Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Reinhardt

Arcane
i wouldn't call 1 "a lot". and girl knight with row heal certainly helps keeping your flying girls alive,
It's like 2 killed units worth of valor, and the same cost as deploying a whole 'nother squad (ie instead of a single squad swapping in and out of flying, just have a flier and a cav).
in later missions 50-60 kills is normal
+capturing forts and other objects bring many valor. and that's exactly what they will do - capture.
also just one word - balistas. this alone justifies bringing cavalry girl for speed and heal.

Reinhardt

Arcane
fuck, i forgot i need to field prince and actually use him in combat to impress and recruit melisandre...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea, you need to use retarded prince because it's story about him.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I googled what true zenoiran does:

"It increases enemy HP by about 15-20%, enemy offenses by about 10% compared to expert. For some reason defenses are reduced by like 5%, I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended because of the higher HP"

"Hallowed Corne Ash is replaced by Luminous Corne Ash"
so u can use luminous ashes to bring back dead party members (whole squad needs to be killed)
I never used hallowed ashes (2 valor each use) think u get 30+ of those

also item limit per mission from 10->5 which is significant. items are too powerful / easy to get

so yeah Im kinda sad I "ruined" my first playthrough with journalist difficulty but even ng+ difficulty sounds easy

also valor management is whatever u get shitload of those every mission after a while

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I googled what true zenoiran does:

"It increases enemy HP by about 15-20%, enemy offenses by about 10% compared to expert. For some reason defenses are reduced by like 5%, I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended because of the higher HP"

"Hallowed Corne Ash is replaced by Luminous Corne Ash"
so u can use luminous ashes to bring back dead party members (whole squad needs to be killed)
I never used hallowed ashes (2 valor each use) think u get 30+ of those

also item limit per mission from 10->5 which is significant. items are too powerful / easy to get

so yeah Im kinda sad I "ruined" my first playthrough with journalist difficulty but even ng+ difficulty sounds easy

also valor management is whatever u get shitload of those every mission after a while
They needed to reduce defenses to compensate for higher HP, otherwise some classes would just bounce.

Nirvash

Liturgist
1710251498469790.jpg

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
1710262841545.png

this one is a guy btw :positive:

There's a limit to how many consumables you can use per mission? I had no idea.
yeah I noticed this late game when spamming revive items to trash squad

also I mentioned I was going to write about class balance but game is too easy so no point. swordman is probably the weakest one

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
sure cut out the trash squad part :hmmm:

I mentioned it before I had 4 good squads and 4 meh/trash ones and mid-end game was pretty much soloable with main squad
deploying others was mainly for making gameplay more enjoyable

notpl

Arbiter
I noticed this late game when spamming revive items
game is too easy
:nocountryforshitposters:

The game is too easy, though. A true zenoiran run with no items, no valor actions, and limited promotions would probably be just difficult enough, going to try that for a second playthrough. Maybe do a mercs-only run as well.
Mercs-only seems like it should make the game easier, rather than harder, since unique NPCs have no special stat advantages over generics (and in fact you can freely customize the generics' stats, making them more useful) and generics can be any combination of classes, whereas with unique NPCs you only get one of some of the strongest classes in the game like wyvern rider.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Mercs-only seems like it should make the game easier, rather than harder, since unique NPCs have no special stat advantages over generics (and in fact you can freely customize the generics' stats, making them more useful) and generics can be any combination of classes, whereas with unique NPCs you only get one of some of the strongest classes in the game like wyvern rider.
Some classes are NPC unique though, aren't they? Alain, Berengaria, Ochlys, Elf Augur, Virginia...
And those tend to be quite good. But there are also weak ones like Lex where it's fine to do without. Merc only does seem like a challenge run to me. Probably not enough to make the game truly hard.

Reinhardt

Arcane
ochlys is not unique class. just regular orthodoxy soldier. there is even another named sword angel girl in that class.

Reinhardt

Arcane
basically each generic class has at least 1 named character... except most basic one - male spearman. technicaly there is one named character, but he's postgame only. so yes there is also at least one case of "generic only". named knights are da best - there is 4 of them to recruit.

Retardo

Learned
basically each generic class has at least 1 named character... except most basic one - male spearman. technicaly there is one named character, but he's postgame only. so yes there is also at least one case of "generic only". named knights are da best - there is 4 of them to recruit.
so, there is postgame?

Retardo

Learned
What's the kodex konsensus on this, by the way?
In 20 hours I've cleared all of Hornia except for Galerius domain and Sorm, cleared all the Drakenhold, and started elves, and feeling very bored.
Will it get better?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Is the English version as cringe as they say? Apparently the localizers did a shit job and started talking about the 1980s in a fantasy game?
that screen in gg thread is from another game they worked on before.
i'd say it's not completely terrible. text is much more flowery than what they talk in japanese but from my limited knowledge it's mostly correct. also no mentions of gamergate. problems start in elven lands - they just added lots of strange words for elven speak where in japanese they speak like normal people.

fuck, enemy wyvern pigdog just ninjaed my command post in liberation quest. did dragoon dive behind my characters and rushed for victory...

Reinhardt

Arcane
it's supposed to be bait for rebel army. enemy stops attacking them shortly after mission starts and resumes only after you getting closer. allied squad survived though barely but because they stationed in fort they healed back to full health by the time enemy decides they outlived their usefulness.
The key here is "enemy stops attacking them shortly after mission starts," which simply is not the case. A wyvern rider rams into them over and over, winning every time, until they die.

I eventually got it by making an all-horse unit rather than flyers, since they're significantly faster than a flyer even accounting for terrain detours in this case.
again knight holds just fine, i even made detour to campfire. lots of spare time.
o8uqwaY.png

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It's incredibly easy, not that I have much time to play. But so far it's fun, I merely got to the point where you can challenge the mages or the Archer mission and went with the mage on which was still a relative cakewalk.

But I am also not sure how they would improve difficulty apart from boring number bloat.

notpl

Arbiter
it's supposed to be bait for rebel army. enemy stops attacking them shortly after mission starts and resumes only after you getting closer. allied squad survived though barely but because they stationed in fort they healed back to full health by the time enemy decides they outlived their usefulness.
The key here is "enemy stops attacking them shortly after mission starts," which simply is not the case. A wyvern rider rams into them over and over, winning every time, until they die.

I eventually got it by making an all-horse unit rather than flyers, since they're significantly faster than a flyer even accounting for terrain detours in this case.
again knight holds just fine, i even made detour to campfire. lots of spare time.
o8uqwaY.png
The wyvern rider there having 0 stamina is the key - that means it wasn't able to kill the knight's party before it exhausted its stamina. I think there's some element of randomness to this, because the wyvern rider was wiping him out on the second or third battle the first few times I tried that mission.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Isn't chloe identical to a spearman?
But I am also not sure how they would improve difficulty apart from boring number bloat.
Could add more points on the map you have to hold, or allies you have to get to and keep alive. Could give enemies larger squad sizes. Both in formation and making them move on the battlefield in groups.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the kodex konsensus on this, by the way?
In 20 hours I've cleared all of Hornia except for Galerius domain and Sorm, cleared all the Drakenhold, and started elves, and feeling very bored.
Will it get better?
If you don't like it by then, I think that you can safely skip it. I'm almost at the same place. I have a little bit left of Drakenhold, and then I am off to the elves.

I'm having fun, but if you want a game that makes you want to rip your chest hair off, this is not the one. Around 18 hours in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom