Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Reinhardt

Arcane
i'm acttually fine with story being what it is. sick and tired of deconstruction, grim dark, we are the real monsters, gray morale and everything being smeared with shit. reject modernity, embrace traditions.
good pipo beating ebul pipo. literally breathe of fresh air.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The earlier you class-up, the better your stats will be by the end of the game.
Are you sure about this? It's insane.
I feel all the "game isn't that difficult" moments would be fixed if the game didn't have battle predictions.
It really wouldn't. You would have to pay a bit more attention to enemy formations, but ultimately getting a feeling for what the end result should be really isn't that hard. The main thing it would solve is RNG shopping, since if you have multiple units in proximity you can swap them around for one with good rolls. But it honestly doesn't come up very often unless you've already basically won a map.
I just assumed, since advanced classes have better growth rate.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It would force you to use consumables for healing/resurrecting much more often, whereas with the current system you can typically avoid losses altogether. You basically never use rest or garrisoning units for healing or resurrection purposes, and I think thats largely due to you being able to predict (and avoid) the damage you will be taking.
I never use garrisoning because it takes forever to heal any reasonable amount of hp, and missions are timed.
I do agree that 'never having to play defensively' is an issue. They really should have designed some maps where it's worthwhile to hold a bridge or two.
There's no holding up enemies with Barricades or dropping a Gravity Well+Blaze on them to soften up enemies, it's simply not needed.
I agree, the only times I want to use offensive spells is against garrisons, but they're useless for that. I did use gravity well once (coloseum mission).

Retardo

Learned
What is wrong with the story, It's pretty good.
My general impression was it was pretty banal for srpg - evil overlord betrays and does his evil empire thing, hero and true heir does heroics, etc etc. Nephilim saga had this plot, ogre battle had this plot, every fucking japanese fantasy had this plot, and the fact that nephilim saga did this very same plot much better is what made me drop the unicorn.

Reinhardt

Arcane
in comments people saying physical copies on switch are pretty much sold out, co could probably be higher if there was more in stock.
also from article itself

Atlus has started advising customers in Japan to consider buying the game digitally rather than physically

Reinhardt

Arcane
again - i would gladly buy it on pc. between demo, first playthrough and in progress second i already played for more than 70 hours. rare thing these days. even just finishing game is rare for me lately.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
"Evil cause mindcontrolled" is a terrible plot device. Some characters still get a bit of development as the game shows how they deal with it after, but generally speaking, the more interesting characters were the ones that had actual reasons to act against you, not because "evil man made me do it". That's just boring.

Crayll

Liturgist
in comments people saying physical copies on switch are pretty much sold out, co could probably be higher if there was more in stock.
also from article itself

Atlus has started advising customers in Japan to consider buying the game digitally rather than physically
Now imagine if they released the game on a platform where buying games digitally is already the norm :x

Sunri

Liturgist
Compared to the last jp game that I played Fe engage this story is a masterpiece hehe

Reinhardt

Arcane
"Evil cause mindcontrolled" is a terrible plot device. Some characters still get a bit of development as the game shows how they deal with it after, but generally speaking, the more interesting characters were the ones that had actual reasons to act against you, not because "evil man made me do it". That's just boring.
amount of people being actually brainwashed is pretty low, even among initial ilenia retinue. everyone else is siding with galerius for money, status, out of fear, bloodlust, duty, love.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I like it. Its really enjoyable game. Very pleasant to play.
Story is generic but fine. Presentation is what matter and its quite good.
English dubbing is quite fine, its enjoyable and(as I heard) quite faithful even if more flowery(but direct translations are usually quite dry) and I quite like it.
Its solid 8+/10, maybe more.

Somebody mention that prediction system have big effect on difficulty and I agree. Not for top autists who would sooner or later break the game and reached 'game broken' status anyway.
But for cunning brainlets like me? Its like having integrated into game save scumming. You don't really need to know what are you doing - just move blocks(items, units etc) around until you get good enough results(enemy bar red - preferable wiped and dead, your bar green and safe). Imagine playing x com but you actually get info if you hit or miss before you shoot or info about enemy reaction fire, all integrated into game. Just move here and you miss, but you can use other weapon and you hit, or move into different place. Of course you get better results if you actually know what you doing and use smart things like boosting speed of your cavalry lead units - so you can choose your battles and run around enemy, use orders and right compositions/skills/items, etc. But its really great help.
Now, if you get only general results from predictions(RNG unknown so you ranges rather than direct prediction, get both max and min ranges from result) or plain hidden - situation for brainlets like me would be completely different. For many it would probably be invitation for save cumming. Remove save scumming from battles and you will hear cry that game is too hard(or people would be using guides to beat it.
The tools that devs give to player make it rather nice walk in the park instead. But seriously option to hide prediction, no save scumming abuse and no item juggling would make game much more difficult for many, and definitely would make for many rage inducing moments and though situations. Now i practically don't use items(or only for convenience) or deploy able items(mines, fortifications, etc). Don't even use many other tools.
Prediction are just too strong but also very convenient because otherwise you would actually need to watch battles to see how its going and why your troops get wiped.
Would be nice for extra custom difficulty option.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
But for cunning brainlets like me? Its like having integrated into game save scumming. You don't really need what you do - just move blocks(items, units etc) around until you get good enough results(enemy bar red - preferable wiped and dead, your bar green and safe). Imagine playing x com but you actually get info if you hit or miss before you shoot or info about enemy reaction fire, all integrated into game. Just move here and you miss, but you can use other weapon and you hit, or move into different place. Of course you get better results if you actually know what you doing and use smart things like boosting speed of your cavalry lead units - so you can choose your battles and run around enemy, use orders and right compositions/skills/items, etc. But its really great help.
I definitely agree, and I reckon that this feature will actually be what allows the game to be playable by a wider range of people who typically would quite a game like this halfway through. While it's definitely on the easier side for people who already know how to play these games, I've watched quite a few people struggle pretty hard with many fights, simply because they waste precious time, do not understand many of the debuffs or actions, or do not set up their gambits properly.

I also agree that save-scumming would likely return, and since this is console only and has no "load" button, it'd be a pain in the ass to do and would turn off many people from playing, so I think that this is a bit of a "damned if you/damned if you don't" situation. Like you said, an optional setting for hiding predictions would be great for turbo-autists like myself, but I do feel that in the grand scheme of things this is the lesser evil. If the prediction-feature means that more people will play and promote the game, then that increases the likelihoo of more Vanillaware games in the future, and that's a good thing.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I also agree that save-scumming would likely return, and since this is console only and has no "load" button, it'd be a pain in the ass to do and would turn off many people from playing, so I think that this is a bit of a "damned if you/damned if you don't" situation.
There is a load button, it's just hidden in a deeper submenu relative to save.

or do not set up their gambits properly.
By gambit you mean the tactics or? Because I have basically never felt the need to touch those. Which is kind of a shame, but also fine, would slow the game down so much if you had to tinker with them every fight.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
But for cunning brainlets like me? Its like having integrated into game save scumming. You don't really need what you do - just move blocks(items, units etc) around until you get good enough results(enemy bar red - preferable wiped and dead, your bar green and safe). Imagine playing x com but you actually get info if you hit or miss before you shoot or info about enemy reaction fire, all integrated into game. Just move here and you miss, but you can use other weapon and you hit, or move into different place. Of course you get better results if you actually know what you doing and use smart things like boosting speed of your cavalry lead units - so you can choose your battles and run around enemy, use orders and right compositions/skills/items, etc. But its really great help.
I definitely agree, and I reckon that this feature will actually be what allows the game to be playable by a wider range of people who typically would quite a game like this halfway through. While it's definitely on the easier side for people who already know how to play these games, I've watched quite a few people struggle pretty hard with many fights, simply because they waste precious time, do not understand many of the debuffs or actions, or do not set up their gambits properly.

I also agree that save-scumming would likely return, and since this is console only and has no "load" button, it'd be a pain in the ass to do and would turn off many people from playing, so I think that this is a bit of a "damned if you/damned if you don't" situation. Like you said, an optional setting for hiding predictions would be great for turbo-autists like myself, but I do feel that in the grand scheme of things this is the lesser evil. If the prediction-feature means that more people will play and promote the game, then that increases the likelihoo of more Vanillaware games in the future, and that's a good thing.
People ITT shitting on a masterpiece like XCOM 2: WotC while praising a literal visual novel. The Codex truly is lost.

"i dun wan too tink. me want pretty cartoon wit no buton push"

Fags.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I liked you better as a psychotic drunk
maybe try that again

just dont molest your cats :negative:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I liked you better as a psychotic drunk
maybe try that again
You shouldn't let other peoples' opinions affect you, especially of those so called "psychotic drunks". If they matter so much to you, you've got bigger problems, pal. Anyways this game is ass, and not the good kind.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
By gambit you mean the tactics or? Because I have basically never felt the need to touch those. Which is kind of a shame, but also fine, would slow the game down so much if you had to tinker with them every fight.
My bad, they're called tactics in this game, but they work just like the gambits in FF12 did. There's definitely good reason to at least set various skills and passives to not trigger the way they do by default, i.e. many healers will cast their heal at any target below 100% HP, even if it means they'll waste PP on that tank that just took 1 damage from guarding a hit, and any new learned skill will automatically be at the top of the priority list, and in many cases they shouldn't be.

Definitely feels like there's a lot of resource waste in combat when not setting up tactics at all, but it's likely still not needed until the later stages of the game or when fighting enemies that are a lot higher level than you.
People ITT shitting on a masterpiece like XCOM 2: WotC while praising a literal visual novel. The Codex truly is lost.
Who cares. I enjoy the games I enjoy. My enjoyment of games (or dislike of them) isn't based on what people on a rancid internet forum like the codex think. That being said, the codex was lost years before you even joined, so I guess you're somewhat right.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
My bad, they're called tactics in this game, but they work just like the gambits in FF12 did. There's definitely good reason to at least set various skills and passives to not trigger the way they do by default, i.e. many healers will cast their heal at any target below 100% HP, even if it means they'll waste PP on that tank that just took 1 damage from guarding a hit, and any new learned skill will automatically be at the top of the priority list, and in many cases they shouldn't be.

Definitely feels like there's a lot of resource waste in combat when not setting up tactics at all, but it's likely still not needed until the later stages of the game or when fighting enemies that are a lot higher level than you.
Yeah if the difficulty was higher, I'd probably interact more with the tactics. I have done some tactics. Augur never uses one of its attacks by default, and I have set some healers to target at 75% instead of 100%, but sometimes that also means they end combat without using all actions.
The game even has the ability to create 5 presets per class, it's just not necessary.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Who cares. I enjoy the games I enjoy. My enjoyment of games (or dislike of them) isn't based on what people on a rancid internet forum like the codex think. That being said, the codex was lost years before you even joined, so I guess you're somewhat right.
E6J8ZDIVkAAxEmW.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom