Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Trek: Infinite - grand strategy published by Paradox

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i like the the random events and anomalies a lot - they are *very* Star Trek, and Infinite has the same cohesive glue that makes Stellaris fun, but the way the tech tree is organized is insanely stupid, and it would only make sense if the game started out in the 2150's, not turing the TNG era

i can get rebalancing technology from a gameplay balance perspective, but otherwise having to re-discover technologies that have existed for several centuries already is just dumb

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
supB9jj.png

They added Cardassian niggers.

So much modding is going to be required to get this shit to even close to being worth it.

Also, there's only one map and one galaxy size.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's like barebones stellaris, it's only for most hardcore trekkies.
star trek: new civilizations for stellaris is much, much more substantial and it'll allow you to carry out just about any alternate history fantasy you can think for star trek, but it's considerably more raw in terms of production quality; it is, however, shockingly well optimized for a stellaris total conversion.

star trek: infinite is considerably more polished, but it's missing... a lot. it feels barren. it feels like one step forward, two steps back if compared to star trek: new civilizations

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It should really be a $15 DLC. Playing through it when I tried it was pretty mind numbing. It's an empty game.

It looks fantastic though, yes. Even if they messed up the weapons and sound design.

Also, the music is some of the blandest stuff ever and sounds almost nothing like Star Trek.

The only plus I can give them besides the graphics is that they did insert quite a few callbacks to ST episodes. But in a way that just makes it worse, since they're ripping off Star Trek plotlines for their quests.

Blake00

Learned

Interesting that story wise they appear to be basing it around the yesterdays enterprise alternate universe but presumably before the Feds start losing the war to the Klingons and you get to 'set a new path'..
Reminds me of a great Civ4 Star Trek mod scenario set in that timeline as well where you gotta try and turn the war around for the Feds. I show it around the 9:30 mark of this video..

I never play day 1 releases anymore and from what I'm seeing this one is no exception and it's definitely gonna be a long time before I bother to try it lol. Anyway I'll keep following it's progress.. speaking of which it looks like they've put some more dev diaries out around the release period..

Dev 4 is stuff on story..
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1622900/announcements/detail/3716090245658444628

Dev diary 5 talks about bug fixing and hints as to whats being added next (Ferengi buildings & Dyson sphere)..
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1622900/announcements/detail/6479049341162309645

Dev diary 6 is now out too talking about how the day 1 release was a bit of a disaster lol. And am I seeing things or do they openly admit to some Stellaris mods being transferable lol?
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1622900/announcements/detail/3720595112955731803

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Dev diary 6 is now out too talking about how the day 1 release was a bit of a disaster lol. And am I seeing things or do they openly admit to some Stellaris mods being transferable lol?
I think it means someone made the same mod for it as they did Stellaris, not that they just used Stellaris a mod. It's just a small interface tweak, iirc.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I tried the Star Trek: New Civilizations mod, and I was really impressed by the amount of content.

That said, the tech tree and balance are completely FUBAR. The designer added +1 to whatever stats techs that repeat infinitely. So, it makes the the tech RNG problem from vanilla Stellaris 10x worse. Especially since there are several different weapons techs, which each need to be improved individually, and you get all of them, even if you use the ingame menu to try to focus on one or two.

And ship techs also increase ship cost. So the more advanced you get, the less capable you are of building ships.

So the gameplay is: get a bunch of techs you don't want, increase the cost of your ships and hope the AI isn't getting better RNG than you.

Makes me miss standard techtrees more than ever.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
And ship techs also increase ship cost. So the more advanced you get, the less capable you are of building ships.

One of our ships could destroy the entire Klingon fleet! ... but they're only theoretically possible to build.

Our top physicists have designed the perfect starship, but there aren't enough resources in the galaxy to construct one.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might come off as heretical, but I'm having much more fun in this than regular Stellaris. I enjoy the setting (as in being a Star Trek fan), the slower pace, and you actually have a purpose, instead of just expanding and fighting lulzy alien races with weird names with matching ideologues. The game seems to work more like a campaign, than the usual sandbox, which is fine with me - and I actually think that is what does it for me. The structure is great. Sure, stuff can always be expanded & improved, but I feel pretty immersed as it is already. Probably the best Paradox game in years for me.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
One of our ships could destroy the entire Klingon fleet! ... but they're only theoretically possible to build.

Our top physicists have designed the perfect starship, but there aren't enough resources in the galaxy to construct one.
Basically, yeah. If the progression continues, you could conceivably research yourself into losing the game.

The modder tried to compensate for this I guess by sticking a bunch o cost reduction +1 techs and infinite +10% resource techs.

But the result of the extra techs is that tech RNG is even worse.

Want to research bigger ship designs? Nope. You get to pick from a handful of +X% techs. And the ironic thing is that the +X% techs are superior in a way at some point, since they don't come with an associated resource cost increase. Your ships just get better for free.

It's a classic case of modders not understanding gameplay, and of Stellaris' dumb RNG tech system ruining the game.

There really should be a selection of guaranteed tech paths for important things with branching pathways. Everything else can be RNG, so you'll still have rare techs, but none of this losing a war because you didn't get any new weapons techs or ship size increases for 100 years.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
(Talking about Star Trek: Infinite now.)
Might come off as heretical, but I'm having much more fun in this than regular Stellaris. I enjoy the setting (as in being a Star Trek fan), the slower pace
A much slower pace. As in, nothing happens.

You can go through the entire TNG era, all the way to the end of Voyager, in a couple of hours, and (unless you force it or mess up) with no major wars.

No Dominion war even. How do you make a TNG-era Trek 4x with no Dominion war? The game is like a hollow shell. A platform for DLC. The original release of Stellaris was a far more complex game.

Btw, they couldn't figure out a late game event for other races, so every race just gets a Borg event with Captain Janeway.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A much slower pace. As in, nothing happens.
Yeah, I guess that would be my main issue in my current campaign - that the AI is a bit passive. I'm playing the Federation according to the lore (RP, I guess), so I can't exactly conquer anything. Diplomacy seems too powerful overall in Stellaris. The faction shifts from being mega-hostile for that planet you burnt to a crisp, to being friendly in a couple of years. I want a nemesis for life god dammit.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I wrote a review, which you read here, or down below if interested.

In preparation for Star Trek: Infinite I played a couple of different civilizations in Stellaris with all the minor and major DLCs. While I think it’s a pretty good game, especially now that it has been expanded through countless patches and expansions, I always seem to run into the same issue: total statement and lack of a real purpose. After a while, the galaxy just seems to stop, and kinda “settles in” with nothing major going on, and with that stopping your own civilization’s purpose (this is with roleplaying in mind). The sandbox nature of the game can only take me so far, and I can’t say the silly randomly generated civilizations you meet help much with this. This is where Star Trek: Infinite comes in.

Beam me up!
While these two games share engine and gameplay, the Star Trek: Infinite campaign format in a known universe with set lore feels much more engaging. You see, this game will always take place in the alpha quadrant in the Star Trek: Next Generation (Deep Space Nine, and Voyager) timeline with four civilizations to pick from (Federation, Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians). What this does, especially if you are a big fan of Star Trek – is that you will always have a clear purpose for your playthrough, with complementing lore events that follow a strict storyline – however, viewed out of the eyes of the different factions depending on who you play.

Live long and prosper

That’s not to say that there aren’t any sandbox elements, because there are – considering you still pick who to ally and who to go to war with. However, with the more zeroed-in focus, the gameplay feels much tighter with less meandering. A big bonus is that you don’t have to put up with human devourers or something silly like that! This works best if you are a huge Star Trek fan, not very surprising perhaps. Otherwise, the game might feel like a lesser version of Stellaris, and it seems many people fell into this trap – hence the poor reviews on Steam. If you think you would appreciate a tighter experience with Star Trek as the theme, you can’t go wrong here, but you must set your phasers correctly before jumping in.

Differences
While the majority of the gameplay remains Stellaris, there are a few key differences. It’s a much slower experience, as it doesn’t run for as long, and you will probably not be able to amass the same ridiculous fleet power. Battles will involve fewer ships in general, but I managed to have a couple of massive battles if we go by Star Trek standards. The ships also need officers now, beyond just steel and energy. Officers are pretty slow to replenish, at least when it comes to individual ship crew, but when you have a couple of planets running you will not have to worry about manpower too much. It adds another resource to keep track of, and above all, something to consider in tactical combat since a ship with no crew will not be able to defend itself. I like it, and it makes sense in the setting, as officers & crew have always been the focus of every conflict in the show.

The Federation is spreading like a virus
More differences are that spies and espionage are not abstracted like in Stellaris. Here your spies get a ship that you will have to send out on specific missions to planets, or space stations – to subvert populations, steal credits, or sabotage. Starbases don’t have a limit, so you can build and upgrade as many bases as you want. I assume this was changed since you don’t travel in lanes anymore. You can go wherever you want, as long as it’s in your “logistic warp range”. This can be increased by research, or just expanding the empire.

There are many minor civilizations in the alpha quadrant, but what makes these different from the normal main four, is that they are mostly there for the big four to absorb in one way or another – or to guarantee their independence to annoy your adversary (or to provoke war). They do have some autonomy, however, they will never reach the same kind of power as the Big Four. When I played as the Federation, I adopted them peacefully into my fold through diplomacy and doing missions for them. As the Klingons, I staged coups and eventually enslaved the population to work in my mineral mines. I find these minor factions and their role in the galaxy pretty interesting, as their existence outside of lore and flavor is to create animosity between the factions. For example, the Bajor civilization is a big thorn in the side of both the Cardassians and the Federation that will cause some friction of “fun”.

Klingon scientist? Now I have seen it all

The last, but absolutely not least addition, or change (however you want to see it) is the “mission tree”, that sets up missions for you to do. If you complete them, you get bonuses of the varying kind. However, they don’t follow a strict linear path, sometimes you will have to pick between two, which will exclude the one you didn’t pick from ever getting completed. Beyond the bonuses, these missions are mostly a fun thing to do that adds story flavor, but now and again they come with more. For example, to get the legendary ship and crew of Enterprise, you will have to complete one of these missions for the Federation. Just make sure to prepare the Earl Grey.

All in all, I think the gameplay reaches a very nice symmetry with the changes and additions working very well together. The only big issue is that the AI seems a bit passive, and is too easily placated through diplomacy. I highly recommend playing on a higher difficulty where they get some bonuses (even if I consider it cheating). This is so they actually dare to venture outside of their comfort zone, and maybe even strike back after you have their envoy decapitated in a Klingon honor duel.

The Star Trek look
When it comes to visuals and general art, I find Star Trek: Infinite stand-out quality. The event pictures are very pleasant to look at and truly immerse you into the world of Star Trek. The music and sound are of a lesser quality, though. It works, but it doesn’t always feel Star Trek, since the voice acting sounds a bit phoned in, and the music muted. The announcer also acts confused – as he or she, appears to announce the wrong things at times puzzling me as to what is going on. I hope this, and some other issues get fixed, but as far as I can tell the developers are constantly patching the game.

The Klingon fleet is ready for anything

Conclusion
If you enjoy Stellaris and like Star Trek (specifically The Next Generation), it’s a good buy. But, as mentioned, you must realize what this is, and what it isn’t. It isn’t a sandbox take on Stellaris with a Star Trek skin – it works more like a (RTS) campaign with set rules and story. If you don’t have any problem with this, I highly recommend Star Trek: Infinite. I’m having a ton of fun exploring, warring in space, and essentially living the Star Trek life. This is the best game Paradox Interactive has released in a long long while according to me, so hats off to the dev team at Nimble Giant Entertainment. I hope it’s a success, and we get to see some DLCs in the future to expand the gameplay.

Thanks for reading.

Blake00

Learned

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I assume you're talking about this.
Yes, TMA. It even has the search for the Katana Fleet implemented. Really ingenious use of the Civ III engine. The map of the Galaxy is old-Canon friendly to a staggering degree, and if you mislike the presence of things such as the First Order or the weird CIS remnant, there's nothing easier than removing them in the map editor. Hell, the typical Civ sounds (wolf howls, bird of prey cry, etc.) have been replaced with sounds of TIE engines, speeder bikes, and such. I've sunk countless hours into playing that mod, and into twisting the map to fit my Sith vision.

*sorry for hijacking your thread, Trekkies :love: No traditional fandom rivalry from me. You will be assimilated.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
A game about the founding of the Galactic Republic in 25,000 BBY, with mapping of new hyperlanes would be pretty cool.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried the Star Trek: New Civilizations mod, and I was really impressed by the amount of content.

That said, the tech tree and balance are completely FUBAR. The designer added +1 to whatever stats techs that repeat infinitely. So, it makes the the tech RNG problem from vanilla Stellaris 10x worse. Especially since there are several different weapons techs, which each need to be improved individually, and you get all of them, even if you use the ingame menu to try to focus on one or two.
One of the biggest differences between the New Civilizations and New Horizons mod is indeed the research.

In general, New Horizons is a lot more overhaul-like with more custom systems and more depth, while New Civilizations is a lot closer to vanilla and somewhat more casual.

I'd probably recommend trying out both, but to me, New Horizons just feels a lot more fleshed out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom