Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Released

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Another issue is the button that highlights objects does not highlight everything, for example at the beach there are 3 barrels with loot inside but when you highlight objects they are not highlighted, so basically you have to mouse over everything so you don't miss anything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It is a problem when you want to go to the second act and the game explicitly tells you "A PARTY OF YOUR LEVEL WILL FIND THIS EXCRUCIATINGLY DIFFICULT".

Remember, this isn't POE or the old Baldur's Gates where you could explore the whole map at any time. It's basically D:OS3, you get gated into certain areas.
Better start scouring every map available to you then.

Exactly my point. That's how the Original Sins work.

Well, it turns out I wasn't nearly finished with Act 1 after all. I'm 1/3 through level 5 and I just found two whole areas I hadn't explored at all. You must have missed a fuckton. I'll be close to level 6 when I go to act 2 if this keeps up.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is a problem when you want to go to the second act and the game explicitly tells you "A PARTY OF YOUR LEVEL WILL FIND THIS EXCRUCIATINGLY DIFFICULT".

Remember, this isn't POE or the old Baldur's Gates where you could explore the whole map at any time. It's basically D:OS3, you get gated into certain areas.

Well, it turns out I wasn't nearly finished with Act 1 after all. I'm 1/3 through level 5 and I just found two whole areas I hadn't explored at all. You must have missed a fuckton. I'll be close to level 6 when I go to act 2 if this keeps up.
You probably think you're being clever but you're just proving me right.

You have to scour the map on your own to find shit to level you up to the correct level.

I mean, it's nice to have more content but forcing you to do it like this, is one of the big complaints people had about D:OS 1 and 2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You probably think you're being clever

No? Not being clever, I'm just correcting this evidently incorrect statement:

Zarniwoop said:
I have completed all quests in act 1 (apart from the ones saying to go to Moonrise Towers or Baldur's Gate) and barely made it to lvl 4.

Zarniwoop said:
I mean, it's nice to have more content but forcing you

Forcing you? You can go to underleveled areas at exactly the same cost as in previous BG-games - being weaker than if you leveled.

Additionally, the game even on Tactician is easy enough that I doubt it'll make the massive difference the game claims whether you're level 4 or 5 when you enter act 2.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Forcing you? You can go to underleveled areas at exactly the same cost as in previous BG-games - being weaker than if you leveled.

But you can't come back later to do stuff you rushed though or want to skip, then later realise you fucked up. Like you can in most other RPGs

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

But you can't come back later to do stuff you rushed though or want to skip. Like you can in most other RPGs

Very much agree, Larian's design here has a clear weakness. But you needed to move the goal posts a long distance before arriving at valid critcism.

I really like this game after getting near the end of Act 1, but its weakest point so far in my opinion is that Larian's map design completely robs the game of feeling like you're moving about in a world. It's a terrible shame considering that part would probably have been kind of easy if they left behind their stubborn one-map design. But then, this is Larian, and they've been stubborn about a whole bunch of shitty decisions - the most baffling possibly being the chain-system for character control. It is unbelievably shit compared to the RTS scheme every other realtime movement iso RPG has had for decades.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You're joking right? One of the first party members you meet is an extremely homo vampire. Gayer than all the Twilight movies combined.

The very first one you meet (Shadowheart) is a lesbo. Maybe bisexual, who knows.
I've only had one short conversation with the vampire so far (I simply sent him to my camp) but, other than his obvious flamboyancy, he hasn't proposed buttsex or anything.

I haven't yet seen anything from Shadowheart to indicate she's anything other than angry.

Of course, this may change, but I'm specifically avoiding any dialog choices that even hint at deviancy.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

But you can't come back later to do stuff you rushed though or want to skip. Like you can in most other RPGs

But you needed to move the goal posts a long distance before arriving at valid critcism.

I did not. Look at the first post quoted here. I've been saying the same thing all along, it's just like the Original Sin games.

Regardless, the answer is YES, killing the goblins gives you a huge amount of XP. You have to go back and kill them even if you lured that bitch away like I did.

There are 2 ways to move to the next area:

1. Go through the mountain pass, this is where I got the LEVEL TOO LOW message. or

2. Go through the Underdark.

I thought they were just different paths but no. Going through the Underdark keeps you in act 1 and lets you gain XP, while the mountain pass seems to end it?

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
What an atrocity!
We went from this in 2000:

https://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/walkthrough/images/waukeenspromenade.jpg

to this abominable 3d shit with rotatable camera 23 years later.

No 2d, no paper dolls, no prerendered gfx, no fixed camera :(

Hideous 3d gfx and hideous UI :( :( :(
And fucking rotatable camera
And codexers fap to this 3d rotatable abomination...
Makes me so happy the losers on codex have lost their minds.

BG3 won phaggots.

Seethe, cope and dilate

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Another issue is the button that highlights objects does not highlight everything, for example at the beach there are 3 barrels with loot inside but when you highlight objects they are not highlighted, so basically you have to mouse over everything so you don't miss anything.
I think it has something to do with how close you are to items. Highlights will pop up as soon as you are close to them. Or maybe it has something to do with the Perception value.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think it has something to do with how close you are to items. Highlights will pop up as soon as you are close to them. Maybe it has something to do with the Perception value.

It actually uses vision cones. For instance, let's say you have an item behind the counter. It won't light up if you stand just in front of the counter, but if you're behind the counter you can stand quite a ways away and have it light up. I found out with the old letter in Grimforge that's behind a small stone block.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think it has something to do with how close you are to items. Highlights will pop up as soon as you are close to them. Maybe it has something to do with the Perception value.

It actually uses vision cones. For instance, let's say you have an item behind the counter. It won't light up if you stand just in front of the counter, but if you're behind the counter you can stand quite a ways away and have it light up. I found out with the old letter in Grimforge that's behind a small stone block.
This sounds like a neat compromise between the old fashioned "highlight everything" approach and a more realistic simulation for highlighting things you can "see."

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
So can someone tell me, how similar is this game to the last Original Sin? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being almost a carbon copy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Zarniwoop I'm now almost level 7 and still in Act 1. The warning is misleading to say the least, you can explore both the entirety of the underdark and the mountains without ever leaving Act 1. Maybe they added the warning because some quests will change states if you do certain stuff in Underdark and Mountains, that would make sense.

This sounds like a neat compromise between the old fashioned "highlight everything" approach and a more realistic simulation for highlighting things you can "see."

Dunno if it's neat. They paid a heavy annoyance cost for it. But it does do what they wanted it to do.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Zarniwoop I'm now almost level 7 and still in Act 1. The warning is misleading to say the least, you can explore both the entirety of the underdark and the mountains without ever leaving Act 1. Maybe they added the warning because some quests will change states if you do certain stuff in Underdark and Mountains, that would make sense.

Dunno if it's neat. They paid a heavy annoyance cost for it. But it does do what they wanted it to do.
Fair enough. It isn't the end of act 1 then, it just gives that impression because it says to finish all business etc.

The Underdark in itself is a yuge amount of content. I guess the acts here are more similar in length to NWN1 than D:OS.

Which is great. I would be disappointed if they pushed out a typical short, modern game that's over in a weekend.

There's always the possibility that the game is massively front-loaded in true Larian style, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've seen rumors during the EA that even Minsc makes an appearance. Somehow.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There's always the possibility that the game is massively front-loaded in true Larian style

I mean, how can I be level 7 if it's not? OTOH Mortismal specifically said the other acts kept the scope in contrast to what happened in DOS1 and 2.

I'm not sure why the warning is there since it is clearly incorrect - but *I think* it might be because a lot of companion quests and side quests are furthered in Mountain Pass and Underdark, so if you haven't hit those beats yet, you may end up missing a lot.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
After the Underdark, I'm very nearly lvl 6. This time I got this at the entrance to the mountain pass

1691344647108.png

But then after a loading screen, the quests are still the same and you can still travel anywhere.

Must be a bug left over from the EA.

Edit: dat view. It looks more like Uncharted than an RPG :lol:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So can someone tell me, how similar is this game to the last Original Sin?
I'd say at most a 5, and that's only because Larian's DNA is showing in the engine, in some of the mechanics of the game, etc.

Like I said above, what they managed to do is impressive. The depths to which they delved in terms of degeneracy appear to be unfathomable, but from a technical standpoint this is a noteworthy game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom