Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would think Morrowind would be a fairly good game for a novice to play. It takes a little while to get going, and the systems are deep, yes, but once you power up a bit and figure out enchanting there is basically no challenge in it. Though it is pretty funny to waltz up to the final boss in rags of invincibility and let him beat on you for 5 minutes to no effect.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Level 10 or so is pretty much the threshold when the game starts getting really easy. Level 20+ is a cakewalk, at least in the main game. The high ordinators in Tribunal still kicked my ass at level 28.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Bloodmoon werewolves in the final maze can kill even level 50+ characters very quickly.

DraQ

Arcane
I think we need to have an extended training session in magery, you and I.
As long as we aren't about to become very close.

The problem I see is that to teach you more I'd have to spell stuff out for you, and I'd really prefer not to. You see, the thing about this consoletard disease is is that with all the quest compasses, helpers and other anti-frustration measures you've never learned that problems are not just frustrating speedbumps put in the way of your gaming experience, but that as opportunities to exercise your problem solving skills they are not just the source of gaming experience in their own right, but also potentially far more rewarding than even the juiciest cutscene or finishing move. Modern games condition you to remain passive, we want to teach you the value and fun of being active.
Spelling things out for you would defeat the point of this lesson, no?

I can still give you two hints, I suppose:

-Stop thinking along the lines of what is explicitly allowed, try to find the limits of what is explicitly forbidden. Don't do stuff because you're told to, do stuff because you can (or want to test *IF* you can). Think out of the box and don't wait to be prompted.

-Regarding Morrowind Spell system - try learning as much as you can of how game's systems (stats and so on) work using manual, interface tooltips and experimentation (in that order). What does it mean that someone has 100 willpower? What does agility do? How is it determined whether you hit someone or not? Also try to check what effects are there in game and what do they do. Then, try to find ways to use this knowledge for your benefit.

Oh, about Blades:
Try asking Caius about Blades trainers, and then try to talk to those agents about them being Blades trainers (same topic). Those ladies, gentlemen, elves and gentlelizards are trying to lend you a hand as a n00b in their organization. Do let them.

shendricks221

Educated
The fact that you are kind of struggling with Morrowind, after playing Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld II, is quite disturbing to me. Morrowind was my first RPG and I didn't have that much trouble! :rpgcodex:

Apparently I didn't pick the easiest class/race/sign combo to get a running start with. I'll get there; I've just started this thing.

DraQ

Arcane
Apparently I didn't pick the easiest class/race/sign combo to get a running start with. I'll get there; I've just started this thing.
No, you've picked class (dedicated caster) that requires some thought to be played effectively.
:balance:
Unless you put some thought in you'll be getting lemons.

Other than that it's probably somewhere between 6th and 3rd best race/class/sign combination (premade classes) for aggressive dedicated caster and between 1st and 12th best combination for dedicated caster in general.

You can't get much better than that, stop blaming your race/class/sign combo.
The only problem is that mage or sorcerer can't just run in and mindlessly murder everything in sight.
To murder everything in sight horribly and fast (in slightly more than 3s, generally speaking) or otherwise rape it you need situational awareness, plan and good spell library.

*) Dedicated caster = mage or sorcerer.
Best dedicated casters are Altmers and Bretons, Altmers make the best aggressive casters but are weak in terms of magic defence.
Best caster signs are Atronach, Apprentice and Mage, in that order, but with Atronach being utter n00bslayer, and Apprentice gimping your magical defences even further.

I often don't get the amount of enthusiasm you have for the mechanics of this game DraQ given how there really needs to be a challenge in the first place to justify that much thought going into developing your character. There's just no motivation. The motivation should be to explore and gain access to new things and make new discoveries, but there just aren't any thresholds of that kind in Morrowind. A basic character can do just about everything the game has to offer

I find it strange that after the author catches Swamp Fever IRL he decides to stop playing the game. Whenever I used to get sick the first thing I would do is go and play more games.

shendricks221

Educated
I find it strange that after the author catches Swamp Fever IRL he decides to stop playing the game. Whenever I used to get sick the first thing I would do is go and play more games.

You're one of the few that gives a shit, Excomm. At least you seem to, anyway. I have every intention of finishing the game, but I'm rethinking whether it's worth my time to blog about it. I lost, like, my entire audience in my week of sickness. Fickle, fickle.

Bruticis

You're one of the few that gives a shit, Excomm. At least you seem to, anyway. I have every intention of finishing the game, but I'm rethinking whether it's worth my time to blog about it. I lost, like, my entire audience in my week of sickness. Fickle, fickle.
You're a fucking idiot, like people are going to just check your fucking shitty blog every single day with zero updates until you return. Who the fuck do you think you are? Pretentious much? When you did finally manage to stop being lazy sick, you got one update in before you quit again. Deja Vu, but not surprising at all since I told you from the get go this would have the exact same outcome as it did before.

Bruticis

Better plan, go back to playing the shit games you played before...my patience level has been exceeded.

Depends on how sick you are. When you have a headache or some other kind of pain, the last thing you want is to sit down in front of a screen with rapidly moving colors. My throat is sore from the cold and the discomfort is already making it hard to play even a game that doesn't require much concentration like binding of Isaac.

(of course, when I was a kid I'd just ignore the pain, because like hell I would waste a free gaming afternoon)

Israfael

Arcane
Strange that you didnt figure out at this point that you can jump around the island via guild portals.. By the way, compound spells (i.e. Weakness to Fire 0-100% for 1 s + Fire damage 1-80 pts ) rule.. especiallly as enchants :D

As an evil, scheming mage you ought to use 'damage attribute' spells, as well as absorb (in other words, steal) health / magicka.

PS Why u didnt visit moonmoth fort? the guy there has a very intresting task for your 'morally bankrupt'(tm) heart

aron searle

Arcane
I lost, like, my entire audience in my week of sickness. Fickle, fickle.

Well I read the blog, on this and both the fallout entry.

You spend half your blog writing about how you constantly reload and save to get the "right" outcome, can't seem to figure out basic stuff, then ...... stop writing, yaaaawn.

The fallout blog was just as fucking bad, save load save load save load save load, not cus he dies, but because "well I made this choice but now want to make that choice", missing the point much! then that blog stopped a month ago.

Delete your shitty blog, it's shitty.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think his last entry was pretty good. It seems to me as if he were getting into the game a little more, enjoying playing his character, completing quests. Makes me laugh that he prefers to summon a dagger and go hand-to-hand with his opponents as a mage, but hey, who am I to judge? :lol:

It's been two weeks since the last entry. I wonder if he just gave up.

Bruticis

Yup, he quit and I'm done messing with his re-education program. He basically threw a fit because he was sick for a week and had no viewers when he came back. Apparently everyone was supposed to check a dead blog everyday until a new post is up.

I think his last entry was pretty good. It seems to me as if he were getting into the game a little more, enjoying playing his character, completing quests. Makes me laugh that he prefers to summon a dagger and go hand-to-hand with his opponents as a mage, but hey, who am I to judge? :lol:

He's catching on - Bound dagger in Morrowind is great, it gives you an endgame quality weapon at an increased to-hit chance for a friendly magicka cost. A much better use of magic points early on than Arrile's "1-3 Elemental Damage for 1 second" bullshit spells, which made magic look wimpy enough to the point of making me give up on my first character (a Witch hunter) and restarting with a warrior-type.

...of course, it's possible he didn't know that and just thought the daedric dagger looked cool.

Then I guess he was neither made for these games nor for blogging as the one thing that older gamers and bloggers both need to have is persistence

DraQ

Arcane

He's catching on - Bound dagger in Morrowind is great, it gives you an endgame quality weapon at an increased to-hit chance for a friendly magicka cost.
The problem is that it's still held by a lousy fighter (+10 to weapon skill notwithstanding) with shit HP, limited mobility and no armour.

Bound weapon makes decent last resort or economy weapon for a pure mage, but it isn't something you should rely on, unless you're a hybrid (battlemage + bound axe = carnage).

A much better use of magic points early on than Arrile's "1-3 Elemental Damage for 1 second" bullshit spells, which made magic look wimpy enough to the point of making me give up on my first character (a Witch hunter) and restarting with a warrior-type.
Well, my first character was a Lady-born Argonian Spellsword (because diplomacy, lizardperson and well rounded character respectively - worked out pretty well apart from not really using offensive magic much due to lack of multiplier) and I was too busy running around on the water and thinking that at last I'm playing a game where mage isn't just an arcane archer, to be bothered with lousy n00b spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom