Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Rise of the Triad game!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fucking hell, I saw this thread and thought "an actual awesome shooter? awesome!" :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fucking hell, I saw this thread and thought "an actual awesome shooter? awesome!" :(

Careful now, don't jump to conclusions - I smell edgydex overreaction in this thread

I dunno, the movement issues sound exactly like what I disliked about most of the "callback" shooters that have been out. I also generally trust MHC's opinion on games. We'll see.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Wow. The multiplayer netcode is fucking pathetic. Even with 60 ping, you warp around like fuck.

I really want to like this game, but the more I play the worse it gets.

Careful now, don't jump to conclusions - I smell edgydex overreaction in this thread

The more I play the game, the more I like it. The performance issues can surely go a long way towards ruining the experience, but it runs well (and real fast) for me with most of the unnecessary effects (for this type of game anyway) turned off and mouse smoothing disabled, especially now that I also applied the fps fix. It plays more like a mix between RtCW and the original RotT (which was originally supposed to be a Wolfenstein sequel itself), a more or less proper sequel rather than a straight remake, which is fine by me. They kept the spirit and humour of the original, but the maps are different and just by implementing full mouselook, non-automatic aiming and proper jumping you naturally get a different feel when it comes to controlling the character. Having said that, RotT was never Quake III and speed didn't really play a major role, especially since you couldn't jump at all outside of jump pads (except in Dog mode, and even then it was largely useless), and the movement in general felt relatively awkward.

Edit: Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, though.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
There's a few annoying game-breaking bugs here and there. I've gotten stuck in the maps a few times during the game so far, where you fall into a certain area and then just can't get out, and on the first big boss fight, when I died the first time it respawned me underneath the floor every time I reloaded the last checkpoint, meaning I had to restart the entire level.

The game seems good, but I think I'm going to drop it for a month or so so that they can fix it up properly first. It's unplayable for me at this point.

DefJam101

Arcane

I dunno, the movement issues sound exactly like what I disliked about most of the "callback" shooters that have been out. I also generally trust MHC's opinion on games. We'll see.
The movement is a wee bit too snappy for my taste but it basically feels exactly like movement did in the original Rise of the Triad. If someone could tweak/mod the player physics to enlarge the bunnyhop timing window and make continued strafe jumping accelerate you significantly more it will would do a lot for the game's movement.

I have a feeling they didn't actually want the game to have Quakelike physics, though. They wanted it to feel almost exactly like RoTT. And it does. But that's not necessarily a good thing...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey, I'm fine with that. Fuck Quake-physics. It sounded like the movement was almost CoD-sluggish from some of the comments. As long as it is fast-paced. Are the areas open?

Also, you need your old avatar, dude.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Hey, I'm fine with that. Fuck Quake-physics. It sounded like the movement was almost CoD-sluggish from some of the comments. As long as it is fast-paced. Are the areas open?
Fast is good, yes, but what's important for when you're going at super speed is a feeling of momentum. The default UDK movement feel is CoD-sluggish, and it seems like they just took that and tried to repurpose it by speeding it up three to five times.

DefJam101

Arcane
Hey, I'm fine with that. Fuck Quake-physics. It sounded like the movement was almost CoD-sluggish from some of the comments.
Yeah, not at all. The slowest character in the game runs faster than you do in Serious Sam.

Are the areas open?
Varies. Almost every map (except for the first few, which are weirdly claustrophobic) is a mix of winding, maze-like areas and larger open sections. Level design is very 90s-esq., with multiple paths through most areas, side rooms, dead ends, secrets, traps, etc.

My biggest problems with this remake are Unreal Engine 3 being a piece of shit and the game it's based on being mediocre to begin with. RoTT lacks solid enemy variety and design — which kills replayability — and the two-weapon-no-ammo system sucks compared to a traditional FPS inventory. I'd rather be able to carry seven situationally useful weapons with potentially limited ammunition than one six-shot weapon that makes everything in front of me explode.

Game has modding potential, though. Weapon mods, a few basic movement tweaks, plus new gametypes like assault, or a co-op survival mode? Shit, it could be UT2004 all over again.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
what's important for when you're going at super speed is a feeling of momentum.

Not really. My favourite FPS of all time is probably Duke Nukem 3D, and that games has very little sense of momentum.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
what's important for when you're going at super speed is a feeling of momentum.

Not really. My favourite FPS of all time is probably Duke Nukem 3D, and that games has very little sense of momentum.
On the contrary, DN3D's movement feels extremely fluid to me. You don't immediately go around at one fixed high speed with some hideously pronounced headbob; you have a little bit of float to your step so that if you want to make slight movements or movement corrections, you can and it won't jaggedly push you in a different direction. Perhaps I'm using the wrong term, but RotT is missing something that lots of good old shooters had, in regard to movement.

dunno lah

Arcane
So, when you say that the game has no momentum that it's similar to the wolf3d engine games? Like letting "W" go makes you stop instantaneously?

Multi-headed Cow

I got through episode 1 yesterday. Performance is still an awful bear (I'm pretty sure I was hitting single digit FPS briefly during the boss fight, which is a man in a box in a box shaped room in goddamn UE3) but I have been having fun. It's definitely not the second coming of Doom with varied weapons and enemies, but the original RotT wasn't either. Running around like a maniac blasting away with whatever weapon you have to pick up is pretty great. Levels don't seem as open as I remember them being in the original RotT but they're open by modern gaming standards. Unfortunately the game uses checkpoint saves, and usually every time you enter a new checkpoint area the previous area gets closed off to you. So you'll get this semi-open chunk, then as soon as you step through this doorway you're sealed in a new semi-open chunk.

If they fix the performance issues I'll be content. Sounds like bad performance is kind of a crapshoot though, I've got a 560TI and have awful performance, but I saw a guy say he had a 560 and was having rock solid performance. And if I can play Waifu Defense Infinite on the highest settings with no issues I don't see why RotT is giving me such a hard time.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I also have a 560ti, after some .ini tweaking the game performs reasonably well on my end.

The actual game is a mixed bag.

+ They've captured the "style" of the original pretty well. Weapons, gore, enemies, bosses and environments (including traps and many secrets) are pretty close to what I expected from a RotT "remake". Porridge can be cooked, eyes fly around, gibs are ludicrous etc.
+ Some levels are pretty well designed and open.
+ Option to use the awesome original music.
+ Moddable.

- No quick save / quick load but fucking checkpoints, this is just plain retarded. And to make things worse: checkpoints are few and far between.

:hmmm:

- Movement does feel "wrong" and imprecise and most levels are not suited for fast movement this causes much annoyance and even resulted in some accidental deaths.
- Gameplay is actually pretty slow and a bit popamole because of these two complaints. Going in guns blazing isn't really an option unless you don't mind replaying the same section (last checkpoint can easily be 10 + minutes old...) over and over or play on easy.
- Some levels are just awful, especially the ones that try to be Portal, "platforming" in the original RoTT was simplistic and never bothered me but here it's just aggravating. *
- Mouse acceleration is on by default and can only be disabled by tweaking an .ini file.
- The original RotT kept score in a nice non intrusive way, here you have an in your face scoring system with online leaderboards.
- Hearing the same one liner every bloody time you pick up a rocket launcher is pretty annoying.
- Clipping errors, bugs, subpar performance, general lack of polish.

I hope they fix these issues because I do think this game has the potential to be a lot better with minimal effort and some common sense...

I have yet to try the multiplayer but I'm certainly not expecting this to be the next UT or Q3.

3420B17075911B9A5EA8420F17BE54744CF61904

9D689D2C9DB590B120A1B7D2AEB79685FC1157A8

22844C43E05B6B3F69765DE9948C094334919E74

:rage:

Edit: The game just received its first (very) minor 500MB patch:

- Offline LAN visibility in the Server Browser now works properly
- UE3 Game Braking Debug Commands (F1-12) now disabled

They plan to release a "big patch" 4-5 weeks from now...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/217140/discussions/0/846960628247107602/

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just got back home to my internet and downloaded my pre-order. Wow they really fucked the one core aspect of this game up: speed and smooth gameplay. That is what is most important to an "old school shooter" and the one main thing they absolutely threw out the window, as far as I can tell. Mouse smoothing, horribly bouncy framerates, no quicksave... and all, apparently, to support a processing effect heavy graphical look that is a) unimportant to the audience, and b) ugly anyway.

I pre-ordered because I wanted to support the idea behind this, cheaper old school shooter games for a smaller audience, but they fucked up the core of it so badly I feel like a total idiot.

Assholes.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Well after seeing how this game is I agree with Metro. Gives insight to how crappy the Shadow Warrior remake is going to be since they decided to cut out the racist humor which is a core feature.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
In a post on the Steam board, the developer says that most of the framerate problems are caused by the developers trying to be clever with an engine that is no longer built for clever developers. All the levels are built out of modular components, but UE3 is normally used for environments built of large individual models and stuff, so loading all the individual components with something called "drawcalls" is just too much for UE3's tight little anus, even though it's just the commands that bring it to its knees. It sounds almost too stupid to be true, but who knows!!!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It sounds almost too stupid to be true, but who knows!!!

Even if it's true, wouldn't that be something that gets noticed early enough in development to change it?

Yeah, the idea this means it's all Epic's fault for building a dumb engine is fucking insanity. They played this shit before release, and the effects they used still look terrible and remove speed and smoothness from the game.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This. If they can't make the game properly on this engine, than I won't waste my time. After patching and optimalizations - why not ?

Rott was good for a deathmatch (11 players on map, yay) but it was just boring after the shareware episode. Also the great variety of weapons, so many rocket launcher variations. The bosses fight though were dull and painfully done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom