Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

Reinhardt

Arcane
ok. back to wots 4

Suicidal

Arcane
No fantasy elements in an 100h open world game? No demons, undead etc.?
After playing Wo Long, I actually think that's a good thing. Almost all the human bosses in that game are good and almost all big monster bosses are shit. Of course, a big part of that is that Wo Long's combat system is better suited for fighting humans but something tells me they're gonna use elements of that in Ronin, so I hope that ditching the fantasy stuff will force them to be creative with designing different human enemies and bosses that are fun to fight and don't feel samey.

Anyway, at this point the game seems to be vastly different to everything they've been making so far, so I'll withhold my judgement until I actually see people play it. Not like I'll be playing it myself anytime soon on account of it being PS5 only for now.

cruel

Cipher
No fantasy elements in an 100h open world game? No demons, undead etc.?
After playing Wo Long, I actually think that's a good thing. Almost all the human bosses in that game are good and almost all big monster bosses are shit. Of course, a big part of that is that Wo Long's combat system is better suited for fighting humans but something tells me they're gonna use elements of that in Ronin, so I hope that ditching the fantasy stuff will force them to be creative with designing different human enemies and bosses that are fun to fight and don't feel samey.

Anyway, at this point the game seems to be vastly different to everything they've been making so far, so I'll withhold my judgement until I actually see people play it. Not like I'll be playing it myself anytime soon on account of it being PS5 only for now.

That's true, I also like human bosses the best, Lu Bu was the best fight in Wo Long for a reason (didn't play the DLCs yet). I'm just concerned that if humans are the only enemy type possible, and the game will be on a longer side, it would be very difficult to keep combat fun and engaging - but let's hope I'm wrong here. I didn't like the big beast boss fights, but I actually enjoyed fighting Enki, Ippon-Datarra, Nure-Onna, Waira or those Magatsu Warriors. And Wheelmonks, of course.

Suicidal

Arcane
So it's Nioh stances + Wo Long parrying (seems to be actual parrying rather than deflecting, since your character is stopping attacks with his weapon rather than redirecting) in terms of combat. Could be interesting. I wonder what the boss fights are like.

REhorror

Educated
Hyped as fuck for this game.

But PS5 exclusive man, when will they ever learn.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
For some reason the open world gameplay reminds me of ACB...

This is meant to be like Way of the Samurai where you have multiple factions you can join leading to different missions and endings?

The release date also doesn't do them any favors

REhorror

Educated
For some reason the open world gameplay reminds me of ACB...

This is meant to be like Way of the Samurai where you have multiple factions you can join leading to different missions and endings?

The release date also doesn't do them any favors
I don't think to WoTS levels but hopefully there will be factional endings.

REhorror

Educated
Also, I'm on based Chadgunate side on this.
Fuck Meiji and fuck westernizing Japan.

LONG LIVE THE SHOGUN!
LONG LIVE THE SHINSENGUMI!

Spike

Educated

LONG LIVE THE SHOGUN!
Himura Kenshin would like to have a word with you.

REhorror

Educated

LONG LIVE THE SHOGUN!
Kenshin was an assassin and he got hired by the Meiji govt (the actual person was this guy: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Kawakami_Gensai)
He was still guilty tho.

The birth of decadent Japan was partly due to Meiji westernization.

With foresight in mind, I'd have chosen the Shogun and samurai over the western capitalists any days.

Spike

Educated

LONG LIVE THE SHOGUN!
Kenshin was an assassin and he got hired by the Meiji govt (the actual person was this guy: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Kawakami_Gensai)
He was still guilty tho.

With foresight in mind, I'd have chosen the Shogun and samurai over the western capitalists any days.
Sure but no other nation has westernized as well as Japan. Though I suppose that is part of the problem. And we wouldn't have vidya. Though I suppose that would be a small price to pay for the sovl of a nation.

REhorror

Educated

LONG LIVE THE SHOGUN!
He was still guilty tho.

Sure but no other nation has westernized as well as Japan. Though I suppose that is part of the problem. And we wouldn't have vidya. Though I suppose that would be a small price to pay for the sovl of a nation.
Considering the modern nippon pop culture idolize the Shinsengumi, it's kind of a hint hint.

Anyway, given the choice, Shogun all the way.

REhorror

Educated
Like, samurai, like most "smart troops and elite troops" are ranged troops, ranged is just the more efficient way to kill.

Bows, guns, crossbows and even spears/pikes (huge range).

Sword/katana is more about CQC, closed room fight developed when they are ambushed during meetings and such.

Spike

Educated
Guns are ironically one of samurai's main weapons (when they got them).

They should have rebranded themselves (when they got them) so as not to ruin my future atmosphere.
A samurai is skillful in all weapons, you fool.
t. Book of the 5 rings reader
Based. Guns are fine as long as they are only one tool of many, which they seem to be in this game. A classic image of Sakamoto is with the revolver + blade. The sword shall always be the most elegant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom