Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And in the trailer the guy with the revolver seems like a villain

Plus it's an RPG set in the 2nd half of the 19th century, on a nation that had access to the global market
Why in the hell shouldn't the players be allowed to use a fairly common firearm?

quaesta

Educated
And in the trailer the guy with the revolver seems like a villain
He is the villain, because he's the only guy smart enough to see past the protagonist's tricks. Everyone else was playing to his fiddle.
Also to pivot back to the firearm usage discussion, while you speak an argument for it in a pratical sense, I will go with a RP argument.
Just because there IS guns in the game, doesn't you have to use them. You could forgo them and go as a traditional sword/spear combo, further strengthening the samurai aesthetic of your character. In Way of Samurai 4 I had runs that were like that, and it allowed me to roleplay as the traditional samurai.

Jinn

Arcane
This shit needs to come out on PC, and fast. Guess we'll get it in 6 months to a year after the PS5 release. Fucking exclusives, man.

Elttharion

Learned

setting katana on fire for extra damage
EcxYJEXWAAAILve

:shredder:

911 Jumper

Educated
Posted this in General, but thought I'd post it here, too
It is obvious that Team Ninja titles are not designed to be easy to play for everyone, he said, but we wanted to make this title more accessible to a wide range of players. We have developed three distinct difficulty modes that players can choose based on their preferences. The first is’ for storytelling-oriented players, who want to live the story and play without much difficulty. Then we have an intermediate mode for players used to this kind of experience. Finally, we have a more challenging mode that fits more closely with our previous games and meets the needs of hardcore players and Souls-like fans.
Rise Of The Ronin To Feature Three Difficulty Modes, Confirms Team Ninja

cruel

Cipher
Good games have ONE difficulty mode. More and more red flags about this game to be honest, but I will still buy it nevertheless.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Good games have ONE difficulty mode. More and more red flags about this game to be honest, but I will still buy it nevertheless.
This is a rubbish statement. Armored Core 6 has 1 difficulty and is worse for it. It's a fucking cakewalk if you know what you are doing and mostly a brain dead experience. Compare that to something like Ace Combat and every other action where you can rise up to a higher challenge. The issue with one fucking difficulty is that one difficulty will somehow need to serve both casuals and hardcore gamers at the same time. And there is no room to test yourself further once you achieve mastery as well.

deuxhero

Arcane
Classic Falcom had the best solution: Build the game around the highest difficulty, and make all the other ones various nerfs to difficulty.

911 Jumper

Educated
Let's not forget Ninja Gaiden 3's Hero Mode. Yosuke Hayashi was Director and Producer on that game. If I am correct, he is also a Producer on Rise of the Ronin
Hero Mode in the game, a new approach for the series that's pushing to attract gamers who are more casual than the game's usual hardcore crowd.

In this drastic departure for the series, all blocking and evading will be performed automatically. We know that every Sigma fan's stomach just turned over, which is understandable as these two techniques are the basic elements of the game's fighting engine. Anyone who's rolled the end credits of these games knows what an elite club they're in just by taking a glimpse of the online leader boards, which are only unlocked upon completion. We can definitely understand anyone who might feel betrayed by this new mode, but Team Ninja is injecting a much deeper story into the game than we’ve seen before and they want everyone to be able to enjoy it evenly.

When Game Informer asked Team Ninja’s producer Yosuke Hayashi if it would be possible for gamers to die in Hero Mode, he replied: “As for whether players will ever see a ‘Game Over’ screen... we haven’t decided yet.”
Ninja Gaiden 3's Hero Mode Explained

Suicidal

Arcane
I see nothing wrong with difficulty levels if everything is balanced properly. If someone wants to play the game with 1 hand to watch all the cutscenes more power to them, as long as I can select a hard difficulty that is actually challenging beyond just increasing all the numbers not in your favor.

REhorror

Educated
I'm for difficulty level, as hard as it can be. Bring in the custom sliders too.

Bring in the pain, artificial difficulty is game journo term.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This is a rubbish statement. Armored Core 6 has 1 difficulty and is worse for it. It's a fucking cakewalk if you know what you are doing and mostly a brain dead experience.

FromSoft has always been about choosing your own difficutly ingame though.

Armored Core 6 isn't super hard by any means, but usually if you want a decent challenge, don't use Stun Needles. I mean i'm exagerating but honestly in the main that's pretty much the gist of it.

One difficulty setting is best for games where the difficulty lies in figuring out and adpating to the design. Fudging around with numbers doesn't really do much of anything in the Dark Souls games. If you can't figure out how a boss work having more health or extra damage won't help you, and trying to redesign boss patterns for the sake of having different difficutly settings would be a colossal amount of work for basically zero pay off. It's much easier, and much more logical, to give the player alternative means to overcome certain obstacles, like summons and so forth.

Difficutly settings in most games are usually half assed to begin with. Just change some numbers (damage and health values, number of enemies etc) around and call it a day. Occationally if the developers put some effort they'll maybe change how the AI work at higher settings but really that's pretty much the extend of it. This approach really does't do much for games like Souls. It's why in most of them NG+ is usually just really lame.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
This is a rubbish statement. Armored Core 6 has 1 difficulty and is worse for it. It's a fucking cakewalk if you know what you are doing and mostly a brain dead experience.

FromSoft has always been about choosing your own difficutly ingame though.

Armored Core 6 isn't super hard by any means, but usually if you want a decent challenge, don't use Stun Needles. I mean i'm exagerating but honestly in the main that's pretty much the gist of it.

One difficulty setting is best for games where the difficulty lies in figuring out and adpating to the design. Fudging around with numbers doesn't really do much of anything in the Dark Souls games. If you can't figure out how a boss work having more health or extra damage won't help you, and trying to redesign boss patterns for the sake of having different difficutly settings would be a colossal amount of work for basically zero pay off. It's much easier, and much more logical, to give the player alternative means to overcome certain obstacles, like summons and so forth.

Difficutly settings in most games are usually half assed to begin with. Just change some numbers (damage and health values, number of enemies etc) around and call it a day. Occationally if the developers put some effort they'll maybe change how the AI work at higher settings but really that's pretty much the extend of it. This approach really does't do much for games like Souls. It's why in most of them NG+ is usually just really lame.
I'd rather take a half-assed stat buff than the pure monotonous boredom I'm being put through in Armored Core 6. I don't use the stun needles, the only spikes for the game come at bosses. And even that is not much, my first experience on a particular hyped up boss was underwhelming. And since the game asks you to beat it thrice, I couldn't make it through the second playthrough cause I was bored out of my mind.

Also, asking players not to use game mechanics is pretty shit. I can ignore stuff like Summons because they are atleast not part of the core game, but asking to ignore properties, weapon types etc.. doesn't seem reasonable. The reason Dark Souls and soulslike has the broad appeal it has is because you can overcome challenges through grinding + a bunch of other ways like summon and shit. It is obv. not the way we play the game and the grind looks a monumental chore. But, considering avg. playtime on DS1 for example is 70-ish and I beat the game in 35 the first time, I have my doubts. Plus for games like Nioh, it seems like the health and damage the dudes on youtube does on bosses and my experience are vastly different. I was doing puny damage and dying in 2-3 hits, while most of the walkthroughs or whatever on yt are able to tank and deal so much more, meaning they grinded or there is a large gear disaprity.

Anyway, from what I've played off Elden Ring, they certainly errored on my side (harder) than the other(easier) side. Too bad the rest of the game is watered down and has too many broken shit to abuse.

You are right on most games half-assing their difficulty. Sometimes we get great difficulty balancing like DMC, rest of the time it's retarded modifiers applied. I understand they can't cater to me, and I'll probably not cater to me either. I'm struggling to keep myself awake playing the modern "difficult" games. Nier Automata's hard is broken but atleast I can play through it without falling asleep. And I honestly rather take that than nothing.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem with Armored Core 6 is that it doesn't have a debt system. That's what makes it too easy in my book. You don't get punished for failure.

As for Elden Ring. Like most FromSoft games, fudging numbers doesn't do much to make the game harder and you can't expect them to redesign every boss and every mob to have different attack patterns for different difficutly settings. That would take an insane amount of time. I think it's just better to have ingame means to make the game easier if need be. You don't have to use summons or any of the broken shit. I never used spirit ashes once. I don't see the problem with that. I consider it a far better approach to difficutly because it's organic and you have more control over what's going on. It's up to you whether you want to the make the gamme easier and when, literally tailoring the difficutly to your liking as you go along.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
A recent example of how fudging numbers doesn't do much in FromSoft games is the Sekiro playthrough i just did recently. As soon as i got to the Demon Bell, i turned it on and never took it off and even forgot it was there. The fact the bosses hit harder didn't seem the change the game all that much for me. If you can figure out the patterns of enemies you are not going to get hit anyway, and if you can't, dying in two hits instead of three hits isn't that much of a difference. Having bosses do less damage if you suck at deflecting their attacks isn't going to change anything. You are still gonna get wrecked.

REhorror

Educated
The problem with Armored Core 6 is that it doesn't have a debt system. That's what makes it too easy in my book. You don't get punished for failure.
And the fucking checkpoint system. Should've atleast given us a mode where that garbage is disabled.
Checkpoint means you don't get S ranking, it's a decent system for people who want to go further beyond.

Also, EVERY single player games are about self-limiting or what, because AI hasn't developed to the point where they can develop their own countermeasures on the fly yet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How many people even own a PS5?

I checked and Demon Souls remake sold around 1.4 million copies. That seems pretty low to me, and i can only assume being restricted to the PS5 hurt sales.

Doktor Best

Arcane

I checked and Demon Souls remake sold around 1.4 million copies. That seems pretty low to me, and i can only assume being restricted to the PS5 hurt sales.

About 50 million. Keep in mind Demon Souls remake has been a PS+ game pretty much since release.

deuxhero

Arcane

Insomniac's inability to do network security has confirmed the current sales of the DS2 remake are 1.941 million as of late feb/early march 2022 (2 weeks after Forbidden West released) and hit 2.083 million... sometime after Feb 2023 (No date given, but Returnal is present)? Remember the remake is total shit and inferior to the original: It did not deserve to sell.

cruel

Cipher
I was reading through this:

Rise of the Ronin Preview

The part that makes me worried:

A key distinction between Team Ninja’s previous work and Rise of the Ronin is that the fantasy elements of the previous games have seemingly been largely dropped. You’ll no longer be battling 50-foot bosses and demons around every corner, instead, you’ll be using your cunning and skill to get the drop on enemy Ronin.

No fantasy elements in an 100h open world game? No demons, undead etc.? I'm a little bit worried on the enemy variety front in this case, it's very hard to create a game that focuses on fighting mostly humans and doesn't get stale after a while. This, combined with difficulty options, Assassin's Creed style quest design, and more focus on story / narrative (which was never a strong point for Team Ninja), doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

What's also fishy is that the game is about to release in 2 months and still almost zero actual gameplay is shown.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom