Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Reinhardt

Arcane
in the middle of elflands right now. so far it was both easier and harder than previous run. easier because i know already what to expect and what and where to pick. harder because i don't have access to many good soldiers, especially i miss knights, and some quality of life stuff, like vitalize.
i have 5 squads, 6 if you count prince, and all 5 are more or less same level and actively fighting. barely managed to upgrade one group to 5 size. previous run i did it right away after reaching rank a, this time i even had to do some deliveries for honor to afford it. probably because i upgraded almost all my girls, including some generics .

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no units on rank 5. Instead, I used job advancement on as many people as I could. The earlier you class-up, the better your stats will be by the end of the game. Btw, I haven't used any stat enhancing items. Are they permanent?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yup perm
no reason to hoard em unless u want to have more challenge which is not a bad idea

Retardo

Learned
What's the kodex konsensus on this, by the way?
In 20 hours I've cleared all of Hornia except for Galerius domain and Sorm, cleared all the Drakenhold, and started elves, and feeling very bored.
Will it get better?
If you don't like it by then, I think that you can safely skip it. I'm almost at the same place. I have a little bit left of Drakenhold, and then I am off to the elves.

I'm having fun, but if you want a game that makes you want to rip your chest hair off, this is not the one. Around 18 hours in.
Guess I'll drop it and just watch the endings somewhere.
Its not bad nor terrible, but got better shit on my backlog.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm itching to just put cavalary in every unit, the speed difference is insane.
The earlier you class-up, the better your stats will be by the end of the game
Oh man don't do that to me. What are the requirements for a class-up, I'm about to rescue the priestess?
You need renown rank B to unlock the ability to do so. You spend Honors to actually rank up a character. The cost differs fro different characters. Some cost 25, other can cost up to 50.

REhorror

Educated
Apparently Vanillaware is blocking Atlus from porting to PC.

WHAT'S WITH VANILLAWARE DEAL AGAINST PC?

PC IS THE FUTURE, GAWDAMMIT!!!!

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Apparently Vanillaware is blocking Atlus from porting to PC.

WHAT'S WITH VANILLAWARE DEAL AGAINST PC?

PC IS THE FUTURE, GAWDAMMIT!!!!
They probably think y'all black because you keep playing their games for free. Asians are notoreously racist towards the negro man.

Reinhardt

Arcane
george thinks big nosed pigdogs can't appreciate his art. i blame schreier pigdog for this.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I feel all the "game isn't that difficult" moments would be fixed if the game didn't have battle predictions. But knowing which fights to take and which ones to avoid makes the game a lot easier, especially since you can typically out-maneuver them with the AoE gryphon mobility buff.

Still having a great time with it. It's a real shame Vanillaware is so anti-PC, mods could make this game one of the best in a decade. I lowkey regret downloading the patch, apparently the day-1 patch nerfed all difficulties so the original version should have a higher base difficulty, it seems.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I feel all the "game isn't that difficult" moments would be fixed if the game didn't have battle predictions.
this. after some point you don't even look at enemy composition, just if red bar is long enough.
system is here - in arena there is no combat prediction. just add it to main game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The game just seems very flat when it comes to the strategy aspect. Either you curbstomp the enemy squad or not, it's determined by the squads you go in with so during the battles you've either got the forces to win or not. If not, you quit and send in different squads until you have ones that will win. Then it's just going through the motions.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The game just seems very flat when it comes to the strategy aspect. Either you curbstomp the enemy squad or not, it determined by the squads you go in with so during the battles you've either got the forces to win or not. If not, you quit and send in different squads until you have ones that will win. Then it's just going through the motions.

It's a bit of a staple in these types of games though, you would have to fix level and xp distribution to some extent to make it go aways.

In Ogrebattle it's incredibly easy to just curbstomp everything and they have that shitty (because it's intransparent) Chaos-frame system. Still better than level scaling though.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i wonder if i could make useful full elf team. there is exactly 5 girls - enough for full squad but i can't see how exactly they could work together.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
The game just seems very flat when it comes to the strategy aspect. Either you curbstomp the enemy squad or not, it's determined by the squads you go in with so during the battles you've either got the forces to win or not. If not, you quit and send in different squads until you have ones that will win. Then it's just going through the motions.
There's plenty of consumables to change things in your favor though. Many fights that were a losing battle for me, were turned around by utilizing valor powers or consumables that disabled assist attacks or gave other kinds of buffs. Mines and Barricades can be quite useful to delay enemies if you're in a pinch and need to redeploy a different team, and you can always change formations without having to re-do the stage, or change tactics before each combat.

It's just that once you hit around level 20 and get your promoted units, it's fairly easy to make some death squads due to some of the unique units being incredibly powerful.

Still easily a 9/10 game in my book though, with the story obviously being by far the weakest part.

Reinhardt

Arcane
that's why zenoiran should be available from the start. 5 items limit would be much harsher restriction while playing first time than now, when i know what surprises to expect. i usually save them for stamina to be able to retreat if something happens.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The earlier you class-up, the better your stats will be by the end of the game.
Are you sure about this? It's insane.
I feel all the "game isn't that difficult" moments would be fixed if the game didn't have battle predictions.
It really wouldn't. You would have to pay a bit more attention to enemy formations, but ultimately getting a feeling for what the end result should be really isn't that hard. The main thing it would solve is RNG shopping, since if you have multiple units in proximity you can swap them around for one with good rolls. But it honestly doesn't come up very often unless you've already basically won a map.

notpl

Arbiter
Classing up immediately increases a character's stats, so I don't think you handicap yourself by doing it at one level rather than another. I think it takes different growth rates into account and increases stats accordingly no matter when you do it.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It really wouldn't. You would have to pay a bit more attention to enemy formations, but ultimately getting a feeling for what the end result should be really isn't that hard. The main thing it would solve is RNG shopping, since if you have multiple units in proximity you can swap them around for one with good rolls. But it honestly doesn't come up very often unless you've already basically won a map.
It would force you to use consumables for healing/resurrecting much more often, whereas with the current system you can typically avoid losses altogether. You basically never use rest or garrisoning units for healing or resurrection purposes, and I think thats largely due to you being able to predict (and avoid) the damage you will be taking. This ends up resulting in finishing most of the mid and lategame missions without getting even remotely close to the time-limit, as you just steamroll through enemies one by one. There's no back and forth on the map, or a "hold this spot for a while while we recover" moment after taking over a garrison, you just keep pushing forward while taking barely any damage. It also leads to Valor largely being used to speed up the mission, so Swap/Teleport and Mobility buffs are the only ones you really use. There's no holding up enemies with Barricades or dropping a Gravity Well+Blaze on them to soften up enemies, it's simply not needed.

I do agree that the RNG rerolling is a weird system, especially when you do less damage after activating a ranged or magic assist. But once again, this wouldn't be something I'd actually notice if I wouldn't be able to see the exact result of turning these things on/off.

Crayll

Liturgist
The story is fine as a vehicle for the action and characters, but it's definitely the weak point. If it had been on the level of Triangle Strategy or Tactics Ogre this would be a nearly perfect game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom