Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enough with shit soundtracks and images, I want to see more gameplay already.

Classic RTS is as notorious for it's competitive multiplayer scene as it is for its base building. Join us to check out an early PVP showdown between Brandon @Waywardstrategist and lead gameplay designer and Fred Schreiber, game director and CEO of 3D Realms.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Graphics looks great. But making rts game in 2023 with only 1 resource should be punishable by law.
I take it you never played Command and Conquer, which is what Tempest Rising explicitly set out to mimic.

Although, they don't seem to do a good job of it? It looks more like Starcraft 2 than CnC.
I don't see the tanks dealing reduced damage to infantry, which was a core part of the CnC's mechanics. In fact damage output seems rather low for a CnC game.
It seems you can run over infantry though, which is good. I just managed to catch that.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Graphics looks great. But making rts game in 2023 with only 1 resource should be punishable by law.
I take it you never played Command and Conquer, which is what Tempest Rising explicitly set out to mimic.

Although, they don't seem to do a good job of it? It looks more like Starcraft 2 than CnC.
I don't see the tanks dealing reduced damage to infantry, which was a core part of the CnC's mechanics. In fact damage output seems rather low for a CnC game.
It seems you can run over infantry though, which is good. I just managed to catch that.
It looks and plays nothing like SC2. This is even slower than any CnC game I ever played.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played red alert 1-3, and most of c&c series. I aways considered 1 resource as major flaw in those series.
tiberium is as valuable as salt was thousands of years ago - it is more valuable than *gold* in the tiberium universe. it makes sense for it to be used as a transaction medium in order to buy things - you can just give defense contractors a whole lot of processed tiberum and they'll just give you whatever you desire

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Speed seems fine for me, but then I'm
rating_oldman.png

I have to say, something just looks and feels off. though. It seems the tanks have the same exact movement pattern as the inf, turning on a dime for example. The 3D environment looks a bit flat too. The whole thing feels a bit cheap, and not in the budget sense.

Edit:
The unit scale also seems funky. The fighting does not look very spectacular. The sprites from older C&C seem better, it has no dramatic effect to it.. Also, the later stages so far seem to be all about tank spam.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
rating_oldman.png

I have to say, something just looks and feels off. though. It seems the tanks have the same exact movement pattern as the inf, turning on a dime for example. The 3D environment looks a bit flat too. The whole thing feels a bit cheap, and not in the budget sense.

Edit:
The unit scale also seems funky. The fighting does not look very spectacular. The sprites from older C&C seem better, it has no dramatic effect to it.. Also, the later stages so far seem to be all about tank spam.
To be fair, tank spam was also what RA2 boiled down to.
But yeah, there's something off with the models. They aren't as bad as RA3, but it's close.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rating_oldman.png

Edit:
To be fair, tank spam was also what RA2 boiled down to.
But yeah, there's something off with the models. They aren't as bad as RA3, but it's close.
True. The match lasted 90 minutes, so maybe there were some inf skirmishes in between we didn't get to see.

Trithne

Erudite
It feels like the specific C&C game "feel" they're aiming for here is Tiberian Sun, which was easily the slowest paced of the franchise.

It just looks honestly annoying. They were also playing it like 50 year old men, fully mouse driven, etc., but nothing I saw looked in any way interesting, just more "drive tank around, press button to deploy tank into gun platform".

Also their "Tempest Ecology" is just a really flowery way of explaining exactly how Tiberium always worked, except with more graphical flair. Do the vines even serve as a terrain hazard like Tiberium does?

Suicidal

Arcane
I like what I'm seeing but some things seem off, like how vehicles clip through each other when moving or how some shots don't seem to have any visual impact (the laser tank's beam just goes collides with its target and there's no sparks flying at the impact point or anything, it just disappears). Have they given a release date for this game yet? Hopefully stuff like this can be ironed out by then.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There are a few things I liked in that vid, primarily the spotting mechanics when going uphill. Vehicles being able to roll through trees is another, and also unit models changing based on damage taken.

Looks pretty "vanilla" but after all the retardo "innovative" RTSes we got in recent time, I'll take any vanilla with open arms, as long as it's not as dreadfully boring as Grey Goo. It might just be decent.

Trithne

Erudite
combat and game is way too slow. Are they making this for 50 year olds?
One would hope so.
I suck at these games, so it being slow is a big boon for me :lol:
Yeah, you don't have to be old to appreciate a more deliberate gameplay.
I don't think they're necessarily aiming for that though, more that the game in the video is being played more for demonstration purposes and at "normal" speed. Go play Red Alert with the speed on Normal and not Faster/Fastest, it's about as slow.

A more deliberately measured "slow" RTS is something like Spice Wars, although that can be played at faster speeds too, but the game is designed to be less APM crunchy click hell, whereas this will probably turn into that in big fights at higher speeds due to the presence of activated unit abilities.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
True, most people actually play Command and Conquer on Fast, which would give the impression that it's fast gameplay.
Yeah, I do hope that the game doesn't end up like Grey Goo.
I wanted to like it, but it was so boring. Petroglyph made better.
Bring back Universe at War already.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They had some really interesting ideas with Universe At War.
How the races were almost entirely different to play was truly remarkable.
I don't know if any other RTS ever had something as distinct as the Goo race, for example.

But one issue was - and that happens often in Sci-Fi titles especially - that you couldn't tell at a glance which unit is what. Units all kind of blended together into an indistinc mass you'd sling at the opponent.
Especially for the Goo faction, all units just looked pretty much the same - not very clever unit design there.
Another that they clearly wanted to offer a great campaign, but just totally failed at it. Good idea, terrible storytelling and pacing.

And then they of course tried to focus on the online crowd, but the game released not ready for that at all. Could've easily needed half a year more of thorough testing, balancing (especially with such asymmetric factions) and optimization for that. And of course it was really buggy...
While they simultaneously let down the single player people by not offering anything of replay value.

Trithne

Erudite
How the races were almost entirely different to play was truly remarkable, for example.

But one issue was - and that happens often in Sci-Fi titles especially - that you couldn't tell at a glance which unit is what. Units all kind of blended together into an indistinc mass you'd sling at the opponent.
Another that they clearly wanted to offer a great campaign, but just totally failed at it. Good idea, terrible storytelling.

And then they of course tried to focus on the online crowd, but the game released not ready for that at all. Could've easily needed half a year more of thorough testing, balancing (especially with such asymmetric factions) and optimization for that. And of course it was really buggy...
While they simultaneously let down the single player people by not offering anything of replay value.
The Masari also weren't meant to be there initially - SEGA requested they add another faction as they felt an RTS with 2 factions would not sell (They may well be right, tbh). Really did like the ways that the 2 intended factions (Hierarchy and Novus) both had a lot of really well streamlined ways to get around the map quickly, but the Masari felt pretty undercooked in comparison.

I also think not having a human faction may have been a mistake, although I liked it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Harthwain

Magister
Both of you go play Beyond All Reason if you want that, it is even a free new game. CnC was never a game for old people.
First of all - define "old" and place yourself on the scale. Then we can talk about who's old here.

Secondly:
I don't think they're necessarily aiming for that though, more that the game in the video is being played more for demonstration purposes and at "normal" speed. Go play Red Alert with the speed on Normal and not Faster/Fastest, it's about as slow.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I remember highly enjoying the first two thirds of the sp campaign, but the third part (with the light/dark side units) really stalled out with the generic missions. No idea if it was any good in mp, I can only assume the balance was pretty poor.

As for grey goo, all the units in that felt really generic to me. The goo not really having a base was a neat idea though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom