Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

3D Realms presents the latest Tempest Rising visualizer: Strike and Retreat.

Tempest Rising has many composers across its OST, each one contributing a unique spirit to the game's official soundtrack. Strike and Retreat is a track composed by, Hexenkraft, a name many of you may know around the community.

It's ok I guess.
Sort of reminds me of Tiberian Sun's soundtrack with how mellow it is.
I hope there are punchier tracks though, like in Tiberian Dawn

CnC1 had so many crazy tracks... An absolute soundtrack masterpiece.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

3D Realms presents the latest Tempest Rising visualizer: A Distant God.

Tempest Rising has many composers across its OST, each one contributing a unique spirit to the game's official soundtrack. A Distant God is a track composed by Sigurd Jøhnk-Jensen, a veteran composer throughout multiple mediums.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

3D Realms presents the latest Tempest Rising visualizer: A Distant God.

Tempest Rising has many composers across its OST, each one contributing a unique spirit to the game's official soundtrack. A Distant God is a track composed by Sigurd Jøhnk-Jensen, a veteran composer throughout multiple mediums.

Pretty boring.

You can find this kind of ambient music for free.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wrote a blog post about some concerns I'm having with the game. Not uploaded it yet, but thought I should be of some interest here maybe. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it feels like the devs have too many eggs in the basket.

I, like many others, am patiently waiting for Tempest Rising since it looks like a nice shot at doing a revival for the RTS genre. But who is even making this game? I sat on the loo and decided to check out some info on the phone about the game as you do, and I quickly noticed that it has two different developers. Not a great start I would say, a game split between two devs – how does that even work design-wise? Is it collaboration through and through, or one design, and the other do the technical?

The devs behind the game are Slipgate Ironworks and 2B Games. Slipgate Ironworks have four releases under their belt, but only two with positive reviews on Steam – Ghostrunner, and Rad Rodgers: World One. The issue here is that Ghostrunner while having a good rating it’s another collaborative game, and Rad Rodgers only has 77 votes at an 82% rating, which makes it not exactly popular. Then they have Graven which is an Early Access title that sits on mixed reviews. It does look awesome, and it has caught my eye before, but it seems to have serious trouble when it comes to gameplay. It might just be me, but shouldn’t stuff be finished before you start working on new titles? Anyway, the other one is called Bombshell, and I remember it being marketed as some kind of Duke Nukem thing, but with a female protagonist. It was all a bit cringe, and it rests at 60% with 183 votes. So, not the most impressive track record, unfortunately. However, it does show they can make games, but not make them very exciting to play, except for Ghostrunner. We have no idea what they worked on here, though, and they are ranked third place over devs that worked on the game.

This is not the most concerning thing when it comes to Slipgate. While they have one Early Access game in the works currently, their Steam page is filled with upcoming games, Tempest Rising included. They have seven whole games listed there with Steam pages, and most are set to come out soon, or this year. I’m getting shovelware vibes here, which does not fill with me confidence that they truly want to make the best RTS since forever. I would love to be proven wrong, but having the devs scattered on so many projects can’t be good.

What about 2B Games? They have not released anything on Steam yet, but are listed for two games, Tempest Rising and Warpaws. And wouldn’t you know it! Warpaws is one of the seven games Slipgate is working on. From checking out their website you get greeted by the usual – multi years veterans, and so on, but the studio does not seem to have any shipped games. The best game of the titles they are listing as their devs have worked on is Seven. While an entertaining game, who knows who and how many worked on that? The rest of the games are everything from poor to mediocre.

Now, I don’t want to come off as an asshole here and say the game is doomed, or anything like that. But, you would think, to revive a semi-dead genre, it would require a little more than being one game out of seven currently in the works on what looks like a Russian shovelware list. I hope to be proven wrong here, I want something epic to play, and from what I have seen it looks great. However, I think my personal hype took a bit hit here. I honestly thought it was made by a dev with only one game in focus, as in a serious attempt at a revival… But I guess we will see.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Tempest Rising - Unit Spotlight: DYN Porcupine
2be45e86a82d34681a28bd61f3fcdd07470d0363.jpg

Birthed in the aftermath of World War 3, the Porcupine MLRS is capable of raining rockets down on the enemy from an impressive range at the cost of a lengthy reload time.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I don't like the look of the vehicles. They look like toys.

Quatlo

Arcane
Tempest Rising - Unit Spotlight: DYN Porcupine
2be45e86a82d34681a28bd61f3fcdd07470d0363.jpg

Birthed in the aftermath of World War 3, the Porcupine MLRS is capable of raining rockets down on the enemy from an impressive range at the cost of a lengthy reload time.
Cartoonish MLRS reskin. It doesn't even try to be something new, its just MLRS but with RA3 coat of paint.
*yawn*
End of Nations had much better unit design, good voice acting and great ost. Too bad morons that were leading it jumped the moba bandwagon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You’ve heard “Strike and Retreat”
Now, Hexenkraft is back with another visualizer to sate the tactics junkies.
Presenting: “Tactical Response”

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why can't they just have a cool militaristic artstyle? How hard can it be? Red Alert 3 received heavy criticism for that cartoon shit but no one seems to care.

It's a miracle already the graphics are kinda realistic and not that pastel cartoony mobile shit games usually go for this days.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
So what's the third faction, other than Not GDI and Not NOD? Underground monsters disturbed by nuclear war? Hopefully not outer space aliens. Although even a Tiberium Wars clone would be nice at this point. I also have high hopes because they mentioned customizable factions. Hopefully that includes some exclusive upgrades and not just straight up buffs.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Why can't they just have a cool militaristic artstyle? How hard can it be? Red Alert 3 received heavy criticism for that cartoon shit but no one seems to care.
To be fair, Tempest Rising's style still isn't as bad as RA3 or, ancestors forgive me, Tiberium Twilight.
It's not as good as RA2 or Tiberium Sun's, but it isn't quite full Mobile Game / Moba level where everything has bloom and bright pastel colours.

TR seems to use a much darker, more somber pallet with some glowing lights to serve as a contrast, which I prefer to RA3's aesthetics which tries to blind you.
It's closer to Tiberium Sun in that respect.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
That design is pretty disgusting, I'll avoid it whenever I can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom