Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Trek: Infinite - grand strategy published by Paradox

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Everybody says that's Stellaris mod because UI and few functions similarities. I'm sure it will be more like Hearts of Iron, with pre-defined factions, rudimentary trade and exploration, and war focus.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Hmmm...
I hope smaller factions like Sheliak Corporate and Tamarians will get some love.

It got. In the DLC.

There be also some "famous leader" or "famous unit"mechanic like in Total War: Warhammer. Heh, maybe even different Universe to choose (first this one from TNG, then TOS, Enterprise, but not Discovery, because nobody like this one).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really have to see a lot more gameplay.
Like most others, I don't really see why I would get that game if I can already have the ST: New Horizons mod.

Not sure what that game could offer that New Horizons does not already do.

It would basically have to be better than Stellaris at what it does to begin with while offering more content than New Horizons... good luck with that :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Like most others, I don't really see why I would get that game if I can already have the ST: New Horizons mod.

It would basically have to be better than Stellaris at what it does to begin with while offering more content than New Horizons... good luck with that :lol:
I never played Stellaris so it might be for people like me

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They'll never be able to capture New Horizon's magic. The Borg, Kahn, the entire Mirror Universe, Terra Prime, Fallen Earth, The fact it has the entire story from ENT to PIC. You can't compete with that.
And then there's all the recent mods for BOTF which are really impressive and put life into a several decade old game. And then there's BOTF2 fan game as well.
What's the point of this product?! its obviously a cash grab. Honestly should've done a star wars game instead now that Palpatine's Gamble no longer works in HOI4. edit: nevermind turns out it recently got updated so even that'd be a dumb idea lol.
What are the required + "best" mods to get the most out of New Horizons?

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Better play in Stellaris. Version 1.0 was a mess, but from 2.0 is a decent game and from 3.0 is great. Plus, is easly modable.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Loathe this on the premise alone: a gutted stellaris ripoff wearing a star trek skin.

The only positive thing i have to say is maybe mid to late game performance might be acceptable unlike current stellaris, at least until they start adding in the DLCs.

Last edited:

Warhawk47

Literate
It's a good thing Paradox is already dead to me. It was bad enough when military history suddenly became the domain of kaiserreich syndicalist memes thanks to HOI4. No intention of watching them botch both the game and the source material at the same time.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Better play in Stellaris. Version 1.0 was a mess, but from 2.0 is a decent game and from 3.0 is great. Plus, is easly modable.
I will wait until release and then compare. Or maybe I should check out these botf2 projects, last time I looked for them about 5 years ago and there was nothing playable out there

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I will wait until release and then compare. Or maybe I should check out these botf2 projects, last time I looked for them about 5 years ago and there was nothing playable out there
Very well. You probably will choose Stellaris, as this new game will start as husk for DLC.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
What are the required + "best" mods to get the most out of New Horizons?
honestly I just play it Vanilla New Horizons, the base mod is so good as is. Its a shame you can't swap UIs within the game itself (something this game clearly has fixed about the only improvement but they're selling a solution to a problem they made from their own idiot incompetence as developers - having to restart to change UIs is stupid). You may want to install the music mods though as they add music from all of the movies and shows.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never played Stellaris. How much does this look to be using base Stellaris mechanics and are those good?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I never played Stellaris. How much does this look to be using base Stellaris mechanics and are those good?

Stellaris is a borderline smartphone clicker. This game looks like a mod for Stellaris (probably Paradox had some kind of agreement with the creator of New Horizons to stop working on the mod).
I really like Stellaris, but compared to other games from this studio, Stellaris is just stupid. So you'll have to decide for yourself whether you like addictive, stupid strategy games.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This game looks like a mod for Stellaris (probably Paradox had some kind of agreement with the creator of New Horizons to stop working on the mod).
Yeah, a lot of Stellaris mods seem to just get abandoned the moment an expansion comes out. Weird.

Then again, mods are seldom maintained forever. Especially in a game like Stellaris that kills its own modability by changing everything from patch to patch.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
This game looks like a mod for Stellaris (probably Paradox had some kind of agreement with the creator of New Horizons to stop working on the mod).
Yeah, a lot of Stellaris mods seem to just get abandoned the moment an expansion comes out. Weird.

Then again, mods are seldom maintained forever. Especially in a game like Stellaris that kills its own modability by changing everything from patch to patch.

Yes. I remember how one patch destroyed avatars hair for almost all mods.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
If I weren't a Trekkie and were just looking at it as a game, it looks boring.

But after a decade of absolute abuse of the franchise, just seeing those old faces on the cover is probably enough to make me pick it up and try it at least.

Of course, I don't plan to pay full price if I decide to buy it. Paradox doesn't deserve it. And I also plan to wait and make sure they haven't fagged it up with LGBT somehow.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
was there ever a good ST game except the masterpiece Bridge Commander?
It wasn't even a masterpiece, it was just adequate and moddable.

Star Trek: Klingon Academy was better in a lot of ways. You could fly into asteroid belts, into the rings of a planet, or inside a gas giant. These were all optional tactics that are absent in BC.

Plus, it had actors from Star Trek 6 in full makeup doing FMVs instead of the weird, triangle-mouthed NPCs of BC.

It was in almost every way a more complex space combat game. The main things it really lacked that BC had was the view of the bridge and, of course, a Federation storyline.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
If I weren't a Trekkie and were just looking at it as a game, it looks boring.

But after a decade of absolute abuse of the franchise, just seeing those old faces on the cover is probably enough to make me pick it up and try it at least.

Of course, I don't plan to pay full price if I decide to buy it. Paradox doesn't deserve it. And I also plan to wait and make sure they haven't fagged it up with LGBT somehow.
I'll just do what I did with stellaris and HOI4, wait until they're in a humble.
Then to get around the DLC problem just play mods because mods don't require the DLCs and usually have better features anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom