Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

Trithne

Erudite
Yes. Horrible butchering of Liet Kynes aside, it's a good game imo.
I thought it's boring. I will have to play it again once it's out of Early Access.
I don't fault anyone for thinking that, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's best played on 1.5 times speed though, once you're familiar with all the things you need to do. Early game can be a bit of a waiting game, but once a match gets into the midgame it can actually get quite involved and endgame even hectic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Shieldmaiden is one of the GDF's key pillars of air defense. @Waywardstrategist is here with us to explain it's role, utility and how you can best use this unit to reinforce your tactical approach.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
New website with loads of info: https://tempestrising.com/

e:

Logo for the third faction!

unknown-f54f9dc2.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lore junkies, unite! We've put together an official website for Tempest Rising. Contained inside, lots of information about units, weapons and artillery from the GDF and Tempest Dynasty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

A lot of you have speculated, and we at 3D Realms are here to confirm: the legendary composer of Command and Conquer Frank Klepacki is with us to work on the Tempest Rising official soundtrack.

Check out this Frank Klepacki reveal, provided exclusively for Realms Deep.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

If you watched Realms Deep 2023, you already know that we've announced the Legend, himself; Frank Klepacki is on the soundtrack.

And we've decided to drop a track you can expect, straight from the colossal OST.

Presenting: "Leading the Assault" by Frank Klepacki.

Get in.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hilarious how much more like an actual C&C track this sounds compared to the imitations they presented before lol.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Frank was also contracted to compose music for Stormgate. No clue why aside from him being the only “notable” RTS music composer. The memberberries work for a C&C clone, but he was never involved with Blizz.

New website with loads of info: https://tempestrising.com/

e:

Logo for the third faction!

unknown-f54f9dc2.png
So an ancient civilization locked in stasis until the apocalypse? Guess I got bingo.

Bombshell and Tempest Rising is in the same setting.

Is that connection actually relevant to how the IP will play out going forward or is it irrelevant trivia like how Blackmoor and Mystara were connected? There are no tempest vines in the Bombshell games IIRC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, it's old news:

FAQ on the Steam page:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1486920/view/3332122231343558007
Tempest Rising Official FAQ

How come GDF seems close to GDI? Which universe does Tempest Rising take place in?

This is a good question, and purely a coincidence.

Tempest Rising takes place in the same universe as several other 3D Realms games (Such as Ion Fury). The GDF is the leading faction in many of these games, and the name and logo was designed in its original incarnation, all the way back in 1995.

Tempest Rising takes place around 100 years before Ion Fury, following many events leading up to the rise of Dr. Jadus Heskel, and might even answer some questions about Shelly Harrison’s background.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought GDF was in Quake 2&4 and thus in the Id universe of games. 3dRealms had EDF in Duke Nukem. What old 3dRealms games are they regering to that goes all the way back to 1995?

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I thought GDF was in Quake 2&4 and thus in the Id universe of games. 3dRealms had EDF in Duke Nukem. What old 3dRealms games are they regering to that goes all the way back to 1995?
What? Quake is owned by Bethesda. Tempest Rising and Bombshell is a separate IP.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
What? Quake is owned by Bethesda. Tempest Rising and Bombshell is a separate IP.
That was what I was saying.

The topic of the discussion is GDF and I was saying that GDF is present in the Quake sequels. In Duke Nukem it's called EDF.

Let's just Google it and find out.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
That was what I was saying.

The topic of the discussion is GDF and I was saying that GDF is present in the Quake sequels. In Duke Nukem it's called EDF.

Let's just Google it and find out.
The GDF was already in Bombshell. It wasn’t designed as a pastiche of GDI.

Trithne

Erudite
3d Realms doesn't own Duke anymore, Gearbox does, so they can't use the EDF as portrayed in Duke.

The GDF is present quite a lot in Ion Fury, and was in Bombshell, as a totally-legally-distinct entity from the EDF.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Can nobody read?! In Infinitrons quote above it's stated that GDF has a history in games by 3dRealms dating back all the way to 1995. And I was wondering what game/s that was since Duke Nukem had EDF.

The topic is GDF as you don't seem to understand.

e: Just to clarify further I know GDF was in Bombshell, that's what led to this discussion in the first place. Why can't you just read my posts?

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
I see what you're saying.

D3D wasn't even out in 1995, so even if they're just claiming that the EDF and GDF are the same thing, it still doesn't work.

This wouldn't be the first time 3d realms spoke out of their arse though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom