Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 3 Reload (ex portable thread)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fatigue was virtually absent after level 20+ anyway so it doesn't sound like a big deal. Besides that P3 was always very easy. Minato/MC being a wild card was never properly balanced and it was pretty effortless to clear most floors with him alone while the other party members were just there for the ride.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am wondering if a game being released day one on Game Pass affects the way developpers are treating difficulty, considering it's a system that encourages to consume various products regularly.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Probably depends on how far in development the game is when it gets negotiated for game pass, if balancing additions or changes are even possible at that point. In the case of Atlus I doubt it. They've been offering a wider range of difficulty options for their games ever since the 3DS era so it's been an on-going thing for them for a good while now. They've also been adding more QoL features that help make their games more approachable for the common gamer. Feels like the culture of Atlus has shifted more toward the generic jrpg market over the years as the old guard have taken a step back and let the new people take the reigns.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I think Persona games are an odd choice to include in game pass given how long it takes to complete them. I doubt that Atlus takes this into consideration: Their current strategy seems to be to just release the games everywhere. The inclusion in game pass is probably just a side-effect of publishing on XBox.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I think Persona games are an odd choice to include in game pass given how long it takes to complete them. I doubt that Atlus takes this into consideration: Their current strategy seems to be to just release the games everywhere. The inclusion in game pass is probably just a side-effect of publishing on XBox.
Theyre an excellent choice precisely because they're too long to beat in a month forcing you to buy a release

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I still suspect that Bobby Kotick is right and subscription services like Gamepass are fundamentally cannibalistic on ordinary sales.

Gamepass is currently priced at ~15% of the going rate for a full price game. Presumably they will start to jack that up in a few years but still, it feels like Microsoft have self-produced a discount substitute of their own products because they've been taken in by memes about the cloud/SaaS/subscriptions in general. The service makes not a lot of business sense in it's current state and it's hard to imagine how it might mutate into something that does. These are the kinds of bizarro services you can only run when you already have a multi-billion dollar market cap.

Anyway, good that the remake seems basically good, though of course I await the standard codex longform post about how it's actually shit and but a harbinger of yet further moral decline.

I've kind of surprised myself by getting into Persona 5 recently. JRPGs, especially anime-type ones, are a long long way from what I am usually into. I still personally find the weebishness of it kind of cringe tbh.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm pretty sure in the original it was a crossdresser not trans. But man imagine the meltdown when they localize the P4 remake.

But on more positive news. It may still be the definitive edition eventually.

Ivan

Arcane
Playing P3R and loving it. My favorite aspect from 4G and 5R were their soundtracks and this one is already delivering some lovely, lovely tunes:

THIS NEXT ONE IS HEAVEN

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Between the dubious art style, the removed features, the streamlined gameplay (fully controllable party and the removal of fatigue mechanics) and the missing content, I'm really tempted to give it a pass this time.

MAYBE IF THEY REMOVE DENUVO.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I'll grab it in a year or two, if they release a complete edition. The Answer will be added as paid DLC from what I understand.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
the streamlined gameplay (fully controllable party and the removal of fatigue mechanics)
I understand the loss of fatigue mechanics, but can you or anyone else explain why fully controllable party is decline? I've seen other people say the same. I played a bit of P3 on PS2 and being able to control only one character turned me off, it wasn't what I was looking for at the time. This isn't a disagreement, I just don't know the game well enough to understand why it's worse.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
but can you or anyone else explain why fully controllable party is decline?

struggling with the dumbshit AI is one of difficulty of P3

that being said giving you full party control AND reducing difficulty by ATLUS part is decline. If anything giving full party control should have made them increasing the difficulty instead

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can always put party members on auto, no? I will always prefer full party control.

TheSoul

Scholar
I prefer having full control over my actions whenever possible unless the game was specifically built to be played that way. In fes, the commands are too generalized and it doesn't take advantage of the system mechanics. If there's multiple enemies and only 1 was weak to zio, you could make akihiko spam zio twice on that enemy or do zio and then he'd immediately end his turn. I would've made him target another enemy so the downed enemy would waste their turn getting back but you can't make the AI do that consistently.

Playing P3R and loving it. My favorite aspect from 4G and 5R were their soundtracks and this one is already delivering some lovely, lovely tunes:

Atlus not doing this for the nocturne remaster still disappoints me. It's a shame they didn't put the tracks from the anime, those are also really good.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
first option when u die to boss (merciless) :salute:
also if u lower merciless difficulty can't go back to that
1707045239333.png

so far its pretty good but only got 3 hours in, difficulty is fine but if I recall correctly early game is the hardest part then after a while you steamroll everything

music / style are both great and combat is same old with baton pass (=good). oh well I would never pay 70 euros for this but costed me 1 euro so it is worth it at least for now

regarding companions AI you can turn it on if you feel like it

KeAShizuku

Novice
I still suspect that Bobby Kotick is right and subscription services like Gamepass are fundamentally cannibalistic on ordinary sales.

Gamepass is currently priced at ~15% of the going rate for a full price game. Presumably they will start to jack that up in a few years but still, it feels like Microsoft have self-produced a discount substitute of their own products because they've been taken in by memes about the cloud/SaaS/subscriptions in general. The service makes not a lot of business sense in it's current state and it's hard to imagine how it might mutate into something that does. These are the kinds of bizarro services you can only run when you already have a multi-billion dollar market cap.

Anyway, good that the remake seems basically good, though of course I await the standard codex longform post about how it's actually shit and but a harbinger of yet further moral decline.

I've kind of surprised myself by getting into Persona 5 recently. JRPGs, especially anime-type ones, are a long long way from what I am usually into. I still personally find the weebishness of it kind of cringe tbh.

The JRPG audience has traditionally been Sony/Nintendo. Not a lot of weebs on Xbox so I doubt GamePass will negatively impact the industry.

jungl

Augur
whats amusing is how the transition to 3d rather then 2.5 3d hurts persona 3 similar to how it hurt rune factory 5. Players notice how repetitive the gameplay loop is and dead the game world is. Full blown 3d world doesn't help when the interactivity with the game world is very limited.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wonder if they will do anything to the story at all

The NDS smt.games when remastered for 3ds have additional plot elements added (⁸th dat for Devil Survivor, new routes for Strange Journey)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom