/E works fine. The shit where I need to play a minigame to just lean and only at pre-set places is retarded and completely unneeded.

.I doubt it was made because of the consoles , but instead to make player feel more interaction with the game world.
XBox360 gamepad has not enough buttons, that's why XBox360 shooters have no leaning.
There is nothing more interactive about it than pressing Q/E

Stop playing on easy and learn to jump and climb
And then I will open a world full of next-gen non-linearity made of climbing over the box instead of going 3 meters to the right of it.

fizzelopeguss said:
Hang on a second, crysis 2 is so horrible skyway played through the entirety of a broke ass, janky as fuck beta with missing map triggers, textures, geometry and stu stu stuttery performance. AND he went through kotor 7 times...what a fucking trooper, what a BRO.

For people with reading disabilities:

You do know that all levels are unlocked in beta and you can start from whatever point you wish, right?

I guess we need a DLC pack with the game itself because "tutorial" section didn't end even when credits started rolling

So stuff your "you haven't played the game enough!!1" up your butt

Except replace the bit in the last sentence with "you completed it it means you loved it!!1"

FatCat

Educated
MetalCraze said:
No it is linear. You always come from the same door and exit through the same door. Where is the non-linearity? The room you enter being a bigger one allowing you to kill all enemies from the right wall or the left wall?

MetalCraze said:
And then I will open a world full of next-gen non-linearity made of climbing over the box instead of going 3 meters to the right of it.

Actually yes , game space is mostly designed for up or down approaches not left and right.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Except replace the bit in the last sentence with "you completed it it means you loved it!!1"

I was actually taking the piss, but are you seriously telling us you actually DID complete that broken ass piece of shit leak.

SoupNazi

fizzelopeguss said:
I was actually taking the piss, but are you seriously telling us you actually DID complete that broken ass piece of shit leak.

I did. I took it as extra challenge. :thumbsup:

Also, I cbf arguing with Skyway (why did I even bother trying in the first place), but I'll just throw this out there:

DIAGRAM.jpg

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
i dunno, crysis 2 reminds me of older fps's with all the crate jumping and extra height to the levels.

I honestly thought the game was gonna be shit, i was wrong.

Sceptic said:
Wait, it looks better with AA and SSAO turned OFF? :retarded:

How the hell did they do this?

SSAO might not make it look worse, but it does kill lots of FPS for a negligible visual impact. Edge AA however is an extremely shitty invention that, in my experience, NEVER makes anything look better, only more blurry. It's sometimes actually called "blur AA". There is real AA in this game, so I don't even understand why they used edge AA in the first place. That shit is generally used in games that don't support real AA.

MetalCraze

Arcane
First maps in Far Cry were fully open-ended

But yeah SoupNazi - you nailed Crysis 2 very well. A linear corridor. Why were we arguing?

SoupNazi

They weren't. They were as much of a corridor as Crysis, except in some cases wider. You usually could bypass a camp altogether or attack it from behind etc, but you couldn't just climb over a hill and go in a completely different direction like you can in OFP/ArmA.

Crysis 2 has the same thing, except the open-ended areas are separated from each other by corridors.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
They weren't. They were as much of a corridor as Crysis, except in some cases wider. You usually could bypass a camp altogether or attack it from behind etc
And that already makes it a true free-approach.
(I clearly remember the island with 3 antennas - or something like that - being relatively fully open-ended - apart from a few blocking hills)

but you couldn't just climb over a hill and go in a completely different direction like you can in OFP/ArmA.
Why do you think I don't bring them into equation? Crytek games won't stand a chance when it comes to the question at hand. Bah even quite B-class polish Chrome has true free-approach.

Crysis 2 has the same thing, except the open-ended areas are separated from each other by corridors.

There are no open-ended areas in Crysis 2

Here let me help you understand what I mean

2nv8krd.jpg

SoupNazi

I get what you're saying but you're exaggerating as usual. Crysis 2 areas are about as big as some areas in Deus Ex and not "two meters left or right". One good example is the last level where once you exit the initial area you stumble into a large open-ended area with three objectives each on a different side and about sixty ways of approaching them including stealthy balancing on those alien spine-things.

Another one would be the earlier level with a church where again, you have two or three objectives in one area and you can approach them differently. It may look smaller / linear because of the buildings that separate the area from the rest of the game but in the end, it's about as big as some areas of the original Crysis. Far Cry is slightly bigger yes (no doubt about it, esp. the mission where you're weaponless is gigantic) but again, your second picture only really fits OFP, not Far Cry.

JrK

Prophet
Looks like checkpoints to me. Pretty frustrating on ballbusting-highest difficulty. You get caught with your pants down and BAM, four or five bullets in your ass and you are dead. DEAD I SAY.

Then you must construct additional pylons and so on...

This game has DO NOT ENOUGH ENERGY.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Um, I dunno how could you guys have any difficulty with it. Even the first Armor mode upgrade boosts nanogimmick's durability considerably.

Dicksmoker said:
Oh for fuck's sake. Did they bring that ridiculous autosaving back from Far Cry?

Yeah. However, quicksave worked in the leaked beta. It's not hard at all, anyway. There are almost none instakill monsters and snipers in the game, and you don't have to worry about armor and medkits.

AlaCarcuss said:
The levels are a series of connected open areas with multiple paths through each (Deus Ex style)

Not even remotely close, unless you are talking about Invisible War here. In DX you had a set goal without any forced action bubbles on the way (there were exceptions, of course).

AlaCarcuss said:
You can go all guns blazing (not really an option on hardest difficulty)

I have pretty average skills and still no problems with it. :?

finally a cover/leaning mechanic that works well and is intuitive.

No. For a simple reason that it works only with the objects that level designer labeled as "cover", just like your typical popamole GoW clone. Vietcong and MoH: Airborne did first person cover much better.

Anyway, it's their worst game by far. The AI has taken another nosedive, levels for the most part are linear and limited in scope, nanosuit is overpowered even without upgrades, forced cutscenes coupled with inane plot constantly interrupt the action, physics are scaled down and even graphics are uneven in quality.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Twinkle said:
Um, I dunno how could you guys have any difficulty with it. Even the first Armor mode upgrade boosts nanogimmick's durability considerably.

AlaCarcuss said:
The levels are a series of connected open areas with multiple paths through each (Deus Ex style)

Not even remotely close, unless you are talking about Invisible War here. In DX you had a set goal without any forced action bubbles on the way (there were exceptions, of course).

Seemed much the same to me. Sometimes multiple objectives in each area with multiple paths to each (involving different tactics) on maps of a similar size to DX. WTF is a forced action bubble?

Twinkle said:
AlaCarcuss said:
You can go all guns blazing (not really an option on hardest difficulty)

I have pretty average skills and still no problems with it. :?

Well, I must really suck then. On hardest difficulty I was going down with 1 or 2 shots and perhaps 4 or 5 with armour up. That's when I decided to play it as a stealth game. Never use armour any more (perhaps that's why). But if armour makes it that much easier, I don't think I'll bother. Also, the fucking aliens are scary at this level - if you miss with your first headshot, the fucking things are on you in a blink and kill you (me) with one swipe.

Twinkle said:
finally a cover/leaning mechanic that works well and is intuitive.

No. For a simple reason that it works only with the objects that level designer labeled as "cover", just like your typical popamole GoW clone. Vietcong and MoH: Airborne did first person cover much better.

Works pretty much on any wall or surface that looks like you should be able to popup or lean around, so makes sense.

Twinkle said:
Anyway, it's their worst game by far. The AI has taken another nosedive, levels for the most part are linear and limited in scope, nanosuit is overpowered even without upgrades, forced cutscenes coupled with inane plot constantly interrupt the action, physics are scaled down and even graphics are uneven in quality.

I disagree. I loved the first half of Far Cry (until the mutants ruined it). First half of Crysis was ok too, though not as good (as FC). As I mentioned in a previous post, the more focused approach taken here seems to me to have resulted in a better "game" (rather than just a tech demo).

What exactly do you (and skyway) mean by linear? Seems like we have different definitions. If I can replay a level several times taking different paths and using different tactics each time then the levels themselves are not linear. Of course, each level is connected by some sort of corridor/funnel so yes the game as a whole is linear.

Story/cut-scenes, as with all FPS, can be ignored. Graphics are fine and are well optimised. Not a lot to complain about here. I'm guessing I'm about half way through (I'm enjoying re-playing some levels), so it may indeed degenerate like crytek's previous games so we'll see.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Destroid said:
I've often wondered this too. Is the USMC so ingrained in USA culture that it makes sense for every single hero in every shooter to be a marine? Is the USMC slipping cash to all the devs?

Not really. The Marine Corps is actually a highly conventional force with the least special operations capabilities of the 4 main branches of service. The Marines simply don't do the kinds of missions video games and action movies show them doing. The VIP rescue mission that starts Crysis 2 would be a job for Delta or the SEALS, not Force Recon.

What the Marines do have is a strong sense of identity and esprit de corps. Every Marine is taught from the first day of boot camp to believe that he is an elite warrior and that he is the best, even if there isn't much evidence to merit those beliefs. Because that "We're Number 1" attitude is so strong, it bleeds off into American culture. Most Americans consequently think the Marines are an elite force, and thus Marines get cast as the heroes in every action movie or video game ever made.

On Crysis 2, does anyone else find the story completely incomprehensible? I'm about half way through the game, and I'm hard pressed to tell you what the fuck is going on. All i know is that there is an alien virus in Manhattan, there are mercenaries imposing martial law who for some reason don't like you, and that there are aliens who may or may not be related to the aliens of Crysis 1.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So what do they explain about the timeline between this game and Crysis 1? The last we saw that energy spehere had just gotten bigger as a result of the nuke.

Just ignore the story. It didn't make much sense before, it makes even less of it now. There are some things later revealed about Prophet and the suit via flashbacks, but it's nonsensical all the same. For the most part Crysis 2 ignores first game happened, just as I suspected it would, seeing as how console players didn't play the first game. Trying to analyze the story in a Crytek game isn't exactly the smart thing to do anyway. Aliens are the same though, they're just wearing different exoskeletons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom