Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I remember the Masari campaign being quite a slog. I liked the Dark Crusade esque map, but the missions themselves were pretty repetitive and it was easy to get into a stalemate. I also thought the Masari themselves weren't as interesting as the Novus or the Hierarchy (which were my favorite).

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Both of you go play Beyond All Reason if you want that, it is even a free new game. CnC was never a game for old people.
First of all - define "old" and place yourself on the scale. Then we can talk about who's old here.

Secondly:
I don't think they're necessarily aiming for that though, more that the game in the video is being played more for demonstration purposes and at "normal" speed. Go play Red Alert with the speed on Normal and not Faster/Fastest, it's about as slow.
In the terms of standard gaming old is 50+ , in esports it is 30+

Quatlo

Arcane

Looks sluggish as fuck, units phase through eachother randomly (I guess thats a way to "fix" pathfinding), troopers are xboxhueg and since they have no turrets they just pivot in place to hit stuff, camera is so close you can barely see shit. Combat visuals are fun with tank recoiling with each shot etc, but thats the only thing I'm enjoying.
Grey Goo tier.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Looks sluggish as fuck, units phase through eachother randomly (I guess thats a way to "fix" pathfinding), troopers are xboxhueg and since they have no turrets they just pivot in place to hit stuff, camera is so close you can barely see shit. Combat visuals are fun with tank recoiling with each shot etc, but thats the only thing I'm enjoying.
Grey Goo tier.

Looks alright to me.
Not groundbreaking, but definitely good enough to give it a go.

But I do hope you can zoom out further, that really is extremely close.
Games used to do that because of limited PC performance - but that should no longer be an issue.
I could imagine them zooming in more for demonstration purposes, but who knows.

And the non-rotating tank turrets?
Yeah, that's weird. I wonder if that is on purpose and will remain that way or if it's just not implemented fully yet.

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It feels like the specific C&C game "feel" they're aiming for here is Tiberian Sun, which was easily the slowest paced of the franchise.

It just looks honestly annoying. They were also playing it like 50 year old men, fully mouse driven, etc., but nothing I saw looked in any way interesting, just more "drive tank around, press button to deploy tank into gun platform".

Also their "Tempest Ecology" is just a really flowery way of explaining exactly how Tiberium always worked, except with more graphical flair. Do the vines even serve as a terrain hazard like Tiberium does?
Seeing as Tiberian Sun was the absolute pinnacle of the entire franchise you would hope that to be the case yes. But TS was not "slow" you fucking retard.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you allow yourself to dream back and conjure the image of Tiberian Sun in your mind, GDI does actually appear to be sluggishly steadfast. However in reality it's an action game. Especially Nod light vehicles are very versatile and traverse the terrain at extraordinary speed.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It also has a speed slider so it can be slow as a crawl or faster than any human could handle.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I'm starved of C&C content anyway. Wishlisted. If the Evil Aquatic corporation won't give us what we went, then I welcome any other devs who try to.

Quatlo

Arcane

From our friend Hexenkraft comes the latest visualizer from the Tempest Rising OST. "Ignition".

I'm so fucking tired of djent being everywhere, I hate this genre and I hate how everything now sounds like Nu-Doom ripoff. How to make music pseudo "dynamic" and "heavy" by doing the same shit all the time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1486920/view/6575871026897025584

Tempest Rising - Playable Preview OUT NOW
Today, we are excited to announce that we've dropped a Playable Preview available now during the THQ Nordic Showcase!

You can check out the trailer here.
Inspired by the all-time classics of the RTS genre, we want to give players full command of their armies as they build up their bases, lead their units into battle, and execute bold strategies to win. And you can preview that right now.

Tempest Rising’s new playable Steam preview is available until Aug. 28, 2023. It features the full first single-player mission of the Global Defense Forces (GDF) campaign, as they go up against the lethal Tempest Dynasty, as well as the dangers growing unchecked across a war-torn planet Earth. Players will be introduced to five playable GDF unit types, from the Drone Operator to the Sentinel Scout Car, plus six enemy types.

For more updates:

Follow Tempest Rising on Twitter here.

Follow 3D Realms and Slipgate Ironworks as well. Make sure you let us know how much you enjoyed the Playable Preview.

We also have a growing community over on Discord, and we can't wait to see you there.

By our blood, we thank you for supporting Tempest Rising.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
He is such a noob lol. Game looks alright but so much seems outdated after playing Supreme Commander / FA / BAR.

Suicidal

Arcane
The demo was really short, too short to get a proper feel for the game. Only 1 mission where you get to build like 4 units.

Seems like a decent C&C-like. Not gonna break any new ground, but will probably be good enough to scratch that itch. Pretty rough around the edges so far - i didn't like how sluggish the unit movement was and there were some eyesore things like drones flying through elevated terrain instead of over it. Hopefully they iron it out.

I quite like the art style. Seems like a middle ground between C&C3 and Red Alert 3. Both are games that I like, but C&C 3 was too brown & grey with tiny infantry units that sometimes were difficult to see because they blended with the terrain and Red Alert 3 was too cartoony where every unit looked like a plastic toy, albeit very distinct and recognizable.

Not sure if it's gonna be D1P worthy. Depends on how big and fun the campaign will be.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
1st mission plays well, they def got the c&c feel right. hopefully the campaign has some actual army customization options, hard to get used to not having any after starcraft 2. should be standard feature in all new RTS

ArchAngel

Arcane
1st mission plays well, they def got the c&c feel right. hopefully the campaign has some actual army customization options, hard to get used to not having any after starcraft 2. should be standard feature in all new RTS
There is a button Doctrine on main screen. I am hoping it is something like C&C Generals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom