Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

Bruticis

So bros, many years ago my pretentious wanna be jurno-bro (edgy insults so I don't sound biased) attempted my RPG experiment where he would play a cRPG I assigned him and blog about it. He started off with Fallout 2 and did pretty well, so well that I got cocky and gave him Planescape when he finished. I doubt any newfags remember but it was a massive failure. He made if about a week and couldn't bear the pain any longer.
After a few years hiatus he wanted to come back and try again. I figured this time I'd just throw him a curve ball right out of the gate and have him play Ultima 7. What could possibly go wrong? Anyway, for entertainment purposes (and educational use in the future of re-training consoletards), I present his new blog, www.gameshy.net. Please don't give him any spoilers or shit in the comments as this tainted his Fallout 2 experience some.
Oh and NB4 retards call this blog mine, it's not, I can't write for shit (review my post history, duh). I'm just passing this on to embarrass him and perhaps make him more committed to finishing more than 1 game this time.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Is there a link to the PST blog so I can laugh at it?

I know PST starts out a little slow but after the first 3-5 hours it picks up a bit.

Maybe he's more of a combatfag than a storyfag in which case he might also hate Ultima 7.

cutterjohn

Cipher
NS! WTF would have fun being ASSIGNED games to play?!

EPIC PHAILWHALE regardless of whether or not the subject of the experiment liked them or not FFS!

Bruticis

He's not supposed to have fun, I am. If he has fun along the way, that's just a bonus. Also, that fucking green page is ugly as fuck, I can't control his consoletard taste in colors (I'm thinking it's some kind of Freudian Xbox reference). Old blog is here http://sprayahen.wordpress.com/

shendricks221

Educated
Author of consoletard blog here. Sorry about the green, the background has to match the Pip Boy header, anyone with better designer instincts than myself have a suggestion? Also, I'll finish Ultima 7 for sure. I just don't know when. I have no idea what I'm doing at all so far...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's not as bad Ultima 8 that's for sure.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I took a look at the PST blog. How come you never finished it when you quit the blog? You made all those excuses about the blogging ruining your enjoyment of the game.

shendricks221

Educated
Oh, actually because I hated the game and was just lying on the blog to look like less of an asshole.

thesoup

Arcane
:lol:

Let's give our eager friend a warm welcome. To get to know Codex better, I suggest your read this thread. Yes, all of it.
Hopw roewur ne, my friend.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Ugh, communicating with jRPG fans happens on a WHOLE 'nother level! I tried pointing out the linear click-and-play gameplay, the non-interactivity, the fact that it was like a giant movie with poorly wrought dialogue, and even the moron indicators that told you EXACTLY WHAT BUTTON TO PUSH!111! Got me nowhere. "I hate western RPG's."

Room temp IQ?

Kukulkan

Learned
Really? Ultima 7? Be easy on the kid and give him Wizardry. It's a nice game that's piss easy for those unfamiliar with the genre. Other potential games that he should play include Arcanum, the System Shocks, the Ultima Underworlds, Might and Magic 8, and Fallout 1. In fact I'm surprised Fallout 1 wasn't going to be the next considering it being a shorter Fallout 2 with a time limit.

m_s0

Arcane
Author of consoletard blog here. Sorry about the green, the background has to match the Pip Boy header, anyone with better designer instincts than myself have a suggestion? Also, I'll finish Ultima 7 for sure. I just don't know when. I have no idea what I'm doing at all so far...

It's "Vault Boy", ffs :rpgcodex:

shendricks221

Educated
The journey continues; I've now decided I hate real-time combat and much prefer turn-based instead. That should be worth some street cred... I'm having serious U7 combat issues.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Well, ummm... Ultima VII sucks, sorry. It has lots of redeeming features (good sandbox game, nice story and characters), but it's pretty much the popamole of its times, with shitty RPG mechanics, terrible combat, linear progression and awful health regen. Start with Ultima IV if you want the real Ultima experience, or try Darklands instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Health regen? o_O Also what do you mean by "linear progression"

Kukulkan

Learned
Well, ummm... Ultima VII sucks, sorry. It has lots of redeeming features (good sandbox game, nice story and characters), but it's pretty much the popamole of its times,.
Heresy!! Don't forget the adventure gaming elements to it.
with shitty RPG mechanics,
This isn't unique to U7
terrible combat,
This isn't unique to U7
linear progression and awful health regen.
Be thankful for the regen as it makes the combat less painful. And it's not like there are that many roleplaying games that have nonlinear plots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom