Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Released

Drakortha

Liturgist
Makes me so happy the losers on codex have lost their minds.

BG3 won phaggots.

Seethe, cope and dilate
While 700k+ faggot losers paid to play this garbage game on Steam over the weekend, I was on a multi-day hike up in the mountains in real life.

I win, you all lost.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
And fucking rotatable camera
Not sure if you're memeing here, but I completely agree. In my opinion rotateable camera in top-down games just adds an unnecessary and annoying layer of fiddling.

Some games (such as XCOM 2012) somewhat solve it by implementing discrete, 90 degree angle rotations. When all you have to do is push a button to quickly switch a view, it's much more bearable than dragging the view angle all over the place.

While 700k+ faggot losers paid to play this garbage game on Steam over the weekend, I was on a multi-day hike up in the mountains in real life.

I win, you all lost.

I don't own the game, haven't played it, and will be in Yellowstone in a couple of weeks enjoying the scenery.

Can I at least claim a draw?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

BG3 won phaggots.

Seethe, cope and dilate

I win, you all lost.

Damn, you’re a real alpha. In fact, much too alpha to post on the Codex. Maybe you should stop?

Drakortha

Liturgist

Damn, you’re a real alpha. In fact, much too alpha to post on the Codex. Maybe you should stop?
Nah, I like it here. It's the only place on the internet I know of where I can tell gamers what time it is and not get banned for it.

It is time to stop playing and supporting these SHIT games that offer nothing new or noteworthy. I've enjoyed gaming but they haven't evolved or innovated in the ways that matter for years, meanwhile the only thing that's evolved is the more aggressive marketing and lies and BULLSHIT being sold to you to keep people playing regardless.

The developers could make great games worth my time. I know they can do it. We have the technology now. But they choose not to and put all their budget into marketing instead. They'd rather lie to you about making a great game, rather than actually do it for real. They'd rather lie to you that they are passionate than actually be passionate for real, because much like Hollywood passion is long fucking dead in this industry.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Nah, I like it here. It's the only place on the internet I know of where I can tell gamers what time it is and not get banned for it.

It is time to stop playing and supporting these SHIT games that offer nothing new or noteworthy. I've enjoyed gaming but they haven't evolved or innovated in the ways that matter for years, meanwhile the only thing that's evolved is the more aggressive marketing and lies and BULLSHIT being sold to you to keep people playing regardless.

The developers could make great games worth my time. I know they can do it. We have the technology now. But they choose not to and put all their budget into marketing instead. They'd rather lie to you about making a great game, rather than actually do it for real. They'd rather lie to you that they are passionate than actually be passionate for real, because much like Hollywood passion is long fucking dead in this industry.
Lol if Larian isn't passionate then no studio has ever been.

Funny thing is if you would drop your culture war retardation for once I'm sure you'd love the game but alas, the retard is too strong inside of you I fear.

Drakortha

Liturgist

Funny thing is if you would drop your culture war retardation for once I'm sure you'd love the game but alas, the retard is too strong inside of you I fear.
Why is Larian passionate?

Because they shove it in your face with every twitter post, every update, and every Youtube short they do?

It's MARKETING. How do I know this? Pretty fucking simple. Look at the end result of their products.

Cut corners everywhere.
Missing features that were in games decades ago.
Blatantly unfinished, badly designed, or unpolished features, done on purpose so they can sell an Enhanced Edition later.
"Culture War" garbage that you are seeing in every AAA game these days (chasing trends), yet somehow you exempt Larian here.

If Larian was so passionate, why can't they do anything that proves it? Or do you think massive commercial success is proof of their passion? Unfortunately, you are probably that DUMB.

Last edited:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Why is Larian passionate?

Because they shove it in your face with every twitter post, every update, and every Youtube short they do?

It's MARKETING. How do I know this? Pretty fucking simple. Look at the end result of their products.

Cut corners everywhere.
Missing features that were in games decades ago.
Blatantly unfinished, badly designed, or unpolished features, done on purpose so they can sell an Enhanced Edition later.
"Culture War" garbage that you are seeing in every AAA game these days (chasing trends), yet somehow you exempt Larian here.

If Larian was so passionate, why can't they do anything that proves it? Or do you think massive commercial success is proof of their passion? Unfortunately, you are probably that DUMB.
Company was almost bankrupt 10 years ago, if it wasn't for the passion at Larian studios they would've quit back then.

Also zero micro transactions, etc.

Anyway keep crying, BG3 is a critical and commercial success already.

elverkongen

Learned
I tried a "demo" of this and the intro is so godawfully overblown. Not five minutes in and its mindflayers, little brain critters, demon people, a cuttlefish spaceship, traversing planes, dragons, explosions, a ship crash. I felt like I was experiencing the vivid imagination of a five-year old dungeon master. All of that to end up... on another beach on some non-descript and visually underwhelming island (?). Feels very familiar, especially with that UI and combat. I'm glad people are enjoying it but I just can't get over how quintessentially "Larian" it feels - everything they produce feels devoid of soul to me. Visuals, story, characters, they always seem so uninspired.

Greenante

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
All this talking and cutscene-ing for fucks sake Larian.
It's depressing these are the keys you need to dangle and jangle to get attention and sales.
Also who would've thought it was possible to remove even more fun from 5e levelling.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think BG3 would actually be a lot more compelling had they toned down all that dramatic shit and kept the campaign relatively low-level like ToEE does. Its combat is excellent and its graphics and presentation are quite impressive.

Stating the obvious, all the high drama and homosexuality are seriously detracting from a more-than-decent tactical game. It's a pity.

Edit: Let me elaborate a bit. Warning: Gen-X/"Boomer" moment ahead. It's similar to when you have a teenaged kid listen to Led Zeppelin's Kashmir for the first time. It's like a light goes off in the kid's head. "Holy shit this is incredible! Who is this?!?" "That, son, is the mighty Led Zeppelin." "Is this new?" "Oh, no. This music hearkens back to a time long lost, something we call the nineteen seventies." "Why aren't more people listening to them?" "Well, they did." "But why not now? Why does everyone listen to Taylor Swift and all that other crap? It sucks!" "Son, I have no idea."

*Crispy retreats to his Lazy-Boy recliner*

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane

BG3 won phaggots.

Seethe, cope and dilate

I win, you all lost.

We’re called sigma males

Latro

Arcane
All this talking and cutscene-ing for fucks sake Larian.
It's depressing these are the keys you need to dangle and jangle to get attention and sales.
Also who would've thought it was possible to remove even more fun from 5e levelling.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Uh excuse me…this is the greatest rpg ever how dare you

elverkongen

Learned
I think BG3 would actually be a lot more compelling had they toned down all that dramatic shit and kept the campaign relatively low-level like ToEE does. Its combat is excellent and its graphics and presentation are quite impressive.

Stating the obvious, all the high drama and homosexuality are seriously detracting from a more-then-decent tactical game. It's a pity.

Edit: Let me elaborate a bit. Warning: Gen-X/"Boomer" moment ahead. It's similar to when you have a teenaged kid listen to Led Zeppelin's Kashmir for the first time. It's like a light goes off in the kid's head. "Holy shit this is incredible! Who is this?!?" "That, son, is the mighty Led Zeppelin." "Is this new?" "Oh, no. This music hearkens back to a time long lost, something we call the nineteen seventies." "Why aren't more people listening to them?" "Well, they did." "But why not now? Why does everyone listen to Taylor Swift and all that other crap? It sucks!" "Son, I have no idea."

*Crispy retreats to his Lazy-Boy recliner*
This reads like a scene from a movie where the grandpa who is practically catatonic in his recliner in front of the television suddenly sits up straight, clutches the arms of the chair with white knuckles, and says something nonsensical albeit with surprising urgency. The family watches with concern, then goes back to what they were doing as grandpa's eyes glaze over again and his body shrinks back into the cushions of his chair.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Codex be like AAA popamole bad
Also codex votes asiatic open world action game with rpg elements as codex 2022 goty.
Awesome button grunker roguey and rest of shills kidnapped this site for good.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

BG3 won phaggots.

Seethe, cope and dilate

I win, you all lost.
Heh, fag. Not only have I hiked myself, I also learnt new Dragon Words while doing so. You're mogged silly.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
is there any game made by a big studio that has “soul”? Soul is the vision of a single person and that gets lost when you have people doing graphic design, voice acting, animation, etc. on top of it.

In the case of film the director can arrange the set and cast the actors that he wants to realize his vision. I imagine its harder if graphic designers have to first conjure up shit, too much is lost in translation I think.

Much easier if dealing with simple graphics that do not require dozens of hours for a redo or if you’re in a small tight team.

elverkongen

Learned
is there any game made by a big studio that has “soul”? Soul is the vision of a single person and that gets lost when you have people doing graphic design, voice acting, animation, etc. on top of it.

In the case of film the director can arrange the set and cast the actors that he wants to realize his vision. I imagine its harder if graphic designers have to first conjure up shit, too much is lost in translation I think.

Much easier if dealing with simple graphics that do not require dozens of hours for a redo or if you’re in a small tight team.
That depends on how you define "big studio". Here is an extremely short list of games with the ambigious quality of "soul", which in my opinion could be more accurately defined as "a feeling as though a person capable of deep reflection and introspection has crafted this with care". BG3 and other Larian games feel like they were created by someone firmly rooted in the uttermost shallows of awareness, like a teenager with a mental capacity bordering on mild retardation.
  • Death Stranding
  • Total War Attila
  • Prey
  • Sekiro
  • Yakuza: LaD
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Metro (all)
  • Deus Ex

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

That depends on how you define "big studio". Here is an extremely short list of games with the ambigious quality of "soul", which in my opinion could be more accurately defined as "a feeling as though a person capable of deep reflection and introspection has crafted this with care". BG3 and other Larian games feel like they were created by someone firmly rooted in the uttermost shallows of awareness, like a teenager with a mental capacity bordering on mild retardation.
  • Death Stranding
  • Total War Attila
  • Prey
  • Sekiro
  • Yakuza: LaD
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Metro (all)
  • Deus Ex
mhh, I guess it depends on the skill of the director then. More people work on film than on games I think and they manage to pull it off.

Maybe we are still in the amateur stage of games and as studios like Larian push the boundaries we will hopefully see more David Lynches and George Lucases emerge. Tho the japs are pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom