Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

deuxhero

Arcane
I thought this was a 40k game.

bjNL4HM.png

Trithne

Erudite
I thought the GDF logo looked familiar:

kJ70McH.png

Gs6ZAht.png

Therefore I have to conclude this game takes place in the Ion Maiden timeline, because they don't own the rights to Duke's EDF.

Edit: In before they reveal Bombshell as the GDF's commando.

MuffinBun

Educated
Looks cool so far. Since rts is a failed genre, the success of this will depend on how little rts it has in it; just like with other games. The CoH series in a prime example: it has in-depth infantry tactics and decent vehicle combat; it focuses on unit preservation - in a perfect scenario you will not rebuild anything, and just keep adding to the experienced roster. It is a successful rts because it is barely an rts - base building and management are brushed to the side; soldiers are not just another resource, and tactics take precedent over build order.

It seems like the guys making this at least get a hint, because you can tell they're banking on strong lore and even some rpg elements(I see campaign dialogue choices). But gameplay seems typical to older rtses, so I dont know if they'll be able to compensate for that. There's a reason these dont get made; whatever made you interested in them is probably done better in a different genre.

Alpharius

Scholar
this will suck

Still gonna get it, it's a RTS after all those years...
A new C&C clone comes almost every year i think.
Imo they all fail because C&C got old decades ago.
For an average RTS enjoyer the usual campaign missions they make in these kind of games are too easy and MP is like Stacraft with less strategy and more APM requirements, so why not play Starcraft instead? Not to mention no one will bother with balance patches once its clear that the MP is half-dead.

Alpharius

Scholar
What? Where?
I don't remember any RTS with decent campaign in many years. Last decent game was probably Grey Goo.
It doesn't have to have a decent campaign to be a C&C clone now does it? Other than Grey Goo, the last ones i remember are Act of Aggression and Forged Battalion. I think there was another one announced not long ago but i've forgot how it is called.
Perhaps i've overestimated their number but still i wouldn't say that there is a lack of C&C-like games being made.
There is certainly a lack of Starcraft clones, Warcraft clones and Supreme Commander\Total Annihilation clones though. Company of heroes-like and Wargame-like RTS are barely being made, only because the studios that made the original games are still at it.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
What? Where?
I don't remember any RTS with decent campaign in many years. Last decent game was probably Grey Goo.
It doesn't have to have a decent campaign to be a C&C clone now does it? Other than Grey Goo, the last ones i remember are Act of Aggression and Forged Battalion. I think there was another one announced not long ago but i've forgot how it is called.
Perhaps i've overestimated their number but still i wouldn't say that there is a lack of C&C-like games being made.
There is certainly a lack of Starcraft clones, Warcraft clones and Supreme Commander\Total Annihilation clones though. Company of heroes-like and Wargame-like RTS are barely being made, only because the studios that made the original games are still at it.

There are actually more modern TA clones than there are C&C clones, though:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/386070/Planetary_Annihilation_TITANS/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/334920/ZeroK/
https://www.beyondallreason.info/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/507490/Ashes_of_the_Singularity_Escalation/ (Not sure about this one, but from the screenshots it seems to have a similar resource gatheting/building system and people in the reviews are saying it plays like a simpler version of SupCom)

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
What? Where?

There are actually more modern TA clones than there are C&C clones, though:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/386070/Planetary_Annihilation_TITANS/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/334920/ZeroK/
https://www.beyondallreason.info/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/507490/Ashes_of_the_Singularity_Escalation/ (Not sure about this one, but from the screenshots it seems to have a similar resource gatheting/building system and people in the reviews are saying it plays like a simpler version of SupCom)
Planetary annihilation came out forever ago, and was doomed from the start by maps being planets imo.
Thanks, didn't know about ZeroK and that other game in alpha. Perhaps you are right.
Zero-K looks kinda alive according to steamcharts, gonna check it out.

Anomander

Educated
What? Where?
Yeah, but C&C was popular because of the campaigns. Sure, gameplay too, but without campaigns nobody would remember it now. I don't know if multi was possible, but anyway I don't know anyone who played C&C in multi. It was played because of the campaigns. So clones wihtout good campaign are doomed from the start.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I can't think of a single recent C&C clone that was good, or at least as good as C&C3. Petroglyph is often named when it comes to C&C like games, but I found all of their attempts disappointing. A good new game would be more than welcome. Updated graphics and AI are all that is needed to get my attention in the case of a new C&C-style game. But I'm also reserved. The last rts games that I tried, Dawn of War 3 and Iron Harvest, were disappointing. The genre hasn't offered much lately, besides remakes and AoE4.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah, but C&C was popular because of the campaigns. Sure, gameplay too, but without campaigns nobody would remember it now. I don't know if multi was possible, but anyway I don't know anyone who played C&C in multi. It was played because of the campaigns. So clones wihtout good campaign are doomed from the start.
I remember in the long long ago the modem screeching as it came to life so I could play Command and Conquer Gold with a friend from middle school.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's nonsense anyway, since there have been quite a few of RTS those last years.
Just step out of your box every now and again and check out the indies.

Anyway, as long as the campaign is good, I'll give it a go for sure.

Keshik

Arcane
Yeah, will keep an eye on it, but SC hasnt been beaten yet.
By SC you mean Supreme Commander, of course ?

The music sounds like someone trying to mimic Klepacki but not quite hitting it for me, but whatever it is trailer music. This looks like it might be fun, though.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I dont even know this game but you are really a piece of work Infinitron

Grimoire - too expensive
Underrail - took too long to ship
now this game is "totally not a clone" (yet everyone in the thread seems to like it)

Well, faggot, judging by the pattern this will turn out to be pure incline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom