Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Released

MerchantKing

Learned
BG3 is the first good BG game.
It's a sequel in name only isn't it? Literally nowt to do with the other games.
The latter post explains why the former is true. :positive:

Though more precisely, the gameplay has nothing to do with the original two Baldur's Gate games, but the content is a different matter.
Larian did a good job making BG3 more like a modern Bioware title than BG1+2 ever could be. The gameplay is terrible compared to KotC1+2 though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The more I play this game the more obvious it becomes that it's just Baldur's: Original Gate. Sure, you'd expect some things to be familiar to D:OS players given it's the same studio and engine but this is a bit much:

>I just completed an absolutely impossible fight with typical Larian-style environmental shenanigans - exploding a Zergrush of goblins with a series of cleverly-placed explosive barrels.
>SEVERE under-leveling problem - I have completed all quests in act 1 (apart from the ones saying to go to Moonrise Towers or Baldur's Gate) and barely made it to lvl 4.
>The usual D:OS pocket dimension/home base area.
>Main enemy is literally THE DIVINE ABSOLUTE
>And of course the game starting off on a small island that you can never return to once you leave.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I've played it some. Spent most of my time fiddling with the in-game camera controls and trying to get the dialog audio to not somehow sound like it was recorded through a Coca-Cola bottle.

So far no signs of homosexuality, but chargen was... lol?

You're joking right? One of the first party members you meet is an extremely homo vampire. Gayer than all the Twilight movies combined.

The very first one you meet (Shadowheart) is a lesbo. Maybe bisexual, who knows.

Diggfinger

Arcane
baldursgatebigleagues9gdhx.png

They might blow past Fallout 4 by Sunday. Congratuations Larian, you're in the big leagues. World's most popular turn-based RPG.

Dang! Cyberpunk still high on that list... quite amazing considering the less-than-ideal launch :lol:

Video-games:cool:

But yeah, cool for Larian!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
>SEVERE under-leveling problem - I have completed all quests in act 1 (apart from the ones saying to go to Moonrise Towers or Baldur's Gate) and barely made it to lvl 4.
Given the length of the game, this isn't a problem. You don't want to hit the level cap halfway through it. Baldur's Gate had a level cap of 7.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm half-way to level 5 and I just got to the goblin camp. Seems you missed some content Zarniboy.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Given the length of the game, this isn't a problem. You don't want to hit the level cap halfway through it. Baldur's Gate had a level cap of 7.

It is a problem when you want to go to the second act and the game explicitly tells you "A PARTY OF YOUR LEVEL WILL FIND THIS EXCRUCIATINGLY DIFFICULT".

Remember, this isn't POE or the old Baldur's Gates where you could explore the whole map at any time. It's basically D:OS3, you get gated into certain areas.

I'm half-way to level 5 and I just got to the goblin camp. Seems you missed some content Zarniboy.

Might have something to do with HOW you finish quests? For example in the EA I solved the Goblin Question by killing all 3 leaders, then genociding the whole camp later. This time I just lured Mintara or whatver her name is to the grove and blew her army up.

Generally trying to take the diplomatic or persuasion route when I can - it's quicker.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is a problem when you want to go to the second act and the game explicitly tells you "A PARTY OF YOUR LEVEL WILL FIND THIS EXCRUCIATINGLY DIFFICULT".

Remember, this isn't POE or the old Baldur's Gates where you could explore the whole map at any time. It's basically D:OS3, you get gated into certain areas.
Better start scouring every map available to you then. Act 1 has been extensively playtested, can't imagine that they'd leave anyone in an unwinnable situation.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Better start scouring every map available to you then. Act 1 has been extensively playtested, can't imagine that they'd leave anyone in an unwinnable situation.
wow a larian game has an extensively playtested first playable location

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't know why but I expected it to be true to d&d 5th edition, this is not the case, you have things like special maneuvers on every weapon or you can start a ranger with heavy armor and summon familiar but basic stuff that even solasta provides like dodge action and ready action are missing entirely.
I just don't understand the logic, you can do complicated things like pick penis shape and exchange thongs between characters and put corpses in your backpack but not dodge? and there are still things that scream EA like the version number is stuck on your UI and you can't remove it unless you remove all the UI.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Better start scouring every map available to you then.

Exactly my point. That's how the Original Sins work.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
playing it. loving it.

Absolutely agree with mortismal tho, it has sadly some of the same problems that D:OS 2 had.

THe inventory UI and overall item micro management is really garbage tier like D:OS 2, its sad, but its ok. the game is amazing, but the ui come on. u had 6 years in EA to touch up the UI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom