Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Trek: Infinite - grand strategy published by Paradox

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
was there ever a good ST game except the masterpiece Bridge Commander?
It wasn't even a masterpiece, it was just adequate and moddable.

Star Trek: Klingon Academy was better in a lot of ways. You could fly into asteroid belts, into the rings of a planet, or inside a gas giant. These were all optional tactics that are absent in BC.

Plus, it had actors from Star Trek 6 in full makeup doing FMVs instead of the weird, triangle-mouthed NPCs of BC.

It was in almost every way a more complex space combat game. The main things it really lacked that BC had was the view of the bridge and, of course, a Federation storyline.
this kinda qualifies: https://www.moddb.com/mods/next-gen...ler/downloads/denacitys-nga-sfc3-mission-pack

this is probably the most significant custom campaign that has been made for KA, although they're just conversions of missions from Starfleet Command 3 to KA's engine

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But after a decade of absolute abuse of the franchise, just seeing those old faces on the cover is probably enough to make me pick it up and try it at least.

Yeah that's what they were going for with Picard. Memberberries. And we know how that turned out.

I'm pretty confident they won't be able to surpass what modders already did for Stellaris. Modders are fans after all, not a bunch of suits trying to "appeal to a broader audience" or some shit

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

01). Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation (PC)
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: Hasbro Interactive | 1999

qHLFFdM.jpg

02). Star Trek: Judgement Rites (PC)
Developer: Interplay Entertainment | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1993

eJpLGz5.jpg

03). Star Trek: Klingon Academy (PC)
Developer: 14 Degrees East | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 2000

GXRytzz.png

04). Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity (PC)
Developer: Spectrum HoloByte | Publisher: MicroProse | 1995

40yzfQ8.png

05). EGA Trek (PC)
Developer: Arcanum Computing | Publisher: Sofsource Inc | 1988

SQ3I3ge.png

06). Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (PC)
Developer: Interplay Entertainment | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1992

kWu6Ac8.jpg

07). Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (PC)
Developer: Interplay Entertainment | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1997

PX5OCdB.png

08). Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard (PC)
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: MicroProse | 1998

bwZQfsU.jpg

09). Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (PC)
Developer: Raven Software | Publisher: Activision | 2000

WH4rlBP.png

10). Star Trek: Generations (PC)
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: MicroProse | 1997

qmBfMq9.png

11). Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen (PC)
Developer: The Collective | Publisher: Simon and Schuster | 2000

PtavExk.png

12). Star Trek: Starfleet Command (PC)
Developer: 14 Degrees East & Quicksilver Software | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1999

iwqNwyS.png

ArchAngel

Arcane

qHLFFdM.jpg

eJpLGz5.jpg

GXRytzz.png

40yzfQ8.png

05). EGA Trek (PC)

SQ3I3ge.png

kWu6Ac8.jpg

PX5OCdB.png

bwZQfsU.jpg

WH4rlBP.png

qmBfMq9.png

PtavExk.png

Developer: 14 Degrees East & Quicksilver Software | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1999

iwqNwyS.png
You forgot that ST RTS series

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

qHLFFdM.jpg

eJpLGz5.jpg

GXRytzz.png

40yzfQ8.png

05). EGA Trek (PC)

SQ3I3ge.png

kWu6Ac8.jpg

PX5OCdB.png

bwZQfsU.jpg

WH4rlBP.png

qmBfMq9.png

PtavExk.png

iwqNwyS.png
You forgot that ST RTS series
I didn't forget, they are just lower on the (un)official Codex Top 40 Star Trek games.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I didn't forget, they are just lower on the (un)official Codex Top 40 Star Trek games.
I'm genuinely surprised that Generations is so high on that list. I approve, not a lot of people know about it.
Poor starship creator and I agree, its not really a game, its just a really cool visual reference for ship schematics. Also remember that SSC2 and Dominion War work together they were shipped as the same game with SSC2 being a ship editor for DW.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
They've started releasing dev diaries!

The first one even mentions BOTF as inspiration and recreating that experience which is great.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1622900/announcements/detail/5795625563474484021

Dev diary 2...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1622900/announcements/detail/3718340776827509100

Dev diary 3 is on the very thing I've been impressive with the most so far.. that lovely nostalgic TNG art style of their's.. There's something about it that reminds me of STTNG Final Unity's art style in that it was quite realistic but retained a bit of a artistic painted look. They also appear to reveal the full faction lineup of ships and starbases. Not many ships sadly and similar to BOTF back in the day it appears to be pure 24th century TNG onwards with no TOS content (unless it appeared in TNG). Also a bit sad to see the minimalist GUI features almost no LCARS whatsoever, as the LCARS in BOTF really upped the immersion and uniqueness between the races.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1622900/announcements/detail/3716089610951474244

qHLFFdM.jpg

eJpLGz5.jpg

GXRytzz.png

40yzfQ8.png

05). EGA Trek (PC)

SQ3I3ge.png

kWu6Ac8.jpg

PX5OCdB.png

bwZQfsU.jpg

WH4rlBP.png

qmBfMq9.png

PtavExk.png

iwqNwyS.png
BOTF and Final Unity were my favourites.. so many other good ones too though.

I'm genuinely surprised that Generations is so high on that list. I approve, not a lot of people know about it.
Agreed! It's far from perfect (god it could use some fan patches/mods) but I felt it was underrated and forgotten to time so its nice to see it up there in the vote. I did a write up a few years back on both Generations and Final Unity and the different alternative story paths you can take as people can easily play those games and miss a whole bunch of stuff.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I heard they considered Archer era or TNG era for the game but went TNG era in the end

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The first one even mentions BOTF as inspiration and recreating that experience which is great.
This means jackshit because New Horizons stated this. New Horizons was the inspiration as New Horizons was inspired by BOTF.
To make matters even worse they recently broke both star trek mods for Stellaris, I now get CTDs when ever I try to run either.
Should be obvious to anyone what Paradox has done here.

Blake00

Learned
Meh I'm just saying it's nice to see them mentioning BOTF as inspiration instead of pretending it doesn't exist. But yeah of course New Horizons was the true inspiration/what they ripped off.. no one's getting fooled by that. Paradox probably told them that they can't mention New Horizons anywhere at all for legal reasons lol.

NwNgger

Educated
It just looks like a shitter and more cut down version of New Horizons. Why would I play this over that? NH has progressive era changes, a larger galaxy, less railroading, a shitload more factions, and a less lazy UI. This just seems like a lazy cash grab because New Horizons is popular.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It just looks like a shitter and more cut down version of New Horizons. Why would I play this over that? NH has progressive era changes, a larger galaxy, less railroading, a shitload more factions, and a less lazy UI. This just seems like a lazy cash grab because New Horizons is popular.
Because pirating Stellaris and installing mods on top of it is much more complicated than just pirating this game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Already mixed on Steam; that really doesn't bode well. Another cash grab – it's not even in the top sales, which is quite surprising considering it has the Star Trek license.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
My initial impressions, after approx 5 hours of casual play:

Positive:
  • - It feels somewhat different to New Horizons, in certain ways that I can't articulate fully right now, until playing further
  • - Some of the in-game art is pretty decent; on par with the Star Trek Adventures RPG rulebooks in places
  • - Initially I didn't feel the Star Trek theme as strongly as 1990-2000 games, but a sense grows over time
  • - The random events and missions so far seem to be about as decent as those in base Stellaris
Negative:
  • - It is not different enough to New Horizons
  • - It also feels close to base game Stellaris at times
  • - Where it differs from New Horizons, it is arguably an inferior interpretation, the chosen differences on this path being less astute
  • - The music is poor (no echoes of Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Cliff Eidelmann or Dennis McCarthy - inferior to BOTF)
  • - Some of the voice work is poor; I seem to recall a Klingon bark sounding like a call centre salaryman - voice work needs replacing
  • - Needless references to some of the nuTrek TV garbage, such as the USS Ceritos as an early order bonus - who wants that?
  • - Feels very low budget in some places; for example as I mentioned a truly faithful soundtrack would have elevated it substantially
I have a growing suspicion the game had some woke devs of the unconscious conformist type - there was a dialogue box about reparations to colonists for land Starfleet Headquarters was built upon - another dialogue box's confirmation button read "Diversity is Our Strength" - a lot of character portraits for aliens are black skinned to the extent you wonder if there is an algoritm bias - actual 1990s Star Trek, coming from an American society was then 80% white, broadcast in a then 99.9% white Europe, of course mainly used Caucasian actors for background aliens.

clVqKMu.png

QjOc45V.png

In spite of this I still enjoyed playing. The 4X cycle is always one of the most addictive gameplay loops in gaming. You want to see what will happen with just a couple more colonies, or when that Starbase around Beta Penthe has finished building. It had the potential to be a good game, if treated with more time and effort by the developer. It could still be improved post-release by the developer, through the replacement of some cheap assets like the voices. Whether that will happen, is anyone's guess. Games should release as finished products anyway. Right now, it doesn't really justify itself against New Horizons. However, not everyone uses mods; an official game will be fresh to some portion of the casual audience. Given everything, it would still be a fairly decent Star Trek game, in the sense that there are few enough strategy releases to choose from, and it plays okay. So essentially, not ideal, but still enjoyable. "Mixed" is about right. "Flawed" might be another impression. More thoughts after I really play it further.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So far I like it, it's Stellaris but Star Trek which is all I wanted it to be, and focused around my favorite Trek era. There's a few annoying bugs, like characters showing up as the wrong species (the Federation President T'Pragh is listed as "human" and the game seems to think Earth is the homeworld of Andorians) but nothing game breaking.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
it's... alright.... but there's some odd things that bug me, such as the fact that you have to research photon torpedos (despite the fact they've been in use since the mid 22th century), or the fact that Denobula is uninhabited for.. some reason or another

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom