Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

The problem is that it's still held by a lousy fighter (+10 to weapon skill notwithstanding) with shit HP, limited mobility and no armour.

Everyone is like that at the beginning, so every little bit helps. Early on you need all the combat skills you can get because fucking Fargoth can kick your ass. I can experiment with levitation and water walking later, gimme some way to cause damage so I don't feel disgusted with my own character for being an useless little bitch that is weaker than the malnourished peasants I'm trying to help.

Severian Silk

I'm thinking of quitting too. The retarded Wikipedia NPCs are pissing me off, and I don't like wandering around so much looking for random shit.

The enchantment and potion systems are kind of daunting me too. I can see how they could be cool in theory, but the sheer number of combinations and permutations is too much for my brain.

Regardless, I am not touching Daggerfall with a 12 foot pole.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'm thinking of quitting too. The retarded Wikipedia NPCs are pissing me off, and I don't like wandering around so much looking for random shit.

The enchantment and potion systems are kind of daunting me too. I can see how they could be cool in theory, but the sheer number of combinations and permutations is too much for my brain.

:mob:

DraQ

Arcane
The problem is that it's still held by a lousy fighter (+10 to weapon skill notwithstanding) with shit HP, limited mobility and no armour.
Everyone is like that at the beginning, so every little bit helps.
Everyone? No.

You can have some combination of skills at 50, 60HP, good mobility and workable weapon and armour before you wander out of Seyda Neen for the first time - at level one, without engaging in tedious or dubious practices.

Early on you need all the combat skills you can get because fucking Fargoth can kick your ass.
Which is the whole point. If you want to poke people with daggers and little else, first and foremost you take a Dunmer, stealth specialization, Dagger in majors.

It gives you 45 starting skill with short blades, compared to Altmer/Breton mage's 15.
If you want, you can major in conjuration too which gives you bound dagger spell with it's 10 point bonus and nice damage on top of that, and if you're determined to first and foremost stab people in the face rather than sneak or do whatever else, you can take Warrior, Thief or Lover sign for +10% to hit, +10% to dodge or effective +5% to both respectively.

Better yet, if you wanted cliched ol' warrior with a sword, you'd take Redguard, combat specialization and long blades as major, giving you 50 skill with long blades off the boat, along with considerably buffed strength and endurance, meaning more oomph and more HPs, and since there is no sign giving you more oomph, you can top it off with Warrior, or Lady if you're more interested in having as much HPs as possible. Unfortunately you'll have to get your Bound Sword spell on your own, although enchanting your own weapon with on strike version of it would probably be preferable to just casting it and realistic even on lvl1 if you major in enchant as well.

Want to trololol everyone without taking damage? Do most of the above, except take Argonian, Steed, combat specialization, speed in favoured attributes, Spear, Athletics, Acrobatics and Enchant in majors, obtain a chitin spear, Bound Spear spell, and a few rat or cliffracer souls in gems, and enchant chitin spear as detailed above. Stay light, with little or no armour or pointless junk weighting you down. Congratulations, you've pretty much won the game at level 1.

Why the fuck would you want to stab shit with a fucking mage unless it's your last resort, finishing off incapacitated enemies or you don't want to waste magicka on rats or mudcrabs?
:retarded:

Mage is about creative uses and combinations of spell effects and even low level mage can be fucking scary after getting their hands on some effects and person providing spellmaking service. Mage generally doesn't engage in combat - combat isn't something you want to do when you're a frail dude wearing bathrobe - he makes shit die, ignore him, help him, drop down incapacitated, or kill itself in largely non-negotiable manner in addition to utilitarian shit like walking on water and flying around when he damn pleases - see the mysterious synchronous heart attack of 3E 427 killing all Balmora Council Club patrons.

:smug:

I can experiment with levitation and water walking later, gimme some way to cause damage so I don't feel disgusted with my own character for being an useless little bitch that is weaker than the malnourished peasants I'm trying to help.[/quote]

:what:

You, sir, are a cretin.

Why the fuck would you want to stab shit with a fucking mage unless it's your last resort, finishing off incapacitated enemies or you don't want to waste magicka on rats or mudcrabs?
:retarded:

Mage is about creative uses and combinations of spell effects and even low level mage can be fucking scary after getting their hands on some effects and person providing spellmaking service. Mage generally doesn't engage in combat - combat isn't something you want to do when you're a frail dude wearing bathrobe - he makes shit die, ignore him, help him, drop down incapacitated, or kill itself in largely non-negotiable manner in addition to utilitarian shit like walking on water and flying around when he damn pleases - see the mysterious synchronous heart attack of 3E 427 killing all Balmora Council Club patrons.

:smug:

That's all valid but we're talking early on, when you can neither silently cripple an entire football team at once nor simply fireball fauna to hell (unless you know exactly where to go and what to do, or you're roleplaying a rich Altmer with narcolepsy). You'll need to stab a fair amount of shit until you can reliably act as a :obviously: mage.

Read the journal, son.

Not sure if serious...just drink [skill/attribute] potions when you need [skill/attribute].

DraQ

Arcane
That's all valid but we're talking early on, when you can neither silently cripple an entire football team at once nor simply fireball fauna to hell (unless you know exactly where to go and what to do, or you're roleplaying a rich Altmer with narcolepsy).
The point is that you can. Yes, you will need to delve rather deeply into spellmaking and descriptions of various effects, but it is perfectly possible to start being a badass wizard from level 1 to 3. Your worst limitation at this point is magicka, but if you're playing an Altmer, you'll already have more than most of the characters can ever hope for, including mages of less magically inclined races (and they are perfectly viable if born under right sign), second worst is casting chance, but you can have pretty high starting skills if you build a focused character.

The worst problem is not any actual limitation, but that by the point where you fire up Morrowind for the first time and make your very first character with stupid, not lore-compliant name, you've probably heard that "pure casters suck in Morrowind, make a battlemage or spellsword" about a thousand times.

As for narcolepsy, it's part of the job description in RPGs up to and including Morrowind.
Imagine soloing a caster in BG or Wizardry 8.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Make this guy play Gothic 2.

I found it to be a far superior experience than Morrowind. The leveling and stat bonuses in Morrowind make you a neurotic mess in trying to keep track of everything so you get good bonuses, and if you really have OCD you'll make sure you get the max bonuses on every level. Sure, you can ignore it and attempt to be a purist, but just the fact that YOU KNOW IT'S THERE is maddening. Gothic 2 allows you to enjoy your progression.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So whats the advantage of doing a blog over lp threads anyway?

Rpgsaurus Rex

I found it to be a far superior experience than Morrowind. The leveling and stat bonuses in Morrowind make you a neurotic mess in trying to keep track of everything so you get good bonuses, and if you really have OCD you'll make sure you get the max bonuses on every level. Sure, you can ignore it and attempt to be a purist, but just the fact that YOU KNOW IT'S THERE is maddening. Gothic 2 allows you to enjoy your progression.

Playing G2 without NotR, right? Because NotR adds a no less neurotic incentive to not spend any +stat consumables until you reach 5LP costs through training. Not to mention a truly OCD person will end up dueling/killing every duallable NPC to get the most XP possible, not to mention cleaning out the whole Khorinis and thereabouts map section in Chapter 1.

DraQ

Arcane

Morrowind really should've gone with Daggrefall's "you don't know which skills have increased and whether you've gained a level until you rest". Mixed with Skyrim's "all skills contribute to level up".

Sunsetspawn

Arcane

Playing G2 without NotR, right? Because NotR adds a no less neurotic incentive to not spend any +stat consumables until you reach 5LP costs through training. Not to mention a truly OCD person will end up dueling/killing every duallable NPC to get the most XP possible, not to mention cleaning out the whole Khorinis and thereabouts map section in Chapter 1.
I didn't play with NotR, so I guess so. I'm sure there are some things about Vanilla that could make a person crazy, but they aren't as in your face as, "hey, you leveled up, look, you got bonus because of skills that were raised in between levels, hey, stop paying attention to those Christina Aguilera monsters, wouldn't you like to maximize that bonus every time, I know I would, hey, where'd your underpants go?"

I'm just sayin' that Gothic 2 never made me crazy.

DraQ

Arcane
The only Morrowind build that is hard or takes any planning in my experience is a pure mage.
It is hard because it requires thought, and requires planning because it's non-viable without magicka multiplier one can only obtain from a right race or birthsign.

OTOH it's satisfying and fun to play even after you've earned your power - because 'earned' actually means 'earned' here, not 'smashed enough mudcrabs with a hmmr'.

Gord

Arcane
Hey, magic in Morrowind is certainly interesting, but one has to realize that the classical fireball-slinger is not going to work quite so easy as destruction spells are pretty shit compared to other games (at least from a price/performance pov).
If all you are after is to kill stuff fast, then the most economic way is still to enchant some weapon and hit the monster until it dies. Faster and cheaper than using destruction magic.
Which is, why I'd recommend some mana-regeneration mod if you want to play a destruction-based mage.
Of course I'm sure DraQ will tell us either not to play destruction-based mages, as there are so many cool things you can do with a mage in Morrowind that aren't centered around hurling lightning and fire, or to get creative with spells that add some vulnerability/reduce resistance (and exploit Morrowinds peculiarities there).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess, and this odd to say because Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time, but I guess I just don't play Morrowind for combat. At all. So anything that makes combat more of a pain in the ass is quickly relegated to the "wtf no thanks" bin.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I guess, and this odd to say because Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time, but I guess I just don't play Morrowind for combat. At all. So anything that makes combat more of a pain in the ass is quickly relegated to the "wtf no thanks" bin.
So... what do you play Morrowind for?

I've never understood the appeal of these games.

DraQ

Arcane
Destruction isn't bad, you just need to use it in smart manner.
It also synergizes really nicely with Illusion and Mysticism, and can be even made to synergize with restoration and conjuration.
Making the rules work for you is pretty much given as this is what mages are expected to do in-universe.

Slow magicka regen is handy, though, as it helps you cut down on cat-naps (as long as it does account for Atronach-born not regenerating their magicka).

Exploration, lore and messing around with spellmaker doing weird kinds of stuff.

Gameplay can be entertaining, especially with different builds, but you need some houseruling.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Exploration, lore and messing around with spellmaker doing weird kinds of stuff.

Gameplay can be entertaining, especially with different builds, but you need some houseruling.

Yup.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom