Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

DraQ

Arcane
What I wouldn't give to laugh my way through the combat scenes. I actually want to be a powerful sorcerer that can destroy everything in his path, but as of right now, I'm so pathetically weak it's kind of shameful. Having a lot of trouble leveling up, too.
To be a powerful sorcerer you need to do what sorcerers do - develop your own spells, and put some thought in it - just trying to pile up different kinds of damage doesn't count as putting thought in it, you need to think about how effects interact and what can you accomplish by making them work in concert.

As long as you have racial or sign magicka boost (altmer, breton, atronach, apprentice, mage) you can easily become extremely powerful as a wizard.
Most people don't however, because they cannot into spellmaker, instead preferring to whine about how mages are gimped.

Kukulkan

Learned
In the first dungeon watch out for a mudcrab. The bastard steals like a fourth of your health making the dungeon a lot harder than it should be.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I would imagine Morrowind is going to be one of the first games this guy plays that trivializes the actual killing of enemies and focuses more on the exploration of the landscape and the different ways of dealing with obstacles. Sure, brute force is always an option, but there are of course other paths such as stealth, conjuration, etc., that can be just as effective.

This is the concept that the consoletard simply cannot conceive of; what do you mean I don't actually have to kill that guy?

A sandboxey game like Morrowind, when enjoyed to its fullest and, shall I say, "properly" (not cheating, not exploiting), can do the most in terms of the education and enlightenment of the consoletard and bring him to understand and appreciate the essence of RPG's: their enjoyment lies not in their conquest, but rather in their journey.

Kukulkan

Learned
In the first dungeon watch out for a mudcrab. The bastard steals like a fourth of your health making the dungeon a lot harder than it should be.

Lolwut? There is no first dungeon in Morrowind and if you mean that smuggler cave next to Seyda Neen, or tombs on shore behind swamps, or Dagoth ash vampires cave hidden on the other side, there are no mudcrabs in it at all, besides the swamps around Seyda Neen. From there you can go either to Ascadian Isles region, or to Bitter Coast.

Spoiler
Thanks for ruining my fake advice.

shendricks221

Educated
How about we keep the hints and clues to an absolute minimum in this thread. No doubt he will go and look them up on his own at some point but at least we can then berate him for it instead of you

Aw c'mon Excomm, surely you think better of my integrity than that. But seriously, this is my favorite of the three games I've played this go-around (I still prefer Fallout 2 from the first time, I think, but that's undecided), and I really, really don't want to taint it. I've been getting destroyed in combat the whole time through but I haven't given in and looked things up or cheated. I want to become a crazy powerful sorcerer the natural way, no matter how bad it hurts here at the beginning stages.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you can accomplish that, and somehow convince your 'followers' that you did so indeed without any kind of cheating, I'd say the respect paid to you as a gamer will increase somewhat. Morrowind is kind of a rite of passage in many ways.

Bruticis

Did you read his blog post today? For fucks sake, how do you call yourself a writer and not know what the word burden means?

Bruticis

Wait, what? Summarize for me, Bruticus. I ain't got time to bleed read that shit.
We told him to get some damn spells (he's still using the ONE destruction spell you start with and that's it). Here's what he did:

Here’s where I make another miscalculation. While looking through some of the spells, I find that the Burden ones seem especially useful — relatively cheap and 40 points of Burden for 10 seconds in the case of Heavy Burden. The problem, of course, which I figure out later, is that Burden is not damage, and I for some reason overlooked that little fact at the time. I’d already purchased three spells in that category before coming to the realization that burden doesn’t cause any damage at all.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry, you're not fooling me. Anyone with OCD would have read the spell description, probably like fifteen times. And an intelligent person with OCD would have immediately realized that Burden does not, of course, "cause any damage at all."

What in the hell were you thinking?

DraQ

Arcane
There are far more spells in Morrowind that don't cause any damage than those that do.
*cue the sound of consoletard's head exploding*

Also, not "buy spells", *make* spells.

With several exceptions (like many utility spells and some combat spells that make decent, low cost, generic attack spells) a dedicated spellcaster buys spells only to obtain effects to work with using spellmaker.

I actually went as far as to create prefixed "library" spells, that clustered at the front of my spellbook (due to prefixes) and archived 8 effects each. They weren't mean to be cast in any circumstances, they were simply my safe method of effect storage, allowing me to unclutter my spellbook and delete spells without worrying about losing spell effects.

All those fireballs, lightning bolts and frostbites are shit. They are basically anti-vermin spells, or support spells if you primarily charge the target with sword, but need some backup magic.

Proper wizard finds a person offering service of spellmaking and custom builds his arsenal of sometimes very purpose-specific spells, each consisting of effects daisychained for maximum effect. The main drawback here is magicka cost - custom spell consumes on the average basis twice as much magicka as standard one with the same effect, while combining multiple effects in single spell also confers a hefty cost penalty, so you need to know what the fuck you are doing and why some effects work better together and in what order, otherwise you're going to just have a spellbook full of weak, inefficient versions of basic sucky spells.

shendricks221

Educated
Sorry, you're not fooling me. Anyone with OCD would have read the spell description, probably like fifteen times. And an intelligent person with OCD would have immediately realized that Burden does not, of course, "cause any damage at all."

What in the hell were you thinking?

I've played like six RPG's my whole life, Crispy, I don't even know how to think yet. My training wheels are still being formed! Wait, wait. It shouldn't take an extensive RPG background to utilize common sense, right? Also, maybe I shouldn't have countered with OCD. It appears that's actually viewed as a compliment here instead of, you know, the severely problematic anxiety disorder it actually is.

shendricks221

Educated
There are far more spells in Morrowind that don't cause any damage than those that do.
*cue the sound of consoletard's head exploding*

Also, not "buy spells", *make* spells.

With several exceptions (like many utility spells and some combat spells that make decent, low cost, generic attack spells) a dedicated spellcaster buys spells only to obtain effects to work with using spellmaker.

I actually went as far as to create prefixed "library" spells, that clustered at the front of my spellbook (due to prefixes) and archived 8 effects each. They weren't mean to be cast in any circumstances, they were simply my safe method of effect storage, allowing me to unclutter my spellbook and delete spells without worrying about losing spell effects.

All those fireballs, lightning bolts and frostbites are shit. They are basically anti-vermin spells, or support spells if you primarily charge the target with sword, but need some backup magic.

Proper wizard finds a person offering service of spellmaking and custom builds his arsenal of sometimes very purpose-specific spells, each consisting of effects daisychained for maximum effect. The main drawback here is magicka cost - custom spell consumes on the average basis twice as much magicka as standard one with the same effect, while combining multiple effects in single spell also confers a hefty cost penalty, so you need to know what the fuck you are doing and why some effects work better together and in what order, otherwise you're going to just have a spellbook full of weak, inefficient versions of basic sucky spells.

I think we need to have an extended training session in magery, you and I.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The fact that you are kind of struggling with Morrowind, after playing Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld II, is quite disturbing to me. Morrowind was my first RPG and I didn't have that much trouble! :rpgcodex:

Here’s where I make another miscalculation. While looking through some of the spells, I find that the Burden ones seem especially useful — relatively cheap and 40 points of Burden for 10 seconds in the case of Heavy Burden. The problem, of course, which I figure out later, is that Burden is not damage, and I for some reason overlooked that little fact at the time. I’d already purchased three spells in that category before coming to the realization that burden doesn’t cause any damage at all.

Dear god, that's fucking terrible. I could understand if he bought all three at once before testing, but it doesn't seem like he did. I wonder what he has to say ab

I've played like six RPG's my whole life, Crispy, I don't even know how to think yet. My training wheels are still being formed! Wait, wait. It shouldn't take an extensive RPG background to utilize common sense, right? Also, maybe I shouldn't have countered with OCD. It appears that's actually viewed as a compliment here instead of, you know, the severely problematic anxiety disorder it actually is.

:what:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind's easy for beginners. Just roll Redguard fighter and you can steamroll everything with Adrenaline Rush.

1334696875044.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am pretty shocked at this "Burden" thing. This poster can write, so he can apparently read. But can he think?
Some synapses never got activated. I do not believe he is stupid or illiterate, but he is the immediate example of what modern mainstream console games did to gamer's brains. A lot of these can think, they just do not know it is a good idea to do so in games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom