Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

911 Jumper

Educated
Fed up of seeing games set in ancient Japan

Amurada

Educated
I think that combat against humans is where Nioh's mechanics truly shine, unfortunately the devs put the least amount of effort into designing human enemies in the games - little variety, human bosses are very easily cheesed, etc. So a game with Nioh-like combat that focuses on fighting humans could be very fun. Open world is a huge red flag however and it's PS5 exclusive at least temporarily, so I'll just wait and see.
This tracks with my limited experience with Team Ninja developed games. Primarily have only played the first two Ninja Gaiden titles on release, and the best part was always fighting hordes of ninjas coming from all directions to kill you. I always wished that they would expand upon the different AI quirks for other humanoid units. The games usually falter when it came down to the majority of bosses that didn't fit this mold, and is one of the greater sources of annoyance in the campaigns. I haven't played Sekiro, but the more outlandish battles are much better there, so its not like its inherently bad to do such a thing (and I don't like FromSoft either, so that's the only high praise they'll get from me). Hopefully Team Ninja will realize this eventually, and either look towards Sekiro for non-human related encounters, or even more preferably, just make human enemies much more varied -- I don't even need "bosses", the hordes of ninja enemies are incredibly fun.

911 Jumper

Educated
Fed up of seeing games set in ancient Japan

What games are set in ancient Japan?
5-pages of 3D era games set in ancient Japan at the link
https://www.giantbomb.com/feudal-japan/3015-6789/games/

Team Ninja itself put out Nioh in 2017 and Nioh 2 in 2020. And now we get this.

All medieval Japan, not ancient.
You're right. I should have used either medieval or feudal. The latter is even on the link I posted.

911 Jumper

Educated
There has to be a catch-all term to describe a historical Japanese setting.
historical Japanese setting
Sorry I should have added pre 20th century or pre industrial revolution. A catch-all term to describe the period before that.

Edit
Does the term “historical Japanese setting” automatically make people think of the period before the 20th century?

911 Jumper

Educated
historical Japanese setting
Sorry I should have added pre 20th century or pre industrial revolution. A catch-all term to describe the period before that.
The Meiji era shindig or the Edo era one?
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there a catch-all term to describe the period between the end of medieval Japan and the start of the 20th century?

911 Jumper

Educated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_era_name
Thanks for the link

So between roughly 1185 to 1603 CE the term medieval Japan is used

And then after that the term “Edo period” is used for the years roughly between 1615 and 1868 CE.

Anything after 1868 is regarded as “modern Japan” – this is according to the information at the link.

Rise of the Ronin is set in the 19th century – the year 1863. So it's set in what is regarded as “modern Japan”?

Edit: correction
I got the dates wrong. Modern Japan begins at 1868 not 1848. So the game is set at the end of the Edo period.

Modron

Arcane
Rise of the Ronin is set at the just about the end of the Edo period, the Meiji era didn't begin until 1868.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rise of the Ronin is set at the just about the end of the Edo period, the Meiji era didn't begin until 1868.
I just call them Way of the samurai 3 era and 4 era, come to think of it. That or Kenzan/Ishin :lol:

This looks like shit.

1. Why pick late 19th century? Samurais with revolvers? Potpourri of crap.
2. A good Japanese historical game would be set much earlier, and focus on classical samurai depiction, ala Kurosawa films. You know, slow, drawn out duels, where everything ticks down to a quick moment of lethal resolution. Instead, I see people doing gymnastic spins in mid-air, fighting like cartoon characters, and other bullshit. Time to grow up.

cruel

Cipher
Porky, have you played Ghost of Tsushima? I think you would like it.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Over the top combat is usually a Team Ninja thing. You don't have to like it, but that is how it is.

If you want a Kurosawa style game, check out Trek To Yomi.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Samurais with revolvers? Potpourri of crap.
A good Japanese historical game would be set much earlier, and focus on classical samurai depiction, ala Kurosawa films.
600px-Yojimbo-swm2-1.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055630/

You know, slow, drawn out duels, where everything ticks down to a quick moment of lethal resolution. Instead, I see people doing gymnastic spins in mid-air, fighting like cartoon characters, and other bullshit. Time to grow up.
Realism != Fun

quaesta

Educated
In his defense, evil brother dude isn't a samurai. Hell nobody's a samurai in Yojimbo, 30 year old mudberry field is a bodyguard, and the rest of the cast are gangsters/innkeepers. Thus, no samurais with guns, both on a literal sense and figuratively (evil brother doesn't carry a sword if memory serves me correctly). Hell the point of the gun was to symbolize how big brother was an evil man, whose been corrupted by western ways.
With that said, his post is still retarded because Samurai did employed guns, such as the matlock rifle in the 1500s.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is what they stole from us:
14352323977_d3bfde13cc_o.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom