Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unicorn Overlord is releasing for Nintendo Switch on March 8, 2024! Wishlist today: https://www.nintendo.com/store/produc...From the creators of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and Odin Sphere, Unicorn Overlord shines in combining overworld exploration and an innovative battle system in the iconic Vanillaware style. Traverse the vibrant world, cultivate a grand army with over 60 uniquely designed characters, and grow your renown throughout the five nations in this unique epic fantasy experience!

EDIT: Also coming to PlayStation and Xbox.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting, looks great stylistically, minus points for the overly gay title but I will check it out. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Looks like a better Disciples game than Disciples: Liberation.

Wanna see more of the combat. When I looked this up a few weeks ago to see what was going on with Vanillaware’s new game, word was it was inspired by Grand Knights History. But watching the trailer I can’t tell if you actually select attacks like in Grand Knights History and RPG, or if it functions more like Ogre Battle.

Knowing this was going to be a fantasy game, I was hoping for a return of the hyper stylized Frank Frazetta look of the regular Dragon’s Crown game, or the Fighting Fantasy inspired look of Dragon's Crown: Treasure of Demon Island.

Athena

Educated
Vanillaware is a very small indie studio. Their wiki page has their number of employees (in 2019) at 29.
I don't get what you're trying to point out. That it's too much effort for them? they create the games using a PC. If anything it's more work having to convert it to every console system under the sun. A PC port is meaningless after that point. Also they have Atlus (and consequently, SEGA) behind them. It's actual money they lose on, because as Elttharion says, those potential costumers are now simply going to emulate the Switch version of the game.

Vanillaware is a very small indie studio. Their wiki page has their number of employees (in 2019) at 29.
I don't get what you're trying to point out. That it's too much effort for them? they create the games using a PC. If anything it's more work having to convert it to every console system under the sun. A PC port is meaningless after that point. Also they have Atlus (and consequently, SEGA) behind them. It's actual money they lose on, because as Elttharion says, those potential costumers are now simply going to emulate the Switch version of the game.

They make fairly low budget games for the Japanese market, and the PC market is still smaller than getting a game any one console. When they were doing 13 Sentinels, I think it was George Kamitani that mentioned Dragon’s Crown was their most expensive game and cost a little over $1,000,000 to make.

Elttharion’s point was stupid. Those potential customers most likely have a PlayStation 4 or Switch.

Elttharion

Learned

They make fairly low budget games for the Japanese market, and the PC market is still smaller than getting a game any one console. When they were doing 13 Sentinels, I think it was George Kamitani that mentioned Dragon’s Crown was their most expensive game and cost a little over $1,000,000 to make.

Elttharion’s point was stupid. Those potential customers most likely have a PlayStation 4 or Switch.
Well, I dont have either of those so I will pirate the game, like I did with 13 Sentinels despite owning all their past games on my vita. They are also porting the game to Xbox, a dead platform on Japan.

Jinn

Arcane
I kind of had some hope that it would make its way to PC since they're porting it to Xbox anyway. Guess we'll see.

Immediately got those Grand Knights History vibes.

Crayll

Liturgist
Really looking forward to this. Vanillaware's gameplay has been getting better too, the combat in 13 Sentinels' wasn't super deep or anything but it was fun enough.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More info at link. (Unicorn Overlord details story, world, characters, and game systems)

What is Unicorn Overlord?

A fresh but nostalgic fantasy tactical RPG.

From the creators of Odin Sphere, Dragon’s Crown, and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim… now celebrating their 20th anniversary!

As ATLUS and Vanillaware’s partnership reaches its 20th anniversary, their next creative challenge is tackling the tactical RPG genre. Embark on a royal adventure and fight alongside trustworthy allies with gorgeous, high-definition graphics, expansive overworld exploration, and innovative tactical battle gameplay–all in classic, Vanillaware style.

Featuring a vibrant world and a timeless tactical strategy experience, the game includes a unique battle system and online battle modes for modern audiences. Unicorn Overlord provides a fresh, nostalgic experience unlike anything that’s come before it.

Story and World

A fallen prince shall rise again, ring of legend lighting his path…

The story takes place on the continent of Fevrith, a land home to five nations—Cornia, Drakenhold, Elheim, Bastorias, and Albion—inhabited not only by humans, but also by other races such as elves, angels, and a race of beastfolk known as bestrals.

ADL

Prophet
2024 and still no PC release fucking hell still waiting to play Dragon's Crown and 13 Sentinels. I'd bet you anything that if they ported their games to PC it would be their best selling platform outside of Japan. Their audience is on PC in the West.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I very much disagree. I do think their games should be on PC, but I do not think that their demographic is there.

Crayll

Liturgist
At the very least, porting to PC makes way more sense than porting to Xbox. Unless console to console ports are super easy, I can't imagine their niche real time tactics JRPG would have more players on Xbox than PC.

I'd like to see an extended gameplay video. From the little we've seen, is the prediction that this plays like Ogre Battle? The maps they've shown so far look quite a bit smaller.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Vanillaware always get my attention. Their games aren't deep or complex, but the gameplay is sound, they have loads of charm, and are great to look at. Maybe the best 2D artists since Nazca.

Last edited:
At the very least, porting to PC makes way more sense than porting to Xbox. Unless console to console ports are super easy, I can't imagine their niche real time tactics JRPG would have more players on Xbox than PC.

I'd like to see an extended gameplay video. From the little we've seen, is the prediction that this plays like Ogre Battle? The maps they've shown so far look quite a bit smaller.

From the link Abu Antar posted it sounds like Ogre Battle once the battle between units starts. Although there’s also the real-time element before the clash.

■ Game Systems

Explore and Battle in Any Order You Want

Players can freely traverse an overworld map to meet and recruit new allies, fight enemies, and liberate and rebuild cities in any order they want.

Where you’ll go next, which routes you’ll take, and which battles you’ll fight are entirely up to you!

Liberating Fevrith

Upon defeating the Zenoiran forces in control of towns and fortresses, law and order will be restored to the land and you’ll gain access to facilities such as armorers and provisioners. Wandering enemies are also defeated, making future exploration even easier.

Battle

Command your troops, defend your command post, and strike at enemy lines!

Within each battle stage, both sides will fight to take each other’s command posts in thrilling real-time combat. You, the commander, must keep a close eye on the situation and make critical decisions like which units to send when or where. Victory is secured once you’ve clear certain conditions, such as defeating the enemy general.

Individual battles begin when your units make contact with the enemy during a battle stage. Coordinate a unit’s tactics in advance with conditions that determine how and when skills will automatically be used. Balance your allies’ classes and skills to form the strongest units for the situation and watch the battle unfold as your characters automatically engage in combat! Adapt and improve your tactics as you learn from the results of each battle.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I very much disagree. I do think their games should be on PC, but I do not think that their demographic is there.
If you build it, pc gamers will come.
I would play the crap out of a PC version of Dragon's Crown without the stupid motion control rune touching gimmick. That game is awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom