Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I skipped 6 because it looked like they nerfed the T&A at the time. I'm sure they waited for all the gayming journalists to post their reviews before they unleashed all the bikini and bouncing booby DLCs.
Based on what I've heard it's a weak game and a step back when compared to DoA5 Ultimate. A lot of the costumes are only available via paid DLC.

I only bought a physical copy because I have all the numbered DoAs and wanted to complete the collection. It's also shot up in price recently and there aren't many copies floating around, so I'm glad I picked it up when I did.
Yikes. I'll wait for a proper DoA, but that's probably impossible in today's world. Atleast I'll always have DoA Xtreme 3. I had to import that one.

911 Jumper

Educated
Yikes. I'll wait for a proper DoA, but that's probably impossible in today's world. Atleast I'll always have DoA Xtreme 3. I had to import that one.
Was tempted to grab Xtreme 3 on Switch, but then I saw the prices. Oh well, hopefully, Team Ninja does something with the franchise this gen.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Was tempted to grab Xtreme 3 on Switch, but then I saw the prices. Oh well, hopefully, Team Ninja does something with the franchise this gen.
Oh for sure. The things they could do with tiddies with today's technology are immense. The possibilities are endless. We just need the homos to fuck off and die.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reading around and people are commenting on the visuals, saying that it looks like a PS4 game and that they expected better, especially with Sony's XDev helping Team Ninja.
Be honest: almost all PS5 games look like PS4 games (not least because most of them are also PS4 games).

TLoU pt 2 looks better than most PS5 games and when they 'remastered' that for PS5 nearly nothing was improved.

911 Jumper

Educated
Reading around and people are commenting on the visuals, saying that it looks like a PS4 game and that they expected better, especially with Sony's XDev helping Team Ninja.
Be honest: almost all PS5 games look like PS4 games (not least because most of them are also PS4 games).

TLoU pt 2 looks better than most PS5 games and when they 'remastered' that for PS5 nearly nothing was improved.
It's true, there are a lot of cross gen games in PS5's library. I think, for me personally, Returnal comes the closest to looking like a current gen game. But then I'm someone who skipped last gen entirely so going from the 7th gen to the 9th gen feels like a big leap.

That said I can see why people jokingly call the PS5 a “PS4 Pro Pro” or a “PS4 Pro 2”. There isn't a Killzone: Shadow Fall or DriveClub type of game to clearly signal a true next gen leap in visual fidelity.

It all only further reinforces my view that the current gen consoles were released too early. Last gen could have gone on for at least another two years.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The Demon's Souls remake is still the best looking game on PS5 and it was a launch title. Seems like incompetence or a lack of money on the devs' part for all these fugly games. The system is capable of jaw-dropping visuals. Callisto Protocol looked pretty incredible as well despite being cross-platform. Team Ninja doesn't have any excuses.

Spike

Educated
The Demon's Souls remake is still the best looking game on PS5 and it was a launch title. Seems like incompetence or a lack of money on the devs' part for all these fugly games. The system is capable of jaw-dropping visuals. Callisto Protocol looked pretty incredible as well despite being cross-platform. Team Ninja doesn't have any excuses.
Don't care, only care about gameplay.

Wo Long looks almost like PS3 game at times and still runs like garbage. I am terrified to even imagine how their games would run if they start looking great. Just due to it being open world this game will probably have terrible performance issues. Look at Elden Ring, FS are usually better at optimizing than TN and ER open world parts have bad framerate drops despite it being mostly empty. It will be a miracle if RotN doesn't end up running like crap.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Team Ninja has pretty much released at least one game each year, in a world where most studios release like one game every 4-6 years. That doesn't leave much time for creating pretty art assets or polishing. Sad that a shovelware publisher like KOEI Tecmo owns them, I would really like to see what they could achieve with enough development time for once.

911 Jumper

Educated
A bunch of Team Ninja's visual artists / graphics tech guys probably left when Itagaki left. Have a look at the game Wanted: Dead. It was developed by ex-Team Ninja/Tecmo members. Visually, Wanted: Dead has that smooth, clean aesthetic that Team Ninja games used to have.

Kefa

Literate

I wish we got a demo. I’ll probably get DD2 if that gets a demo. I like all recent TN games and feel like I know what to expect, but with it being open world I have my doubts if I’ll actually like it. DD2 is an even bigger question but that’s one of the few single player games where you can be an archer so I’m excited at least for that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Team Ninja has pretty much released at least one game each year, in a world where most studios release like one game every 4-6 years.
And that is a strength for them
Lots of small pebbles in short sequence cause more disturbance than big stones separated in large intervals

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Team Ninja has pretty much released at least one game each year, in a world where most studios release like one game every 4-6 years.
And that is a strength for them
Lots of small pebbles in short sequence cause more disturbance than big stones separated in large intervals
Go slap your physics teacher. Then drop some pebbles on your head and afterwards a big rock. Sun Tzu.

Kefa

Literate
Yet another behind the scenes look.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Graphics are gonna take a bashing from reviewers
Considering the poor performance of DD2, coming out the same day too no less, this may actually turn out well for Team Ninja. Maybe someone will even praise them for prioritizing performance over graphics. I would much rather prefer this approach, and I by no means think ronin looks bad.

911 Jumper

Educated
Yeah, this doesn't sound too good

FightinCowboy's early impressions

Quote from him in the comments regarding combat:
My problem is the combat boils down to almost 1 button. You either mash square or put on accessibility and it does the full combo for you. You do this and work in a ability at the end of your combo and repeat until you're blocked or parried and then you counter parry until they're staggered. Repeat until you get a critical.

It's staggeringly simple compared to their past titles. It will definitely resonate with a more casual fan base, but if you want high intensity combat you're not getting it here imo
So combat is basically ONE button [Square] and that's the standard mode – i.e. not “accessibility” mode.

I'd expect this in a Suda51 game or a Western character action game, but a Team Ninja game?

PS4-level visuals aren't helping either. Some of those animations don't look too hot –look at the way the horse runs. It's hard to believe that this is an exclusive built with Sony's assistance (via XDev).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom